Primal egg coffee... holy cow!

Options

Replies

• gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    We do the broth thing usually when we're sick. We put chicken broth, many crushed garlic cloves and an egg. we just call it garlic soup, but it's the same idea, if you whisk the egss in at the right temperature the broth turns milky instead of chunky and it's love.

Except that I didn't know that's what was happening until now!! Most times it would be milky but every now and then it would be chunky and I didn't know why! Ha. this is great!
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Wow, the primal coffee may just make my breakfasts so much better... I used to just drink coffee for breakfast, and I've tried the BPC several ways and it didn't impress, but this sounds like it could be just up my alley.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I had every intention of trying this out this morning but chickened out. I only have a few tbsp of coconut oil left and didn't want to waste it if the raw egg puts me off. Can more people weigh in on their first experience? I won't be able to get coconut oil til the 24th and was planning on using butter in my coffee until then. I do have some unrefined oil but it leaves a mettalic taste in my mouth, might have to get over it.
    I upped my BPC to 2 tbsp coconut oil and hope that helps to keep me full til lunch.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I had every intention of trying this out this morning but chickened out. I only have a few tbsp of coconut oil left and didn't want to waste it if the raw egg puts me off. Can more people weigh in on their first experience? I won't be able to get coconut oil til the 24th and was planning on using butter in my coffee until then. I do have some unrefined oil but it leaves a mettalic taste in my mouth, might have to get over it.
    I upped my BPC to 2 tbsp coconut oil and hope that helps to keep me full til lunch.

It's probably not what you expect. I know most people expect it to be "eggy" or slimy from the egg whites, but it's not. If you've ever eaten batter or custard or cookie dough before, it's the same idea -- the egg gets mixed in and emulsifies the other ingredients. You're left with what basically amounts to coffee custard.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

You do NOT taste the egg. Much like in a custard, the egg just adds a richness to the drink. I've had it now in tea or cocoa (I cannot stand coffee), and I'm hooked. The biggest key is to make sure you add the salt. It makes all the difference!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    You're left with what basically amounts to coffee custard.

Coffee custard, now that sounds good.
  • katharineshalia
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yum. I tried it this morning with 1 tbsp coconut, 1 tbsp kerrygold butter and 1 raw egg. Tastes wonderful and yes I stayed full and focused all morning. Thank you. If I hadn't read this thread I would have never known what I was missing. Highly recommend.
  • katharineshalia
    Options
    * coconut oil (refined)
  • DissLocated
    DissLocated Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of primal coffee before but am so amused to read this! My great grandad always used to whisk an egg into his cup of tea in the morning, much to the horror of the family. He died over 40 years ago but his tea/egg has passed into family legend and people still tell each other in shocked tones "You know he used to whisk an egg into his tea??" Great Grandad is vindicated after all, can't wait to tell my Dad he was just ahead of the curve :smiley:
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Have full day working in yard tomorrow. Can't wait to try this in morning & see how far it lasts during day. Perfect idea adding the breakfast to your coffee. Multitasking at it's finest?
  • Jennym93
    Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I really want to try this but consuming raw egg makes me nervous.
    This might sound stupid but I don't know if our eggs are pasteurized, I think they come fresh from the farm so are they safe to use or should I just avoid it?
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Oh my. I tried this for breakfast and I'm hooked. This is breakfast from now on. <3
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    That does look yummy. I was thinking you were adding eggs to hot coffee and was the imaging the whites going solid in the hot water and how revolting that would be. My partner makes something similar but with cocoa.

Exactly what I was thinking, "Wouldn't the hot coffee cook the egg?" Well, I am still too chicken to try it, but I think I will try the egg yolk in my salad dressing next time I make it so I don't have to shake the mix every time.
    I will ask those of you who tried it, how does it compare to BPC made with cream? Same froth, oily feel, or not?

Here's a question for any egg yolk recipe - What do you do with the whites?

I just do whole eggs for the primal egg coffee, and for my mayo. In the past, when I've done stuff that requires only the yolks, I might whip the whites and make meringue cookies. I'm also the type that would probably find a way to boil or otherwise cook the whites if I had more on hand, because for whatever stupid reason, I love cooked egg whites (I seriously would not be opposed to just eating the whites of hard boiled eggs, if it weren't for the fact that all the good nutrients are in the yolk). If all else fails, I'd give them to my dogs or use them in a hair treatment (the biotin in the eggs is great for hair).

@Dragonwolf are the meringue cookies low carb/keto? If so, would you have a recipe you could share? I am looking for something to use up egg whites left over from mayonnaise making. Thanks!

• Dragonwolf
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    That does look yummy. I was thinking you were adding eggs to hot coffee and was the imaging the whites going solid in the hot water and how revolting that would be. My partner makes something similar but with cocoa.

Exactly what I was thinking, "Wouldn't the hot coffee cook the egg?" Well, I am still too chicken to try it, but I think I will try the egg yolk in my salad dressing next time I make it so I don't have to shake the mix every time.
    I will ask those of you who tried it, how does it compare to BPC made with cream? Same froth, oily feel, or not?

Here's a question for any egg yolk recipe - What do you do with the whites?

I just do whole eggs for the primal egg coffee, and for my mayo. In the past, when I've done stuff that requires only the yolks, I might whip the whites and make meringue cookies. I'm also the type that would probably find a way to boil or otherwise cook the whites if I had more on hand, because for whatever stupid reason, I love cooked egg whites (I seriously would not be opposed to just eating the whites of hard boiled eggs, if it weren't for the fact that all the good nutrients are in the yolk). If all else fails, I'd give them to my dogs or use them in a hair treatment (the biotin in the eggs is great for hair).

@Dragonwolf are the meringue cookies low carb/keto? If so, would you have a recipe you could share? I am looking for something to use up egg whites left over from mayonnaise making. Thanks!

I think they can be. The original recipe is just whites and sugar and maybe some vanilla. I don't have a specific recipe, so Google's your friend on that one.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Jennym93 wrote: »
    This might sound stupid but I don't know if our eggs are pasteurized, I think they come fresh from the farm so are they safe to use or should I just avoid it?

Pasreurization happens above 160F for eggs, so even if they're not pasteurized, the act of putting them in the hot drink is usually enough, since tea and coffee are brewed closer to 200F.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Just finished first BPC with 2 eggs. Wow! Like the extra froth and couldn't even tell the eggs were there. Wouldn't all fit in magic bullet, tho, so had to mix it in 2 batches,lol.
  • Jennym93
    Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Jennym93 wrote: »

Pasreurization happens above 160F for eggs, so even if they're not pasteurized, the act of putting them in the hot drink is usually enough, since tea and coffee are brewed closer to 200F.

Thank you! I may have to try this tomorrow now :)
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    OK I tried the Egg Coffee original recipe: coffee, 3 egg yolks, 1 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt mixed in the blender. It was just OK. Don't think I will do it again. Can I still hang out with you guys though? ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    OK I tried the Egg Coffee original recipe: coffee, 3 egg yolks, 1 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt mixed in the blender. It was just OK. Don't think I will do it again. Can I still hang out with you guys though? ;)

Absolutely! Just to let you in on my secret, though...

I do the best of both worlds - I make mine Bullet Proof (coconut oil and heavy cream) AND Primal (egg, salt, and sweetener, though I don't use sugar - but probably could if the flavor were similar - about the same carb hit)... And you have to make your base - whether coffee or tea - double strength at a minimum...

OMG - I knew there was a way to make it rich and creamy and flavorful and frothy and YUM! :)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,053 Member
    Options
    Well, after shaking my jar at work everyday last week and being underwhelmed at the results, I bought a cheap immersion blender to keep at work....so I'm all set. There's no stopping me now.....coconut oil in my drawer and butter in the work fridge, eggs are next.