So tell us what you've learned....

Options
parkdad73
parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
What brought you to living healthier? How did you find LC? How did you keep on at your first plateau? How do you keep on during difficulties? How do you manage your stressors? What tips and tricks are uniquely yours? Who motivates you? What motivates you?
These are just suggestions, but basically, what can you teach others to get them where you are or are going?

Replies

• KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    How do you keep on during difficulties?

Planning for me is key. I do prep days for the week ahead. I make sure to look at a menu beforehand if going out to eat.

Also, I try to control my thinking and perceptions as much as I control my food availability. I try not to think of food in terms of "bad" or choices in terms of "cheating". They're just choices. As long as I have a solid LCHF foundation, I know that I can be successful. When I came to that realization, it felt like losing weight was no longer a frantic race to the finish line, but rather an eventuality that will come as long as I stay the course and depend on that solid foundation.

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Needed this thread today. Thanks for starting it, parkdad. :-)

What brought you to living healthier?--What brought me BACK to eating healthier (been at lowcarb in one form or another since late 90's) was that my "give-a-*kitten*" gauge had been stuck on "I don't" for a couple-too-many years. Some significant life stressors and a crumbling personal relationship that I'd refused to acknowledge was crumbling had me distracting myself with food and too much wine. I conveniently ignored that my clothes were getting tighter again, avoided the scale...many of you know the drill. Had my own personal come to jesus meeting in late fall and vowed to again treat myself with the care and respect that I was looking for from someone else and not receiving. Because that's really where it's at...loving yourself enough to do what's best for you. Once back on track and committed to my own success, everything fell right back into place the way it ALWAYS does when I fuel my body appropriately. Physical maladies ceased or were significantly reduced. Depression, lethargy, and brain fog lifted. Oh, and the weight started going in the right direction again.

How did you find LC?--Atkins, May of '98. My ex-husband's co-worker's wife was doing it. I was your typical naysayer, "OMG! You're going to DIE from all that FAT! How could you POSSIBLY think this would be HEALTHY for you!" I was so completely obnoxious and judgmental that I roll my eyes at myself now. ;-) The co-workers wife bailed after a few weeks. I, on the other hand, reached a point of utter despair w/ my weight probably pushing 260, and decided on a whim to buy a copy of DANDR and read it cover to cover. And so the magic began.

How did you keep on at your first plateau?--"This too shall pass." I feel so much better physically when I'm eating low carb and don't want to invite the depression demons to take up residence in my brain again. Keep on keepin' on and the scale eventually has no choice but to follow. It's also good to know how your body works when losing weight. How you can show a big drop on the scale, gain half back, bounce around for a bit before a new low is reached. It's good to know how fat cells will hold water as "placeholders" when the fat first vacates, not truly reflecting on the scale that you're progressing. With my body, I know that when I get weird chills in a perfectly temperature controlled room, that some fat is being burnt for fuel and I may see some scale movement soon. The longer you're at it, the more you'll get to know your own body and be able to read the clues. Wait, watch, record, and refer to past performance to talk yourself down from your tree when the metal monster isn't cooperating.

How do you keep on during difficulties/How do you manage your stressors??--After my last serious case of backsliding over the last few years, I know that I have to be accountable. Logging helps tremendously. I'm not of the mindset that I'll "never" eat X,Y,Z again. It's a choice, as has been stated by another poster above. Some things I can eat without negative repercussions (in moderation), others I need to decide if it's worth the potential for gut discomfort, headaches, or just feeling "less than" how I feel on low carb. In the end, whatever difficulty or stress I'm up against, if I choose to eat poorly for me it is NOT going to make it any less so, and can, most likely, add negatively to the situation. Really? I need to ADD more *kitten* to the storm? That doesn't sound like a very bright move... ;-)

What tips and tricks are uniquely yours? Who motivates you? What motivates you?--Don't know that I have any unique tips. I've found that life is smoother when I keep things as simple as possible. Change up the daily menu very little. Cook things I really like to eat in big batches and freeze for those nights I'm tempted to order out instead. Try to include extra physical movement of some sort everyday...things I enjoy doing. Don't make the scale the end all/be all of success monitoring. Get rid of the fat clothes AS SOON AS THEY'RE UNDERGROWN! lol

As far as WHO motivates me...every one of my friends on here who keep on keepin' on every day. It makes me happy to see people find their answer and succeed, because I feel SO fortunate to have figured this stuff out myself and wish this kind of "peace with food" to everyone who struggles.

Regarding WHAT motivates me right now? That changes from day to day, but right now it's summer approaching and realizing it's been at least two years since I was comfortable in a pair of shorts and a tank top, let alone a swimsuit. ;-) Oh, and then there's that whole, "Looks like I'm back in the dating pool" thing, too. Yeah, that can be pretty motivating! lol
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Parkdad wrote:
    <What brought you to living healthier?>

I think the last straw, that scared me, was I was regularly getting numbness/tingling in my arms while sleeping. Talking to my doctor, he said it was a fat/circulation problem. But I would constantly hear of diabetics getting heart attacks. I didn't want to be one of them. I still didn't have a solution. I swore to myself I would never do another diet. I did pray to God NOT to give me willpower, but to give me wisdom to scientifically figure this out. God opened doors for me. (YAY!)

Whew! Oh well... nobody will read this, but it did help me to write it out...

I hope this helps,

Dan, I read this this morning, but had to wait until I got to a computer to type this. I always read your posts with interest. Sometimes I have nothing useful to add to a conversation, or I'm on my tablet and writing is slow and tedious on that, so don't always reply: don't be downhearted, you do help people a lot with your contributions.

In particular, I was really interested that you also get/got what you describe as numbness and tingling in your arms while sleeping. This was the thing that scared me into losing weight because I couldn't rationalise it away: I usually sleep on my side and it's not the lower side (the side on the mattress) that gets the "pins and needles" (I don't know if you call it that in the US), but the upper side. I usually last asleep OK until 5 am but then I need to turn over every 15/20 minutes or so to relieve the tingling. Obviously blood is not circulating as it should when I'm in bed for a long time. Not only is it worrying from a heart/circulatory perspective, but also it cuts down my sleep and I could really do with the extra hour from 5 am -6 am!

Now that I've lost 26/7 lbs I thought it would have resolved as I am now the same weight as I was before the problem started, but it hasn't resolved (yet?).

Reading your post reminded me why I started this WOE. This was good as I've been quite down-hearted this week and while I wasn't contemplating giving up keto, I have noticed self-sabotaging thoughts and behaviours creeping in: this tends to be a pattern for me whenever I start to feel like I am being successful on a diet and at losing weight. Especially when other people start noticing - that tends to make me want to stop for some bizarre reason.

We spoke before about feeling "led" to this WOE: maybe your post there was a reminder for me why I started and why I need to continue. My faith is in the mustard seed category, but sometimes I just need to trust in something bigger.

Thanks for posting Dan, and thanks for the thread parkdad.

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I think the last straw, that scared me, was I was regularly getting numbness/tingling in my arms while sleeping. Talking to my doctor, he said it was a fat/circulation problem.

Just a side comment on this is that recently I realized that the on-and-off-again numbness down my left arm is due to a herniated disk pinching a nerve in my neck. I notice it when I put my head back too far, especially when doing yoga (go figure... bad posture for most of my 58 years). It is called cervical radiculopathy.
    Take a look at this video for more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7j81mFjQoY

What keeps me on LCHF and MFP? fear! I don't want to gain back what I lost. And I want to get stronger as I age, not weaker. Just bought a kettlebell!!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I read yours Dan. I've read them all. I think it's a great idea and will probably read them all again in the future.
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    I think the last straw, that scared me, was I was regularly getting numbness/tingling in my arms while sleeping. Talking to my doctor, he said it was a fat/circulation problem.

Just a side comment on this is that recently I realized that the on-and-off-again numbness down my left arm is due to a herniated disk pinching a nerve in my neck. I notice it when I put my head back too far, especially when doing yoga (go figure... bad posture for most of my 58 years). It is called cervical radiculopathy.
    Take a look at this video for more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7j81mFjQoY

What keeps me on LCHF and MFP? fear! I don't want to gain back what I lost. And I want to get stronger as I age, not weaker. Just bought a kettlebell!!

That's interesting thanks. My neck has recently got very sore I think from bad sleeping position. Unfortunately, my tingling is on both sides, so I don't know if this can be connected to my neck. But I will have a look at the video when I'm not at work (ahem...). I really appreciate all the great help and advice folk give in this group!

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    What brought you to living healthier?
    I had never really dieted (other than cutting out soda in 2007 ahead of my wedding) until 2010 when my husband said he wanted to try low carb. He had gained weight in college due to medication and had never really shed it. I joined in because it was as easy to eat the same thing as not. We both lost a bunch of weight and it was noticeable, but then there were storms that kept knocking out our power for weeks at a time, so we got paranoid about restocking the fridge with healthy food. Then we kept trying but mistakenly tried to keep it low fat, thinking that would be healthier. Obviously it wasn't sustainable. We had more cheat days than plan days, and both gained more weight back than we'd lost.

This year we thought we'd give it another go, and I tried an even lower carb version while my husband tried the same old plan. He was done after two days, but I continued. Eventually he saw how much better VLC was and decided to join in on a more keto-aimed plan. I'm on day 52 and he's almost to a month.
    How did you find LC?
    In 2010 we saw the Belly Fat Cure plan book on our friends' kitchen table. The intro to the book described the problem with insulin, which was the first I'd ever heard of how it stored fat (I'm the person who sent my diabetic aunt a fruit basket thinking it was healthy for her).

As for finding this group, I wandered over here this February as I realized what I was doing was super low carb. I think I was hoping for recipes, but I found an amazing support group and fantastic links to articles on the science behind what we're doing.
    How did you keep on at your first plateau?
    I haven't really hit a plateau this time. A couple days with no loss, interspersed with some days I've gained. Does that count? I just trust the WOE, but I've also taken a close look at what I was eating to see if anything was problematic. I've found my big drops have all been water weight, my gains are after higher-sodium days (more water retention), and my sustainable losses are after days with higher fat.

I do find that some days I stress the numbers (F/P/C) too much, eating more than I want to reach a protein goal, for example. I want to get to the point where I listen more to my body rather than worrying about the macros and micros.
    Honestly, going as low carb as I can, I'm finding that this isn't difficult at all. When I leave work, the air is often filled with the smell of fried dough from the Dunkin Donuts around the corner. This would have done me in on a bad day of higher carb (≤120g total / day). Going lower, I can actually enjoy the smell (memories of summer carnivals and such) without feeling any desire for a dozen glazed donuts and a dark quiet place to eat them all on my own.
    How do you manage your stressors?
    Getting enough sleep, fresh air, conversation, keeping active, exercise, knocking things off my to-do list. If it's really bad I have kava tea I can sip.
    What tips and tricks are uniquely yours?
    I don't know if any tips are uniquely mine, but I definitely find that the lower I go on carbs, the easier this is. I've gotten to the point where I will say what nutrient I want rather than what flavor food I'd like. I would heavily argue in favor of cutting out any sweeteners at all. I was a "light and sweet" coffee girl, and I find I prefer cream-only to cream+stevia. Now sweetened coffee tastes awful to me. But that's been true since 2010. Anyway, the less sweetener I have, the less indulgences I desire. Look for the Whole30 "Sex with your pants on" article, which I largely agree with even if it's not exactly the same plan as I am following.

When I am feeling sluggish I look to protein. If I get weak I look to electrolytes. If I'm snacky I go for fat.

I take magnesium supplements twice a day to prevent cramping in my legs overnight. But I already knew that magnesium is good for the nervous system and took it for sciatic-related pain, too.
    Who motivates you?
    My husband, and you guys! <3
    What motivates you?
    The skinny pants in my closet I haven't been able to wear since 2010. The idea of donating clothes that are too big for me. This image of a strong and slender old lady who is healthy and active and alert - my grandfather is about to turn 100, I have a long life ahead of me! I don't want to spend it in a rocking chair.

I've also really been enjoying the cooking. Normally I'd have been cooking and entering foods and negotiating -1/2c green beans to try and fit in some garlic toast, and arguing with my husband why adding cinnamon to a dessert meant he couldn't have the whole serving. Now that we've cut way back and are preparing fresh meats with homemade sauces, there's no more of that. We just cook together and enjoy each other's company, and feel great while we eat amazingly delicious foods.

What also motivates me is how disappointed I am whenever I eat packaged foods. I poured jarred alfredo sauce on my chicken a couple weeks ago and it tasted like liquid plastic. Once your taste buds know what real food is, you don't want to go back.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I've learned a ton, but mostly I have a renewed respect for the complexity of the human body. I studied a little biochem 30+ years ago, but didn't enjoy the lab work and switched to computer science. Now I want to switch back to biochem. :)

I found LC through an enlightened doc 10 years ago. He was pretty fresh out of med school and had done some nutritional research projects as part of his studies, which was unusual for an MD. He saw my blood test results and basically said "d00d, you have hereditary dyslipidemia. Go get a copy of Protein Power."

I did, and it worked, but I slacked off. My goal is to make LC a lifestyle. I need it to manage the way my body handles excess carbs. Long-term sustainability is key for me.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I really, REALLY love this intelligent, empowered, amazing, supportive group. :-) Just sayin'...
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Parkdad wrote:

I think the last straw, that scared me, was I was regularly getting numbness/tingling in my arms while sleeping. Talking to my doctor, he said it was a fat/circulation problem. But I would constantly hear of diabetics getting heart attacks. I didn't want to be one of them. I still didn't have a solution. I swore to myself I would never do another diet. I did pray to God NOT to give me willpower, but to give me wisdom to scientifically figure this out. God opened doors for me. (YAY!)

I hope this helps,

Dan, I read this this morning, but had to wait until I got to a computer to type this. I always read your posts with interest. Sometimes I have nothing useful to add to a conversation, or I'm on my tablet and writing is slow and tedious on that, so don't always reply: don't be downhearted, you do help people a lot with your contributions.

In particular, I was really interested that you also get/got what you describe as numbness and tingling in your arms while sleeping. This was the thing that scared me into losing weight because I couldn't rationalise it away: I usually sleep on my side and it's not the lower side (the side on the mattress) that gets the "pins and needles" (I don't know if you call it that in the US), but the upper side. I usually last asleep OK until 5 am but then I need to turn over every 15/20 minutes or so to relieve the tingling. Obviously blood is not circulating as it should when I'm in bed for a long time. Not only is it worrying from a heart/circulatory perspective, but also it cuts down my sleep and I could really do with the extra hour from 5 am -6 am!

Now that I've lost 26/7 lbs I thought it would have resolved as I am now the same weight as I was before the problem started, but it hasn't resolved (yet?).

Reading your post reminded me why I started this WOE. This was good as I've been quite down-hearted this week and while I wasn't contemplating giving up keto, I have noticed self-sabotaging thoughts and behaviours creeping in: this tends to be a pattern for me whenever I start to feel like I am being successful on a diet and at losing weight. Especially when other people start noticing - that tends to make me want to stop for some bizarre reason.

We spoke before about feeling "led" to this WOE: maybe your post there was a reminder for me why I started and why I need to continue. My faith is in the mustard seed category, but sometimes I just need to trust in something bigger.

Interesting to note that having your friends notice "tends to make me want to stop for some bizarre reason." I have the same reaction. A shrink once told me that I use my weight to hide from people. Maybe that's the answer. I know I have an over-blown need for privacy. Probably from growing up in a "shame on you" atmosphere. Hang on anyway. it's really none of their business.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Great thread. Thanks all.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Reading about the LC has helped me learn how I need to focus on getting my Vit D level up and that taking K1 and K2 are required to do that well and wind up with strong bones. LC learning is helping me better grasp how to live as disease free as possible.
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    In lieu of a coffee break, I pull up to the office computer with a big jug of water and start looking for the MFP LCHF notes to get me psyched up for lunch!
    To parkdad, octobubbles, dan the man, everyone - I learn something from you every day.

Oh well... nobody will read this, but it did help me to write it out... per Dan the Man from Michigan+ NOT SO

It helps me to read about all of your challenges and your positive attitudes have taught me more than my failed, repeated attempts at WeightWatchers ever did!
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Once again, just what I needed from all of you to keep going <3
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

I was overweight - 345lbs or so. A few years ago I started having weird symptoms after I ate. Lightheadedness - a sort of "fuzzy" feel I couldn't shake. Then nausia. A few weeks later I started getting sick about 15-30 minutes after meals. Almost every meal. I started to become afraid to eat, wondering whether I'd keep it down or lose it. It was terrifying. My doctor put me through all kinds of tests. They all came back that I was perfectly fine. My labs were fine. Aside from my describing my symptoms, there was no evidence anything was happening. Finally I asked about food allergies. We tried that, and within a day of removing gluten the symptoms stopped. I cut out all carbs except what I ate in my vegetables to make it easier on myself, and not only did my extreme bloating, discomfort, nausia, fuzzy headedness go away, but within a few weeks so did the aches in my fingers and wrists from typing all day. This discovery helped my doctor and I move me to a keto lifestyle.

What motivates you?

Feeling healthy, no longer being sick, losing 112 lbs. I run, do yoga, lift weights, and zumba on saturdays :) I haven't thrown up in a long time and that's awesome for me. I look great, I feel great. I believe in myself and after a year and a half I know I can stick to this without any trouble.

The first time I stopped losing I was nervous. I'd dropped 60 lbs pretty effortlessly and then one day, nothing. The nothing lasted a couple of weeks, and was more stressful mentally than anything else. Getting past that first one has made all the others no big deal. I do start weighing and measuring just in case the stall in weight loss was my own doing from not paying attention, but I don't stress anymore. It's not a race.

My difficulties have been primarily with other people. Not just the annoying "high fat is bad for you. you need carbs." stuff. I had to remove some friends from my life who were actively antagonistic and toxic, more angry that I was losing weight successfully and interupting their ability to go out for drinks or dinner and have me not drink or not eat my food "like a normal person." Their anger was unexpected and painful. Finding people to talk to who were patient and understanding and had been there before made all the difference in the world.

They are not uniquely mine, but I preplan my week, cook a lot on sundays and prep meal boxes for lunches for the week. I buy in bulk like a lot of people and freeze/store/make ahead. I would be a mess if I didn't do this. I also pick one or two things that I love and buy high quality items. For me it was buying an espresso machine and buying awesome espresso. The other is cheese. I love great cheese. Those are my splurges. My "cheats" or whatever. My espresso machine makes me happier than cupcakes. I thinking having a "thing" that gets you excited is important.
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    saraphim41 wrote: »
    Parkdad wrote:

I hope this helps,

Interesting to note that having your friends notice "tends to make me want to stop for some bizarre reason." I have the same reaction. A shrink once told me that I use my weight to hide from people. Maybe that's the answer. I know I have an over-blown need for privacy. Probably from growing up in a "shame on you" atmosphere. Hang on anyway. it's really none of their business.

@saraphim41 good to know I'm not the only one! I read comments on weight loss like this as "because you were so fat and ugly".... projecting out my own self hatred....my own problems! I think you're right that weight is used to hide too. But hopefully now we can get beyond the "emotional obesity". This is a great place to talk about this stuff and learn from you all. Thank you.
  • parkdad73
    parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    yturie47 wrote: »
    Once again, just what I needed from all of you to keep going <3

I am throughly enjoying all of these too! These are great motivation! Let's keep them coming. I encourage everyone to share their stories.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    supergirl6 wrote: »

I was overweight - 345lbs or so. A few years ago I started having weird symptoms after I ate. Lightheadedness - a sort of "fuzzy" feel I couldn't shake. Then nausia. A few weeks later I started getting sick about 15-30 minutes after meals. Almost every meal. I started to become afraid to eat, wondering whether I'd keep it down or lose it. It was terrifying. My doctor put me through all kinds of tests. They all came back that I was perfectly fine. My labs were fine. Aside from my describing my symptoms, there was no evidence anything was happening. Finally I asked about food allergies. We tried that, and within a day of removing gluten the symptoms stopped. I cut out all carbs except what I ate in my vegetables to make it easier on myself, and not only did my extreme bloating, discomfort, nausia, fuzzy headedness go away, but within a few weeks so did the aches in my fingers and wrists from typing all day. This discovery helped my doctor and I move me to a keto lifestyle.

What motivates you?

Feeling healthy, no longer being sick, losing 112 lbs. I run, do yoga, lift weights, and zumba on saturdays :) I haven't thrown up in a long time and that's awesome for me. I look great, I feel great. I believe in myself and after a year and a half I know I can stick to this without any trouble.

The first time I stopped losing I was nervous. I'd dropped 60 lbs pretty effortlessly and then one day, nothing. The nothing lasted a couple of weeks, and was more stressful mentally than anything else. Getting past that first one has made all the others no big deal. I do start weighing and measuring just in case the stall in weight loss was my own doing from not paying attention, but I don't stress anymore. It's not a race.

My difficulties have been primarily with other people. Not just the annoying "high fat is bad for you. you need carbs." stuff. I had to remove some friends from my life who were actively antagonistic and toxic, more angry that I was losing weight successfully and interupting their ability to go out for drinks or dinner and have me not drink or not eat my food "like a normal person." Their anger was unexpected and painful. Finding people to talk to who were patient and understanding and had been there before made all the difference in the world.

They are not uniquely mine, but I preplan my week, cook a lot on sundays and prep meal boxes for lunches for the week. I buy in bulk like a lot of people and freeze/store/make ahead. I would be a mess if I didn't do this. I also pick one or two things that I love and buy high quality items. For me it was buying an espresso machine and buying awesome espresso. The other is cheese. I love great cheese. Those are my splurges. My "cheats" or whatever. My espresso machine makes me happier than cupcakes. I thinking having a "thing" that gets you excited is important.

Thanks for sharing your awesome story about your experience.