How low is too low for blood sugar?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ok, here's kind of a interesting study about metformin: http://jaha.ahajournals.org/content/3/6/e001202.full

It says mice given metformin lost weight and had less atherosclerosis than control mice. The kicker is they gave the mice getting metformin a high fat diet (it had plenty of crappy ingredients though it did have cocoa butter and coconut oil also). But they gave the "control" mice a low fat diet! They did this in trying to figure out a mechanism of action, but my first thought was that it is very possible the high fat diet itself that helped! Of course their thought process is because a high fat diet is "bad" for certain markers indicating heart disease in mice, a high fat diet should make it even harder for the metformin group to show results.

Edited: Looking a little closer they did compare High fat alone with High fat plus metformin - that's good. And they did show the metformin group had less plaque in the arteries then the high fat diet alone. So I guess this is a positive for metformin use.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    The Blood Sugar 101 website had a lot of links with metformin info as well: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045911.php

Towards the bottom of the page are links to studies showing metformin may be protective for cancer, heart disease, and "lowers risk of all kinds of fatal outcomes."
  • jerryellis63012
    jerryellis63012 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    pope705 wrote: »
    Normal blood sugar is less than 100, usually 70-100 for non-diabetics. How do you feel? That's the important part. A lot of type 2 diabetics are able to reduce or come off their meds with LCHF, on the advice of their doctor of course.
    I feel great! I haven't taken my meds since after the first week with lowered carbs and my numbers have been great every time I check
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Since starting LCHF, really tracking it like I should, I'm down 4 lbs since last week (yay!) And my blood sugar is reading between 78 and 86, I'm type 2 diabetic, is this considered safe?

Those are good numbers. But no one queried you about diabetic drugs? Are you taking any? If so, which ones, what dosage/frequency?

When you eleminate carbs from your diet, diabetic drugs will lower your BG levels. So, I would test often. Below 60, your will start "going low", (hypoglycemic) which makes you have a lot of not so good maladies that start. Google it. If you are taking insulin, that REALLY has to be watched, you could go so low as to pass out/coma/die. :disappointed:

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    My Blog: Intermittent Water Fasting & Keto
    Blog #9 Fasting, Diabetic ~ Glucose/Sugar Levels
    What If We're Wrong about Diabetes? Peter Attia
    My Blog: It's Ketogenic or Bariatric (How I found the Ketogenic Diet)
    Keto Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used in LCD & Keto Discussion Groups

He says he hasn't taken his meds after the first week of lower carbs. Not sure what meds, but I would think is it wise to check in with your doctor when starting/stopping medication for diabetes. I also want to note that metformin for most people does not directly affect blood sugar levels, and is safe to continue on a low carb or very low carb (ketogenic) diet. I don't even have diabetes (I have PCOS with insulin resistance) and I take it, as it has a number of health benefits.

It's side effect for me was IBS worse than with just carbs, I could try again to see what happens I guess

You mean gastric upset from the metformin? Did you try the ER/XR (extended release) version or just the regular? All my gastric symptoms went away as soon as I switched to ER. I also had IBS prior to starting low carb so I got a double whammy with the regular metformin. I have had no side effects with the metformin ER, however, and low carb cured my IBS.
    I mean pretty severe diarrhea, but did not try XR
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    Ok, here's kind of a interesting study about metformin: http://jaha.ahajournals.org/content/3/6/e001202.full

It says mice given metformin lost weight and had less atherosclerosis than control mice. The kicker is they gave the mice getting metformin a high fat diet (it had plenty of crappy ingredients though it did have cocoa butter and coconut oil also). But they gave the "control" mice a low fat diet! They did this in trying to figure out a mechanism of action, but my first thought was that it is very possible the high fat diet itself that helped! Of course their thought process is because a high fat diet is "bad" for certain markers indicating heart disease in mice, a high fat diet should make it even harder for the metformin group to show results.

Edited: Looking a little closer they did compare High fat alone with High fat plus metformin - that's good. And they did show the metformin group had less plaque in the arteries then the high fat diet alone. So I guess this is a positive for metformin use.

Very interesting, thanks!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I mean pretty severe diarrhea, but did not try XR

Myself & every diabetic friend of mine that starts on Metformin gets diarrhea. It usually goes away in 2-3 days. Sometimes, when I would accidently run out of it for a few days, then start back, I get diarrhea all over again. After talking to my doc & endo, they say that happens a lot. But they say to keep taking it...

And the ER Misti suggests, mitigates the diarrhea.

I hope this helps,

Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    Do You Like Fatty Beef? Try Corned Beef
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My blood glucose has been as low as 3.6mmol (64.8 mg/dl) without ill effects. Without Ketones that would be almost hypoglycaemic.

The optimal for keto is around 80mg/dl (4.4mmol) or less which really gives ketones a chance to be used. I'm talking fasted levels of course.

BTW, I'm not diabetic. I use the glucometer for fun and science! :)
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling well, I wouldn't take it. BUT--you should see your doctor and have him check your A!C, etc. Apparently you didn't take the metformin very long, so you shouldn't have much of a reaction to going off it. Congratulations!

Do let your doctor monitor your progress, and I hope you have an enlightened doctor. If you have readings below 60 often, check with an endocrinologist for LC with/without meds. Just to be safe. (and maybe even to educate the doctors?)
  • jerryellis63012
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This morning's fasting number was 80 so, I guess I'm in Ketosis, haven't got around to getting the sticks for testing, but, really, are they necessary if I'm testing so low all the time?
    Also what I'm hearing from you guys is I won't crash from taking Metformin while being Ketonic? I read the article that stated diabetics and even non diabetics can benefit with a longer life span just by taking Metformin, too.
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I saw a glucose monitor on sale at the drug store and my terrific pharmacist (who knows that I'm insulin resistant and on 2000 mg Metformin/day) helped me set it up, explained how it works, and even helped me with my first stick - before lunch with a 82 reading. Still need to read up on this, and hope it isn't "overkill" or hypochondria that has me interested in doing this. He suggested just doing a reading maybe 2-3 times a week, when I first awake. Forgot to ask about whether it's best to also monitor a reading after a meal. Lots to learn.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    82 is great. Check a couple hours after eating a decent sized meal like lunch or dinner (no exercise after lunch/dinner). Somewhere over 150-160 (this number is controversial) would mean you are diabetic. If you are lo-carbing it, you're probably just fine and will not hit 160.

The much better test for BG levels is the Hc1a test. Next time you get blood work, ask your doctor to check that. If you were never a diabetic, under 6 is good, under 5 excellent.

I hope this helps,

Blog #9 Fasting, Diabetic ~ Glucose/Sugar Levels
    Bacon Wrapped Baked Stuffed Jalepenos
    An Alternative to Batch Cooking
    Cream Cheese, Bacon & Chicken
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Dan! As always good advice. Results from my A1C test in Feb was 5.9 (up from 5.8 from the last test)...My doctor didn't seem concerned and urged me (again) to lose weight which I now have done. Will see what the score is in late May when I next get tested.
    g