Diabetic DittoDan’s Blood Work 03-10-2015 Part 1

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
Warning: this will be a long post. There is no way to communicate this in a couple paragraphs.

My background:

I started the Ketogenic WOE @ 314 lbs. I am Type 2 Diabetic, insulin resistant, morbidly obese carboholic. Diabetic for 14+ years. I now am 68 lbs lighter.

I started the Ketogenic diet 8-29-2014. Not knowing what I was doing, at that time, I estimate I didn’t get into ketosis for 6 weeks, and have been Keto ever since. I am a somewhat of a sloppy keto’er, meaning, I sometimes go up to 50 g carbs on a really bad day, as low as 10 on a good day and I am averaging 30 @ day. I am not a disciplined eater like many others on this group. If I can do, you can too.

I went to my endocrinologist last week. Due to a mixup between my family doc (who has the blood work equipment in his clinic) and my endocrinologist, only half of my blood work was done. Meaning I should have had a lipid panel and it didn’t get done. I have to go back and get more blood drawn and have the lipid panel done.

The endo doctor printed out my results from 13 months ago (2/5/14) and there is a side-by-side of last week’s results. First of all, lets talk about some panels I have never heard of before on Keto or LCD. My endo said my blood work improved and that I am doing great. I told him I would Google the different tests when I got home, so lets look at that now. I am cutting and pasting relevant portions from the website www.healthline.com and Webmd. Please note that even though some of the old readings were in the normal ranges, see how the new readings improved.

Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP) test measures the amount of the enzyme ALP in the blood. ALP is made mostly in the and in bone with some made in the intestines and kidneys. It also is made by the placenta of a pregnant woman. The liver makes more ALP than the other organs or the bones. Some conditions cause large amounts of ALP in the blood. These conditions include rapid bone growth (during puberty), bone disease (such as Paget's disease or cancer that has spread to the bones), a disease that affects how much calcium is in the blood (hyperparathyroidism), vitamin D deficiency, or damaged liver cells.

Last year (pre-Keto)___Now:_________Range:__________% change

115________________95___________ 25 - 100________17% improvement, now in range!
Since this is the liver and I am Vitamin D deficient, this must be good news!

Aspartate aminotransferase (AST) is an enzyme found in various parts of the body. The highest concentrations are found in muscle, heart, and liver. A small amount of AST is typically found in the bloodstream. Elevated amounts of this enzyme may signal a health problem.

This test may also be ordered for people at high risk of developing liver problems. Some things that increase risk include exposure to viruses that cause hepatitis, heavy alcohol use, family history of liver disease, diabetes, being overweight.

28_________________21___________10 - 34________25% improvement!

Alanine Aminotransferase (ALT) test measures the level of ALT enzyme in your blood. ALT is an enzyme produced by liver cells. It helps the body metabolize proteins. If the liver is damaged or not functioning properly, ALT is released into the blood. This causes ALT levels to increase. The alanine aminotransferase (ALT) test is used to evaluate liver function. The test is also known as a serum glutamate pyruvate transaminase (SGPT) test or alanine transaminase test. An increased level of ALT in the blood is a sign of liver damage.

43_________________20____________7 - 55_______53% improvement WOW!

So the above three tests show that my liver function has greatly improved since being Keto.

Magnesium Serum Levels I take 800 mg of Magnesium Citrate daily. I no longer have muscle cramps. (no data for last year)

n/a________________2.0___________1.7 – 2.3______its perfect!

HbA1c Hemoglobin A1C Test

This is the test for diabetics to determine the average blood sugar/glucose levels for the past three months. There were years in my life that I didn’t control my diabetes with diet, pills or exercise. My sugars went through the roof. The highest that I remember was over 15. Last year I was taking a bunch of diabetic meds to control it. I wasn’t very good with the timing of the insulin. So my levels were all over the place. Here is a sample of my daily measurements over a six month period back in 2012:

iofyrm2gd9wx.jpg

Click on it to enlarge. Not a pretty sight! The green area is normal. I think 450 is the highest my meter goes to and I pegged it out. Also, if you take too much insulin and/or time it wrong in relation to what you eat and/or if the food is high carb or not, you “go low” (Below 70) which is a horrible feeling. I have been as low as 19. That level is so low ~some people can pass out and die. I was alone to boot. I thank God to be able to talk to you now.

HbA1c test has different units than a hand held meter (as above).

9__________________6.6___________5 – 25_________27% improvement!

This is the first time, since I have been a diabetic, that I now am in the normal range (for diabetics). The measurement of 6.6 equates to an average of about 145 (the units the hand held meters use). A 9 (last year’s) is equal to 212. So, as you can see this is exceedingly magnifical for me!

As I lose another 50 lbs (Lord willing), I’m thinking I will be in the 5 -6 range, which is the normal range for non-diabetics.

That’s all I have for now. I will go to the doctor tomorrow (16th) and have more blood drawn to get my lipid panel (Cholesterol, LDL, HDL, etc). It usually takes a day or so to get the results. So stay tuned.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
My Blog: It's Ketogenic or Bariatric (How I found the Ketogenic Diet)

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Remember, you have to share. I shared my full results even though my total cholesterol was a 250 (not that I care because the numbers that count were awesome). I'm sure they're going to be great. And, most importantly, I can't wait to see how they've improved.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dan, those liver tests are probably the most significant. Your liver dysfunction was likely due to a fatty liver. By losing weight, you have lost liver fat. Your liver is looking very good!

You might also be interested in the AST/ALT ratio:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AST/ALT_ratio
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Great results! Just goes to show this actually works!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Wonderful results, Dan! kcko
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Awesome results Dan! You've put in great effort and it shows. Can't wait to see the additional results.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Great job Dan! And thanks for explaining what some of those are. I get my blood work done 2x a year but I never really know what it all means except for A1C and cholesterol. I had my work up done a few weeks ago when I was about 3weeks into LCHF. It won't get done again until fall so I'm interested to see the effects of the new diet.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Thank you for all the well wishes. I had my blood drawn again today. Should get results back Thursday. Lipids, electrolytes, and a couple other tests.

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to see them! Great job so far! Best to you!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    WELL DONE on part one!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hey, hey, hey, it's Thursday! Let us see those new levels! ;)
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is very well done!! Fantastic work! I agree that the liver numbers are so significant. Looking forward to today's numbers as much as you, haha! Your blog is excellent reading- very helpful.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Cheers Dan! Feels good when your liver is healing, doesn't it. OKOK, I'll go get mine done again. :smiley:
  • cariie
    cariie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I get bloodwork again for the first time next month after starting the process of losing weight, your post was a good reminder to me that its not just about lbs for us, its about changing things that really impact health!

Great job on your liver/ast/asl readings!
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Update: Results not back from doc yet. They called me twice today and we played phone tag. If I get them tomorrow, the soonest I will post will be very late at night, because I go over to a friends to watch TV & movies....

Putting Chocolate Back Together Recipe
    Almond Joy Wanna Be's (fat bomb recipe)
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Dan you ARE the man!!!

Thank you so much for sharing this! Where to start. Where to start with the thank you's! So many reasons this is helpful to me. Especially in all it's long-form glory!

Oh this is wonderful. How nice to have such confirmation that you have moved to such a wonderful place and are still getting better! I can't imagine how mixed up you must have felt and the challenge your life must have been pre keto! So happy for you.

Admittendly I'm a little selfish wench as wel, so l'm also happy for your post because it helps encourage me that *I* am on the right path and could see such results in my own life! That despiste my family (and well meaning friends) concerns of my LCHF choices, the numbers don't lie! That it is not only possible to lose weight but good for you too!

Thank you my friend. So cool to see the before and after. I'm sure the other panel will rock as well.

• DittoDan
    Options
    Ok, I went to the doctor Monday and we talked about my results. He wasn't concerned with all my lipids being on the "bad" side. He said it was more important that I had lost the weight and things will progressively get better as I lose more weight.

He did see I am high on my thyroid (TSH) test, but he said for me not to worry about that either. (@KnitOrMiss?)

He said for me to take Niacin for the high Cholesterol. I Googled it when I got home, and that looks controversial. Any ideas on that?

My electrolytes looked good, but my salt was a little on the low side, I am incredulous, cause I eat a LOT of salt. I love salt.

I made a spreadsheet, and here are the pics. Sorry for not elaborating, but I don't know much about the lipids and they are certainly controversial in regards to the Ketogenic WOE. I am reading "Cholesterol Clarity", but only started. I did look briefly at Peter Attia's website and he said that insulin resistant people may have bad lipid numbers. You tell me how bad they are...

I'm not worried about the numbers, I will not change anything. Stay the course....

pr4k1h9o8lp6.jpg
    mtxnc58chxev.jpg
    v73f0qxft21c.jpg

Comments welcome...

I hope this helps,

Bacon Wrapped Baked Stuffed Jalepenos
    An Alternative to Batch Cooking
    Cream Cheese, Bacon & Chicken

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Hard to tell since you're comparing levels while on statins to those without. Do you know your numbers before statins? My guess: you still have metabolic syndrome, but you're probably improving compared to your pre-statin numbers. It's very unlikely that you'd be in worse shape now, lipid-wise.

I'm a little surprised he recommended niacin. It will reduce triglycerides and increase HDL, but it also tends to raise blood sugar levels.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Dan, I'm so not a data person but you made this really easy to ready and comprehend. This is magnificent. YOU are magnificent because YOU did this. (*)
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Congrats Dan, the A1C is in the normal range. great going!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Dan, WRT your TSH, is it your endo telling you not to worry about it? Mine was at 1.2 at last check and I take meds for it. Thyroid can be tricky. More of a "how do you feel" kind of thing. It can also fluctuate as you are dropping weight. severe calorie restriction over a long period of time can cause it to down regulate as well. I'm not talking IF...you should be fine with that. Just keep tabs on how you feel, and keep it in the back of your mind should you start feeling poorly (tired, fatigued, cold, etc. on a regular basis)

You are doing fantastic. I love all of your positive progress and information sharing.