bulletproof coffee FAIL

Options

Replies

• shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I make a double in the morning. Pod coffee, butter and only sometimes coconut oil. Blended til it's really frothy. I drink one at home and put the rest in my flask for mid morning. It's about 350 cals for both (if you care about cals) and it keeps me from being hungry until I get home from work at about 1pm. I used to use cream, but I've discovered you don't need it, the butter when whipped is creamy enough. Oh, and I use salted butter. I used to use unsalted, but one day I ran out and the salted is actually really good. Better even.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Adding egg would negate the insulin-sparing effects of original recipe butter+MCT BPC.

Caffeine itself can raise insulin levels, so...yeah...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17998023
  • kleighsamboer33
    kleighsamboer33 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a french press if you are opposed to getting a coffee machine. I don't think I could stomach putting that much fat into tea. By the way, even with tea you are supposed to put it in a blender with the fat and blend it. Not sure if you are doing that or not? I use organic coffee brewed strong, 1-2 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon unrefined organic coconut oil, and 1 tablespoon MCT oil blended until I get a froth on top.
    Nausea can be pretty common at first. our body has to get used to running off of fat instead of carbs and sometimes that transition isn't pleasant. If you find that you are still hungry try pairing your coffee with a bit of protein. Eat a slice of cheese or make an egg or two until you get used to it.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Fat4Fuel2 wrote: »
    Maybe try adding an egg or two with the BPC. It helped me with the nausea I first felt when I tried it. Basically pairing it with a bit of protein.

How do you add the egg? Raw?

I meant on the side. lol. Sorry for the confusion!
  • yeswehave8
    yeswehave8 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have used BPC off and on, I go through spurts... they suggest you build up the coconut oil over a few days to weeks, as some folks can be sensitive to it. I have used up to tbsp of coconut oil without issue, but I built up to that.

I like to add natural vanilla and a little organic cacao powder sometimes, like a healthy mocha! :)
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    For people outside the US, the fat content of creams available can vary quite widely from the US standard (which tends to be on the low side) because they are set individually by country, but generally HWC=Double Cream, which in both cases is the go-to cream for whipping due to it's higher fat content. Single cream is fine if you're not whipping, and it's best to do a search for all the creams available in your area to determine what's what--the range can vary a surprisingly high amount. One of the biggest suppliers in my area, for example, has a single cream that's just a hair under the standards for double cream, and is perfect. Otherwise I'm stuck paying out the nose for (admittedly amazing) organic double cream which is seasonally produced and often difficult to find as they are a small company and their restaurant distribution takes priority.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Every now and then when I am pressed for time, I make my own version of egg coffee, just like I make my BPC but with a raw egg blended in with it. You can't really tell that the egg is there. Some people put sweeteners or flavours like cinnamon and vanilla in with it, and I used to make it kind of like a cross between eggnog and a latte, but now I just like it plain, with egg, butter and MCT oil.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Now I'm confused. I thought coconut oil was MCT oil. What is? I've been using 1tbsp butter, 1tbsp coconut oil, & 1 tbsp cream & 1/4 packet Splenda or stevia. Is there another oil I need to add?
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    No you're OK with what you are using. MCT oil is coconut oil, and it is a liquid. I also buy coconut oil in a jar and it is solid in our climate, only becomes liquid in the heat. I use the liquid kind in my coffee, and I don't notice a coconut flavour. My solid coconut oil has a coconut aroma and flavour, but you could use that in your coffee, either one will do.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kitnthecat. Noticed solid stuff today at Sobeys, didn't know what the difference was tho.
  • kleighsamboer33
    Options
    there are a couple types of MCT oil. I use both because coconut oil has some benefits that MCT doesn't like the amount of lauric acid. They are both beneficial.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    I didn't know what MCT oil was until I found out about Bulletproof coffee. I had been buying the solid kind for years before that. I buy Nutiva if I want coconut flavour and Superstore has a big tub of "Organic Fields" for way cheaper than the Nutiva, but I also like Omega Nutrition coconut oil when I don't want too much coconut flavour. We are also hooked on Coconut Manna for desserts. You have to shop around, since we don't have the deals that the folks in the States can get for these items.
  • kleighsamboer33
    Options
    very true. the coconut oil with coconut smell/taste is unrefined coconut oil and the coconut oil with no smell or taste of coconuts is refined oil. MCT oil is medium chain triglycerides. It is usually produced from coconuts but also sometimes palm. Coconut Manna is coconut butter which is just coconut blended until it forms a smooth butter. I hope that helps. It can be kind of confusing with all the products they make from coconuts :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Natural coconut oil is 62% MCT. It is the long chain triglycerides that go solid below 76F the best I remember. For some reason MCT burns my throat so I used up the one bottle that I bought and just do straight coconut oil now.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I keep hearing about heavy whipping cream...hiw much fat does it have per 100ml? Here there is just "cream".

This is how cream is defined in the U.S.

Half and half (10.5–18% fat)
    Light cream (18–30% fat)
    Light Whipping cream (30–36% fat)
    Heavy cream (36% fat or more) (or 36+ grams of fat per 100ml)

Heavy cream is not the same as the British double cream. Double cream has 48% butterfat, 8% higher than the highest-fat cream available in the United States.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    photo_kyla wrote: »
    I keep hearing about heavy whipping cream...hiw much fat does it have per 100ml? Here there is just "cream".

Light cream (18–30% fat)

Heavy cream is not the same as the British double cream. Double cream has 48% butterfat, 8% higher than the highest-fat cream available in the United States.

Here in Japan, they sell 35% and 47% versions -- the 47% is the one I put in my afternoon coffee at work. Someone who can read kanji read the 35% label for me and said it had added soybean oil in it! So I avoid that one. One carton lasts about a week -- I just scraped out the last of the thickened bits (butter??) at the bottom of this week's carton and put it in my tea--yum!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Day 5 and still alive...

Thank you all for advice! I've been slowly increasing the amount of coconut oil I'm using... I'm thinking of getting some straight up MCT oil as well.

I've also been adding cinnamon because it's tasty and it's supposed to help regulate blood sugar. :smile:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Light cream (18–30% fat)

Figures we wouldn't get the real high fat stuff. I feel screwed. :(
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Light cream (18–30% fat)

That's really helpful, thanks- the good stuff is the clotted cream, it's delicious, but not sure it would be sufficiently mixable with coffee!
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Wish we could get the higher fat stuff in Canada. Our cream is similar to American cream. Our half and half is usually 10%, light cream or cereal cream is 6%, coffee cream is 18% and whipping cream is 35%.

I had a cow share for a brief time, and would get big jars of milk, let the cream rise to the top then pour it off and save it for my coffee...delicious. But it is illegal to sell raw milk here, so I had to give it up when my supplier faced pressure from the Province. Our government doesn't even want people who own the cow to drink unpasteurized dairy.