how to burn fat not muscle

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    lulucitron wrote: »
    You definitely don't look like you need to lose weight...more building muscle to get some shape, so I'd be working on bulking and lifting heavy.
    I started at 200pounds"fat" then went to 145 skinny now I am 165+ which is alright for my first year of training

as a 19 year old male, I would suggest getting on a structured lifting program like starting strength or strong lifts. Recalibrate your weight loss to .5 pound per week so that you keep losing body fat and retain as much mass as possible. As you would be new to a structured lifting program you might get some good newbie gains too....
  • kieranpalmer1995
    kieranpalmer1995 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    You definitely don't look like you need to lose weight...more building muscle to get some shape, so I'd be working on bulking and lifting heavy.
    I started at 200pounds"fat" then went to 145 skinny now I am 165+ which is alright for my first year of training

as a 19 year old male, I would suggest getting on a structured lifting program like starting strength or strong lifts. Recalibrate your weight loss to .5 pound per week so that you keep losing body fat and retain as much mass as possible. As you would be new to a structured lifting program you might get some good newbie gains too....

Do you have a good program I could follow??
  • kieranpalmer1995
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Those numbers aren't adding up. What did you do wrong to have gotten to 145, then get to 165 and now need to lose 15 of the 20 lbs you gained? If you bulked and need to lose 15 lbs of the 20 lb bulk then you messed up along the way, what happened?

That 15lb is just a number. It for for an example. I just want to loss some body fat and maintain my "gains" just thinks I can do this year to improve my training
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I would suggest strong lifts or starting strength. I think wendlers 5/3/1 has a beginner program built into it.

Look into all three and pick the one that you want to run and run it for four to six months.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Um, if that's you in your profile pic, you don't even have 15 pounds to lose. Of fat, or anything else.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    So basically you have an overall goal of cut body fat, try to preserver or gain muscle?
    I second some version of Starting Strength, such as original, strong lifts, ice cream fitness / jason blaha program, or any number of variants.
    At 19, assuming you don't have much else going on in your life, you can probably get away with doing the full versions of the programs while doing maintenance calories or a slight deficit, just make sure you get rest.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

senecarr wrote: »
    So basically you have an overall goal of cut body fat, try to preserver or gain muscle?
    I second some version of Starting Strength, such as original, strong lifts, ice cream fitness / jason blaha program, or any number of variants.
    At 19, assuming you don't have much else going on in your life, you can probably get away with doing the full versions of the programs while doing maintenance calories or a slight deficit, just make sure you get rest.

Well, that makes no sense at all. Wow.

I won't say it doesn't make sense, but I am curious what he is implying...
  • senecarr
    edited June 2015
    Options

I mean much else as in stressors, things that will fatigue his CNS.
    At 19, what are the chances he has kids, a career (not a job, a career), a long term partner with shared property, a home to maintain, aging parents that need his help, etc., etc. Any number of things that generate stress and obligations that force schedules on him.
    Sure, I thought my life had stress at 19. Mid 30s me would laugh at 19 year old me's idea of stress.
    I'm also going to assume anyone serious about it that has the actual free time to perform the activity needed to burn enough calories to go through 15 lb of fat in a month has already freed himself up for such a goal.
  • kieranpalmer1995
    Options
    Um, if that's you in your profile pic, you don't even have 15 pounds to lose. Of fat, or anything else.
    Thank you I just thought I needed to loss some body fat that's all
  • kieranpalmer1995
    Options

At 19, what are the chances he has kids, a career (not a job, a career), a long term partner with shared property, a home to maintain, aging parents that need his help, etc., etc. Any number of things that generate stress and obligations that force schedules on him.
    Sure, I thought my life had stress at 19. Mid 30s me would laugh at 19 year old me's idea of stress.
    I'm also going to assume anyone serious about it that has the actual free time to perform the activity needed to burn enough calories to go through 15 lb of fat in a month has already freed himself up for such a goal.
    I am at university doing game development and have a girlfriend have my our house.
  • kieranpalmer1995
    Options

I would suggest strong lifts or starting strength. I think wendlers 5/3/1 has a beginner program built into it.

Look into all three and pick the one that you want to run and run it for four to six months.
    I don't understand that would you message me or link me? I can only workout 4 times a week cause of union and work.
  • kieranpalmer1995
    Options

I don't understand that would you message me or link me? I can only workout 4 times a week cause of university and work.

• senecarr
    Options

You're making pretty baseless assumption by looking at what you were at 19 years old. You don't know what any general 19 year old has on his plate. Maybe it's an Ivy League School? Or maybe he does have a child or 2 or 5? Maybe they are broke and he works 2 jobs? Maybe he does sit in his basement all day. So you making your comment before is just one big assumption. Maybe you could have just asked instead. Remember something, the way you might have grown up doesn't mean that's how it was for everyone else.
    First, learn what baseless means. Pretty sure I gave a pretty good basis as to why chances are a 19 year old looking to lose 15 lbs in a month is probably not super stressed.
    And if any of the conditions you spouted apply to how he's living, he can reply FOR HIMSELF, adjust, or ask advice accordingly. That's why I announced "ASSUMING". You sure want to read a metric ton into a comment about what a typical 19 year old's life is like. I'm not his paid dietitian doing an intake interview to figure out how much CNS recovery he has going on. Good grief, I'm a programmer and even I don't get so uptight about worrying about edge cases over making the common case fast.
    FYI, I went to University of Michigan (the Ivy of the Midwest) school of engineering (and for the program I was in, the UM is ranked higher than Harvard or Yale). Still not as stressful as having kids and a mortgage.
  • senecarr
    Options
    Back peddle all you like while not really saying much. You went on and on but somehow missed his reply to you above. Maybe you'd like to tell him that the things he said are nothing, don't mean much and how his "CNS recovery" won't suffer. You're also using that as if you fully understand it but it doesn't seem so. Next time you want to assume what he has on his plate you can ask him instead of attempting to say it can't be much. You think saying what school you went to is impressive? Remember something, here you are, arguing with me, where you went to school doesn't mean much.

Really? Now you're going to misuse the term back pedal? Do you actually speak English as a first language? My point with my school is, why are YOU ASSUMING how much I know about the stress of a certain situation with your examples?
    Also, still waiting for you to come back and explain further how you believe only protein can be protein sparing.
    That's not even in this thread, why are you assuming I'm reading everything you ask about and waiting to answer you? Oddly enough, if you read the article linked in this thread from Bayesian Bodybuilding, it happens to mention it:
    Also, the supposed difference in nitrogen sparing effects of carbs and fat are negligible (McCargar et al. 1989; Millward, 1989). Neither actually spares protein though. Only protein spares protein. I think the protein sparing idea came from a wrong interpretation of the nitrogen balance literature showing more lean mass is lost in more severe caloric deficits. A simple explanation for that finding is that the more total mass you lose, the more lean mass you lose. No surprises there.
    bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
    Now do I get to demand sources for anything and everything you've said on MFP?
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    you don't look like you need to lose 15 pounds

regardless, that's about 11 pounds too much to lose in a month, lol

eat at maintenance and lift weights imo
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    you need to gain muscle, not lose fat
  • senecarr
    Options
    I am at university doing game development and have a girlfriend have my our house.
    I can only workout 4 times a week cause of union and work.
    If you have a rigid schedule from work and school that prevents you from resting at your own pace, you're probably best following the cutting version of any plan if you're going to be on a calorie deficit. You might make initial newb gains if you did the full version of any program while at your current maintenace, but you might stall.