Let's discuss it all. Welcome home.

Options

Replies

• dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    BOGO close out sale (not sure why the close out) at local market so I decided to try some Dreyer's (Edy's) Slow Churned instead of picking up some Tillamook. Not sure when I'll get a taste.

705hmvsh07hp.jpg

Purchased these Sunday morning; it's now Tuesday morning and the S'mores flavor is gone, and the Red Velvet almost gone. I guess I'll call that a success on flavors, at least for my kids.

I had about one serving of the S'mores -- good, but didn't blow me away. If anything a bit too marshmallow-y / sweet for me but a clear winner amongst the kids. I've had a little less than one serving of the Red Velvet; fine but again not blown away. Nice initial flavor of cake, but that seemed to fade into something quite a bit less flavorful by the fourth little bite or so. All in all I'd say the slow churned items are OK for a lower calorie treat now and again (but the serving sizes in grams make the calorie counts similar to similar gram-based sized servings of gelatos); I think I'll more often stick to full ice creams and gelatos but will keep an eye out for other interesting flavors.

These are two of my favorite foods/flavors. Have you ever had the Ben & Jerry's red velvet? I really, really liked that one. The red velvet flavor was quite...red velvety. I tend to feel like red velvet flavored stuff just tastes like pink colored chocolate. I can't recall if the B&J had red velvet cake bits or not... I feel like it did.

But . . . that's what it is. :laugh:

At least, most modern recipes that don't call for real beet juice are just cocoa and red food coloring.

That is pretty true. The (best) red velvet cakes I've ever eaten are more complex than just chocolate... Obviously there's a little vanilla extract in there and every now and then there's a cake with some sort of citrus zest or juice. When I have red velvet flavor I expect chocolate, but not over powering, slap-you-in-your-face chocolate.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    BOGO close out sale (not sure why the close out) at local market so I decided to try some Dreyer's (Edy's) Slow Churned instead of picking up some Tillamook. Not sure when I'll get a taste.

705hmvsh07hp.jpg

Purchased these Sunday morning; it's now Tuesday morning and the S'mores flavor is gone, and the Red Velvet almost gone. I guess I'll call that a success on flavors, at least for my kids.

I had about one serving of the S'mores -- good, but didn't blow me away. If anything a bit too marshmallow-y / sweet for me but a clear winner amongst the kids. I've had a little less than one serving of the Red Velvet; fine but again not blown away. Nice initial flavor of cake, but that seemed to fade into something quite a bit less flavorful by the fourth little bite or so. All in all I'd say the slow churned items are OK for a lower calorie treat now and again (but the serving sizes in grams make the calorie counts similar to similar gram-based sized servings of gelatos); I think I'll more often stick to full ice creams and gelatos but will keep an eye out for other interesting flavors.

These are two of my favorite foods/flavors. Have you ever had the Ben & Jerry's red velvet? I really, really liked that one. The red velvet flavor was quite...red velvety. I tend to feel like red velvet flavored stuff just tastes like pink colored chocolate. I can't recall if the B&J had red velvet cake bits or not... I feel like it did.

That was my first red velvet ice cream. And honestly, I never really got into the red velvet cake thing -- but I thought it would be interesting to try.

I really wanted to try the Drumstick flavored one, but one of my kids has a peanut allergy, and while not absolute sticklers about having some in the house, it didn't seem like a good idea (especially since I'd have to listen endlessly about how it wasn't fair that her brother and sister had access to an ice cream she didn't).

I think I am about due to get some more Samoa's flavor ice cream from Breyers.

I can't imagine being allergic to peanuts :frowning:

Haven't had the Samoa's flavor yet. I keep forgetting to get it. Samoa's are my flavorite.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I tried Edys snickerdoodle frozen custard today and really enjoyed it's creamy, cinnamon goodness. I think I'll pick up another flavor once it's gone.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

705hmvsh07hp.jpg

That was my first red velvet ice cream. And honestly, I never really got into the red velvet cake thing -- but I thought it would be interesting to try.

I really wanted to try the Drumstick flavored one, but one of my kids has a peanut allergy, and while not absolute sticklers about having some in the house, it didn't seem like a good idea (especially since I'd have to listen endlessly about how it wasn't fair that her brother and sister had access to an ice cream she didn't).

Haven't had the Samoa's flavor yet. I keep forgetting to get it. Samoa's are my flavorite.

Do you drink coffee? Have you tried the CoffeeMate Samoas flavor? It tastes exactly like Samoas...
    (ETA - the girl scout cookie, not people of Samoan descent)

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

705hmvsh07hp.jpg

At least, most modern recipes that don't call for real beet juice are just cocoa and red food coloring.

That is pretty true. The (best) red velvet cakes I've ever eaten are more complex than just chocolate... Obviously there's a little vanilla extract in there and every now and then there's a cake with some sort of citrus zest or juice. When I have red velvet flavor I expect chocolate, but not over powering, slap-you-in-your-face chocolate.

Yeah it should be really subtle chocolate. I didn't even realize it was chocolate until I started making cakes. But I've never been a huge red velvet person. Mine have vanilla and a touch of lemon zest.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

705hmvsh07hp.jpg

Yeah it should be really subtle chocolate. I didn't even realize it was chocolate until I started making cakes. But I've never been a huge red velvet person. Mine have vanilla and a touch of lemon zest.

Red Velvet cake to me is just a vehicle to get cream cheese icing into my mouth. In ice cream, it loses it's purpose.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

705hmvsh07hp.jpg

Do you drink coffee? Have you tried the CoffeeMate Samoas flavor? It tastes exactly like Samoas...

:laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

705hmvsh07hp.jpg

Red Velvet cake to me is just a vehicle to get cream cheese icing into my mouth. In ice cream, it loses it's purpose.

That's what carrot cake is for ;)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options

705hmvsh07hp.jpg

You both would cry if you saw what I tossed in the trash the other day....homemade CC icing....It was in the freezer for the appropriate length of time without a cupcake in site to ice. So it had to go.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

705hmvsh07hp.jpg

You both would cry if you saw what I tossed in the trash the other day....homemade CC icing....It was in the freezer for the appropriate length of time without a cupcake in site to ice. So it had to go.

I do hate to see good homemade food go to waste but there's been so much cake/icing in my house lately thanks to all these practice runs that I probably wouldn't have been too broken up. :laugh:

I have 2 nights of gelato before the next round of cakes/cupcakes, so hopefully I'll be in the mood for that stuff again by then.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Haven't had anything new or really post worthy lately. I'll have to fix that.
    I tried Edys snickerdoodle frozen custard today and really enjoyed it's creamy, cinnamon goodness. I think I'll pick up another flavor once it's gone.

This sounds very appealing to me. I love snickerdoodle. Anything cinnamon cookie-esque is awesome in my book.

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

705hmvsh07hp.jpg

:laugh:

Haha! It would be hilarious if they actually posted that on the bottle.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options

705hmvsh07hp.jpg

The only vehicle I need for cream cheese icing is a spoon.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Polished off the caramel apple pie talenti last night...still have one serving of the fudge brownie left.

*need to go to store to restock*
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Polished off the caramel apple pie talenti last night...still have one serving of the fudge brownie left.

*need to go to store to restock*

Feel free to come raid mine. I think I still have around 15 flavors.

And Publix was having buy one get one on B&J so I got a couple of pints of Phish Food.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options

705hmvsh07hp.jpg

I do hate to see good homemade food go to waste but there's been so much cake/icing in my house lately thanks to all these practice runs that I probably wouldn't have been too broken up. :laugh:

I have 2 nights of gelato before the next round of cakes/cupcakes, so hopefully I'll be in the mood for that stuff again by then.

The only time I get broke up about icing is if I make a batch of Swiss Meringue & it fails on me....and have to remake it. Its not that its a ton of wasted product (it is), its cuz it just makes me so blasted mad at myself (for making a rookie mistake).

I luv lemon gelato. Its soooo silky smooth feels like heaven on my tongue.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Haha! Love the one about saying have some of mine.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Haha! Love the one about saying have some of mine.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    We are kicking off a 2 week camping vacation through Colorado, Wyoming, and South Dakota. Will definitely post if we find any great sweet or savory delights!