how to burn fat not muscle

Options
Need help please going to try and loss 15pounds this month. My protein is 150min a day I weigh 172lbs atm..

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    1. You won't lost 15lbs in a month. Especially not 15 lbs of fat.
    2. To encourage fat loss, eat at a moderate deficit and lift weights.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

He hit the nail on the head. 3 months, maybe (should take longer though), but definitely not 1 month
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    is your profile pic current? I only ask because it does not appear that you need to lose 15 pounds.

and you can't burn 100% fat, your body is not efficient enough. what you can do is lift heavy and get adequate protein.

are you currently on a structured lifting program?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Need help please going to try and loss 15pounds this month. My protein is 150min a day I weigh 172lbs atm..

your protein is 150g a day? Do you weigh somewhere between 182 and 234lbs because you don't look like you do

• lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't look like you need to lose weight...more building muscle to get some shape, so I'd be working on bulking and lifting heavy.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

your protein is 150g a day? Do you weigh somewhere between 182 and 234lbs because you don't look like you do

Why would as little as .64g per pound be recommended here?

• Sued0nim
    Options

I read a month or so back that protein macros should be set at 0.64 - 0.82 g P per lb of bodyweight based on studies on a range of different athletes .. there would be no harm in exceeding but there was no further benefit .. I believe the 0.82 per lb bodyweight was for serious bodybuilder types

Link from heybales http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

I read a month or so back that protein macros should be set at 0.64 - 0.82 g P per lb of bodyweight based on studies on a range of different athletes .. there would be no harm in exceeding but there was no further benefit .. I believe the 0.82 per lb bodyweight was for serious bodybuilder types

Link from heybales http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
    Lyle McDonald, and his book based on over 500 references, recommends 1.1 - 1.4g per pound for men. Alan Aragon is in the same ballpark, depending on the size of the person involved and whether the goal is gaining or losing (1g per pound of target bodyweight).

I guess, like most questions like this, opinion is divided.

• Sued0nim
    Options
    Is that on bodyweight or on LBM .... I think it might be based on LBM

• DeguelloTex
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Bodyweight.

ETA: Besides which, it's not like the OP has a lot of excess bodyweight to make the answers much different, anyway.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    hmm

When I get to the Ms World final I think my final wish for mankind will not be world peace but that people will frickin' agree on relevant macros

(I may be a mite cocky for a 48 year old mum of 2 :bigsmile:)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Imma gonna ask sidesteel :wink:
  • kieranpalmer1995
    kieranpalmer1995 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    is your profile pic current? I only ask because it does not appear that you need to lose 15 pounds.

and you can't burn 100% fat, your body is not efficient enough. what you can do is lift heavy and get adequate protein.

are you currently on a structured lifting program?
    I am not following a program

• kieranpalmer1995
    Options

I weigh around 165-172pounds.

• kieranpalmer1995
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

He hit the nail on the head. 3 months, maybe (should take longer though), but definitely not 1 month
    Alright thanks for your advice I just picked 15pounds cause it's a good number that's all.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Lyle McDonald, and his book based on over 500 references, recommends 1.1 - 1.4g per pound for men. Alan Aragon is in the same ballpark, depending on the size of the person involved and whether the goal is gaining or losing (1g per pound of target bodyweight).

I guess, like most questions like this, opinion is divided.
    Lyle usually uses LBM and Body weight interchangeably because a lot of the crowd he works with have close to the same numbers.
    Also, when the Bayesian article was shown to him, in his forum, his general response, or at the response of his groupies was simply that there is no HARM in going to 1.1 - 1.4 or even to 2 or 3, so why not do it as muscle insurance.
  • kieranpalmer1995
    Options
    lulucitron wrote: »
    You definitely don't look like you need to lose weight...more building muscle to get some shape, so I'd be working on bulking and lifting heavy.
    I started at 200pounds"fat" then went to 145 skinny now I am 165+ which is alright for my first year of training
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    How much cardio you planning on doing to get 15lb in one month? You know there is an upper limit to how much fat per pound of body fat you can lose only from calorie deficit based on low diet?
    Anything above that has to come from cardio.