The Blessings of Grandchildren

BRaye325
BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
23rwth0.jpg

I just received the news that my eldest daughter in expecting her third child in October.

I'm so thrilled. They live just a mile from us and I enjoy seeing them so often.

My first thought was that this isn't really a topic for a fitness blog, it is?

Then I started thinking about them and what they do for me and realized that they are behind everything that involves my fitness.

Motivation - Sure like most of us I have been working on my fitness for myself, but they are my biggest source of motivation. I want to be here for many more years to be there for them. I want to have enough energy to hang out with them, teach them to fish, be silly with them, and get on the floor and wrestle with them.

Fitness - For those of you that haven't had the experience to watch a 3 year old and a 1 year old for a day, trust me, it's a workout. It should be included in the MFP exercise database. You will find yourself doing all sorts of interesting things and your guaranteed to be feeling it by bedtime. And if you can't keep up and find yourself not participating because your too exhausted, you should be kicking yourself in the *kitten* and working on getting in better shape. If you watch them regularly then who needs Zumba or P90X.

Attitude - It is so important to keep the innocence of youth present in our lives. Their world is always an adventure with boundless things to explore and learn. They don't know enough to say "I can't do that" or "That's not a good idea" they just do it and amazing things happen. Sometimes they fail, but many times they learn more about themselves and the world and sometimes are surprised to find out they can do things they weren't sure about. They have boundless imagination and creativity. We shouldn't have a problem with bringing alive the child in our own personality, and having youth around us really helps keep us younger.

Bring me on some more of that, I'm ready for it!

Replies

• HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    Congrats!

I agree it is hard work to watch little ones, especially if they need to be picked up.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    I think my biggest regret in not having children is that I won't have any grandchildren. Apparently, according to many women I know, grandchildren make having put up with their own children worth it. :) Keeping up with little kids is a workout in itself.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    23rwth0.jpg

I just received the news that my eldest daughter in expecting her third child in October.

I'm so thrilled. They live just a mile from us and I enjoy seeing them so often.

My first thought was that this isn't really a topic for a fitness blog, it is?

Then I started thinking about them and what they do for me and realized that they are behind everything that involves my fitness.

Motivation - Sure like most of us I have been working on my fitness for myself, but they are my biggest source of motivation. I want to be here for many more years to be there for them. I want to have enough energy to hang out with them, teach them to fish, be silly with them, and get on the floor and wrestle with them.

Fitness - For those of you that haven't had the experience to watch a 3 year old and a 1 year old for a day, trust me, it's a workout. It should be included in the MFP exercise database. You will find yourself doing all sorts of interesting things and your guaranteed to be feeling it by bedtime. And if you can't keep up and find yourself not participating because your too exhausted, you should be kicking yourself in the *kitten* and working on getting in better shape. If you watch them regularly then who needs Zumba or P90X.

Attitude - It is so important to keep the innocence of youth present in our lives. Their world is always an adventure with boundless things to explore and learn. They don't know enough to say "I can't do that" or "That's not a good idea" they just do it and amazing things happen. Sometimes they fail, but many times they learn more about themselves and the world and sometimes are surprised to find out they can do things they weren't sure about. They have boundless imagination and creativity. We shouldn't have a problem with bringing alive the child in our own personality, and having youth around us really helps keep us younger.

Bring me on some more of that, I'm ready for it!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Couldn’t agree more and we seem to be in the same boat.

Just attended my 5 yr old granddaughters dance recital this week and she has a “sleep over” scheduled with “grandma & grandpa” next weekend! She can’t wait. We will do something special. Then it will be our grandsons turn for a “special” time.

You’re right about the fitness and attitude. Our grandchildren expect us to be “participants” not just “observers or babysitters”.

Thank God – I lost all this weight – 2 yrs ago at about 400 pounds – Grandpa couldn’t do much of anything and was starting to miss out on things.

Our third grandchild is due next month!

Again – congrats on your newest blessing!

73641431.png
  • BRaye325
    We just heard the news that the third one is going to be a girl! :smiley:
  • nikkib0103
    We just heard the news that the third one is going to be a girl! :smiley:

Congratulations, Bill! I can see she already has you wrapped around her finger! When is she due to grace you with her presence?
  • BRaye325
    Due late October - and yes she does!
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Congratulations. What an exciting time in your life. I had my children a little later in life. My oldest is 25 and my youngest is 17 with one more in the middle. I am going to look forward to the time when they do have grandchildren. I can wait for the moment.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Due late October - and yes she does!

Ohhhh, congrats on the grandbaby! I have two so far, a boy who's 9 and a girl who's just turned 18 and graduated from high school. They moved pretty far away from us last year so that's been hard but I treasure every moment and every conversation we have. Needless to say we spend all of our vacations in Colorado now.

And my daughter's birthday is Oct 30 so enjoy all those Halloween birthday parties! :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I'm happy for you all.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,202 Member
    Grand boos are the best. I only have one granddaughter and she is a handful to watch. She is one of the reasons I chose to get fit, could never have kept up with her 80 lbs ago.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Congrats Bill, what beautiful grandchildren you have.. And a baby granddaughter on the way.. So much to look forward too..
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 335 Member
    Aww! They're so cute!! What a great way to look at the benefits of losing weight! I'm not to the grandchild stage yet. It wouldn't be a great thing right now with my son still in college and my daughter living at home yet. :smile:
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,063 Member
  • Farback
  • Farback
    My four. Top two are my daughter's, Last Pic are my son's. Boy and girl each.

And, my middle girl's babies...

s8bnrnf7mq0g.jpg
  • BRaye325
    Farback - They are all adorable, even the furry ones!
  • BRaye325
    Got to have the eldest over to our lake yesterday to teach him how to fish. Couldn't have found any better way to spend Father's Day, he had a blast and so did I.

34xgpk5.jpg

j76xxk.jpg
  • marekdds
    bkerleicleqt.jpg
    Adorable kids, will add one of my own. 3 year old grand boo. Grandma made the dress.
  • nikkib0103
    Okay, I am now overdosing on cuteness. What a gorgeous group of children. What a nice way to start the day!
  • marekdds
    Nothing like a bunch of old folks cooing over their grand boos.