• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    I am doing W8D1 tonight :)
    Yay! Go for it!
    I had a great run tonight! It was W8D1 and I was supposed to do 27 min. I did 31 instead - did 3.1 miles or exactly 5k! It was one of this great runs when you feel light and strong and fast and it seems like you could run like this forever :) Ironically it was so cold and gloomy and windy outside I did not really want to go running, but once I started it was totally awesome! Wish all of you guys great runs this week! :)

Congratulations!

I realized I won't be finishing this programme with a 5k run as I'll need about 42 minutes for 5k. I'm just too slow.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I am doing W8D1 tonight :)
    Yay! Go for it!
    I had a great run tonight! It was W8D1 and I was supposed to do 27 min. I did 31 instead - did 3.1 miles or exactly 5k! It was one of this great runs when you feel light and strong and fast and it seems like you could run like this forever :) Ironically it was so cold and gloomy and windy outside I did not really want to go running, but once I started it was totally awesome! Wish all of you guys great runs this week! :)

Congratulations, remember that experience for when it happens again, you don't want to go out.

• matillian
    matillian Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Checking in! W4 D2 completed! I felt better about it, I'm certainly progessing wii.
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Week 2, day 2 done. Nice little thunderstorm to make it a short, quick run, but at least I got my mile and a half done.
  • ChelleBelle2708
    ChelleBelle2708 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Well I've completed Week 3... think I may start Week 4 tomorrow, give myself a rest for day. I still wonder how on earth I'm going to be able to run 5km not stop... I don't know how anyone can ever run a marathon!!
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well I've completed Week 3... think I may start Week 4 tomorrow, give myself a rest for day. I still wonder how on earth I'm going to be able to run 5km not stop...
    I though the same a month ago :) Ran 5k two days ago and will run one more tonight!

• ChelleBelle2708
    Options
    Well I've completed Week 3... think I may start Week 4 tomorrow, give myself a rest for day. I still wonder how on earth I'm going to be able to run 5km not stop...
    I though the same a month ago :) Ran 5k two days ago and will run one more tonight!

Excellent work!!! I'm assuming it gets easier?! Its not my legs that is the issue, its my breathing more than anything. I just feel like my chest is closing in on me the harder I push it.

We had a group run at work the other day and one of the trainers was out in front with me and said should we try a little faster as he thought I looked like It was too easy for me... my legs went fine, but my breathing was terrible.

Any advice would be great!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I don't know how anyone can ever run a marathon!!

One foot in front of the other, repeat. Same as for a 5K, just for longer :)
  • JoyT613
    JoyT613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Excellent work!!! I'm assuming it gets easier?! Its not my legs that is the issue, its my breathing more than anything. I just feel like my chest is closing in on me the harder I push it.

We had a group run at work the other day and one of the trainers was out in front with me and said should we try a little faster as he thought I looked like It was too easy for me... my legs went fine, but my breathing was terrible.

Hi! I read somewhere that keeping your arms parallel to your torso helps with breathing. I tried it and it made a HUGE DIFFERENCE! Instead of letting my arms cross in front of my chest when they're swinging, I keep them parallel to my torso and tuck in my elbows a bit. It opens up my chest a lot so my lungs can do their job. Running like this felt idiotic at first, but it feels perfectly natural now. It also helps me be mindful to stand up straight and not slump over. I am not a fast runner, but the more I've run with good posture and arm position the faster I've become and the easier it seems to be getting.

I just completed Week 5 Day 2 and I'm super excited to try Day 3 tomorrow! It felt absolutely amazing!
  • ChelleBelle2708
    Options
    JoyT613 wrote: »

Hi! I read somewhere that keeping your arms parallel to your torso helps with breathing. I tried it and it made a HUGE DIFFERENCE! Instead of letting my arms cross in front of my chest when they're swinging, I keep them parallel to my torso and tuck in my elbows a bit. It opens up my chest a lot so my lungs can do their job. Running like this felt idiotic at first, but it feels perfectly natural now. It also helps me be mindful to stand up straight and not slump over. I am not a fast runner, but the more I've run with good posture and arm position the faster I've become and the easier it seems to be getting.

I just completed Week 5 Day 2 and I'm super excited to try Day 3 tomorrow! It felt absolutely amazing!

Great advice, thank you! I will try this tomorrow when I go out for Week 4... looking forward to Week 5 actually!!!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

C25k, you shouldn't be pushing hard, if you can't hold a conversation while running you are running too hard at this stage. With all due respect to your running leader, they are likely to cause you to get injured or drop out. When you can do 30 mins without effort then start mixing it up. At the stage you are at, I would just follow the programme. It works, even I did it. I can now run half marathons, 4 milers are easy recovery runs. 8 months ago, I thought doing 3 miles was going a long way from home LOL.

Have fun, enjoy it, allow your body to adapt.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Week 8 Day 2 done! 3.25 miles in 33 minutes. After 20 minutes it started raining really hard... I got all soaked :)
  • Aine8046
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »

Congratulations, remember that experience for when it happens again, you don't want to go out.
    Thanks! :)

• Aine8046
    Options
    Brans34 wrote: »
    Week 2, day 2 done. Nice little thunderstorm to make it a short, quick run, but at least I got my mile and a half done.
    I got wet today too! But at least there was no lightening!

• Aine8046
    Options
    JoyT613 wrote: »

Awesome! Keep it up! :)

• Aine8046
    Options
    matillian wrote: »
    Checking in! W4 D2 completed! I felt better about it, I'm certainly progessing wii.
    Great! :smiley:

• yirara
    edited April 2015
    Options
    W7D1 yesterday. phew, it was so difficult as it was really hot and somewhat humid. I did manage to run 25 minutes without a break, and then did another 8 minute interval and that was all. I just couldn't go on. But I was running rather fast anyway and I guess having been out in the desert for most of the day didn't really help. Things can only get better again :) And besides, I still hit my running goal of at least 5k with just 3 minutes of walking inbetween.

One thing I noticed: The last few runs I only needed about 1.5 minutes to recover from a running interval, regardless of the length. Ok, yesterday it was a bit longer, but not by much.

• Aine8046
    edited April 2015
    Options
    W7D1 yesterday. phew, it was so difficult as it was really hot and somewhat humid.

Great! Cannot imagine running in the heat! It started raining yesterday after I ran away 2.5 miles from home. Cold rain and strong wind made me shivering, so on my way home instead of 20 min walking I did some extra running too just to warm up :)
  • yirara
    Options

Great! Cannot imagine running in the heat! It started raining yesterday after I ran away 2.5 miles from home. Cold rain and strong wind made me shivering, so on my way home instead of 20 min walking I did some extra running too just to warm up :)

Brr... sounds really unpleasant! I guess I would have passed this session!
    It is windy here as well, but it feels more like a hairdryer at the moment. Mind you, I had placed a bottle of water on my garbage bin in front of my house door as I'm still struggling with where to leave my phone as I want to be able to look at and use the screen. First round it was still there. Second round it was gone *sigh*
  • HannahsMother2012
    HannahsMother2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    W5D3 done! I was terrified of this day from day 1. In awe of what I'm capable of! I doubted myself up until today. Now I know I can do this!!