April Chat

Options
gramanana
gramanana Posts: 767 Member
Since the April Chat page isn't here yet, and I have wonderful news to share, I thought I would start it. Three years ago today I went gluten free because of an allergy to wheat. It was the best thing I've ever done for myself. It hasn't helped me lose weight, but after 65 years, I am sleeping through the night without any cough medicine or other aid. My previously "chronically" cough has all but disappeared. I had IBS, too, and read that it could take 3-5 years of being gluten free and then the IBS could clear up--I realized while we were on our monthlong trip that I wasn't having a problem! Don't get me wrong, there are still days with issues, but nothing like it was. I had to share this with all of you as part of my celebration of this landmark day. Hope everyone has a great April 1st.

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What happy news to start the month. Glad your efforts have paid off. I understand the challenges of avoiding it all too well. In fact, I think it deserves a thread of its own. I'm going to start one for sharing tips, recipes, and how to cope with it.

Editing this, I started a food allergy thread since gluten isn't the only common challenging food.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10125584/food-allergy-issues
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    @gramanana - That is the best news! I guess it is true -- We are what we eat! Unfortunately, if true, I will be just like Lot's wife and become a pillar of salt! Just can't give that salt shaker up though!
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    What great news to start a new month. :)
    I have spent the last two days spring cleaning the two bedrooms and moving all the furniture round, followed today by Aquafit...I am feeling very nicely tired! Hoping my bathroom renovation will be finished next week. So looking forward to buying all the little things to make it look lovely! And not having to go to the local sports centre to get a shower and wash my hair :|

Let's make April count!

Jean
  • gramanana
    Options
    Jeanrob, congratulations on all your Spring cleaning. I really have to get in that, too.

Grandmothercharlie--I use LOTS of salt. I have always craved it. Last year I decided to cut way back (very difficult) and when I had my yearly blood test, I didn't have enough sodium in my system! So I went back to my normal ways and test fine now. Also, my family has stopped yelling at me for using too much salt. LOL

Thanks everyone,nor all your support.
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I love hearing all this good news. I finished our itinerary for our Boston Trip. My granddaughter called to see if we could fit in one more stop--MIT she said she might want to go to college there! She said she has 8 years to decide!.
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    What great news!! I always enjoy reading great success stories!!
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Great start to the chat! I LOVE salt and have always craved it. I started using Ms. Dash instead of some salt, and it has great different flavors. I love the SouthWest and there is Lemon Pepper etc.. I can cut back some of my salt and still get the good flavor.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Looks like my scale was playing an April fool's day joke on me. I was down another pound today, the day after my weight in day.

I can live with that kind of joke, so thanks Ms. Scale. :D

Our forecast for today is 2-5 ins. of snow. Day before yesterday, we were in the low 80's. That's springtime in the Rockies for you. I will just have to do Walk Away the Pounds video to get in my steps today I guess.

Hope everyone has a great day of choices and results today.

• Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Hi a my MFP friends. B)
    We had a Wonderful day on Tuesday. Our dear friends, (who is also our banker) took us to Wichita to see the Broadway show Chicago. It was marvelous!! DH & I both really enjoy Broadway presentations. But we just don't get to do that much.
    We ate at Texas Roadhouse- and I stayed 100% Paleo. We did not get home till very late but it was so worth it.
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    You guys are keeping busy. Great to see, even despite the spring snow showers.
  • gramanana
    Options
    Thank goodness temps are seasonal here -- 40s and 50s with some 60s thrown in for good measure.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday weekend with family and friends. Ours will be quiet with just the 2 of us, but that's ok. Next week, starting on Thursday night, will be the busy time here. My daughter and her family will be staying with us. My grandaughter is competing in the State Gymnastics event and we live must closer to the venue than they do. She is 9 yrs old and competing in Excel, Child level. Don't ask me how that works, my daughter is the coach, I just go and cheer.
  • gramanana
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosus which is very painful in a sensitive area when it flares up. It is chronic, but can be controlled. I was wondering if any of you had this condition or even heard of it. I know I hadn't heard of it before. I thought if someone else was familiar with this we could compare notes. Supposedly, no one knows what causes it. But maybe there is a way to control it better by changing something in my lifestyle--soaps, foods, clothing? If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know. I know it's a long shot, but thought it was worth a try.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    gramanana wrote: »
    I was just diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosus which is very painful in a sensitive area when it flares up. It is chronic, but can be controlled. I was wondering if any of you had this condition or even heard of it. I know I hadn't heard of it before. I thought if someone else was familiar with this we could compare notes. Supposedly, no one knows what causes it. But maybe there is a way to control it better by changing something in my lifestyle--soaps, foods, clothing? If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know. I know it's a long shot, but thought it was worth a try.

I had never heard of it, but reading about it, it doesn't sound pleasant at all. I hope you can locate a support group and get some good information on controlling it. From what I read gluten has been indicated as a possible cause source, as well as low estrogen in women, who are the one's most likely to get it. So sorry to hear this news.
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear that gramanana. It does not sound at all pleasant. I hope you find some relief.
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Gramanana...I have never heard of it...all best wishes from me x

Jean
  • ashkinb
    ashkinb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry to hear that Gramanana. I had never heard of it either but it sounds very not nice. I hope you have a good dermatologist & other trusted doctor and hope that the 'chronic' can become 'extremely rare'. Beth
  • gramanana
    Options
    Thanks for all the good wishes. I knew it was a long shot, but had to try. As long as I can keep it under control I'll be fine.
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    @gramanana my sympathies. I hope your doc has ways to help.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    So I was reading up on my scale, I have an older Tanita, that gives you body fat %, no. of calories you need to maintain your current weight, and supports 4 users. I was wondering how it differs from the Fitbit's scale, FB's has built in wifi so you can get it to communicate with your phone, pc, tablet etc. The geekgrl in me had to check it out. >:) I decided I would be fine just typing in the information when I need to record it.

I have always known that women have special issues with body fat measuring devices. I found this chart on the Tanita site about what your BF% should be according to your age. I found this interesting.

http://media.tanita.com/data/File/Charts/BF wall chart.pdf
  • gramanana
    Options
    And my health saga continues...today I saw a Pulmonologist and learned that I have a mild form of COPD. I though my asthma was getting worse and it turns out that one of the differences between asthma and COPD is that asthma doesn't get worse and COPD, at least, when untreated, does. That's what I've gotten out of my research so far. I will start a low dose of Symbicort tomorrow and hope it helps without any serious side effects. If anyone has any advice or info, please let me know. Let it be known that 65 is the year I started aging. LOL