Workout check-in - Juknow you got this!

Options

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    The ants in mah pants dragged me out of bed and onto the hill this AM. I've been ridiculously energy-less the past few days, so it was a nice change. Didn't last though. Every interval right down sucked my breath to the core. I usually recover in 1:30 for all but the last, like, 2 intervals. Today I was constantly pausing the darn runkeeper app because I could not even... I mean, my legs were fine, and my lungs were not burning or anything. I just. could. not. steady. breathing.

Also, runkeeper's distance tracking being what it is, I don't really have much ground for comparison, so maybe I was just running really powerfully and fast... *shrugs* Gonna do some short, submax-ish BW stuff tonight, go to the gym for more complicated stuff tomorrow, run the 400/800m interval at lunch, do some yoga somewhere, rest on Friday, repeat the struggle on Saturday? (I haz another obstacle race. This one should be a lot more challenging. Oof)
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sigh – Went away for Memorial Day weekend and then somehow that turned into over a week away from the gym. Yesterday’s workout session was awful and I really felt the week off.

Squats: 85 lbs My goal is to get to at least 100 lbs by the end of the month.
    OHP: 40 lbs – Had to deload from 45 even without the week off. 40 lbs felt good. I need to get some fractional weights.
    Deadlift: 95 lbs – Form was off. I didn’t get to the gym in time before class started to use the bumper plates. I just have such a hard time with these when I have to stack plates. Everything is all wobbly and it messes with my head.
    Assisted chin ups -64 lbs. These were pretty good. I struggled on the last one, but I’m counting it since I was trying to rush through to finish.

My one hip/leg is feeling tight and I definitely need to fit in some stretching and yoga again!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Howdy - haven't been checking in, but I've been doing my lifting. Limited cardio aside from leisurely walks, though. Last night:
    Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5,110
    Bench: 2x5x45, 5x5x85
    Row: 5x5x80
    Felt pretty good, probably gonna bump the squats up tomorrow :)
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Pretty good day chez NYSC:

Goblet squats: 1 x 5 @ 25 lbs; 3 x 5 @ 40 lbs.; Lunges: 3 x 5 @ 50 lbs.; Leg press machine: 1 x 4 @ 350 lbs.

BP 5 × 5 @ 64 lbs.

Row 5 x 5 @ 75 lbs. My form isn't so great so staying at the weight.

Planks 3 @ 55 seconds
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Good to see that for it only being June 3rd, there's quite a few posts in here! Here's to a kick *kitten* start to June!

I tested my maxes today. I didn't hit the weights that I was aiming for, but I am beyond happy with what I got. It's either the pre-workout wearing off, the weightlifting version of runner's high, an empty stomach or a combo of all three, but I'm jittery/shaky with excitement right now!! lol

****Test Results****
    Squat: 225lbs
    Bench: 140lbs
    Deadlift: 240lbs

I'm taking the rest of this week off and will hit a regular program again starting Monday. Now, it is time for lunch. Have a great rest of the week and weekend ladies!
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm currently on Day 3 of 9 weeks of healthy eating and exercise and am trying to lose about 5-8 lbs by the first week of August. Not sure if this is possible but I know it can be done. I'm also on week 9 of SL although have missed a few weeks in between. Missing my cardio and haven't rode the bike in a few days because of the rain.

Here is my SK workout of the day:

Squats: 5x5x 120 lbs. - these were good but not great. My hips feel tight. Will stay on the same weight next time.

Bench: 5x5x 85 lbs. - my fave exercise. Did well with these even though it felt a bit heavy so may stay on the same weight next time.

Row: 5x5x 90 lbs. - horrible grip again even with straps but managed to finish Will stat at this weight next time.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Katro - Those are some awesome lifts. Well done on the max testing there.

Cardio day for me. Jogged for 35 minutes in the rain at the park. Not bad overall. Not quite to 3 miles but I'm almost there. Think it will take just under 40 minutes for the 3 mile jog. Plan to try 40 minutes on Friday.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    @katro111 holy massive max's!!!! nice!!

Lifted last night so here we go

squat 5x5x135lbs - squats feel really heavy these days...not sure whats going on
    bench 5x5x80lbs - easy peasy
    row 5x5x90lbs - again, easy

Shoulder/back superset of DOOOOOOOM 5x5
    lat pull down x90lbs
    single arm row x30lb dumbbells
    single arm overhead thrust thing x30lb dumbbells
    single arm dumbbell press x30lb dumbbells
    seated Arnold press x30lb dumbbells
    Prone Jackknife on ball
    pushups from ball
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    I've been ridiculously energy-less the past few days

just gonna say, although it has nothing to do with it . . i really like your new pic. you look so happy :)

• indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Awesome work everyone! I had copied some quotes and made specific comments but then touched "cut" by mistake and deleted them all pfft. Anyway welcome to AR, congrats Dawn for completing stage4 (those lifts sound so funky and cool...prone snatch! Got to look that up!). There were a few more comments but now they're gone...

Today's workout was tough! Everything felt really hard. I'm going to have to try that meatloaf sandwich ;-) because my protein bar did not cut it this morning. I felt tanked and the muscle in the front of my hip was sore and tight. I dropped down from 100 to 90 on my squat.
    Warmups: treadmill, lighter reps of everything
    Squat 90
    BP 70 failed one rep in 4th set
    Row 65 hard today, usually love these!
    I honestly couldn't wait to be done. I hope I don't have many of these kinds of workouts blah!

Question: if I just stay at a weight because it is feeling hard or my form isn't where I want it to be for each and every rep am I circumventing the way the program is designed to be used? Should I call each less than perfect rep a fail so that a deload might be proposed (in the app). The way I'm doing it is to keep "practicing" with he weight that is giving me trouble and not necessarily reporting a fail thereby not deloading
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Question: if I just stay at a weight because it is feeling hard or my form isn't where I want it to be for each and every rep am I circumventing the way the program is designed to be used? Should I call each less than perfect rep a fail so that a deload might be proposed (in the app). The way I'm doing it is to keep "practicing" with he weight that is giving me trouble and not necessarily reporting a fail thereby not deloading
    Personally, I don't think ONE imperfect rep is a failure. We all have off reps sometimes. For me, if a handful of reps or a full set feels off, then I consider doing that weight again the following workout. I do not deload unless I've actually failed a lift three times (i.e., couldn't complete the full set).
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Today was 5x5 / Workout A

Warm up supersets:
    - Good Mornings - 3x10 @ 45
    - Squats - 2x5 @ 45

Squats -- 5x5 @ 90 lbs.
    - Felt heavier than I would have liked, but not terrible.

Bench -- 5x5 @ 67.5 lbs.
    - Again, heavier than I expected. Glad I didn't go up to 70 lbs. today.

Rows - 5x5 @ 67.5 lbs.
    - Easy peasy.

Accessories:
    Incline Bench Press -- 3x10 @ 45 lbs.
    - Amazing how different these feel from regular bench press. Am loving these, though not sure how to progress or the volume I should be doing.

Then I took Huck out to the trail for a nice long walk (90 minutes).

Pretty good day overall. :)

C.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Snip

To answer your question: Nope. I do that. I've gotten to the point where I can't comfortably progress every lift, so I try to increase every week. I have been at the same bench for a few weeks (until Monday when I bumped up to 120). When my form sucks, i just deload and start over at a comfortable but hard weight. Back in March-ish, I dropped all of my lifts to work on form. I hung out at the deloaded squat weight for about 3 weeks before adding weight back. The app will tell you to increase if you hit all 5x5, but you can manually decrease it 5 pounds when you start your next workout.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Tuesday: ran a 5k at lunch. It's getting toasty here and really sucks running mid-day outside.

Wednesday: Workout B.
    Squats 5x5 at 165#. Man, I felt awesome under the bar today!
    OHP 5x5 at 80#. Holy hard OHP batman!
    Deadlifts 1x5 at 210#. I have been having grip issues as of late. I decided to try lifting with chalk, and I had zero grip issues. Apparently, I wasn't having grip issues but rather a sweaty hands issue.

Accessories:
    Stiff leg deads 5x10 at 70#.
    Narrow grip lat pulldown 3x10 at 90#.
    Regular grip lat pulldown 3x10 at 90#.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the warm welcome :) Still going to have spotty attendance in June but will try to pop in as much as I can.

Tuesday I went for a 2+ mile run. I wasn't planning on it but I got on a music downloading kick and I wanted to enjoy it while running.

Yesterday I lifted despite having DOMS. Glad I did because I feel better.

Squat 105 5x5... much easier than 95 last time. Would hop up to 115 but I'm traveling tomorrow for the weekend then traveling for work on Tuesday :pensive:

Bench 75 5x5. Was easy, I should've pushed myself more. Oh well.

Row 75 5x5. I have long limbs so I struggle with the Pendlay row. I used a wider stance and this was less awkward for me.

Assisted dips -28 3x5

Side bends 35 3x8
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Whew! I'm still struggling to get my groove back here, so I guess wasn't going 100% balls to the wall here, but still got in a great sweat and some fun despite this being BW only (It was hard to stay away from the barbells! lol)

8 min AMRAP
    - burpee + vertical jump x3
    - recline rows x5
    - pike press x5

Total: 6 rounds and 5 rows

8 min AMRAP
    - sumo squat jump x4, 6, 8, ...
    - Hand release push-ups x2, 4, 6, ...

Made it to 14 push-ups + 9 squat jumps

WOW from 2 weeks ago: sit-outs tabata: 7, 5, 6, 5, 4, 5, 4, 3 - 39 total (per side)

WOW from last week: 15-12-10 for time [6:14]
    - Plank up-downs
    - 1 leg RDLs /side

Threw in some hollow swings and super slow pull-up negs, but my elbow/forearm is still giving me grief, so that goal is just gonna take the dumpster road :( Gonna dig into the supple leopard book and see if there is anything I can do about this when I foam roll and stuff tonight.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options

Nope, not at all. I also wouldn't necessarily call those reps failed either (in my eyes a failure is having to bail the bar like roll of shame for bench press or letting the bar hit the safeties you hitting your knees and crawling under the bar for squats). If you're not comfortable with the weight or your form, then stick with that weight (don't deload) until you are comfortable and then increase.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Squat day 3
    115 lbs x 3, 135 lbs x 3 155 x 3. I got stuck in the hole for the last rep but managed to struggle out of it, not sure how but I managed.
    95 lbs 5x8.

Squats and I just aren't feeling the love. In January I was hitting more weight for 5x5. I know my form has declined. I think maybe it was the lack of squat volume and I can build up pretty quick. For now I am just struggling to not get really down in myself over these.
  • cherisseb96
    cherisseb96 Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @katro111 those are some great numbers you hit for your max....I hope to reach there soon
    Yesterday I did workout B
    Squat- 5x5 90#. This felt heavy and I definitely see a decrease in speed out the hole but still feel great. I'm learning to take a deep breath to start each rep
    OPH- 5x5 65# . 60 felt easy so I surprised that I hit a mini grinder on the last rep of each set. Not excited to move up cuz I feel a fail is in the near future
    Deadlift 1x5 135# . This delt heavy but I still feel like I have more gas in the tank cuz speed was there and my form didn't break down. I am really loving this forum cuz it makes me accountable...so thank you
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Have not been able to do SLs 3 times a week but getting it in when I can. Today:
    Squats-10@45, 5x5@95
    Bench-10@45, 5x5@75
    Rows-5x5@75