47 yo female: expectations and frustrations

Options

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Oh good. That was what I was thinking. After all how can something that makes me feel so good be bad? (Oh wait, what about margaritas. . .. !).

It would be nice if the media would be a bit more clear instead of just stirring up fear, etc. every time I turn around there is a FB article about fitness popping up, and how something another is forbidden, food wise or exercise wise. I love to read, but sometimes it is easy to be misled.

Thx for the reply.
  • tigerblue
    Options
    And thx for the congrats. It does feel really good to have it under control. It has been a long but informative journey. I feel now that I mostly have the tools I need for staying fit for the long haul, unless I get a health or injury surprise! I can take a more relaxed attitude about the whole thing,because I feel that even if I start gaining again, I can manage it.

Perhaps the next step for me will be learning to eat more intuitively, if I continue to have a more appropriate appetite. This afternoon I had to make myself eat after my run (I'm up to 47 minutes regularly now, at least once a week, shorter for other days) because I knew that the hunger would hit later, and I wouldn't have another opportunity until dinner. And for dinner, because I was not ravenous, I chose to eat my burger without chips first and then wait and see if I was still hungry. The cravings are mostly gone. Maybe later I'll have some chips, or maybe a bowl of ice cream, or maybe a glass of wine. But I won't have to choose based on what will fill my empty leg for the least number of calories. I can choose based on what strikes my fancy.

This truly is uncharted territory for me. . . . And I'm definitely not complaining!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    @tigerblue I took your experience to heart, researched my vitamin D, and decided to put myself on a regimen. As it turns out I must have been pretty deficient, because my appetite has normalized further since starting to take it twice a day just last week. Good thing I decided to trust my body's clues and see if there was a deficiency lurking. I will get things confirmed with this year's annual blood tests, by adding a vitamin D level into the mix, and discuss further with my M.D. so she knows what I'm doing and can provide further feedback.

Weight has been slooowly moving downward (a result of putting myself on a calorie deficit before I started the vitamin D ... although maintaining that deficit has suddenly gotten way easier) -- which is thrilling because menopause means I've been wrangling my body over every.single.fat.cell it seems like LOL. I'm definitely not complaining either! It was like another puzzle piece just fell into place.

I might just trust intuitive eating again a few months down the road, which has never worked for me very consistently. Being vitamin D deficient makes a lot of sense, as I've never been a major outdoor person and tend to avoid the midday sun like the plague as we live in a southern state and it's just too dang hot during that time. I've struggled with my appetite my entire life (which has always been ravenous even when I'm not super active physically) and now I'm thinking ... how deficient have I been all this time, really? And have beaten myself up for no reason over my weight struggles. Boo. Hiss. Gah. That's alright though, better late than never. :smile:

I can't comment about running, but I will say that it's EXTREMELY important to continue strength training, WAY more important than cardio (moderate cardio even with "just" walking is fine really, unless you love running, in which case have at it) -- especially at our age. Muscle mass, muscle mass, muscle mass. Build it. Use it. Love it. It will help you stay active and healthy for years to come and avoid all kinds of troubles down the road. If we have a bit of spare fat around the edges, that's not a bad thing, as long as our muscle mass is sufficient.

By all means if you want to run, then do so, but please don't sacrifice strength training for it.

Here are a couple of articles for you to check into regarding this:
    http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2015/04/09/losing-bodyfat-or-gaining-muscle-mass-which-is-more-important
    (this article is written by Mark Rippetoe, a man who knows what he's talking about when it comes to strength)
    http://www.niashanks.com/strength-training-benefits
    (this article is written by Nia Shanks, a women's strength coach who also knows what she's talking about when it comes to strength training, food issues and a host of other women-related things).

Cheers!
  • tigerblue
    Options
    @DaniH826--I agree, it is definitely easier to eat at goal, whatever it is, now that my appetite is appropriate. Notice I said appropriate, not controlled! Yesterday may prove that mine is not quite controlled! Donuts for breakfast and party buffet for dinner. My healthiest choice of the day was spaghetti and meat sauce! Calories were not outrageous, but oh, the lack of nutrition! But that is why I do MFP and not some weird low carb or other exclusion type diet. I can live my life and eat normally, or even a bit beyond normal, and participate in the food that culturally accompanies life's accomplishments (here in the south, school concerts, graduations, sports seasons conclusions, and pretty much everything else is celebrated with decadent food! Probably that way other places too, but southerners tend to go over the top, culturally, with everything--our hair was bigger in the 80's, our houses are over-decorated, our clothes are fussier, etc. . . In college I remember my California roommate was appalled by my excess! And I couldn't understand her simplicity!)

Anyway, MFP lets me stay in touch with reality, but gives me the freedom to deal with life, and then move back to healthier eating! When I did low glycemic, I stopped eating anywhere outside my own house! Not sustainable!

Seriously though, I am still thankful to not feel the constant need to be eating, and if I don't make a single gain in fitness or weight beyond this, I feel like I can live my life. If it truly is vitamin D as I suspect, the nutrition scientists seriously need to figure this out and get the research, etc!

An observation. Misfit has updated their site so I can easily see weekly and monthly averages. Back in February and March when I was struggling so much, my average TDEE was 1600-1700. This month I have averaged 2000! That is the difference that being at work, and having access to outside so I can run regularly will do! Is it any wonder that I was gaining weight during those months? I was reporting an intake of around 1500, but if you factor in 10% error, which I figure is reasonable for both my logging and the TDEE reported by misfit, you can see what the problem was! BTW @DaniH826--I really do like running, and I was glad to see warmer weather so I could run more. It is the only exercise I have found that I consistently WANT to do. Thx for the reminder about strength, though. I can use those encouragements anytime, as I can always convince myself to NOT lift on any given day for just about any reason!!

My NSV: (TOM is here so the only victories I will see will be away from the scale this week). Yesterday I stretched my bare (yay spring) legs out in front of me, and lo and behold, I have calf muscles! There was actually a bit of roundness to the sides of my lower legs! Three or four years ago, after losing my weight, I had someone tell me I had the skinniest legs they had ever seen. This was not a compliment!! (At least not to me. Also, for the record, at my highest weight of 156 lbs, wearing a size 14, I still had skinny legs! Thigh gap?? not a problem! Well, maybe no thigh gap at 156, but they were still skinny!) I'm still not seeing the ab fat budge, but at least there are improvements. I'm not sure if the ab fat is an age thing or what. It is like my mid section is just THICK now, and as a young person it wasn't. As a young woman, at around 105 lbs, I had the classic 36-24-36 hourglass (except it sat on toothpick legs, as I mentioned above!) and ab fat just didn't happen! Age has definitely changed the fat distribution for me!

Transitioning to summer: I'm a little worried here. Hopefully my Misfit connection will work again soon (the company is supposedly working on the issue that was presented by the app update, but it still is not resolved and MFP and Misfit are not "communicating" and sharing my info). That would help. Here is my issue. I am so much less active outside of workouts during the summer because I am not at work. (Small house--I can walk the entire house in 15 steps!). I am going to have to either adjust my eating again, or add more workout to compensate for less non exercise activity. I will have more time, so maybe I'll just add in an extra walk each day. Or maybe a swim. Could be the time to start training for the triathlon that is on my bucket list?? Anyway, I definitely will have to be sensitive to the change.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Yea winter time can be hard to get enough exercise in if what you love happens outside. Maybe get a kettlebell or something for next winter. They're super fun! And you can do it in front of the TV. They have a metric crapton of kettlebell videos on Youtube if you're interested. You can also get cardio in by simply lowering weights when you train and doing more reps by way of superset interval cycles (with good form of course).

Here's a GOMA (Get Off My *kitten*) website you can check out (http://www.quittingthesitting.com) for ideas on how to just get more steps in during the day and challenge yourself. It doesn't have to be ONE thing we need to focus on. Any activity is good, and it all adds up. :)

I'm contemplating getting a fitness tracker but I'm afraid it'll make my OCD tendencies go nuts. I had to quit logging for a while because I was hyperfocused on every calorie I was taking in. So ... hmmmm. Still chewing on the idea. For now I'm using my phone's step tracker which is fine for the most part. I'd really like to get something I can wear as a watch though. How do you like the Misfit?
  • tigerblue
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @DaniH826 -- i did kettlebell and light-weights-as-cardio and bodyweight type exercise videos to stay at least active during the indoor days, but I just don't get as good a burn (partly because HR is up and down--I use the circuit training numbers from MFP for estimating burn--they were close to what my HRM was saying when I used one, for what that is worth. Also I can really only stand those videos, or even the treadmill or elliptical or stationary bike, for about 30 minutes!)

I will check out the link. You are right any moving is better than not.

I really like the misfit. I got the flash, which was on sale for $25 at Christmas. It's regularly $50. (The $99.00 shine has the same mechanisms but is in a jewelry quality shell, and it is beautiful. It is appropriate even for business or dress attire. I would love to have one!). It seems to track my movements well, without over-tracking my arm movements (bodymedia I had before counted typing as exercise, and you can only imagine what it did with piano playing--and I'm a musician/conductor/drummer). It's numbers line up with several online calculators as well as @heybales spreadsheet TDEE estimator. It ranges from about 1750-2250 a day for me. Besides the low price, I chose it because I can wear it several different places--wrist, shoe, collar, pocket, bra, etc and get a good reading. I especially wanted that feature after having so much trouble with arm movement and the BodyMedia(now the jawbone). Misfit also acts as a cool faceless wristwatch, and I like that. I've ended up wearing it on my wrist, since it seems to work well that way without going crazy when I drum or conduct, and I like the watch feature.

With any monitor, you have to take it with a grain of salt--I'm sure there is built in margin of error!
  • tigerblue
    Options
    More proof of vitamin D at work here?? Read on and see what you think.

Today I had an early morning meeting at work, so it was too early for me to eat before I left for work. I tucked a Kind bar into my bag. I wasn't starving or anything, so no big deal. I did pack my normal huge travel jug of coffee though, and I forgot to take my vitamin D. As is usually the case when I drink a lot of coffee on an empty stomach (or with a lot of sugary food--I don't have any sugar or sweetener in my coffee btw, just because of personal preference. I do love a couple of tbsp of half and half, though), I got a case of the shakes about 30 minutes in. (This is yet another reason I've not tried any kind of IF regimen). So I ate my kind bar. An hour later I was still shaky, so I headed to the nearby Taco Bell for the free cinco de mayo biscuit taco, thinking at least there would be protein in the eggs. (BTW don't bother if you haven't tried this fast food delicacy. 470 calories of meh. Totally not worth it. At least the McDonald's biscuit is fluffy and buttery!). By lunch, I was envisioning huge amounts of food--like a major Big Mac craving, or a huge bowl of meaty chili--basically high protein and fat things--and lots of them! This was something that hasn't happened in weeks, and actually, I've not had a CRAVING like that in months. I got home and I think I've settled things down a bit with high protein greek yogurt and chia seeds and high protein granola, plus hummus and pretzels. I knew without a doubt that my body was asking for protein first, so I didn't give into the cravings. I'm feeling better already. But now I have 185 calories left for the rest of the day. Guess I'll be going over. Oh well.

So, could it be the skipping of the vitamin D, or is it the other factors--like being off schedule and having a snack for breakfast instead of the usual higher protein better breakfast (6g protein vs 14+g usually). And TOM factors in here too, as my appetite is always increased then. Plus I had a long run (53 minutes) yesterday. I ate back most of my calories (all but 88) but it could be that I burned more than I thought (I logged 525 cals burned) and today was my body's way of making up. I guess there is no way to know, really.

Anyway, definite strangeness.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I was told it took a bit of time for the Vit D to build up, and likewise if I missed a day a bit of time to lower. Hence the reason why the prescription level was not every day, but like every 3rd or 4th day, don't recall.

I doubt one missed morning had an effect that fast.

But having a long run that you didn't refill carbs on from last meal (probably), and skipped breakfast, sure could have given you low blood sugar.
    Feeling more hungry than perhaps the body really needed to be fed, except for the blood sugar.
  • tigerblue
    Options
    Well, that's kind of what I had thought too, based on what I had read, but yesterday certainly made me think!

I went back and looked at dinner stats from the night before. I had plenty of calories overall for the day, (although I am attempting to eat at deficit of about 250-350) and carbs were high enough for the day, but my dinner was not especially high in carbs. Even with a pretty large glass of wine it still came in under 40.

Regardless, I will need a better plan for breakfast-on-the-go, since I will have these meetings weekly for awhile. Evidently I'd do better to go ahead and eat breakfast super early and plan a snack later. I sure don't want to repeat yesterday!

Also, I believe that if I continue to build time into my running, I am going to have to address eating differently. I've never really felt that my eating at a deficit affected my performance (except for once a year and a half ago when I did Body Revolution--the first month I was so hungry I had to eat at maintenance. After about a month my body adjusted to the increased/different type activity and I was able to cut back some, but I definitely felt a difference that time). But for my long runs lately I feel like my legs run out of gas. I have plenty of cardiovascular endurance left, but legs have no energy. Near the end of Monday's run I took my heart rate--156. That is so much lower than the way I would end my runs the first year I started running (4 years ago). Then I would end up at 170+. So I guess that is a sign of improvement in health and fitness! Yesterday I had not met my activity/step goal by the time I finished my workout (lifting), so I planned a short 10-15 minute run after. The legs just wouldn't do it. So I walked 30 minutes instead. Which was not a problem yesterday since I had plenty of time. (Here also is my other frustration--non exercise activity is sooooooo variable for me. Last week because of what I had going on at work I was meeting my goal before lunch. Yesterday, without a focused effort, it wasn't going to happen at all. That makes it very, very difficult to determine TDEE, eating plans, etc. it even varies from week to week and month to month. Which is why I keep going back to net calories method (also I have to confess that I just WONT stick to a steady goal that is much under 1450 a day. I can do it on occaision, but not for the long haul. 1500 and up I do okay, but for my lifestyle, less just doesn't happen. I also confess that part of that is choice, but I'm just being honest here!) Last week To compensate I just logged and ate any work activity that my misfit tagged as "light" or above. Seems to work okay I guess. But that explains some of my long term frustration for sure.

Anyway, I am reluctant to change anything, as the weight loss seems to be working well right now. But I've definitely been thinking. And moving into summer might be the time to make any changes, with a little more schedule flexibility. But of course there will be less daily activity for me during summer, not being at work. Probably it would be good for me to look at performance goals outside of removing the pad of fat from the waist/abs! I've not really had one, other than make sure and do something active most days. (Based on advice from a friend who is 65 and looks 40--when we asked how he did it, he said "I do something exercise wise every day"). I do tend to feel a good bit of accomplishment associated with adding time to my running, but there really is no reason for it other than just pleasing myself. I still have yet to actually do a race or event. It really is all about how it makes me feel (psychologically and physically).

• heybales
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'll bet it's not your legs - it's your low blood sugar.
    Your legs have enough carbs and fat available to go a lot longer than you do.
    But your mental state with low blood sugar will feel like they don't.

Indeed, 40 g or 40 calories of carbs for dinner after a 1 hr run - you were no where near topping off probably even the liver stores, then you fasted all night, so no wonder you had problems in the morning.

You'll need to eat more carbs after the run, if you want to have a decent workout the next day. Or enough carbs in meals between workouts to top stuff back off.

Carbs to protein ratio of 4:1 has been shown to increase the uptake in to the muscle for glucose storage when eaten within 30 min, and again within 2 hrs for next meal. Of course, that doesn't help your low blood sugar issue since that can't be put back in to the blood. And if it took away from the liver getting refilled - you still got problems.

You'll likely have to think of either better meal/snack timing to allow you to have a good workout, and then better timing to aid recovery from it.
  • tigerblue
    Options
    Ha! As a mother of two competitive swimmers, I should have caught that!

I'll have to give that some thought--adds more to the balancing act for sure. But more carbs is always good news! I have definitely been noticing for awhile now that I need carbs to feel satisfied. It seemed to be so contrary to the way usually protein is pushed for satiety that I had already wondered about it. Bottom line is even though I am constantly aware of fueling my two young athletes, I really don't consider myself an athlete, and so I've not given it much thought beyond calories, and a nod to protein, which I always seem to come up low on. 70+ is a good protein day for me!

Any additional suggested reading on this?
  • tigerblue
    Options
    Ha! As a mother of two competitive swimmers, I should have caught that! How many times have we carb-loaded for meets! And after practice! (After practice snack for 14 yo: 4 pop tarts, huge bowl of ice cream, and two bagels with cream cheese. True story, and that was just before dinner!)

I'll have to give that some thought--adds more to the balancing act for sure. But more carbs is always good news! I have definitely been noticing for awhile now that I need carbs to feel satisfied. It seemed to be so contrary to the way usually protein is pushed for satiety that I had already wondered about it. Bottom line is even though I am constantly aware of fueling my two young athletes, I really don't consider myself an athlete, and so I've not given it much thought beyond calories, and a nod to protein, which I always seem to come up low on. 70+ is a good protein day for me!

Any additional suggested reading on this?
  • heybales
    Options
    Well, the realistic level of protein too.

For some the 40/30/30 can be big overkill on protein, taking away from those carbs they could be having.

And protein can help satiety, but so can a meal/snack with good balance of fat and protein perhaps eating first, then carbs.
    For many, it's the straight carbs as snack that's a killer. Got son some raisins the other night to make our own snack mix, totally xnew they were nothing but sugar, but shocked at how fast they hit. About fell asleep actually eating dinner since we did that first!

Then again I can do an equal carb load of chips that has more fat in them - and no issue.

In a diet you are closer to athlete than other times. Meaning you have a fine line to toe for success or problems. And especially so since shorter and the margin for error is smaller.

I've read so many things threw the years, it really boils down to what works for you.
    Pre-workout meal could be as close to 30 min and be digested, or could be 4 hrs prior and still beneficial.
    Depends on the day.

But looking at one long workout, and seeing how the carb loading afterwards can effect the next day. Can be interesting.

Say that 60 min run was middle of aerobic level and 600 calories and 50% carb burn energy source.
    300 cal carbs, or 75 grams burned just from exercise. Some from liver as blood sugar supplied less and less as time went on and muscle glucose supplied more and more, especially after that 30 min mark. (unless you do a lot of low level aerobic training and body switches faster).
    Last meal was lunch 5 hrs prior, so liver already a bit drained, amount would be due to how active you were from lunch to run.

Next meal 500 cal, 40% carb, or 200 carb calories.
    Say 50 takes care of liver, 150 off to muscle stores, so another 150 to go. Insulin drops fast since all stored and back to normal fat burning mode.

Rest of evening and sleep drain liver of 200 cal carbs until breakfast.

Eat 300 cal, 40% carb again, or 120 carb calories. Off to liver, but not topped off. Muscles not topped off either.
    Lunch 300 and 40% again, another 120, liver stores used since breakfast, just now topped off say.

Run at 6 pm again, muscles still 150 shy from prior nights run. Liver drained a bit.

So that's how you can keep draining yourself. Throw some other snacks in there of about 500 cal, or 200 carbs say, and perhaps you got topped off.

And yes, I've actually done that math, because when you do a 3-4 hr bike ride, and have planned a 2 hr run the next day - I've got to know I've done enough, and usually just eating enough calories doesn't do it right.
    So while I've got big numbers to deal with, I've still got problem of small margin.
  • tigerblue
    Options
    That's a lot to digest (haha)!

Okay, so here is my quick takeaway plan, no numbers here, just basic thoughts. (Btw I really like numbers. Understanding the math behind this has been so helpful to me! I'm a math geek, I guess right after being a music geek.)

On run days I should be more conscious of carbs in breakfast and lunch, and then include a carb-heavier snack in early afternoon. That I can do.

Yesterday, I supplemented with an awesome donut mid morning! Lunch got a bit sidetracked, because someone produced banquet leftovers at the staff table. No one in memphis is going to pass on bbq! That would be wrong. Then for afternoon, a granola bar. I checked the nutritioun label for one higher in carbs (bear naked) instead of my favorite (kind--love all the nuts!).

Now that probably still left me a bit low numbers wise, but I think it was an improvement. I seemed to feel better at the end of my run. Sounds like the first step will be just being a little more intentional. That is do-able.

Right now I have my macro goals set for 25%p-30%f-45%c mostly because I was just trying to get my protein up. I come from the cholesterol controlling no fat eating 80's, so it has been hard to break away from the mindset that cheese and meat is actually better for you than crackers and jelly beans (remember T-factor diet?)! Baby steps. Also, I have not seen much of an effect of protein vs. carbs on my weight. Now the effect on fat vs muscle, who knows because that is much harder to measure. So basically I have just tried to make sure there is enough protein to preserve muscle. Trying to hit between 70 and 100. Most days I manage 70. Who knows, in 20 years maybe they'll tell us that is wrong too!

I will take a look at these carb numbers and timing more carefully and see where that takes me.
  • tigerblue
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm down another 0.8 from my last good weigh in day! (2 weeks ago--last week was too hormonal) This is my lowest weigh in day since Christmas! Bodyfat calipers on my waist site are down 0.1 too. I forgot to measure my waist before I had my breakfast and gallon of coffee, so I'm not going to bother with that! Also, I had three people this week ask me if I have lost weight! So the body is definitely showing the changes.

It is so nice to have my body respond correctly to a calculated deficit! (Currently eating about 1650 calories average per day--most days are between 1450-1550). And between the Vitamin D appetite change and being more active this spring, I am becoming one of those people I thought were crazy before--the ones who say "I'm not hungry and I have 500 calories left. What do I do?" I seriously have not felt like I am consistently satisfied with my calorie allowance like this in many, many months. This is a good feeling. Now, if I am a little lower one day, I know that I will be okay on another, less active day because I can eat some of those "saved" calories if I want. Before there were never any left!

I have also figured out that if I keep a 400 calorie deficit per my misfit, I will see about 1/2 lb loss per week. That should help me going into summer with activity changes.

@heybales--just so you know--if I look at my average intake plus 250 (what it takes to lose 1/2 lb per week), it puts my TDEE almost exactly where both your calculators put it (the one you tested a few weeks ago, and the one I downloaded about a year ago). Misfit gives me an average about 150-200 more than that. Now whether the error is from misfit, or from my logging, I'm not sure, but 200 is a reasonable margin of error that can be worked with for sure.
  • heybales
    Options
    Congrats.

Does it seem a tad fairer now, though being shorter?
  • tigerblue
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Absolutely! This must be what it feels like for everyone else, I guess! My appetite before must have been matched to someone twice my size!

I'll try not to go on too long! I can't express how totally different it is to have an appropriate appetite! For instance, I just finished a small lunch. I ate lunch not because I was ravenous and about to tear the wallpaper off the walls and start munching on it, but because I knew I needed to eat. Ideally I would have waited another hour, but I also know that if I push lunch too late ( or eat too much ) I will regret it when I run this afternoon. (Anything more in my tummy than a granola bar, and I am fighting to keep it down where it belongs. I won't even go into the details of my Saturday run a couple of weeks ago when I had Mexican with lots and lots of chips and salsa and a margarita for lunch. . . . Let's just say I DID make it through the run, but it wasn't pleasant!). Anyway, still feeling full before lunch, when I am eating the same breakfast I have for the past few years, is incredible! It makes those donuts in the break room unappealing. So I have no problem passing them by. So there is more room at the end of the day for dinner, or afternoon snack, or whatever.

And the psychological stress load that has been lifted--wow! The thing that was making me crazy was feeling like I was stuck in a place where I had to choose between feeling miserable and hungry for the rest of my life or gaining back my weight and being too heavy. Right now, I would like to continue to lose about 6 lbs (that would put me at 124-125 which is maintainable. Btw, your spreadsheet gives me an ideal weight goal of 101 lbs. That seems way low. That was my weight at age 19!). Or alternately, I want to continue to improve my fitness and body comp, but if nothing changes, I'm also okay. It was the thought that there was no way to prevent losing all the hard work I had done to lose my weight initially that was so distressing. And it is so much easier to be positive when you don't feel like you need to tear someone's (hubby was always handy) arm off and start munching! I can tell you that hubby is glad things have changed!

Mostly it is nice to just not feel deprived constantly.

I am thankful that I had a Doctor who was willing to listen and take me seriously and who had the knowledge to look for answers beyond what is first obvious.

I do know that part of this is the fact that I am able to be more active right now which increases my cal goals, and I know that I will always be watching and adjusting, but everything is so much easier! Hopefully I can make the transition to summer easily. I will have to make an effort to not become a couch potato outside of working out! Also there are so many schedule issues to deal with. And my older son just decided that in addition to all he does (swimming, symphonic band, jazz band, all honors/AP classes), he needs to play football too. So that totally messes with the schedule and transportation for both boys, not to mention requiring me to sit through long boring football games.

To touch on your advice regarding carbs and running and blood sugar drops--this week's crazy early day went much better. (Again my long run was the evening before--66 minutes total with warmup/cool down). I ate my regular breakfast (whole wheat-protein powder waffles) very early, and that prevented the unpleasant shakiness. Also, because my hunger is in control, I was fine up until the regular lunchtime, and it was a very active work morning, including equipment moving for me, too. And I've been finishing my runs strong. I'm just paying attention to carbs in meals on run days, and having a granola bar before the run. So good advice. Thx!
  • tigerblue
    Options
    And, once again I complete the cycle of lose 2-3 pounds over a couple of months, then while keeping a similar deficit and exercise routine, turn around and gain 3-5.

Even taking into account hormonal/sodium fluctuations, I am up 3-5 lbs since christmas, and 5-7 lbs since last year at this time. Looking back one month, assuming the hormonal fluctuations were similar one month ago, I am up 4 lbs.

Over the last year my records show that my intake ranged from 1350-1700 (total not net) with most numbers being 1450-1550. I am pretty consistent with exercising 5-6 days a week, although seasonally the type of exercise may change a bit (more strength in winter, more cardio in good weather, more time spent in summer, etc. but overall not a whole lot of variation).

The past 6 weeks I have eaten more consistently 1550-1650, since I increased cardio from 30-45 minute sessions to 45-60 minute sessions, and I wanted to compensate and not under eat for the increased activity. I'm still including 2-3 strength days with dumbells. I'm just about to need a set of 35 lb ones now. For some of the lower body. I still have plenty of room for upper body with the weights I have. Mostly I use the 10-15 lb range for those, and I struggle to finish the third set of 6 (or sometimes 8) with most of the upper body work using the 12s and 15's. So again, plenty of room for growth there with what I am doing.

It seems that when I consistently eat over 1550 I consistently slowly gain. That still totally doesn't make sense. Calculators predict I should be maintaining at least at 1750 with the above routine.

I am still glad to feel satisfied while eating at around 1500-1600, as I said above, but I am frustrated that it seems I will have to go below 1300-1400 to see any progress. 1400-1500 seems to be the line below which hunger strikes. And based on the way my body has been feeling, I don't see that I can add a whole lot more workout right now. I have found that I have to increase very slowly (when I started running five years ago it took me an extra six weeks, repeating several of the weeks on the program, to finish the c25k because I know my body and I could feel when I was overdoing it-this comes from watching for years for symptoms of a flare that go along with the mild lupus I have had for probably most of my adult life). So while I still have a goal of being able to run continuously for 60 minutes, I can see that I have to build more slowly. So I'm not going to be able to compensate for lower calorie goals with adding a whole lot more exercise. I was hoping to consistently do three strength days this summer, and then on the evenings of those days, add a bike ride, swim, or short run, but that may not work out. I can continue to walk on those days, though, so I will at least meet my step goal (8,000) on those days hopefully. If I don't include some sort of walk or run each day this summer, I will not meet my step goal. Earlier this week, even a trip to the grocery and light housekeeping/cooking didn't get me to 8000 steps. I am truly sedentary in the summer outside of workouts. I don't garden, I do the bare minimum housekeeping (get those kids to do their chores!), and the kids'activities involve only driving and sitting on bleachers for me.

My clothes are all too tight. Even the shirts/tops.

And the worst thing was looking at pictures taken this week while at my sister's. Compared to christmas pictures, there may be a tiny bit of tightening of the mid section (hard to tell because I'm not in the same clothes), but overall I looked really, really wide and thick. Very matronly (and even though I am "of a certain age" I prefer not to look like a middle aged fat lady). It was so disappointing. I thought I at least looked fit, even though I'd kind of given up on being small (it takes being under 115 for me to look small). We were in St. Louis touring all the Anheiser-Busch stuff (they give away all kinds of free beer!) with all the Germanic imagery. Let's just say my figure would have fit right into the pictures/statues, etc. of those full figured German gals! Probably because in all truth that is genetically where my inheritance is, and it seems you can't outrun your genes!

Anyway, I'm so frustrated, disappointed, and confused about exactly what to do next.

• tigerblue
    Options
    So tonight was another family event. We celebrated hubby's 48th birthday. Fun evening, good food. Good planning (small lunch and a good run) allowed me to enjoy easily and still meet my goals. I am still very thankful to feel satisfied while eating within goal.

More pictures. Thankfully these were not unflattering like the earlier ones. Perhaps I looked so heavy in the others because of what I was wearing.

Shorts are still tight, and of course nothing changes the numbers on the scale, but at least I didn't look like the "fat lady who sings" like yesterday!

So I'll give it a little more time. I'm still trying to find the balance in all this.
  • tigerblue
    Options
    Thought I was done with this thread, as I made good progress in May. But bam! Three weeks of summer and it is all gone, plus I'm up even a bit more.

So when summer vacation came, I upped my mileage gradually on my run days. I am up to 6 miles 3 times a week. I'm still slow, but I can do the 6 without walking now, except to sip water because I am not coordinated enough to drink and run at the same time. So 4 or 5 30 second drink walks in there. I feel good about my progress there.

I have been very dedicated to getting at least two lifting sessions a week. I am now keeping a log so I can make sure I am adding weight, instead of just going at it willy-nilly each day depending on how I feel. I have missed this week because of a mystery hand injury. Probably overuse because of non exercise activity a couple of weekends ago--I hauled drinks and ice bags (20 lbs) constantly for two days. Also ripping open the ice bags and drink boxes, etc. anyway, it is still sore and a bit swollen but rest seems to help. I did yoga today for a change.

For the first three weeks of summer I have logged these average intake totals: 1579, 1742, 1667. My avereage TDEE for those weeks was about 2000. (According to Misfit. Actually 1950 for the first one).

And I have gained 3 lbs.

I was willing to write it off because of sodium, water, and hormones, but it has stayed very consistently up for the past two weeks. And hormones should not be the reason right now. That is in two weeks, and I can't imagine what will happen if I am already up this much.

And the worst part is that the fit of my clothes confirms that this is not just water. My larger (not largest, but close) shorts are now tight. The only bright spot is that the increase feels like it is more in the top of my hips rather than the waist.

Trying to focus on the positives--the performance gains like runs getting easier and longer, lifting a bit more, and the fact that at 47 I can still actually still wear a bikini in public without scaring small children, but this is still very frustrating.