Q&A Thread for June

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    zzia15 wrote: »
    This is a Noob question too. I have read through a number of the beginner files, and played with some of the calculators, but I am stills struggling with where to set my calories. I am 152lb, I would like to get down to about 130-135. I would say I am lightly active - though I also use a fitbit and get in about 10000 steps per day (at least, more on running days). Right now I am lifting 3x per week, and running or doing cardio 2-3x per week. I am also EBF, which I think is where the wrench gets thrown it for me.
    MFP says I should be eating 1500 per week for 1lb per week weight loss. I had previously been using that calculation, but eating back some of my exercise calories, which typically had me eating on average 1800 cals per day. I have tried the other calculators listed, and it comes out to about 1800 calories. I don't know then if I should eat 1800 + calories from EBF, or 1500 + exercise cals + ebf cals. I have been losing, but I don't want to be eating too little.

Do you have any further guidance on this? Or would you recommend sticking with a certain number for a few weeks and monitoring how it goes?

Thanks!

I would start by erring on the side of additional calories given EBF even if that means slowing down your weight loss temporarily. Beyond that though I would observe your results and use rate of loss to dictate which direction to bring calories.

I know that's a horrendously vague answer on my part.
  • LMJ1525
    LMJ1525 Posts: 3 Member
    Haha, no worries. I appreciate you taking time to respond. I haven't come up with anything better!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Ok, stupid question here.....I lost 70lbs in 2011 while doing medifast. Once I went off that crazy diet I of course, gained it all back. Now I want to lose it again but I want to do it healthy. Why is it SO hard this time around? The weight is barely coming off if at all and some weeks I gain when I've been under my calorie goal! I'm frustrated! Any advice for me? I'm NOT going back to medifast because I believe that screwed up my metabolism. Is it really harder losing weight the 2nd time around? Thanks so much!
  • SideSteel
    Lisa1971 wrote: »
    Ok, stupid question here.....I lost 70lbs in 2011 while doing medifast. Once I went off that crazy diet I of course, gained it all back. Now I want to lose it again but I want to do it healthy. Why is it SO hard this time around? The weight is barely coming off if at all and some weeks I gain when I've been under my calorie goal! I'm frustrated! Any advice for me? I'm NOT going back to medifast because I believe that screwed up my metabolism. Is it really harder losing weight the 2nd time around? Thanks so much!

It's very likely that the difference is that your energy intake was much lower while on Medifast, and now that you're eating food and tracking your deficit isn't as large.

If you don't mind tracking I think the best thing you could do for now would be track accurately and focus on eating mostly whole and nutrient dense foods.
  • SideSteel
    Also Lisa, that's not a stupid question. Please feel welcome to ask anything you like.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Boring Protein macro question .. sorry

But I go from pillar to post with this one ..
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I read a month or so back that protein macros should be set at 0.64 - 0.82 g P per lb of bodyweight based on studies on a range of different athletes .. there would be no harm in exceeding but there was no further benefit .. I believe the 0.82 per lb bodyweight was for serious bodybuilder types

Link from heybales http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
    Lyle McDonald, and his book based on over 500 references, recommends 1.1 - 1.4g per pound for men. Alan Aragon is in the same ballpark, depending on the size of the person involved and whether the goal is gaining or losing (1g per pound of target bodyweight).

I guess, like most questions like this, opinion is divided.

Your opinion would be appreciated

We're talking about normal (wo)man in the street, not pro bodybuilders,

I'm 158lb and try to hit around 100g protein as a minimum and lift 3 x a week which fits with the first recommendation but not the second (possibly on recomp at maintenance but not overly concerned as I'm happy just keeping on keeping on)
  • SideSteel
    I'm currently on the 6th week of my first bulk. I started a 5x5 workout off of bodybuilding.com that seems to be working pretty well. I've been eating a moderate surplus and it seems that I have gained roughly around just under 1 pound a week. I want to get to about 205lbs and then cut. I know I could probably run this 5x5 program forever. The way that the program is set up, is that it increases most of the weight by 12.5% each week. I know my strength gains are eventually going to plateau. My question is, when that time comes, should I experiment and just try to gain something each week? Is there a set percentage I should try? Or would you recommend trying another program entirely? Thank you for your time.

Anytime you stall on a lift the solution to that tends to depend on why you are stalling.

But generally speaking on a 5x5 program or any program with an aggressive linear addition of weight I would first suggest doing a deload where you drop the weight down on any stalled lift by about 10% and then ramp back up to see if the next time you hit the previously stalled weight, you are able to break through the plateau. After you try this a couple of times, if you start repeatedly stalling on the same load I'd look at changing the progression model or changing the program.
  • SideSteel

I read a month or so back that protein macros should be set at 0.64 - 0.82 g P per lb of bodyweight based on studies on a range of different athletes .. there would be no harm in exceeding but there was no further benefit .. I believe the 0.82 per lb bodyweight was for serious bodybuilder types

Link from heybales http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
    Lyle McDonald, and his book based on over 500 references, recommends 1.1 - 1.4g per pound for men. Alan Aragon is in the same ballpark, depending on the size of the person involved and whether the goal is gaining or losing (1g per pound of target bodyweight).

I'm 158lb and try to hit around 100g protein as a minimum and lift 3 x a week which fits with the first recommendation but not the second (possibly on recomp at maintenance but not overly concerned as I'm happy just keeping on keeping on)

You are getting opinion with the following, just FYI:

Menno Henselmans did a great job with that link above and I'd tend to go by that for the general population but I'd make a few potential mentions worth noting:

- Helms paper points to some evidence that higher intakes may be beneficial.
    - I'm about 99% sure that Helms would also recommend exceeding the .82g/lb bodyweight recommendation that Menno lists in his paper for lean athletes in a caloric deficit.

As far as my own coaching recommendations -- for overweight and obese clients I primarily lean on protein intake purely for satiety and I structure that balancing out satiety with personal preference/ease of use. So for example if a calculator tells me I should stick someone at 180g and they are way happier at 150g and they are also satiated at 150g you can bet that I'll move them to 150g and distribute the rest according to preference and satiety.

For leaner clients and people who are primarily training for physique I'll tend to go around 1g/lb bodyweight as a safe target to hit, or just slightly under.

For clients in a caloric surplus I'll freely drop as low as about .8g/lb bodyweight and not have any concerns over maximizing muscle gains.

Generally speaking, energy deficits increase protein demands and energy surpluses reduce protein demands due to the availability of other nutrients.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Hi there.

I have recently started lifting, and have been following Stronglifts 5x5 since the end of March. For the last 7 weeks I have been to the gym 3x a week like clockwork, and increased my weights virtually everytime.

Having started with the bar/minimum on each lift I am now at:
    OHP 42.5kg
    Deadlift 95 kg
    Squat 80 kg
    Bench 50 kg
    Row 57.5kg

Last Monday my workout could only be described as "flat". I had no "go" at all. Wednesday was the same, so I opted to take a week off, assuming some R&R was likely needed.

Im due to resume on Friday, but all week have remained feeling really worn out and fatigued.

Im wondering, is this normal? Should I get back in the gym Friday or take some extra time out?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    I'm looking for long-term sustainable lifestyle changes I can make to improve my health. I understand the benefits of weightlifting, but I haven't found a free-weight "habit" I enjoy or can sustain. Probably due to the lack of convenience, the risk of injury, and my dislike of lactic acid. More interested in increasing and maintaining strength than hypertrophy.

So I've been focusing on bodyweight exercises, and the "convict conditioning" series looks like something that includes good variety as well as enough progressive increases in difficulty to keep me busy for a LONG time.

Questions:

Any critiques on convict conditioning or alternatives I should consider?
    Any suggestions on how to make strength training a habit that I can enjoy and sustain?
    How quickly do you lose the benefits once you stop training and go back to "normal" activity levels?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Hi there.

I have recently started lifting, and have been following Stronglifts 5x5 since the end of March. For the last 7 weeks I have been to the gym 3x a week like clockwork, and increased my weights virtually everytime.

OHP 42.5kg
    Deadlift 95 kg
    Squat 80 kg
    Bench 50 kg
    Row 57.5kg

Last Monday my workout could only be described as "flat". I had no "go" at all. Wednesday was the same, so I opted to take a week off, assuming some R&R was likely needed.

Im due to resume on Friday, but all week have remained feeling really worn out and fatigued.

Im wondering, is this normal? Should I get back in the gym Friday or take some extra time out?

How had your sleep been? Had your day to day activities been the same? How much is your deficit, if you are on one?

That being said, people need deloads or even training breaks now and again - the frequency depends on individual factors. Also, it is not that unusual to have 'off' days or even weeks - usually impacted by other things such as food, sleep, stress, etc.

• Sarauk2sf
    SideSteel wrote: »

You are getting opinion with the following, just FYI:

Menno Henselmans did a great job with that link above and I'd tend to go by that for the general population but I'd make a few potential mentions worth noting:

- Helms paper points to some evidence that higher intakes may be beneficial.
    - I'm about 99% sure that Helms would also recommend exceeding the .82g/lb bodyweight recommendation that Menno lists in his paper for lean athletes in a caloric deficit.

As far as my own coaching recommendations -- for overweight and obese clients I primarily lean on protein intake purely for satiety and I structure that balancing out satiety with personal preference/ease of use. So for example if a calculator tells me I should stick someone at 180g and they are way happier at 150g and they are also satiated at 150g you can bet that I'll move them to 150g and distribute the rest according to preference and satiety.

For leaner clients and people who are primarily training for physique I'll tend to go around 1g/lb bodyweight as a safe target to hit, or just slightly under.

For clients in a caloric surplus I'll freely drop as low as about .8g/lb bodyweight and not have any concerns over maximizing muscle gains.

Generally speaking, energy deficits increase protein demands and energy surpluses reduce protein demands due to the availability of other nutrients.

Adding onto this, I did a thread about Helms' research - I need to update it, but that will not change the advice - you can find it here.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1158604/eric-helms-protein-research

Re bolded: he does =)

• samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Hi there.

OHP 42.5kg
    Deadlift 95 kg
    Squat 80 kg
    Bench 50 kg
    Row 57.5kg

How had your sleep been? Had your day to day activities been the same? How much is your deficit, if you are on one?

That being said, people need deloads or even training breaks now and again - the frequency depends on individual factors. Also, it is not that unusual to have 'off' days or even weeks - usually impacted by other things such as food, sleep, stress, etc.

Thanks to the lifting my sleep has improved a huge amount in this time. It was very poor before I began.

I have taken on c25k recently, been doing that on the off days from 5x5. Im currently at wk3d3.

As to deficit, I have been in a surplus since beginning 5x5. Not a set amount, some days a few hundred calories, others a lot more!

Im not to bothered about the need for a break, I think Im more bothered that after almost a week I dont feel any better!
  • SideSteel
    wabmester wrote: »
    I'm looking for long-term sustainable lifestyle changes I can make to improve my health. I understand the benefits of weightlifting, but I haven't found a free-weight "habit" I enjoy or can sustain. Probably due to the lack of convenience, the risk of injury, and my dislike of lactic acid. More interested in increasing and maintaining strength than hypertrophy.

So I've been focusing on bodyweight exercises, and the "convict conditioning" series looks like something that includes good variety as well as enough progressive increases in difficulty to keep me busy for a LONG time.

Questions:

Any critiques on convict conditioning or alternatives I should consider?
    Any suggestions on how to make strength training a habit that I can enjoy and sustain?
    How quickly do you lose the benefits once you stop training and go back to "normal" activity levels?

1) I do not personally do BW work so this recommendation is not experience based, it's "I've heard good things about this": Check out You Are Your Own Gym.

2) That's a tough question but also a great one. I think trying a variety of modalities of training would be a good place to start. For example barbells, dumbbells, machines, bodyweight, kettlebells, random strongman stuff, etc.

I also think trying to identify WHY you dislike them can be helpful. I have a client who LOVES BW circuit-like, metabolic, fast paced stuff and she hates heavy lifting. So we do a ton of metabolic work.

When you say you dislike lactic acid can you elaborate on that? Are you actually referring to the feeling of soreness?

3) That's going to vary based on a bunch of factors and I don't think I'd be able to specifically tell you. It also depends greatly on what you mean by "benefits". For example, there are people who stop deadlifting a few weeks out from a competition and also do zero training the week prior to a competition and they get stronger during that week because fatigue drops.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    This is a Noob question too. I have read through a number of the beginner files, and played with some of the calculators, but I am stills struggling with where to set my calories. I am 152lb, I would like to get down to about 130-135. I would say I am lightly active - though I also use a fitbit and get in about 10000 steps per day (at least, more on running days). Right now I am lifting 3x per week, and running or doing cardio 2-3x per week. I am also EBF, which I think is where the wrench gets thrown it for me.
    MFP says I should be eating 1500 per week for 1lb per week weight loss. I had previously been using that calculation, but eating back some of my exercise calories, which typically had me eating on average 1800 cals per day. I have tried the other calculators listed, and it comes out to about 1800 calories. I don't know then if I should eat 1800 + calories from EBF, or 1500 + exercise cals + ebf cals. I have been losing, but I don't want to be eating too little.

Do you have any further guidance on this? Or would you recommend sticking with a certain number for a few weeks and monitoring how it goes?

Thanks!

Thought I'd give you some advice from my nutrition text book. I'm assuming EBF is exclusive breast feeding? My book says you can lose up to 1lb/week, and that it takes .67calories to make a mL of breast milk. It suggests to not eat less than 1800 calories per day because milk production can decrease. This is possibly why calculators are giving you 1800, it's the 1200 calories of breast feeding, the number to never go under. Also, make sure you are drinking enough water.

I would say eat 1500 + EBF (which should be around 330cal) + at least half of exercise calories. That will put you at at least 1830 calories, likely 2000 on workout days. Also make sure you're getting enough protein and omega 3s. Does that help?
  • SideSteel
    bonniejo wrote: »

Thanks!

Thought I'd give you some advice from my nutrition text book. I'm assuming EBF is exclusive breast feeding? My book says you can lose up to 1lb/week, and that it takes .67calories to make a mL of breast milk. It suggests to not eat less than 1800 calories per day because milk production can decrease. This is possibly why calculators are giving you 1800, it's the 1200 calories of breast feeding, the number to never go under. Also, make sure you are drinking enough water.

I would say eat 1500 + EBF (which should be around 330cal) + at least half of exercise calories. That will put you at at least 1830 calories, likely 2000 on workout days. Also make sure you're getting enough protein and omega 3s. Does that help?

^ Thanks!

Which text is this from btw?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Thanks, SS, I'll look into You are Your Own Gym.
    SideSteel wrote: »
    When you say you dislike lactic acid can you elaborate on that? Are you actually referring to the feeling of soreness?

More the feeling of exhaustion/fatigue and not being able to use the muscles for a bit after working them hard. Not really a deal killer, but it just seems like a built-in disincentive. Negative feedback.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Hi there.

OHP 42.5kg
    Deadlift 95 kg
    Squat 80 kg
    Bench 50 kg
    Row 57.5kg

Thanks to the lifting my sleep has improved a huge amount in this time. It was very poor before I began.

I have taken on c25k recently, been doing that on the off days from 5x5. Im currently at wk3d3.

As to deficit, I have been in a surplus since beginning 5x5. Not a set amount, some days a few hundred calories, others a lot more!

Im not to bothered about the need for a break, I think Im more bothered that after almost a week I dont feel any better!

The C25K training could well be affecting recovery. Sometimes it takes a while for us to adapt to new training and we feel more fatigued (even if the new training is not the same type of thing - running v lifting).

You also may want to look at the timing of your training. Which days do you lift and which days are you doing the C25K training?