Workout check-in - April-tle bit more awesome

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Be brave Diana you can do this!

you can. having a plan and a program - even if you're learning every inch of the way - helps such a lot. and besides, you got us :p
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    An anti-check-in
    Had house guests for two nights and I figured I could skip my routine to be polite, cause it was just two nights. So today is lifting day, and I woke up with some sort of stomach flu!! I have been so sick all day with flu-like symptoms, nausea, cramping, and staying close to my bathroom. So I guess I will NOT be going in today, and maybe not even tomorrow :(

Hope you feel better soon. Nice of you to be a polite host but it's unfortunate that your lifts are now affected by the sick bug. Take care of yourself.

I plan to lift tomorrow after work. Freight day, so should get some decent steps in too even if I'm only working 6 hours instead of 8. But boss said May is looking better for hours, which is good cause I hate having to ask parents to help cover rent since I'm 30. Le sigh. Hopefully this move idea works out. I will know Tuesday though it may affect my current choice in gym.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    6km run tonight - done!! Bam!!

@DianaLovesCoffee you got this babe!! You will not be making a fool of yourself at all!! Take it slowly. Work on form. Start light. You'll do great and once you start throwing around heavy things, you'll notice your confidence swell like your muscles lol xx
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I almost didn't make it to the gym this morning because my cat almost killed me trying to make me fall down the stairs this morning, lol.

I did make it, and it was Workout B:

Squats, 5x5@120 lbs. I repeated here and they were still tough, but I reduced my warmup sets a bit to keep a little more in the tank for working weight. I am going to try to bump up to 125 lbs next week.

OHP (can suck it), 3x5/2x4@55 lbs. Once again I could not get 55 lbs, grrr! If I can't get it next time, I'll have to deload, but hopefully I can get it done next week.

Deadlift, 1x5@135 lbs. I had to use mixed grip, and was able to do this weight but I think my form was not great. I am going to repeat this weight next week to work on form.

Accessories: good mornings, 3x10@55 lbs.

Cardio: 45 minutes on the treadmill (plus an extra 10 minute walk after my run and cooldown so I could finish the ep of House of Cards lol)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    @DianaLovesCoffee you got it. It doesn't take long to feel at home in a weight room.

Today was bench 1 day but I just did a deload this cycle so nothing to impressive
    70 lbs x 5, 80 lbs x 3, 90 lbs x 3
    3x8 @65 lbs

AMRAP 4 min x 3
    Rows 65 lbs
    DB snatch 15 lbs
    Inverted rows
    Hanging knee raises
    2.5, 3, 2.5

Lunch will be tempo 5k that I really don't want to do. Any time longer than 30 minutes will seem like a failure for it and pushing for it seems like so much work. Next week is deload week and I will take it easy then, but I want to take it easy now waaaaaah
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I almost didn't make it to the gym this morning because my cat almost killed me trying to make me fall down the stairs this morning, lol.

I think this is appropriate http://theoatmeal.com/misc/frame/cat_kill
  • coltsgirl311
    Options

I think this is appropriate http://theoatmeal.com/misc/frame/cat_kill

LOL!! That is absolutely appropriate. My cats do all of those things (I have 3). Lucky I've lived this long probably!

• MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I have two and they do them all as well. They even combine them like sprinting out of the litter box after digging... I wonder if they were ambushing me because they prepared a hole in which to bury my body :astonished:
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    2 mile run at lunch today. My legs are stupid sore from my workout yesterday, so I was slow. I'm just glad I pushed through 2 miles truth be told.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I started Couch25k, felt great, today-lifting. Since I deloaded squats a while ago for form I did working set @100lbs today but got very low (for me) and really felt my hamstrings working. Warmups were *kitten* to grass. Did 5x5 of bench and rows @80lbs. That is a big improvement for me with both of those lifts.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I managed to get off of my butt at lunch for my 5k tempo. I was really not into it, dragged something fierce getting ready to go but once I got out there I felt great. PR'ed it in 28:43 so 7 seconds off of last weeks time. I am still really glad that next week is a deload/take it easy kind of week.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Got my lift on today:
    5 min. warmup
    Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x125
    Bench: 5x5x90
    Row: 5x5x80 < that one is ready to bump up next time
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    May I join? I'm on my 5th week (M, W, F) and so far have done pretty well except for the overhead presses. I guess I'll give it some more time.

My body still looks the same, and the fat just wants to hang on. I've trained for a 10miler race which I ran this past Sunday, and now I've temporarily stopped running and started up with bicycling again. Should I keep up my cardio to lose more fat?

My last sets were Monday and Wednesday:

Squats: 5x5x105lbs. - these are definitely getting harder
    OP: 5x5x45lbs. -had to deload because could never finish my sets at 50 lbs. after 3 tries.
    Deadlifts: 5x5x145lbs. - I got a compliment from some guy who said my deadlifts are great.
    Bench Press: 5x5x75lbs. - love bench presses
    Barbell Row: 5x5x85 lbs. - have been at this weight for a while.

• MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    @dcresider of course you may join in! Fat loss comes from creating a deficit. It's most effective to do this with diet but cardio can help make up for logging errors and spikes in consumption. Just be careful not to overdo it - SL gets hard once that weight gets up and you need to make sure you're giving your body the rest and recovery it needs. Your numbers look great by the way! If you're eating at a deficit, the lack of physical changes you're seeing could be that you're holding onto water or the changes are just too slight to notice yet.
  • coltsgirl311
    Options
    I have two and they do them all as well. They even combine them like sprinting out of the litter box after digging... I wonder if they were ambushing me because they prepared a hole in which to bury my body :astonished:

Aaaaahh, my cats do that too! I never thought of that as a potential reason, but you are probably on to something! :smiley:

• irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    My body still looks the same, and the fat just wants to hang on. I've trained for a 10miler race which I ran this past Sunday, and now I've temporarily stopped running and started up with bicycling again. Should I keep up my cardio to lose more fat?

Theoretically, you should have 2 days in a row of rest at some point. When you do, the morning of the 2nd day is the day to weigh and measure. Even if you don't weigh, do your measurements, because we see ourselves daily and changes are not only hard to detect, but if we don't see or feel them, we get discouraged. (at least I do) hence the mess I'm in at the moment.

I was heading down into 198 and lower when I got discouraged because of relationship issues and decided I was working hard for nothing. Pushed through that, but lost momentum and gained weight because I relied too heavily on my newly enhanced BMR, lost that and gained the fat back. Then I started up again, but had a bike accident and really messed up my shoulder bad enough that I couldn't even ride a bike from the vibration. My PT (physical Therapist) didn't want me lifting anything and I stuck with my exercises she gave me.
    Then there was a crazy amount of moving. 3x's in less than 6 months. Started up again after assessing my one rep max's which were 195 for deadsquats (trap bar), 95 for benches and we just moved that to rows too and I think 60 for OHP. I've been doing them in splits and supposed to be doing 5/3/1 but wasn't lol.

I've had 3 weeks off since I started over again (I think it's been 2 months) 1 because my knee suddenly and mysteriously decided to quit functioning and 2 because of getting sick.

Current stats all together are:
    Deadsquats 189 x 5 (+warm up sets) Monday
    Benches 95 x 5 (+warm up sets) Tuesday
    Rows 95 x 5 (+ warm up sets and using thumbless grip) Tuesday
    Wedensday, rest day.
    Tonight is 135 # farmer's carry for 100 yrds. Last time I did it in 1 stop, when I can do it without stopping I'll add 5#s.
    Tomorrow is OHP 64 for 5 reps.
    Concentration Curls using 10 lb dumbbells in a downward slope starting from 10 and then hammer curls using the same method. Go as close to failure as I can.

you guys are all doing awesome. Very inspirational. I was on here originally not really sure how I fell off, but hey, I'm back!

next week I try for 200lb dead squats and 100lb benches and rows x's 3. eep!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Still have stomach flu, and now my kids have it too. So someday I will make it back in. and probably have to deload, grr! Always one step forward and two steps back! But I made it to 100 so I don't care!
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I completely know how that feels threnjen! take care of yourself and make sure you get sleep too.

Tonight I added incline/decline and 20 yards so 135 farmer's carry up and down a slight hill x2 for 120 yrds. One stop at the halfway point. Also really freaking tired before I started. It also looks like I might make my base protein goal for once.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    dragged something fierce getting ready to go but once I got out there I felt great.

this. i was so tired on my way home from work i thought seriously about dekeing off home and pulling the 'lift tomorrow' card. HUNGRY too. but i was feeling strong, just tired, so i bought an orange and ate it and went anyway. good call. i started out with two planks at 60secs and then 40 (just too pooped), and i really think i'm going to make this a part of my standard routine. it's just so much better if you can squat with a core that's with the program.

squats: 2x5@45, 1x5@65, big breath and straight up to 5x5@85. not going to say they were easy, because they zarking weren't. i expect i'll be doing the same weight next time. but it's still two increases in a row since i came back from my rest, and i feel much less messed up compared with the last time i was at these kinds of weights for a consistent timespan. so been here before, but feels like there's a lot more room to progress this time around. shoulders LEVEL, yee hah. only point i'm noticing is that too much quad may be sneaking back in, because my knees have been grumbling a bit. keeping a tight back has been tipping me off balance in that respect.

ohp: another great one. no warmup but it was 2x6@45, 1x3@45, 3x6@45 - and no rack!! so i was cleaning the bar for every set and then just getting myself set up from there. i felt so strong that i think i would have gone to 50 if i'd had the rack, but since i didn't and i liked my form so much at 45, i just added reps.

rows: this is in the ice-cream fitness spirit, sort of. and sort of in the interests of my shoulder. not part of workout b, but i did 2 or 3 sets of 5@ 65 when i was prepping to do my deadlifts. they were harder than they were last time i did serious rows and form felt a bit twisty, but i was concentrating on keeping my shoulderblades in position so it kind of threw me off about other things.

deadlift: warmups at 65 with the big training-wheel plates, 4x1@115, and then my form was feeling so much better i went on up to 125 after all. so 5x1@125 as work weight, and i kept it by the book for a change and didn't try to do more. i'm not really a fan of teh whole 'lift angry' thing, but i did hit a point where i just got tired of myself faffing around at the lower weights and got serious and it seemed to work.

and then i wound up with two sets of 8-12 at pendlay rows with the 30lb bar, held off centre to give more of the weight to my left.

pretty good day. actually, a pretty great day. i'm definitely glad that i went, and i refuelled afterwards with home made tiger butter. protein and carbs!!

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Pretty ugly start on SL tonight. Weird moody week in general and I ate a meal entirely of chocolates today.

Squats 5/5/4/5/3 200lbs - First time lifting 200lbs but couldn't get all the reps. First set was ugly form. The fail on set 3 I bailed mid squat and dropped the bar behind me. I was hoping to bypass stripping the bar and asked for help and two of us couldn't get the coordination to get the bar off the rails. doh!

OHP 5x5 72.5lbs - Die OHP! If I failed this and had to deload I would be pissed because I know I can do it. Well I did
    it, yay!

Deadlift 1x5 185lbs - PR! Finally getting used to switch grip, I think. The 165lb warm up is tiring.