100 pushup challenge

Options

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @kuranda10 is it harder to do holding dumbells. they bother my wrists too, not so much that i can't do them but i'd like a way to take the pressure off
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Stbarber1 wrote: »
    @kuranda10 is it harder to do holding dumbells. they bother my wrists too, not so much that i can't do them but i'd like a way to take the pressure off

Try knuckle pushups, which keep your wrists straight. You may even want to get a pair of cheap boxing gloves, which will force you to keep your wrists straight and provide some cushioning for your knuckles.
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    So, I told my husband that I was doing this, but using the knee version.

Now, my husband is a very loving, intelligent man. But after I told him I was starting this, I heard "women aren't supposed to do the full ones anyway".

Before I give him a good old american dose of what for, is that even remotely based on fact, or is his living up to the stereotype of an Aussie male?

Tell him to tell that to Rhonda Rousey.

There's no basis for that other than the fact that men typically have more muscle at the same level of training than women. Unfortunately, this often means that women can't always do full pushups completely untrained. The societal idea that women shouldn't do strength training lest they turn into She-Hulk doesn't help matters and keeps women weak (and then people wonder why women are so often the victims of violent crimes...).

There's nothing anywhere that says women can't or shouldn't do full pushups, but it may take some working up to it. After you do the challenge with the knee version, you should be able to start again doing the full version.
    I can do alternative pushups OK, can do over 20 in the initial test, but can't do 1 real pushup. Not sure whether to do the challenge with alternative pushups, or try the real ones... feel like I wouldn't get very far with the real ones, so may try building up to 100 alternative ones, then start the challenge again with real ones. Any thoughts?

Yep, there's nothing wrong with doing it that way. In fact, I think the challenge encourages it! (It also says that if you can do more than 50 or something like that on your initial test, to go to a harder variation.) You could use this challenge routine as a way to build up the strength to do handstand pushups if you so desired.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Oh, he's going to see she-hulk ... o:)

He's loving and intelligent but every so often his knuckles drag a bit
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    You could use this challenge routine as a way to build up the strength to do handstand pushups if you so desired.

Or with your arms spread wide, using your fingertips. I've seen that on YouTube somewhere.

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yowza. So I know it said to wait a couple days after the initial test to start. But I was bored and impatient and started anyway. Had to do last set on my knees, I can't believe how weak I am.

I can't even picture doing 100 in a row, that seems crazy right now.

Good luck everyone!

My initial test I did 5 and I thought I was going to die lol. It's crazy how far you progress in just a few weeks! And yeah-make sure to take the rest days, you definitely need them :)

eta: while I finished the challenge-for the final test I did take a few mini-breaks, of a few seconds each to catch my breath, so not totally consecutive, but close :). I was able to go from 5 (regular) pushups, to doing over 100 (regular) pushups in the challenge time frame, which still boggles my mind!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    I can do alternative pushups OK, can do over 20 in the initial test, but can't do 1 real pushup. Not sure whether to do the challenge with alternative pushups, or try the real ones... feel like I wouldn't get very far with the real ones, so may try building up to 100 alternative ones, then start the challenge again with real ones. Any thoughts?

Real pushups are hard on my wrists and knee pushups are, well hard on the knees. I think if you start with alternative and work your way up to 100 that's good. You can always change it up once you get there. Myself I plan on using a smith machine because I can lower it once I get to 100. If I want to.

Great thanks for the encouragement!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Yowza. So I know it said to wait a couple days after the initial test to start. But I was bored and impatient and started anyway. Had to do last set on my knees, I can't believe how weak I am.

Good luck everyone!

My initial test I did 5 and I thought I was going to die lol. It's crazy how far you progress in just a few weeks! And yeah-make sure to take the rest days, you definitely need them :)

eta: while I finished the challenge-for the final test I did take a few mini-breaks, of a few seconds each to catch my breath, so not totally consecutive, but close :). I was able to go from 5 (regular) pushups, to doing over 100 (regular) pushups in the challenge time frame, which still boggles my mind!

Thanks, I'm excited to see what happens. What squat challenge are you doing, I want to alternate days but can't find an app I like
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

Good luck everyone!

Thanks, I'm excited to see what happens. What squat challenge are you doing, I want to alternate days but can't find an app I like

The makers of 100 Pushups have an app called "Just Six Weeks" that has all of the challenges for $1.99. Probably worth it if you're going to do more than just the 100 Pushups challenge.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Good luck everyone!

The makers of 100 Pushups have an app called "Just Six Weeks" that has all of the challenges for $1.99. Probably worth it if you're going to do more than just the 100 Pushups challenge.

Oh yeah that's with it. Thanks I'll check it out
  • kuranda10
    Options
    It's $3.49 AUD
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I restarted week 2, and I can't even do day 1 (14,14,10,10,15+) any more. I think it's because I did a bunch of pull ups and pull-style machine work at the gym last night. In theory, push ups work different muscles. In practice, my triceps feel burnt out.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    They do say we need our rest days Wabmester ;) I did Day 1 today and it was far too easy, as in the rest times were far too long. I suspect I won't be saying that for long :D
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    I am still recovering from the initial test - having been so flippant about how easy 20 alternative pushups were, my triceps have been killing me ever since! Am going to tackle day 1 tonight, but am dreading it. Hope the pain wears off soon!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I am still recovering from the initial test - having been so flippant about how easy 20 alternative pushups were, my triceps have been killing me ever since! Am going to tackle day 1 tonight, but am dreading it. Hope the pain wears off soon!

For me, it's shoulders. Did test and Day 1 on the same day, to keep the system on Mon-Wed-Fri without having to start next week or finagle things around.

It's just DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Nothing a little time and massaging won't take care of.
  • heartandsoul1
    heartandsoul1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do wall push ups . I am up to 50 at a time . Started out doing 25 each time I went to the rest room @ work. If you go as much as I do you can get 100 in pretty quickly! lol Arms are looking great and back and knees aren't hurting!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I was sore after my first day, never hits me till at least 24 hours later, I was nervous to do day too because I thought it would be worse, but my arms feel a lot better now. I'm sure I'll have soreness tomorrow, but I seem to be recovering fairly quickly from it.

Keep trying, do what you can, if it hurts too much, modify it, so you don't cause serious damage, muscle fatigue will pass.
  • kuranda10
    Options
    maybe I'm doing this wrong?

I did day one Monday, my arms were fine
    I did day two Wednesday and my arms were a bit sore, but only while doing the push ups.

Today, Thursday I am fine.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    @Kuranda I haven't felt a thing so far, but I'm sure it'll come. I've done the test and Day One. I'm doing full pushup position, but only the top half of the movement. If I go past half way I can't come back up again but I'm going to stick with that and see what develops. I am already going a little lower than I used to. I'm occasionally doing tricep dips using 2 dining chairs because I think it's the triceps that are failing me for the full movement. I almost never get muscle soreness no matter what I do anyway. Maybe you and I are gifted? Maybe it's something in the Australian air/food ;)
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    I did day one yesterday and feel fine, the initial pain must have been from the shock to the muscles from the initial test! Am quite excited about this - and I don't know why!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    maybe I'm doing this wrong?

I did day one Monday, my arms were fine
    I did day two Wednesday and my arms were a bit sore, but only while doing the push ups.

Today, Thursday I am fine.

I'd think that's good. I HATE DOMS. So if it can be done without excruciating pain, a slow building up to things, I'd think that's ideal. My opinion though.