Workout check-in - April-tle bit more awesome

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited April 2015
    I was on the run yesterday so did not report my workout. You guys get a 2 for 1 this morning

Yesterday:
    Power Snatch EMOTM x6, 70lbs x2 reps
    Not as easy as last week but still very feasible. Pulls felt smooth

Back Squat 135x5, 150x3x3, 160x3
    Band assisted dips/more assistance: 6 - 6/5 - 5/6 - 5/5 - 7/5 (I'm going off memory here, could be a lil off)

Metcon - 3 rounds for time: [final time 14:22]
    - 180 singles (jump rope)
    - box jump overs @ 20' x10
    - Barbell Manchild @ 65lbs x9 (squat clean into a thruster) broken into 3/3/3, 5/4, 6/3

No Matter What sets:
    Recline rows x16
    Push-ups x21-- failed at 18 :(
    TODAY:

Clean Pulls 115x5, 125x2x5, 130x5

OHP 70x5, 77.5x3x3
    Assisted pull-ups 4, 3, 3, 6 (chin, pull, added assistance wide grip, added assistance chins)

Was sucking hard at the pulling today (I must be heavy from yesterday xD) but surprisingly enough all my OHP reps were crisp and relatively fast!

Somewhere in between I also did a set of 8 barbell curls with the empty 45lbs bar. They were HARD!

12 min AMRAP [total: 11 + 1 clean]
    - 1 power clean @ 95lbs
    - 2 muscle-ups (subbed in TRX recline rows + transition into overhead triceps extension)
    - 3 burpees over bar
    - 4 bw squat

was a fun little finisher but I was pacing myself way too much. I had a 12th round in me for sure. Although the cleans were not super awesome. I'm pretty beat up from yesterday and the week-long binge I've had.

NMW sets for today:
    Recline rows x17 -- failed at 15 or 16.
    Push-ups x21: Failed at 19

Added a few submax sets of both while I was doing some hip mobility. Gonna give it a rest tomorrow. Both my upper back and pecs are SORE!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Really slacking with the workouts right now. Working 8 days straight while trying to fit in all the Easter baking and socializing has killed me. 8 dozen mini cupcakes, and a ninja turtle birthday cake for my 32 year old brother complete. :P Back at it tomorrow though when I finally have a day off.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Strong lift day today:
    Warm up - jumping jacks for a minute
    Squats - 5x5 @ 70lbs
    OHP - 5x5 @ 65lbs (it is getting harder now)
    Deadlift - 1x5 @ 135lbs (boy, am I feeling this now)
    I am really enjoying this now and this group.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2015
    Thursday's Workout - all 5x5
    Squat - 60 lbs - had to deload for this workout to get down parallel, will re-do this weight
    Bench - 50 lbs
    Row - 60 lbs
    + some accessory work (bent-over 1 arm row 3x12 @ 20lbs, planks 3x30sec, pushups 3x12)
    + stairclimber 10 min
    + walk 30 min

Fri/Sat - rest
    I did get a couple hours of walking in on Friday though :)

Sunday's Workout - all 5x5
    Squat - 60 lbs - felt much better getting parallel
    OHP - 40 lbs - felt a bit weaker than my last OHP, will re-do this weight
    DL - 70 lbs

Mon - rest

Will be heading back to my full gym this weekend as I need to get some heavier lifting in! I've been using the gym at my complex using dumbbells so its time to move up.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Cardio today, so C25K week 4. This is the 4th day on the week and I'm going to do one more before moving on to week 5.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Moar PRs!

Squats 5x5 180lbs - PR, and heavy but very do-able. 185lbs here I come!
    OHP 5/5/3/2/5 72.5lbs - The 4th set my arms were gassed that I dropped the bar at the second rep. Last set I nailed just on principle, stupid OHP!
    Deadlifts 1x5 175lbs - PR! I'm probably going to switch to loading 5lbs instead of 10lbs, this was rough on my grip.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    @awkwardsoul great numbers!!! Yay for PRs!!

Been experimenting with different samples of preworkouts lately and today I tried a monster energy drink (small can, zero sugar). Only had that this morning before training so techically was fasted training:

Squat 5x5 @140lbs.
    Bench 5x5 @ 72lbs.
    Row 5x5 @85lbs.

Leg butt attack superset:
    5x5 of each super-setted

Bulgarian split squat with 12lb Dumbbells
    Front squat @ 70lbs.
    Hip thrusters @80lbs.
    Step ups to bench height - bodyweight only

The decided I hadn't punished myself enough so headed out for a mad 4km run.

Now I eat.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited April 2015
    Workout B:
    Squats - 2x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 5x5 @ 85
    Overhead Press - 2x5 @ 21, 1x5 @ 36, 2x5 @ 35, 2x5 @ 34 - failed at 36 last week, still difficult, trying to work my way up to 5x5 at 36 :-(
    Deadlifts - 1x5 @ 110 - any suggestions on what to use to raise the barbell besides weights?

Sumo Squats - 5x5 @ 45
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Workout A (Mon)

Squats 1 x 5 - 125

Squats 1 x 5 - 175

Squats 5 x 5 - 180

Overhead Press, Barbell - 5 x 1 - 70

Overhead Press, Barbell - 5 x 5 - 80

Pendlay Row - 5 x 1 - 80

Pendlay Row - 5 x 5 - 115
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    okay, this is it. from here on in i am not lifting for at least the rest of the week.

squats: 3x5@45, 1x5@55, 2x5@65, 1x2@85, 4x5@75, 1x5@80, 2x5@75. 75 was the comfort-zone weight and they were solid enough that if i had any oomph left in me at all, it should have been possible to find just a bit more in the tank and do 80 or 85. but i didn't and it wasn't, so i'm going backwards and i need a break.

bench: 2x5@45, 1x5@55, 5x5@65. fine for the first three sets, ego after that, shoulder not happy. okay even so until the very last rep where i came closer than i've ever been to the roll of shame.

rows: 2x8@30, 1x8@50, total fiasco at 70, back down to 60 for 5x5. or maybe 6.

ima do what fittree did and see how that works for me. it's been a while since i took my last break.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Deadlift day 3
    155 lbs x 3, 170 lbs x 3, 190 lbs x 3 these were tough but form was tight quite happy with it.
    Front squats 3x8 45 lbs emotm I think I've figured out form on these finally. Gonna try bumping these up next time I do them.

Amrap 4 min x 3
    Thrusters
    Toe tapes
    Split squats
    3/2.5/3 dawdled a bit to long on the second round.

And I'll do my interval running at lunch today.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Couldn't find parking at the gym after work which told me the gym would be a total nightmare inside. Since it was beautiful out yesterday (which surprised me that the gym would be so busy considering) I decided to just go home and do a run. Tuesday, Thursday, Sat/Sun lifting works better for my schedule this week anyway. Run was fine but I think I get circulation problems sometimes which causes my skin to itch like crazy. So, I took a lot of speed walking breaks. Workout was kind of a bust but I got to enjoy the weather.

I'm kind of irritated at how busy the gym is all the time. Makes me really want to get a home gym started.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Did ~35mins yoga (DDP Mixtape) this morning and it was HARD. No seriously, my arms and legs were just completely opposed to moving or straining at all this morning. Doesn't help that I didn't get as much sleep as I should have, but yeah...

Also have killer trap DOMS from the power clean pulls and near-max power cleans I did yesterday. Woah.

Planning on a 20-30 min run at lunchbreak. If that holiday-ish snow can melt. I am SO. DONE. with winter -_-'
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Lifting day!
    5 min cardio warmup
    Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x120 - I've been at 120 a while, trying to focus on form before moving up. I'm getting through the sets ok, but my left side is weak and my knee wants to turn in some. I am close to forcing that sucker out consistently for all 5 sets so I may get to move up soon :)
    Bench: 5x5x85
    Row: 5x5x80 - these are frustrating me in the form department. Staying bent over is awkward and I'm not super certain I'm even feeling it in my shoulders where I should. I'll keep working on it I suppose...
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    giusa wrote: »
    Deadlifts - 1x5 @ 110 - any suggestions on what to use to raise the barbell besides weights?

Yes! I used to use the risers used for the step.
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    Row: 5x5x80 - these are frustrating me in the form department. Staying bent over is awkward and I'm not super certain I'm even feeling it in my shoulders where I should. I'll keep working on it I suppose...

You should feel rows in your back.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Hi all. May I join in? I'm on week 4, day 2 of SL. Today is rest day although I may have a short easy run (have a 10 miler race scheduled on Sunday). Last SL workout was yesterday:

Squats: squatted 95 lbs. It's getting harder so may stay with this weight tomorrow. I've squatted below parallel and I can definitely feel it on my quads and bum.

OP: finally went up to 50 lbs., but had to do 3 reps on the last 2 sets since I could feel my lower back arching.

DL: 135 lbs. Wow, that's heavy. May stick to this next workout.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    On my 3rd full week. Took off Good Friday.
    Still using dumbbells for SL 5x5. I've got my eye on a set of Olympic weights from Craigslist though!
    Squat: 5x5 60#
    Bench: 5x5 50#
    Barbell row: 5x5 40#

Everything still feels pretty good! I feel like I will keep progressing on the squat for a good while, the bench was a little harder and the barbell row did not feel great. I am hoping a barbell will help with the row. Still having fun and losing an inch here and there! I look like i weigh less than I actually do! Pulled out a dress from my closet for Easter Sunday that is usually a part of my "skinny wardrobe" and it looked fine!
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member

All 5x5.

Squat 130

BP 55

Row 60

Plus 20 minutes of Zumba
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    On my 3rd full week. Took off Good Friday.
    Still using dumbbells for SL 5x5. I've got my eye on a set of Olympic weights from Craigslist though!
    Squat: 5x5 60#
    Bench: 5x5 50#
    Barbell row: 5x5 40#

Everything still feels pretty good! I feel like I will keep progressing on the squat for a good while, the bench was a little harder and the barbell row did not feel great. I am hoping a barbell will help with the row. Still having fun and losing an inch here and there! I look like i weigh less than I actually do! Pulled out a dress from my closet for Easter Sunday that is usually a part of my "skinny wardrobe" and it looked fine!

That's a huge NSV! Love it when clothes fit and feel better than you're expecting :)
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Squat 110 5x5 some weren't that pretty so might repeat.
    Bench 85 3,4,4,3,2 pretty bad but I'll get it back soon.
    Row 75 5x5 easy.

Accessories:
    SLDL 75 3x12
    Single leg SLDL 30 3x8 each side (I looked like a wobbling fool doing these but I like them)
    Side bends 35 3x15 each
    Cable curls 30 3x8