Hello May!

Options
1235»

Replies

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    I plunked down on the bench at the lake with my coffee in hand and pulled out my phone to set the runkeeper app, and on a whim asked SIRI "how do I lose weight at 53 years old?".... this is what he told me LOLOL!! (and yes I have my SIRI set to a "he" voice !!

http://creativebioscience.com/blog/best-weight-loss-plan-for-a-decreasing-metabolism/

OWR... thanks for sharing that.... good to know i'm not alone in the frustration world... I regained 18 lbs on "maintenance"... and really want to lose it because I felt great at my GW.. and I can completely relate to the logging lol.. but you're doing it so kudos to you!!!
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I like that read Snoozie. I keep reading that strength training is very important to weight loss. I will have to find someplace/somehow to incorporate it into my day. Maybe that will help jump start my weight loss again!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration too, Snoozie. I think it's difficult at this age because we're fighting against what would be a natural weight gain. And I'm sure your work hours don't help. I regained some a while back too - managed to lose it, but now kind of stuck in the overweight range - I wouldn't mind as I'm happy enough at this weight, but it just FEELS so much like I'm still dieting. Even though I know maintenance is constant dieting, it's kind of hard to accept.

I don't know about strength training helping weight loss, but I think it's a good thing to do anyway. I've been doing it all along and do feel some benefits from it. But it does make me hungry!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    thanks everybody... appreciate the commiseration and tips! I just thought it was hysterical that siri could come up with a relatively sane response to my question LOL!! Made a trip to the nursery and back with a trunk full of flowers then dug up a garden and planted baskets, boxes and veggies; I felt every back bend and shoulder ache from the weed pulling; but most pain was from having my 86 yr old friend run circles around me even with her walker LOL.. i'm sensing a date with a tub full of Epsom salts tonite!! and a shout out to all you gardeners - theres gotta be a whole lotta calorie burn going on with you guys who di it all the time!! :*
  • OldWomanRuns
    OldWomanRuns Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    A lot of good advice - things we have heard before, just don't want to do all of them. My favorite line in the piece is:
    As much as possible, avoid overeating. Ya think??? ;) Oh well - like we keep saying, everyday on this side of the dirt is a good day!
    Move it and groove it and don't overeat it!!! :D
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    [quote="OldWomanRuns;
    Move it and groove it and don't overeat it!!! :D [/quote]

My mantra for the coming month, thanks, OWR

Snoozie, I am right there with you, but I know my problem is not logging and eating for two...or three, sometimes.
    I have been great with exercise, but food is my addiction..
    With time and patience, we will get there!

I want to put in a bit more strength training , too, Vailara, because it is a good thing for us, so we can get around in the old folks home better... just kidding... but we really are doing a good thing for ourselves, so many people our ages, never try ...they just accept it and really do end up in a home because they can't take care of themselves.....

So every day we don't succeed ,at least we keep on giving it a go.
    I hope you all have an awesome weekend.
    G
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Oh my goodness , ROFL Snoozie. Not only is Siri having a response amusing, but the fact that you even thought to ask SIRI for advice is too funny!!!

Unfortunately , I've been down this week with a stomach bug, but I'm on the mend now thank goodness . I missed out on our last few cooler temp mornings for walking the doggies , but will work out a plan starting Monday when I think I should be well and strong enough to get back into the swing of exercising again.
    I also have been trying to stress less and obsess less about my health plan. This doesn't mean I want to abandon it, but rather live a healthy lifestyle with acceptance and joy, feeling confidence that I sincerely CHOOSE to be healthy and to do the things that will make me the healthiest.
    Wishing my fellow hatters a happy and successful weekend :)<3
  • Snooozie
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Susan - glad to hear you're finally on the mend; know it sucked with that tummy bug! sorry you missed out on your morning walkies... hoping the temps stay cool for you for a while longer! Ya I was larfing too - dunno what possessed me to ask Siri such a question - but he came thru!

LOVE your stress less decision; and more focus on just living healthy! Tomorrow is MY Monday (back to work) so I'm simply going to focus on eating well... and WHEN i'm actually hungry.. have prepped some healthy stuf to be avail and got a few supplies in to get me thru the first day or two, so will see how I feel with changing my focus somewhat; weirdly I HAVE been noticing lately... that by the time I've finished a meal (whatever it is, tonight was just a cold chicken leg, 2 tomato slices, a little potato salad and a small roll (on a bread and butter sized plate I might add) I was stuffed.. which is kinda weird because I've chowed down on way more before...ummm.. many times lol. but I may try the smaller amounts, more often method with my food this week... i'm thinking that some of my portion sizes are nothing more than habit, and that I've stopped eating to just satisfy my hunger... rambling thoughts lol.... hope everyone has a great weekend!!

Gail - I would love to start some strength training too... but honest to god I have no idea where to start.. I've had personal trainers before but can't afford em now, and honestly so many of them don't seem to understand starting at this age needs a few adjustments to their "standard" do this instructions.. I suppose I could invest some time on the puter searching for strength training for .... ahem... women of a certain age!

OWR... lmao @ "ya think?" yaaaaaaa I was howling too... like DUH...

Patrice - I KNOW you had a lot on your plate and were trying all kinds of new and awesome hobbies and activities.. so impressed with you trying your hand at something new - that's an aspect I keep forgetting about how important it is to try new things; altho I seem to be excelling at implementing the "relaxing and restorative activity" that's suggested to be good for us LOL.....

mILOVE: SUPERB job on the steps (and on the bike gail btw!!)
  • Snooozie
    edited May 2015
    Options
    and to send us all into the weekend with a great reminder..... I present...

Healthy Aging - 10 steps to stay young!

1. Throw out nonessential numbers. This includes age, weight and height. Let the doctors worry about them -- that is why you pay them.
    2. Keep only cheerful friends. The grouches pull you down.
    3. Keep learning. Learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening, whatever. Never let the brain idle. "An idle mind is the devil's workshop." And the devil's name is Alzheimer's.
    4. Enjoy the simple things.
    5. Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath.
    6. The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person, who is with us our entire life, is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive.
    7. Surround yourself with what you love, whether it's family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is your refuge.
    8. Cherish your health: If it is good, preserve it. If it is unstable, improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.
    9. Don't take guilt trips. Take a trip to the mall, even to the next county. Travel to a foreign country, but NOT to where the guilt is.
    10. Tell the people you love that you love them, at every opportunity.

And Always Remember...
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

And if you don't send this to at least 8 people, who cares? LOL
    :p:p

• seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Love the ten steps- thanks Snooozie!!!
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    All good readings, love the strength training blog was doing it but I had becaome a little nervous with my age. I just recently got results of my blood work, cholesterol itself is ok but my hdl is a little low and ldl is a high which is not good. My a1c is 5.5 which is within normal but have crept up. So I am decreasing sugars and meats in moderation.

I also love the ten steps Snoozie I have to post that on my wall and read it daily.

Yes, I am still pushing to log daily fell short but much better than before, keeping the exercising going but also in moderation. I hope you are feeling better Susan.