You're probably eating more than you think.

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I have to measure more accurately. I am guilty of measuring the exact way the video shows and yes, I have stalled.
  • elizabethjmurphy
    elizabethjmurphy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1Fizzle wrote: »
    This is a great video showing the inaccuracies and how the calories add up when measuring v weighing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

WOW...this is eye opening! Thanks
    Just came across this old post- I weigh but occasionally get lazy this was very impactful, Thanks

• croooz
    croooz Posts: 48 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Why track the raw weight of meats instead of the cooked weight?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    croooz wrote: »
    Why track the raw weight of meats instead of the cooked weight?

The amount of moisture you cook out is highly variable, more than the initial starting potential difference in moisture.

But then again, the amount of fat you don't keep that was there is variable too.
    Makes ground beef interesting to try to log.
  • chrislorentz
    Options
    Question: Some items/recipes state a certain number of servings and give a cup measurement of some type. IE: Recipe states its 4 serving and serving size is 1/4 cup. What we do is measure the total volume in Grams then divide by four and and serve that is that acceptable?
  • heybales
    Options
    Question: Some items/recipes state a certain number of servings and give a cup measurement of some type. IE: Recipe states its 4 serving and serving size is 1/4 cup. What we do is measure the total volume in Grams then divide by four and and serve that is that acceptable?

That's the best way. Well, you measure the total weight in grams, not volume, right?

What's also nice with that method, you can weigh the ingredients going in to the pot individually, and come up with total calories.
    Then after cooking and change of weight from lost water, or added water for that matter, you get final weight. (weigh the pot first to subtract that weight)
    Divide both by 4, or whatever amount gives the calorie size you want for a serving - done.
  • chrislorentz
    Options
    Perfect that is what I do. Yes I measure everything in Grams our ounces.

Thank you.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I think it's important too that even if you are logging fairly accurately we tend to 'forget' the days we did not stick to the plan. I'm aiming for 1540 calories of food a day. But because of many days where I did not stick to the plan, and ate way too much, my average over the last month was closer to 1750. That's still overall a deficit for me, but I think those few people saying "I eat 1200 calories why am I not losing weight" are forgetting cheat days or occasionally binge day that will mess up your average and explain why you're losing slower, or sometimes not at all if you don't have much room in your deficit.
  • ZiggySquish
    ZiggySquish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is a great post, thanks OP!
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    This is a great video showing the inaccuracies and how the calories add up when measuring v weighing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
    yes this is very true.. I did'nt lose wight for about 2 months the loss had stalled then when I brought a food scale started weighing most my food and logging the extra grams of food the weight started dropping I actually losted
    5 lbs i know a few of them was water weight but is np for me as long as the scale finally had moved.... I added up i had been eating over about 150 calories everyday and sometimes even 300 extra which were big shockers!
  • Determined_Missy
    Determined_Missy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This is a great reminder. I do lick the peanut butter from the spoon!!
  • jnunez5
    jnunez5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is great!!! Will start doing this more often!
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    How after years on this site gave I only just found the Sexypants thread, this post and group.... buying a digital scale tomorrow
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @TheLittleFangs You are not alone - many people stumble onto these amazing posts and wonder how they missed them for so long.
    Within most of the Message Boards if you go into the Getting Started Message Board you will see an " Announcement Post " that is closed. Within this post is a link to a collection to great posts that have been an inspiration and guide for so many.

You can apply this concept of announcement posts to all message boards.
    One of my favorite is a great compilation from different Message Boards called Most Important posts to Read

Don't forget to check out the Hello Healthy as there is lots of good information in there also.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @TheLittleFangs You are not alone - many people stumble onto these amazing posts and wonder how they missed them for so long.
    Within most of the Message Boards if you go into the Getting Started Message Board you will see an " Announcement Post " that is closed. Within this post is a link to a collection to great posts that have been an inspiration and guide for so many.

You can apply this concept of announcement posts to all message boards.
    One of my favorite is a great compilation from different Message Boards called Most Important posts to Read

Don't forget to check out the Hello Healthy as there is lots of good information in there also.

Thank you so much Juliet
  • sigsigsputnik
    sigsigsputnik Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to the group and just wanted to say that I found the post very helpful. I think the problem is that ALL calories counts, ie. what you consume and what you really expend, are fairly unreliable and are just 'guesses' at best. It works both ways. Most of the modern 'fit-bit' trackers etc. (I own a Garmin Fenix 3) are crap at estimating your expenditure. I have a power-metre at my roadbike which is probably oen of the most accurate sport's measuring tool for calorie expenditure. It shows that most Heartrate measurement are really way off. Add water-intake, natural fluctuations of body weight over days, plus the inaccuracies of tracking consistenly and accuracy is what it is: a loose goal!This just shows that only long-term consistency and reflection on your calorie intake and expenditure really help.... Does not make it easier, though ;(
  • heybales
    Options
    Just to comment on the watt-meter calorie burn calc - it is indeed most accurate for power/calories expended moving the bike - but not for your body - for that block of time.

Whereas database entry, HRM, activity tracker (step-based are worthless on bike though) based calorie burn, are including total body burn in that block of time plus the exercise expenditure.

So to your watt-meter calorie burn to compare - you'd really need to add your estimated RMR for that block of time.

Probably makes the discrepancy not as great. Well, unless comparing to cheaper Polar or such.

But then again - your power-meter is good for your 1-2 hrs of bike ride but not really useful for rest of the day - whereas the activity tracker is better at the other 22-23 hrs of the day.

For average folks - the vast majority of calorie burn is during the bigger chunk of time.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Ugh...so I need to buy a scale...:grumble: