2015 Race Calendars - What are you guys doing this year?

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Glevinso...Beach to Battleship is on October 17th this year just in case you wanted to make sure its on your schedule correctly;) Also, not sure where you live but a lot of the hotels in the area are already booked...the ones downtown definitely are (I had to book back in December!)

Yea thanks I just noticed that myself. Either way it is an October race. Last year I rented a condo in Wrightsville Beach pretty cheaply and it was a 5 minute walk to T1. I was able to secure that condo only a few weeks ahead of the race.

I didn't race that day but about half of my tri club was racing (both half and full) so I was there as a race sherpa. After everyone was off on the buses from T1 to Swim Start I went back to the condo, made some coffee, etc then made my way into Wilmington by car. Post-race I picked everyone up and drove them back to the condo.
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Possibly starting school this year so I had to seriously scale it back....

[lots of races, including a half iron]

Very jealous of people's schedules;) Can't wait until I get out of school (again) and can make a full season of it!
    This is one of the few contexts in which a training/race schedule that includes a half iron distance triathlon could be described as dialing it back a bit. Triathletes are weird. (In a good way.)
  • glevinso
    Lol... next year I am thinking of "dialing it back" and only racing Half and Oly. I think I have had just about enough of this full-distance bullstink...

(I say that now...)
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    I'm bib 279 Challenge Knoxville HIM. 2 weeks to go!
  • glevinso
    #366 here. Which reminds me, I need to download that into excel and sort by age group so I can stalk my competiton :)
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    edited May 2015
    Good luck with the competition. I tried copying the file into excel and it's not sorting right. Not sure if its just because its a PDF? It's got a reputation for being a tough race, so my age group is small.
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Had to wait to get to europe to plan my season( thank god we didn't pay for the Rome Marathon cause we wouldn't have been able to do it!!!) done a few local 5ks
    Really focused on the 3 day Bastogne Memorial ride in June (Next year is in Normandy!!!) then Transition to tri-season
    Doing the Ironman European Championship 70.3 because it is in my new home town and it should be fun!!!! I may try to sneak in a 1/2 Marathon in the fall, looking for a european destination race....
    Now that my wife is into doing more distance races and we no longer have the family built in baby sitters, we are really having to take turn on races...
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Another B2B'er - just the aqua velo. I like that race (I've done the half), it's decent for family and friends to watch. and not get bored.

I'm just doing aqua velos this year, next year I'll master speed walking and do another IM (IMMD), my running days are done, but I'm not out.

So this year I've got (aqua velos for everything unless noted):
    Kinetic half next week - have I trained? negative!
    Air Force Bicycle Classic - sometime in June
    Grand Fondo in Deep Creek, MD - end of June
    Bike to the Beach end of July (100 miler fun thing)
    2.4 Swim for Life in MD
    Savageman
    B2B

hoping that after next weekend I'll feel a bit more inspired to get focused for B2B and Savageman. Without the run I feel like I've got it easy..haha. Savageman, I swear if they could have figured out how to make the swim up hill they would have.
  • CaeliGirl11
    CaeliGirl11 Posts: 108 Member
    edited May 2015
    glevinso wrote: »
    Yea thanks I just noticed that myself. Either way it is an October race. Last year I rented a condo in Wrightsville Beach pretty cheaply and it was a 5 minute walk to T1. I was able to secure that condo only a few weeks ahead of the race.

I didn't race that day but about half of my tri club was racing (both half and full) so I was there as a race sherpa. After everyone was off on the buses from T1 to Swim Start I went back to the condo, made some coffee, etc then made my way into Wilmington by car. Post-race I picked everyone up and drove them back to the condo.

That's awesome! Its just me and my husband and my cousin-in-law and her husband who are going (me and my cousin-in-law are the ones in the tri) so we opted for hotel. Perhaps if I could get more of my friends interested next year I can get a condo. Beach would be nice for the post-race crash though;)

And Tri_Bob it truly is funny how strange triathletes are...only three races...psha...and to think only a couple years ago I was doing nothing (oh, and spending nothing as well, haha!)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Trying to revise my schedule/fill in some things. Decided to push my first tri to a closer one that is a little later, in part because I'm still adjusting to my clipless pedals, and in part because my weekend schedule at work is currently up in the air and I had to decide yesterday when registration closed whether to register or not. So:

2015 Races
    3/14 - Get Lucky Half-Chicago (2:20 -- treated as a training run)
    5/2 - Wisconsin Half (2:04:56)
    5/23 - Soldier Field 10-miler (for fun)
    5/24 - Bike the Drive (fun bike ride, not a race)
    6/7 - Batavia Triathlon (sprint with extra short swim, not a plus, but oh, well)
    6/20 - Railsplitter Tri (Olympic length)
    7/19 - Racine Half Ironman (major race of the season)

I'd like to fill in a half marathon around the 4th of July (I'd like to break 2 hours), and am leaving what to do after the big race open for now.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    I have a really big 6 month gap in there so I probably will throw a sprint or two over the summer. Or maybe not. I'm looking forward to a big block of time to focus on training without a race interrupting my schedule. I really want to crush TriRock

2015 Races

01/25 - Miami Marathon (4:17:24 PR)
    02/22 - Gasparilla Distance Classic Half Marathon (1:57:07 PR)
    04/11 - Charlotte RaceFest Half Marathon (1:59:30)
    04/26 - St. Anthony's Triathlon (3:30:29 *yeah this was a bad race...)
    05/09 - Miles for Moffitt 8k
    05/17 - Ironman Chattanooga 70.3
    11/08 - TriRock Clearwater Olympic
    11/15 - Rocketman Triathlon 70.3
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Oh, last year for Rocketman! We went down 2 years ago (inaugural race), I was 7 months pg, so obviously didn't race, but it's a flat and fast course. I'd have liked to do it, but signed up for B2B and the schedule didn't work out.

• Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    I've never done it (and I'm huge space geek) so I jumped on it this year. I was signed up for Challenge Florida and am probably the only person happy it got rescheduled ;)
  • ShawnTX
    ShawnTX Posts: 50 Member
    So awesome seeing everybody's schedule. Now I don't feel like the only race addict on earth! Here's what my season looks like at the moment:

On the Schedule or Completed
    03/29 - Historic McKinney - Sprint Tri
    04/26 - IM 70.3 Galveston (Working on the race report)
    05/16 - Cooper Fitness - Sprint Tri
    06/07 - PlayTri Festival - ITU Tri
    06/28 - McKinney Salty Dog - Sprint Tri
    07/12 - The Mayor's Triathlon - Sptint Tri
    07/18 - Cooper Fitness - Sprint Tri
    07/26 - Toll Tag Triathlon - Sprint Tri
    08/02 - Rockwall Kiwanis - Sprint Tri
    08/23 - Take on the Heat - Sprint Tri
    09/06 - Old College Tri - Sprint Tri
    09/13 - Red River Rampage - Oly Tri
    09/27 - PlayTri Stonebridge Ranch - ITU Tri
    10/04 - Polar Club Cryosauna Tri - Sprint Tri
    10/18 - U.S. Open Triathlon - Sprint or Oly (Haven't decided on my distance choice yet)
    11/08 - Best of the Best Tri - Sprint Tri (If I qualify for this one and decide not to do Austin 70.3)
    12/13 - Dallas Marathon 26.2 (Will be my first full marathon)

Contemplating
    10/18 - 11/30 : Will likely throw in a half marathon somewhere between these dates.
    11/08 - IM 70.3 Austin : This race is not far from home and I'm really itching to do another IM event.

As you can see, my focus this year is on Sprint Tris. This is in conjunction with my training focus this year, which is to work on speed. Next year will likely switch to a long course focus and fewer races, but this year....LOAD 'EM UP!!

• ShawnTX
    ShawnTX Posts: 50 Member
    I see a number of you doing the "Challenge" family of races. They don't have any down here near where I am at, but I am interested in hearing more about them as potential destination races. If you have been in one of these races, was it a good experience? How does it compare to IM branded races?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    ShawnTX wrote: »
    I see a number of you doing the "Challenge" family of races. They don't have any down here near where I am at, but I am interested in hearing more about them as potential destination races. If you have been in one of these races, was it a good experience? How does it compare to IM branded races?

I have a Challenge race on my list. I haven't done one but a group from my tri club did one last year and I've heard nothing but praise (several have done IM brand races as well). I've never really heard anything negative and I've searched around.
    Glevinso and I had this discussion on another thread, I'm sure he'll chime in.
  • glevinso
    I may be a bit biased (My wife is a member of the Challenge Age Group Team), but I have been a fan of the former Rev3, now Challenge series for a while. Their events are very well run, they have excellent courses, great swag, and most importantly they are NOT as uptight as Ironman. For example, if you wish to have your kids run across the finish line with you, they ask only that you don't get in anybody's way. Otherwise have at it. At Ironman, doing something like that would earn you an immediate disqualification.

At Ironman races you feel much more like a cog in a machine. From the moment you arrive at the race site you are funneled here, ferried there, this happens, that happens... you race... then you finish, etc. Like you are just being processed through. Very impersonal. At Challenge races the vibe is much more relaxed and everyone is clearly there to have fun first and foremost.

Not to make that sound like a ding against Ironman - I have done a few M-dot branded races including Ironman Lake Tahoe, and enjoyed my experience doing them. However I chose to race all Challenge races this year and no IM just because I liked their experience better.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    glevinso wrote: »
    I may be a bit biased (My wife is a member of the Challenge Age Group Team), but I have been a fan of the former Rev3, now Challenge series for a while. Their events are very well run, they have excellent courses, great swag, and most importantly they are NOT as uptight as Ironman. For example, if you wish to have your kids run across the finish line with you, they ask only that you don't get in anybody's way. Otherwise have at it. At Ironman, doing something like that would earn you an immediate disqualification.

At Ironman races you feel much more like a cog in a machine. From the moment you arrive at the race site you are funneled here, ferried there, this happens, that happens... you race... then you finish, etc. Like you are just being processed through. Very impersonal. At Challenge races the vibe is much more relaxed and everyone is clearly there to have fun first and foremost.

Not to make that sound like a ding against Ironman - I have done a few M-dot branded races including Ironman Lake Tahoe, and enjoyed my experience doing them. However I chose to race all Challenge races this year and no IM just because I liked their experience better.

pretty much what i've heard. i'll let you kno though, as i'm doing my first challenge race in a few weeks.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I'll be interested to see the implications of Challenge eliminating pro purses has on their future. Hope they continue to grow and this is a minor set back.
  • glevinso
    edited May 2015
    I think that was a major mistake. A better course of action would have been to reduce the purses at the smaller races to 5000. They are still seen as a sortof "minor league" so why not embrace it? Offer a smaller purse and attract the B and C level pros. Knoxville still has the full 20k purse, and has a few A-listers coming (Alyssa Godesky, Cam Dye) as well as a bunch of B and C-level pros. It should be a great race to watch, and I am looking forward to racing along side the pros as well this weekend.

I know that one thing they tried to do is turn all their races into a big event with the 20k purses. Turns those races into automatic pro-qualifiers for the top 3 amateurs. Makes for an exciting amateur race with a deep field. Trouble is there was little in the way of pro commitment. It cuts both ways I guess, so I can't blame one side or the other.

In any case, I was disappointed that they didn't take the middle ground and offer a bunch of $5000 purses at the smaller races so that they can get the best of both worlds. Let the WTC have all the bigger pro names for now, and give the new pros something to work towards.

Edit to add: Also they could generate a pretty good buzz around their smaller purses by offering some kind of "series points" for the wins they get. Then aggregate those points towards a championship race (perhaps next year's Knoxville). Make it exciting. Give them a reason to want to race Challenge.