13»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    photo_kyla wrote: »
    minties82 wrote: »
    I keep hearing about heavy whipping cream...hiw much fat does it have per 100ml? Here there is just "cream".

This is how cream is defined in the U.S.

Half and half (10.5–18% fat)
    Light cream (18–30% fat)
    Light Whipping cream (30–36% fat)
    Heavy cream (36% fat or more) (or 36+ grams of fat per 100ml)

Heavy cream is not the same as the British double cream. Double cream has 48% butterfat, 8% higher than the highest-fat cream available in the United States.

Figures we wouldn't get the real high fat stuff. I feel screwed. :(

I wholeheartedly agree, @Dragonwolf. Such a rip off!!!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    @bluefish86 If you are going to do the regular MCT oil- be careful- if coconut oil upset your stomach, there is a good chance it will too. Start with a very small quantity and work your way up.
  • JessikaJacobs87
    JessikaJacobs87 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Question; I am having a hard time finding CO here, every store I have gone to does not carry it. Can I make BPC with just HWC? Is that ok? With it froth the way it is supposed to?
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    where have you looked? Natural food stores usually have coconut oil, GNC sells MCT oil, and the ethnic section of the grocery store should have coconut oil too.
    HWC is not what BPC is intended for, so it depends on why you are making BPC. If you are following The Bulletproof DIet, then you absolutely need grassfed butter and MCT oil. If you are just trying to raise your calories, or to make sure you have some kind of breakfast, then tweak the recipe however you like.
    The froth will come with a frother, regardless of what you put in the coffee
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Question; I am having a hard time finding CO here, every store I have gone to does not carry it. Can I make BPC with just HWC? Is that ok? With it froth the way it is supposed to?

You can also use butter. I think the original has MCT oils and butter. My preferred one (I use tea as I don't like coffee) has coconut oil and HWC. Butter I prefer in broth.

And I can't recall where you are from, but even my small-town Walmart has a variety of coconut oils, so perhaps ask a manager next time you're at a store you shop at regularly?

OH! And I tried the Primal Egg (Tea) Coffee, variation 2, this morning, and it needs to be tweaked some for my taste, but it will definitely become a regular in my routine!
  • yeswehave8
    yeswehave8 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The original "creator" of BPC peddles his own MCT oil that is a blend and supposedly with a higher concentration than just coconut oil. I have tried it and it is ok, but I did not find that it made enough of a difference to me to justify the price tag. Good, organic coconut oil is not hard to find in my area and is also very easy to find online and costs a lot less than the specialty MCT.

My butter of choice is Kerrygold. I love that stuff! :)
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Figures we wouldn't get the real high fat stuff. I feel screwed. :(

It's because the basic commercial dairy cow in North America is a very high volume milker with a very low butterfat content. Simply put, they don't produce dense enough cream for a regular commercial offering of higher butterfat products. Other countries with higher butterfat offerings are generally working with different breeds of cow as the standard, or slightly different diets, which do make a difference.