Workout check-in - Juknow you got this!

Replies

• dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited June 2015
    Thanks @katro111 and @psych101. I think I was just going through a slump, feeling down on myself. I ended up going to the gym after work and felt better afterwards.

-Squats: 5x5@ 135 lbs. -felt good doing those although my hip flexors are so tight. Need to stretch them out before and after squats. One of the gym instructors were very impressed about the amount of weight.

-Bench press: 5x5@ 85lbs. - felt good doing these and so will move up next workout.

-Row: 5x5 @ 95 lbs. - sometimes I feel like I'm not even working out with this exercise but my gym instructor says I am so I'll keep on doing them.

NSV: I held a 1 min., 30 sec. plank.

Question of the day: At what point do you start incorporating other strength training exercises? Not that I'm getting bored with SL, but I feel like I don't see any progress with my body except strength, no definition or tone? It's been 12 weeks but I suppose that's so little time.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    dcresider wrote: »
    Question of the day: At what point do you start incorporating other strength training exercises? Not that I'm getting bored with SL, but I feel like I don't see any progress with my body except strength, no definition or tone? It's been 12 weeks but I suppose that's so little time.

I've been doing this for ~2 years and with my body, the changes are so subtle (to me anyway, but that makes sense since I look at myself all the time and in minute detail at that lol) that the only way I know I've made aesthetic progress is to take pics and measurements.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    I was gonna do hill sprints this morning but then ended up staying up late last night finishing up OITNB >_>

So 8x50m sprints + ~mile jog. Took 26 mins total and I got 3.3km in or so (~2 miles) including the warm-up. Good times. There's soemthing about pushing for only 50m that makes those runs super powerful. I actually almost tripped over my feet at one point, lol.

All depends on where you start at, what you do and how you eat. Do what makes it fun for you and in a way you'll stick with it. Training smarter > training more. First thing I'd do is add in "finisher" types of circuits. Conditioning goes a long way towards accelerating fat loss and body recomp, and doing it after your main strength work makes it so it doesn't get in the way of your strength gains, and doesnt impact recovery too much, either. You can get a good amount of work in less than 10 mins :)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member

It's going to be different for everyone. I would say when you feel comfortable adding stuff on. It takes time to see changes. I can't recall off the top of my head, but what are you eating (deficit, maintenance, surplus)? At a deficit, you usually see changes faster because you're shedding the fat on top of the muscles while maintaining your muscle mass. At maintenance it will be slow going. I'm almost a year into my recomp (eating at maintenance) and have just recently noticed a pretty decent change in my body. I'm still nowhere near as lean as I want to be, but I can see more definition than I could a year ago. At a surplus, you won't see much except getting stronger.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Workout B yesterday.

Squats 5x5 at 165#. I dropped down from 175 because I felt like I needed it. Then I got some unsolicited gym advice from a rando. He told me I should be doing front squats instead of low bar back squats. Ok dude.
    OHP 5x5 at 80#. This is still really hard, so I will continue to stay here.
    Deadlifts 1x3 at 225#! (That's 2 each 45# plates on each side, wowzers!) I really wanted 5, but I'm proud that I got 3. It was soooo stupid heavy. I almost didn't go for this weight because it seems really heavy, but I figured I should at least try. I'm glad I did.

Also, ran a 5k at lunch before the gym.
  • dcresider
    @katro111 - I lost a few lbs. last week, but I don't like the way I look right now and would hate to take photos of myself. It just discourages me if I don't see progress. I beginning to have a bad body image that even my hubby is worried that I'm overthinking how I look.

@xcalygrl - I try to eat at a deficit, some days at maintenance. I find that I get really "hangry" when I eat less and unfortunately, I'm a big foodie. That's what's hindering me. Funny you mention doing front squats, my gym instructor mentioned trying front squats (meaning holding the weights on front of your shoulder) to get deeper into the squat and working more of quads and hips. I told him I'd think about it once I change things up.
  • dcresider
    @katro111 - I lost a few lbs. last week, but I don't like the way I look right now and would hate to take photos of myself. It just discourages me if I don't see progress. I beginning to have a bad body image that even my hubby is worried that I'm overthinking how I look.

@xcalygrl - I try to eat at a deficit, some days at maintenance. I find that I get really "hangry" when I eat less and unfortunately, I'm a big foodie. That's what's hindering me. Funny you mention doing front squats, my gym instructor mentioned trying front squats (meaning holding the weights on front of your shoulder) to get deeper into the squat and working more of quads and hips. I told him I'd think about it once I change things up.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    I do front squats as an accessory once a week - they help with my range of motion and I honestly believe they've helped me get better form on back squats.

@dcresider when it comes to lifting, the scale is a lying SOB. pictures are by far the best way to monitor progress - and the measuring tape. If you're that unhappy about how you look, then maybe you should work on your body image. I recently did Molly Galbraiths Love your Body challenge - its a little dorky saying affirmations every day, but it really makes you appreciate your body in different ways. I'm really really glad I did it.

As for adding in additional strength stuff - I've been doing stronglifts for almost a year and only recently started adding in a superset of killer stuff to each workout. One day its legs and lower half, the next time its back and shoulders, then the final training day is arms and abs. I do these after I've completed my SLs for the day, and I've basically pulled together a set of exercises that I really enjoy that target one specific group, or help with some of my main lifts - and I've noticed that my main lifts are getting better.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    I also like front squats, though I can't hold it with my hands and have my elbows up so I have to do the cross arm form. Still, it's a nice lift. I don't do SL but on the topic, I've added accessories to NROLFW in part as I had areas I wanted to work on, had lifts I liked but weren't in most of the stages (bench press), and I ended up nixing a few of the things in the program (yawn, swiss ball crunch). After NROLFW I'm looking more into something like SL with a little accessory work but haven't decided on an exact one yet.

Lifting day today. Since it's my day off from work, I went mid afternoon instead of night. I'm going to make Thursdays be my earlier lifting days, though I know one week coming up I don't have it off as I have Friday off instead. But this way, I am not lifting late the night before my longest run as I'm doing my long runs on Fridays. Fair amount of people but was able to get things done. And I saw two women doing hip thrusts, which is braver than me cause I wait till after midnight to do those when no one is around. But it also was nice to see someone actually do them cause I always question my form as it's an awkward one.

NROLFW Stage 5 - B3

warm up low bar squats 3x5 @ 115 - heavy and I'll keep at this one next time

barbell romanian deadlift/bent over row 4x4 @ 80 - still heavy on the rows

goblet squat 4x4 @ 45 - harder on arms to hold the heavier dumbbells
    lat pull down 4x4 @ 80 - still heavy

back extension 4x4 @ 25 - might try 35 next time

YTWL 4x4 @ 7.5 - still blah but will try 10 next time, it's the T part that is hard

bench press 3x8 @ 75 - okay but tad tough since i don't bench on a regular basis

OHP 3x8 @ 40 - not bad
    bicep curl 3x5 @ 40 - used same bar as OHP, heavy for this lift

Now I'm hungry as I ate a little before but not a lot. Need shower, dinner and to work on stuff online.
  • cherisseb96
    cherisseb96 Posts: 13 Member
    I totally wasn't feeling to lift today but I know I was just being lazy....
    Workout B
    Squat- 5x5 105# I am very happy I pushed past my fear of triple digits. I'm having problems with taking in a deep enough breath for each rep. It's almost as if my chest in constricted, any suggestions????
    OHP- 5x5 70# I feel the struggle...but no true grinders here just a slight slowing of speed at the midway point
    Deadlift- 1x5 155#
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    couldn't get it right today and just wasn't finding it for the squats so i quit right away. went and did various kinds of walk/jog/running on treadmill for 30 or so minutes instead.

that's a bad day. when running on a treadmill seems like something that i can see as a win, it's just a day that i need to wrap up and wait for the one after it.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Skipped a work out this week since I was a complete ditz. Tuesday would have been my normal lifting day, but I got to the gym and realized I didn't have a shirt so I just went home and did yoga. Tried to shift my workout to Wednesday and got to the gym and didn't have pants!

Fully clothed workout on Thursday - woot!

Squats - 100 lbs. Felt good, but form was a little shaky.
    Ohp - 50lbs! First time at 50 and did a full 5 x 5!
    Deadlift - 95lbs. Moving up next time.

Accessories:
    Assisted chin ups -58 lbs
    Dumbbell Bench Press - 20 lbs

• katro111
    edited June 2015
    Did bench last night. I half considered skipping my workout yesterday (those DL DOMS are killer), but I forced myself to and today my back DOMS is 1000x better than it was yesterday.

Bench: 7x5 @ 105lbs
    I didn't do any accessories, but I ran up and down the stairs for 5 minutes between each set (I was playing with the dog so he'd stop trying to lick my face while I was bench pressing lol such a goofy animal).
  • katro111
    edited June 2015
    I totally wasn't feeling to lift today but I know I was just being lazy....
    Workout B
    Squat- 5x5 105# I am very happy I pushed past my fear of triple digits. I'm having problems with taking in a deep enough breath for each rep. It's almost as if my chest in constricted, any suggestions????
    OHP- 5x5 70# I feel the struggle...but no true grinders here just a slight slowing of speed at the midway point
    Deadlift- 1x5 155#

What I do is exaggerate it. Get the bar on my back, breathe all the air out of my lungs with my head hanging/eyes pointing to the floor and relax my shoulder and spine, then take a loud, sharp breath in from my mouth making sure my belly expands outward as far as possible (e.g. as unattractively as possible) while bringing my head up and pushing my chest out. Tighten up my back and glutes, keep holding that breath in, squat down, and breathe out as I come up. It took a while to get comfortable with it, but practice makes perfect! It is much easier to do when wearing a lifting belt, though.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Cardio Day - jogged for 30 minutes at the park. It's a little cooler out today, so not bad though I made to sure get going before 9 am. Will have to see how the hot days go in the near future. Going to start working my schedule to the new one even though I won't do the 10k training until July.

@Anniel88 - clothes are good to have. Though if I lift after work, I could manage if forgetting a shirt cause my work shirt right now is a plus sized t-shirt. But in August they are switching us back to polo shirts. Pants would be bit more difficult to work in. Though at the gym we do have a guy who works out every night in jeans.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Morning lovelies!!

Bucketing down with rain here, road closures and flooding all over the place! No way I'm running today so rest day it is!

Lifted last night

Squat 5x5x145lbs
    Ohp 5x5x75lbs
    deadlift 1x5x190 then 1x3x220lbs - tried for 245lbs and managed to break it but couldn't lock it out.

Superset arms and abs
    5x5 of random things - took about 25minutes
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Squat 115 5x5
    Deadlift 155 1x5
    OHP 45 5x5. Repeated OHP at 45 because I did that rope climb machine and I could barely lift my arms. Also did hiit on the dread mill and rowed 1000 meters. It was a good workout. Sweated off the wine from the night before :)
  • canadianlbs
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    @Anniel88 - clothes are good to have.

word. i'm so close to the person who thinks of the gym as being indistinguishable from their own living room 'so it couldn't matter less what kind of clothes i'm wearing.' i'd lift in pyjama pants if i didn't still have one thin thread of social awareness i'm hanging by.

but i'm about ready to admit that it's time to Buy Stuff. one of my pairs of go-to pants for workouts has a seam coming undone at the crotch, which means the world can see what kind of undies i've got when i'm benching, and probably deadlifting too. the other is a pair of leotard thingies at least ten years old. they've been ratty for quite some time but yesterday i found myself holding them up with one hand while keeping up with the treadmill, and using the other to unpin my locker key from my shirt and use it to take up about six inches of slack in the waist because the elastic had quit. i've never been very coordinated and i guess you can't really harikiri yourself on a one-inch safety pin . . . but really, that would have been a really stupid method of stabbing yourself so i think it's about time i faced facts.

i should put it in my Goals for july. i hate clothes buying so much.

• dcresider
    edited June 2015
    Hi guys. Here are my current stats.

Squats - 5 x 5 @ 140 lbs - felt good although the bar on by shoulders is bothering me more.

OH presses - 5. X 5 @ 55 lbs. seems like I can't move do the last rep w/o losing form. Gonna stick at this weight.

Deadlifts - 1 x 3 @ 165 - decided to go up on weights but could barely finish the second rep. Forget about the 4th and 5 th one. I may go back down.
  • canadianlbs
    squats 65, ohp 50 again, deadlift 90. i did a lot more volume than these make it seem, but those are the numbers for them. i also did 5x5@50 rows which is 'accessory' weight, and ran/walked on the treadmill for 24 minutes, alternating between 2 and 5 mph for one minute each.

i don't understand the appeal of treadmills and running. they're/it's so awful, but every so often i seem to go through some kind of Treadmilling Phase.