Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Finished W7D3 today (the system I'm using has this as a 22 minute jog and then 1 minute run). The start of this run was nasty but by the end of 22 mins I was not dead. So that was great.

angf0679 running in the rain is much nicer than you think. It's so cooling. One day you'll go out in it and realise how nice it is. Of course as long as it's not really heavy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    system I'm using has this as a 22 minute jog and then 1 minute run

So a 22 minute run followed by 1 minute of faster running...

Well done
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Wow, guys, you're all amazing! I have to push myself to get through the 5-minute sections still... but always feel great AFTER. During, not so much ;)

Then again, given that I'm 35 and have never, ever been a runner, and am signed up for my second 5K this year and looking at a third, I've gotta say this program is doing its job.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    ... given that I'm 35...

I started C25K just after my 43rd birthday, fifteen months later I'm in the middle of half marathon training.

Good luck
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just finished W6D1 this morning. I feel amazing! I looked at my runtastic app and saw that I ran my first mile without stopping in 9:32. I haven't done that since middle school, and my best mile time back then was 9:45 (and I was about 90 lbs lighter back then)!!!!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Then again, given that I'm 35 and have never, ever been a runner, and am signed up for my second 5K this year and looking at a third, I've gotta say this program is doing its job.

I'm 36. You're still young.
    Just finished W6D1 this morning. I feel amazing! I looked at my runtastic app and saw that I ran my first mile without stopping in 9:32. I haven't done that since middle school, and my best mile time back then was 9:45 (and I was about 90 lbs lighter back then)!!!!

Well done!
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    .....given that I'm 35 and have never, ever been a runner,......

I read an article about someone who started running when they were 71
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain = AWESOME :glasses: Give it a try...I was BEGGING for rain today LOL
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    W6D3 today (even though I guess I technically did this on Sunday when I ran the 5K lol) on my lunch break...HOT and SWEATY now at work....well worth it :smile: Also, I am actually in the 10K program now, so once I get beyond W8 it keeps rolling so I can start training for my first 10K next... I am looking at one I want to try and do in September, so we'll see how it goes.

Anyhow...running 22 minutes straight seems like no big deal now...after about the first 5 minutes my breathing evens out and my pace picks up and I feel like I could run forever...I absolutely LOVE that feeling :heart:
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Here's a monster long post coming up, all your fault people! :laugh: :flowerforyou: I did W9D2 today, which means there's one more run and then I'm done - cannot believe it! This is what happens when you stick to it and take one day at a time.
    Did my first run today. Was putting it off all morning because I'm not a runner and thought it'd kill me. It went pretty well. I'm thinking of using my hrm the next time I run and comparing it with c25k's calorie burn.
    Well done and welcome to the merry group of runners here!
    Onto week 4!

Did W3D3 and then ran for 12:45 (1 mile at my pace) following the last walking cycle. I like doing that sort of thing because it makes me more confident going into the next week. Shouldn't be a problem if it's not causing pain or anything, right?

PS: No breathing issues this time, though I was back inside on the treadmill because it is hot and muggy and yuck today.
    I'd make sure to walk to cool down, it's important, but if you extend running before that when feeling like it, go ahead.
    Week 8, Day 1 tonight. I FINALLY finished the run portion, but had to cut the cool down short. I'm hoping I figure out what in my diet is causing stomach issues when I run, because I really want to be able to transition to the C210k. I'll be sad if the most I can safely ever run without having to stop home is 25 minutes. :(
    I think you mentioned stomach issues before, but could you describe it a bit more? NIce job on moving on to week 8.
    ..... I'm just not ready to run in rain yet!

Oh what's the worst that could happen :)

I enjoy rain, since I'm dripping by the time I finish a run anyway.
    I was sweating like a shower today. She might be of sugar, though, and melt away in the rain. :laugh:
    This is totally me! I've never been athletic, could never run that presidential fitness one-mile test in HS and could barely jog more than 30 seconds when I started this program. Today was W6D3 for me, feel like my pace is getting better, I'm a little faster on the slight inclines in my neighborhood, but still not ready to take on the one hill I walk daily with a friend. I'll get there, it's one of my goals for the end of this program.
    I sucked in HS, too, yet here we are :) Hey, you have two thirds done already, that's great!
    Finished W7D3 today (the system I'm using has this as a 22 minute jog and then 1 minute run). The start of this run was nasty but by the end of 22 mins I was not dead. So that was great.
    Excellent! Do you do eight or nine weeks? Regardless, you have just a tiny bit left until graduation.
    Wow, guys, you're all amazing! I have to push myself to get through the 5-minute sections still... but always feel great AFTER. During, not so much ;)

I could have said that. I'm 35, fairly soon 36, and never ever was accomplished at any physical activities when growing up. See if it helps to slow down during those 5-minute runs, that's how I was able to keep moving on week after week, but at first I tried with too high a speed and it was a disaster.
    Good job!
    W6D3 today (even though I guess I technically did this on Sunday when I ran the 5K lol) on my lunch break...HOT and SWEATY now at work....well worth it :smile: Also, I am actually in the 10K program now, so once I get beyond W8 it keeps rolling so I can start training for my first 10K next... I am looking at one I want to try and do in September, so we'll see how it goes.

Anyhow...running 22 minutes straight seems like no big deal now...after about the first 5 minutes my breathing evens out and my pace picks up and I feel like I could run forever...I absolutely LOVE that feeling :heart:
    Well done, and I agree!
  • michielyn
    michielyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Finished W3D3 today and have come to the conclusion that I have to run somewhere else due to the hills I always talk about. I mapped my route, and I have consistent 10-20% grades. I was walking up the big one and then doing the program but now that my runs are 3 minutes - I can't go that long without another hill. It got to the point where I am either training myself for the hills or doing C25K, lol.

But, I found a 3.2 mile route that has 5-8% grades. Can't wait for W4D1!
  • greentree0
    greentree0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Finished W3D3 today and have come to the conclusion that I have to run somewhere else due to the hills I always talk about. I mapped my route, and I have consistent 10-20% grades. I was walking up the big one and then doing the program but now that my runs are 3 minutes - I can't go that long without another hill. It got to the point where I am either training myself for the hills or doing C25K, lol.

But, I found a 3.2 mile route that has 5-8% grades. Can't wait for W4D1!

Hooray for finding a good route for next week!
    Here's a monster long post coming up, all your fault people! laugh flowerforyou I did W9D2 today, which means there's one more run and then I'm done - cannot believe it! This is what happens when you stick to it and take one day at a time.

You should be really proud of where you've got to!

I managed W6D1 even though I got home later than planned so it was dark when I ran, and despite some residual weariness from being ill on Monday. Not a great distance, but I'm pleased i got out there and did something at all.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Week 8 Day 1 complete. Almost done! :)
  • nicca_jb
    Options
    W5D1
    The first day I haven't huffed and puffed through! - this may be in part due to my going early in the morning instead of during lunch, when it's sunny and hot outside, but I was happily surprised, whatever the reason. My lungs were cooperating.

I will say honestly that my knees are starting to hurt. They're not in constant pain, but ache when I get a minute or two into the jog sections. I'm betting I need to stretch more prior to starting.
  • kellypence
    kellypence Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Finished W4D2 this morning in the rain (counts as double miles, right???). It's funny, I always thought people who did crazy things like wake up an hour early, and intentionally run in the rain and said they enjoyed it were.....well, masochistic. For me, for now, it's not that I feel like I really ENJOY the run, but I darn sure enjoy the fact that I am keeping a commitment to myself by running.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I need to stretch more prior to starting.

Static stretching before exercise is more of a risk than a benefit. It's generally not advised because it doesn't do you any good.

Thorough stretch after you finish is of far more benefit. If you are aching a bit then it should just be a degree of adaptation. I'd draw a distinction between an ache and pain, but it's well worth keeping an eye on.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    today is Week 5 Day 3....20 minutes straight....I'm scared and not sure I can do this, I struggled with the 8 minutes, why does it jump up so fast!!!! gah.

Slow down if you need to. You can do this. The program is set up to make you succeed. YOU ARE READY to run 20 minutes straight!
    Ditto. I panicked when I saw that 20 minute jog in there but you know what..I did it. (And had enough "juice" to still sprint for last 30 seconds...holdover from my high school track days.) You can do it!
  • nicca_jb
    Options

Static stretching before exercise is more of a risk than a benefit. It's generally not advised because it doesn't do you any good.

Thorough stretch after you finish is of far more benefit. If you are aching a bit then it should just be a degree of adaptation. I'd draw a distinction between an ache and pain, but it's well worth keeping an eye on.

That's really good advice, thank you. It's definitely not "pain", as I feel fine afterward, but a dull ache in the knees. It might also have to do with my not having good shoes (these are a bit worn and I was never actually fit for them, I just bought some which looked like they might do well), so that's my next purchase. :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

That's really good advice, thank you. It's definitely not "pain", as I feel fine afterward, but a dull ache in the knees. It might also have to do with my not having good shoes (these are a bit worn and I was never actually fit for them, I just bought some which looked like they might do well), so that's my next purchase. :)

I was having achy knees until I got fitted for shoes. No more achy knees!
  • nicca_jb
    Options
    I was having achy knees until I got fitted for shoes. No more achy knees!

Sounds like I'm in for a trip to the store!