New members - tell us about yourself

Options

Replies

• judy11351
    judy11351 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Judy and I'm 64. I have been a yo yo dieter my whole life. Looking forward to meeting all of you.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    hi..I'm ruth and will be hitting the big "6-0" in July... not sure what that means as I certainly don't feel it and would like to think I don't look it, either. Decided 2 years ago to make a change in my life and for the first time in my life E-V-E-R, I am at an acceptable weight. I spent my entire life (as far back as I can remember, that is) overweight. I remember weighing 60 pounds in first grade- 99 pounds in fourth grade. Amazing how those numbers stick with you! Anyway... hit an all time high of 270 lbs at age 50.... in the 140 range as I near age 60 and I am content with that. There are actually some advantages to being fat all your life and then deciding to lose weight later in life. I don't dwell on what I looked like in my 20s and wishing I was back there again. I have no idea how difficult losing weight after menopause was compared to before menopause because I never did it back then. The only thing I worry about these days is that when I celebrate my 80th birthday, I look as good as I did on my 60th!!!
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Welcome, everyone! I am so happy to see this group grow!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Yes, welcome everyone! So happy to see you here. We all have our own peccadilloes to overcome and together we can do it.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,069 Member
    Options
    Hello from Ottawa, Canada. My name is Wayne but my nieces & nephews always call me UncleMac. I am 51 years old, 5'11" and currently 258lbs, down from a peak of 283lbs. I'm a mesomorph so I'm never going to be svelte. Still, I would like to get back down to the 200lb range.

I was married to a woman with a personality disorder (narcissistic comorbid borderline) but after 20 years of trying, I concluded I've successfully proven it is not possible to love someone else healthy. By putting her needs ahead of my own (a very unhealthy habit) I slowly accumulated extra weight. I accept it was my choices that put me where I was and now it's my choices that will bring me to where I wish to be. :smile:

When I decided to tackle the issue, I saw a dietician who asked for me to log my food & exercise. He provided a paper diary and suggested if I preferred online, MFP was one of the options available.

Thanks for the invite, Jen.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Happy to have you! I think you are an excellent asset, smart with a good sense of humor.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Hi Wayne, welcome to the group. Nice to have more big guys in the group! Looking forward to getting to know you.
  • thisnursewillbehot
    thisnursewillbehot Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the invite! I have been very unsuccessful doing this by myself, and I am looking for any support I can get right now. I did MFP several years ago, but life has changes so much since then...
    In the last couple years I have begun working full time as an RN, had one son leave for the Air Force, had a daughter leave for college, moved, and just changed jobs in the last 2 months. I have another son (with learning delays) who is in high school. My husband is very heavy and is going through steps towards gastric bypass surgery right now. This puts us in very different places as far as diet right now... eventually he will be very restricted, so I believe he (unconsciously?) feels he is going to eat what he can right now. He wants to eat out a lot, and that is my biggest downfall- I'd just as soon avoid the temptation.
    I have pretty bad arthritis, and I know that losing weight and eating better will have positive benefits. I also deal with migraines that control my life, and controlling my diet helps quite a bit.
    Ok. Enough rambling. Time to plan my menu for tomorrow.
    Thanks again for letting me hang with the cool kids!
    ~kim
  • dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi, I'm Beth, 56 years young (lol) and I live in New England. I have been on MFP since mid-January. So far I am loving the accountability of posting my food intake everyday. My staring weight was 210, my goal weight is 145, and my current weight is 176.2. I have been in a weight loss stall for 3 weeks. I'm not in a panic over this as I will not give up. I have tried many, many times to lose the weight but this time is different. I have a different mind set which I am trying to cement in my mind. I look forward to meeting you all and giving support and encouragement where needed.

Beth
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    welcome, all. This group is just attracting all the best people!
  • BRaye325
    Options
    Welcome Kim & Beth! Thanks for sharing with us, we look forward to getting to know you better. Please join in the other discussions or start one of your own.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Welcome Kim and Beth! We each have our own issues and this is a good place to work thru them with support. I started around 215 and now hover under 135. Took work and patience, but I am loving it.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Great to have so many new members.. I love the hanging out with the cool kids. Made me smile
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! So great to see this group grow. Over 50's is such a nice place to hang out.
    Yes we're all awesome
  • Frostygirl2790
    Frostygirl2790 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Lisa and I have struggled most of my life with my weight. This is the fourth and final journey for me. My highest weight on scale was 278. I wore a size 26/28 and they were getting tight. I wondered where people would buy there clothes from after that size. My wake up call was when I was looking through pictures of my daughters 3rd birthday party and I asked my father who that huge person was in the photo, it was a picture from the back, and I looked at my dad with a tear in his eye, and he said, honey that's you.
    I cried so much, I was pre-diabetic and my mom died from diabetes and heart failure and I wanted to see my little girl grow up.
    At the start of my journey I fell and shatterd my ankle and doctor said because of my weight he was not sure I would walk again. Surgery and later and a hollow plate in my leg, I was walking.
    I went from 278 down to 175.
    But you guessed it,back it came slowly but surely.
    I have lost and gained, lost and gained, and once I saw the scale hit 235. Something clicked, I said. No more.
    So since March down 20 pounds and now making it a lifestyle change for me.
    I know this journey cannot be done alone so I'm looking for support and also to give it.
    My first mini goal is to be under 200 by the time I turn Omg 50, phew I said it, lol in September. Final goal is to be at 160. And stay there. Hoping to make friends on this journey that have one thing in common, a healthier lifestyle.
    Thanks for listening and let me share my story.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Lisa, Welcome! If you are looking for a lifestyle change, you have come to the right place. It isn't easy, but it can be done. This is a good, supportive group. Feel free to jump into discussions or post a topic yourself. Personally, I went from size 24 to about a 4-6 and have stayed this size for 3 years now. I will never leave this site b/c I can't be trusted on my own, lol.
  • BRaye325
    Options
    Hi Lisa, thanks for your intro. You are in a safe place with our group. We have a great mixture from those just beginning, some still in the losing process like myself, and some like Jen who have years of experience to share. We look forward to your input.
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    Lisa, Welcome! If you are looking for a lifestyle change, you have come to the right place. It isn't easy, but it can be done. This is a good, supportive group. Feel free to jump into discussions or post a topic yourself. Personally, I went from size 24 to about a 4-6 and have stayed this size for 3 years now. I will never leave this site b/c I can't be trusted on my own, lol.

Welcome Lisa,
    I cant be let out of MFP Land on my own either :)
    This is not a place for me to lose XX pounds and then move on. It's for life...literally

• JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Lisa, welcome to the group.
  • dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Welcome Lisa. I'm new also.