Feel great, so when will it hit me?

Options
KDRockstar
KDRockstar Posts: 44 Member
Hi, all... thanks for the great links and information about being LC. I'm starting my third day, and I feel great. No cravings. I've been under 30 g. of carbs each day.

But, I'm waiting for this dreaded "carb flu." I was well over 250 g. of carbs before... loved me some pasta followed by ice cream. Could I still be hanging on to those carbs from before? Or, could I be one of the lucky ones?

Also, how long before you noticed weight loss? I am doing this for health reasons, but some weight loss would be an *awesome* benefit.

Thanks, everyone!

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I didn't get carb flu. I felt so dreadful every day before starting LC that if I did have carb flu, I didn't notice it. After 3 days I felt great.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I didn't get the carb flu until almost 3 weeks in. In the middle of it right now :(
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I never got it.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Had a touch of it at about three weeks in.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I had it for 2 weeks, but my mom and my daughter didn't get it at all. Maybe you are one of the lucky ones
  • me_ona_diet
    me_ona_diet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I didn't get it at all when I started, but I had a day of it after I slipped out of ketosis for a weekend (wedding) and went back in - this was after about 2 months.
  • KDRockstar
    KDRockstar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I will hope that I will be one of the lucky ones. So far, I have so much more energy than normal, and I have no desire to binge. No hunger pains. This is so strange for me.

When did y'all notice weight loss? I *do* feel like I am peeing like I'm nine months pregnant!
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's part of the "flu" but about two weeks in I slept every single chance I had. Wherever and whenever. FitBit shows I was getting about 11 hours through out the day.

I noticed wight coming off at about three weeks.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I had a flue around 2nd week in for a good 5 days or so, I thought I was going to die! I read about the symptoms and felt better knowing I'm going to survive lol
    Headaches, hart palpitations, lightheaded, sleepy and overall really out of place.

After it passed i felt like a brand new person :)
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to get the flu at all. If you've been reading all the resources here chances are you know to eat more fat and up your electrolytes while you transition to this WOE. You may pass into fat adaptation relatively unscathed. I hope you do! But it's okay if you don't, never give up!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    KDRockstar wrote: »

When did y'all notice weight loss? I *do* feel like I am peeing like I'm nine months pregnant!

If I remember my biochem correctly (but no guarantee, it's been a long time since I cracked that text) ketosis burns fat, leaving a byproduct of water. The extra peeing is just a sign of the fat leaving your system! You need to ensure plenty of fluid intake to help keep the fat burning going, and to make sure your kidneys keep flushing the extra ketones well, and that contributes to peeing a lot too!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Never had any negative side effects and going 3.5 weeks now. I did reduce my carbs somewhat slowly though. From high 150g+ to now about 20g., partially because I wasn't careful about reading labels and it took me some trial and error (with help from this group) to learn to make better choices as I substitute foods in and out of my program. Started shooting for 50 grams, now I'm at 20g of carbs just by adding more fat, keeping protein the same. I added bacon instead of tomatoes and peppers, little tweaks to my meals. One thing that made a big difference was swapping out "Low-fat" items, as I noticed how much sugar and extra carbs were added. I also added much more salt and water. A friend of mine went "cold turkey" without adding salt and didn't feel so great. I've been steadily dropping lbs. each week.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Good for you @slimzandra!!
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 and am wondering if as my body starts to burn fat....does my body temp go up? Maybe it's just me, but I feel hot lately....like a little fat burning furnace! Is that crazy or is there any link?! B)
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    @cottagegirl71, that was my "flu". I felt like I was running a fever for quite few days. It will even out, but yes you are becoming a fat burning machine! Don't forget to measure yourself too. Inches lost add up faster than weight loss sometimes!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 and am wondering if as my body starts to burn fat....does my body temp go up? Maybe it's just me, but I feel hot lately....like a little fat burning furnace! Is that crazy or is there any link?! B)

Try coconut oil and see what happens. >:)

Yes, people's body temps seem to go up. My hands are actually warm most of the time and my feet no longer resemble blocks of ice all day long.
  • cottagegirl71
    Options
    @Twibbly - will that make me crazy?! :) I actually bought 1000mg coconut oil capsules but now feel silly for spending the money (will use them up anyway) and think I will make the leap to buying some to cook with this weekend. My husband doesn't like the taste of coconut AT ALL so that has made me reluctant, plus I am a die-hard black coffee drinker so no BPC for me!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    @Twibbly - will that make me crazy?! :) I actually bought 1000mg coconut oil capsules but now feel silly for spending the money (will use them up anyway) and think I will make the leap to buying some to cook with this weekend. My husband doesn't like the taste of coconut AT ALL so that has made me reluctant, plus I am a die-hard black coffee drinker so no BPC for me!

Nah, but for a lot of people, it hits hard. They suddenly have more energy and are nice and warm. Don't try it within a few hours of bedtime until you know how it hits you.
  • cottagegirl71
    Options
    thanks for the tip....TMI but my sweetie is loving my new WOE because now I have to sleep naked! :p
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

You're probably buying the wrong coconut oil. There is refined and unrefined. The refined has no coconut taste at all. The organic virgin pressed coconut oil tastes like a coconut. You can go to Kroger or Walmart or almost any grocery store and buy the refined coconut oil. Its cheaper than the organic. The brand most people use is: Louana. It comes in 32 oz:

urqfogeu2cyq.png

There is another brand called Carrington Farms. CF has both refined and unrefined. They have a higher MCT (google that) than Louana's brand, but it costs more. Here in Michigan, Louanas costs about $7.50.

You can cook anything with the unrefined oil. It has a high smoke temp. It also makes great fat bombs (see links below my signature).

The problems with the taste of oils is the same for Olive oil & Cocoa butter. Both of these oils have heavy and light taste properties depending upon if you get refined or unrefined.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Putting Chocolate Back Together Recipe
    Almond Joy Wanna Be's (fat bomb recipe)
    Raspberry Fat Bombs
    Chocolate Covered Strawberry Fat Bombs
    Cocoa Butter @ www.bulkapothecary.com