Goals Thread - Let's hear 'em!

2»

Replies

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    I don't know how to quantify my goals for this week. I'm working towards a 36 minute 5K, but I'm not quite there yet. Maybe this week, maybe next--maybe not a few weeks. I can run 1.5-2 miles at 5mph right now, and the rest at 4.5 (I'm running 3.5 miles at a stretch, though, without walking.)

Other than that--just making sure I net around 700 cal a day and making sure I don't accidentally drink too close to food.
  • DiamondRidge
    DiamondRidge Posts: 62 Member
    I like this thread...

This week my focus is on reaching the 1300-1500 calories per day goal that my nutritionist wants me at, faithfully getting up each morning and getting my runs in, and logging 20 run miles this week.

This month my main focus is my running - getting through the next 5 weeks of my marathon training program without injury, learning to take ice baths, and fueling my body appropriately for how I am using it.

"Long-ish" term goals: Be at 100% of excess weight lost by my first surgiversary (8/26/15), get my body fat percentage down to 27% by 8/26/15 (currently at 30.2% - down from 49.7%pre-op), run my September half marathon in less than 2:15:00, successfully finish my first full marathon (Chicago on 10/11/2015).

Stretch goals: Reach my personal weight goal of 130lbs before the New Year (37 pounds to go). Boston qualify (would need to run Chicago in 3:40:00 - about a minute/mile off of my current pace).
  • dragonflies6
    dragonflies6 Posts: 52 Member
    RENAEJAE wrote: »
    Get back on track. Been feeling down, I think because I'm getting frustrated with how long I still have to go before surgery. Trying hard not to turn to food for comfort and then I get busy at work and don't pay attention and then I'm drinking a pop or eating something crappy cuz I'm tired.

Surgery will be here before you know it. Losing as much as you can before surgery will help you have a more successful procedure and recovery. It's also a great opportunity to ingrain those new habits. It won't always be a 'perfect day' but taking one day at a time and making it the best you can will get your mind and body in the best condition possible before the big day. I've been feeling ambivalent about my surgery which is coming up in 13 days. I'm trying to drop another 5 lbs before then and I'm struggling with 'food mourning'. I keep thinking "oh I should eat this or that since I may never be able to eat it again, or it will be months before I can have that again". So today I'm concentrating on the fact that I've eaten ENOUGH of all of that to last me a few months so no last hooray binging for me. You got this. Every day is a fresh start so if you have a bad moment get right back at it. When are you scheduled for surgery?

My surgery is not scheduled yet. My husband is also having surgery and he is going to have his first, he had never had surgery before. And I plan to have mine about a month later. Only thing we both have left to do is our sleep study. So realistically I will not have surgery until August or September.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    OK, y'all. Midweek check!
    I've hit my water goals each day, so far so good with C25K week 4, and I actually managed to hit my protein goal two days straight with the help of my new best friend, cottage cheese.
    How's everyone else doing?
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Hitting my water everyday except one, hitting my calorie goals and ROCKING my protein ( I have been having a quest bar cookie every night if I am light - you bake a quest bar for 6mins at 400 degrees, some nights I need a half some just a quarter). I have missed on the exercise twice! But when I hit it I am hitting it hard, does that count ;)
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Just checking in! So far so good! Water is up and carbs are... Carbs! still working getting consistent with that!! Hitting the gym and getting walks in too!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    I am deliciously close to my 36-min 5k. Today I ran 3.25 in 38.08...I think I did the actual 5K in 37 and a couple of seconds. Today I inched up my speed the last half mile to 5.1. Friday or Saturday I'll try to get it to the whole mile, and I think I'll have it!
  • cmchandler74
    Conquered Week 4 of C25K! Nailed it!
    Holy cow, though. Next week is going to be a bear. And I swear, when I jog, I feel like a snail could look like Speedy Gonzales in comparison to the pace I'm setting.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    Ugh, so sore yesterday and today, and coming down with a cold. :( No 36 min 5K this week. I did a 3.25 in 40 minutes yesterday and took a yoga class today to stretch and rest.

If I feel good tomorrow, I'll run. Otherwise, it's a walking rest day.

Good work on week 4, cmchandler!
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    June goals:

Make it through the 2 weeks post-op liquid diet.

Keep trying to increase the water. I hate water and never drank it. Crystal Light or anything else doesn't help.
  • cmchandler74
    OK, it's a new week. What are everyone's goals for this week?

Mine are:
    • Conquer week 5 of C25K
    • Get all my water in (missed yesterday for water but got the other days)
    • Protein - still having problems hitting on days where I don't load up on cottage cheese
    • Incorporate in some weight lifting to start toning areas like my arms

What about everyone else?
  • joysie1970
    Water to 8 a day
    5 days out of 7 of exercise (I find if I do 7 days in a row it slows my weight loss - which may be okay in the long run but still two days of recovery are good I think)
    70 grams of protein 4 days a week - that's 10 over goal

Good luck everyone :)
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    :)
    Water increased to 10 a day
    Add new exercises from my PT to my daily work out routine
  • cmchandler74
    Midweek check - how is everyone doing?
    • C25K is killing me this week but I'm chugging along.
    • Water is good.
    • Protein, not so good.
    • Only done dumbbells once this week so need improvement there.

Does anyone else do any type of weight training? Am I on the right track? Does it help with toning so loose skin doesn't become an issue?
  • brendanewstart2014
    brendanewstart2014 Posts: 18 Member
    Get diet back under control and track it here daily.
    Start exercising.
    Get more sleep.
  • 5BeautifulDays

Does anyone else do any type of weight training? Am I on the right track? Does it help with toning so loose skin doesn't become an issue?

I started working with a trainer doing weights and cross-training about 3 months post-surgery. Best investment after surgery I could have made! I am so much stronger than I've ever been. And while I do have some loose skin, it isn't "I've lost more than 100 lbs" of loose skin, you know? My favorite exercises are flipping truck tires and swinging a sledgehammer, but I'm doing bench-presses and such, too.

As for *my* goals this week, I decided to work on not dying from hacking up a lung. My "coming down with something" on Saturday morphed into a nasty chest cold by Sunday evening. All my running plans went kerplunk. I didn't do anything Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday. Yesterday and today I did run, but with much walking interspersed. I'll aim for that 36 min 5K next week.
  • cmchandler74
    Yikes!! Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon, @5BeautifulDays.
  • BabeDeNoc
    BabeDeNoc Posts: 8 Member
    The week is almost over so my goal for TODAY is to exercise and to switch up my snacks from sugary things to things that will help my body, which for today will be a nonfat, nonsugary yogurt, a piece of string cheese, grapes and grapefruit sections. My resolve is usually strongest in the morning, so the real test will come late in the afternoon and the evening. I have to break through the snack barrier!!!
  • joysie1970
    Missed the midweek check but have been hitting 10 glasses of water! All my exercise days and protein are a yes! Whoo!
  • cmchandler74
    New week! List 'em up!
    1. Water as always
    2. Week 6 of C25K
    3. Protein STILL
    4. Mentally, MAKING myself walk on the off days when I'm not running. Feeling blah about exercise lately.

Last week, I did great during the work week and not so great on the weekends. Weekends seem to be a weak spot for me.
  • joysie1970
    edited June 2015
    1. Water still
    2. Not weighing myself until saturday (i have been stalled and driving myself batty with weighing twice a day wishing the scale to move)
    3. meditating three times this week
    4. continuing my work out routine
  • lmryoung
    lmryoung Posts: 47 Member
    My goals this week are to get back on track with basics (again):
    1. Water x8 per day (track this).
    2. Track food every day this week.
    3. Protein - 60gm daily minimum.
    4. Do some sort of exercise three times this week.
  • cmchandler74
    Mid-week check!

I got a blister wearing some new shoes yesterday at work. I walked last night anyway, but ouch. Not sure if I'll be able to keep up my normal 4-6 miles until this thing heals.

Water has been good... barely. Need to keep an eye on that.
    Protein has been good.
    We'll see how Week 6 Day 2 of C25K goes with this blister.

How is everyone else?
  • joysie1970
    Water - Check
    Meditating - Check
    Working out - Check
    Ignoring the scale - it's my crack...
  • 5BeautifulDays
    I did my 36 min. 5 K on Sunday! I've been running slow and ugly ever since, but I did it!

My goals this week are just to keep working on my time and my endurance.
  • cmchandler74
    Way to go, @5BeautifulDays! Nice job.
  • cmchandler74
    New week!
    1. Finish week 6 of C25K and move on to week 7 (that blister put me out of commission but I'm ready to roll again)
    2. Water. Missed a couple of days last week.
    3. Try some new recipes this week that are healthier. Rock's Kitchen on FB is inspiring me.

Who else?
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    This week is my last week of solid food pre-op, so I'm aiming on the following:

*Continue progress in the gym. 3 days lifting (ICF5x5 plan), 2 days long cardio.
    *Stay under my 1600cal limit.
    *Get in my water. This has been a challenge the last few weeks. So have been vitamins.
    *Get rid of the few remaining beers, carbs, and other items, that I wont be needing post-op.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    UPDATE - Goals for June
    >> 60-80 grams protein / low carbs - yes
    >> 10,000 steps a day (love my fitbit) - met these for the first 2 weeks
    >> Surgery June 15th - recovering now
    >> Lose 10lbs - DONE!

Looking forward to setting some new goals for July. Still recuperating from Surgery a week ago, but things are finally starting to look up.