what vitamins and supplements should I be taking?

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Sk8Kate wrote: »
    Do we only get charley horses in Canada? I have hard time with calcium as most is derived from oysters (shellfish allergy) & I'll look for the magnesium citrate. Thanks

Lol. My auntie who lives in the USA had never heard of the term Charley horse ;)

I was born in Kansas, raised in Texas, and live in Oklahoma, USA now, and every single person I've ever spoken to knew EXACTLY what I meant when I said charley horse!!!! So either I'm more non-US than I think or something. LOL
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Lol, I'm from UK so.......still want to know what it means. :p:)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    jumanajane wrote: »
    Lol, I'm from UK so.......still want to know what it means. :p:)
    saraphim41 wrote: »
    jumanajane wrote: »
    Whats 'charley Horses'??? :)
    A "charley horse" is a cramp in the leg or foot. Can be very painful.

• jumanajane
    Options
    Thanks! Wonder why it's called Charley horse. Lol. Google here I come.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    Sokath, his eyes uncovered.

Darmok and Jalad on the ocean. :wink:

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Do we only get charley horses in Canada? I have hard time with calcium as most is derived from oysters (shellfish allergy) & I'll look for the magnesium citrate. Thanks

Lol. My auntie who lives in the USA had never heard of the term Charley horse ;)

I'm from the U.S. and charley horse is the term I grew up with and still use.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »

Temba, his arms wide.
    ::flowerforyou::
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Temba, his arms wide.

Lol we're such nerds.

I rarely have friends get that reference.

I actually didn't realize until I read this thread that the... ahem, digestive problems I was having was related to the mag citrate. I've even taken it before! I should have known better. Well, eyes are opened now. Lol.
  • Journey_258_thru
    Journey_258_thru Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I'm from the U.S. and charley horse is the term I grew up with and still use.

Charlie Horse is also the term here in Western Canada, and speaking of them, following my night shift I had Charlie horses' twice this morning in my left calf as I was stretching/yawning in bed around 3pm. It really sucked: I took magnesium when I got up, and have been trying to eat an assortment of foods throughout the day to prevent same from happening again. Good luck taming your Charlie Horses!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Temba, his arms wide.

Lol we're such nerds.

I rarely have friends get that reference.

I actually didn't realize until I read this thread that the... ahem, digestive problems I was having was related to the mag citrate. I've even taken it before! I should have known better. Well, eyes are opened now. Lol.

I'm a total Trek nerd too, but I don't have access to as many reruns anymore, so my logic memory starts to fade after some point...but y'all are making me laugh...just for the record.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    For all who are curious about the origin of "charley-horse:" http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/charley-horse.html
  • jumanajane
    Options
    Thanks Ellen.
  • me_ona_diet
    me_ona_diet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    annalisbeth74 and KnitOrMiss, on MyFitnessPal ;)

One of my favourite Trek episodes :) My husband and I quote it all the time :)
  • KDRockstar
    KDRockstar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have started taking magnesium as a spray in oil - it's great because if you forget to take the magnesium as a pill you can just spray on before going to bed. Works a treat!

I take magnesium and potassium as a supplement. Very occasionally I take a multivitamin or some spirulina.

Yes! I was going to recommend this... I used to get migraines, but this has been a wonder "drug" for me. No nasty side effects, either.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options

Charley Horses occur in Minnesota and Wisconsin ;)
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    KDRockstar wrote: »
    I have started taking magnesium as a spray in oil - it's great because if you forget to take the magnesium as a pill you can just spray on before going to bed. Works a treat!

I take magnesium and potassium as a supplement. Very occasionally I take a multivitamin or some spirulina.

Yes! I was going to recommend this... I used to get migraines, but this has been a wonder "drug" for me. No nasty side effects, either.

This works on migraines for some people? Might have to try it on my husband...
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Magnesium is amazing for cramps. I'd just start taking it. Only thing that'll happen if you take it and don't need it is you'll get diarrhea.

LIKE! It is strange that I know that but I binge watched TNG a few months ago (and ENT last year). Working my way through Voyager now.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    If I was going to spend under $10 monthly for supplements I could go with Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 for the best health including cancer prevention. Fish oil has been my go to supplement for 19 years now.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If I was going to spend under $10 monthly for supplements I could go with Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 for the best health including cancer prevention. Fish oil has been my go to supplement for 19 years now.

You changed your photo! Nice!