Crossfit Victories

Options

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Deadlift 5RM (2 sets)

Recently, I’ve been working 5RM dead lifts at 315lbs (I’m typically doing deadlifts after squats, as was today). Because my workout partner was doing 245lbs for his sets, and we didn’t have much time, I just had the 45 plates put on each side (335lbs). I popped out two sets of five with minimal rest like candy. I am hoping this translates well to my one rep max and I blow my 405lb max out of the water in March.

It would be a great day if the Cindy WOD after didn’t kick my *kitten*.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    So many times it's your mind that is holding you back, not your body. Good job!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Had an interesting session @ Buddhist centre yesterday about how we think things are vs. how they really are. Moving from thinking mode into sensing mode, being mindful and aware. Touched on thoughts as facts vs. thoughts as mental events, and how powerful thoughts can be. Some CBT therapies use positive thoughts to reinforce desirable things. But the more you come to understand thoughts as mental events and not as facts, the less they will hold you back.

Thinking "I can't deadlift that" isn't fact. It may sometimes coincide with the truth, but it is not in itself a truth.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    While I agree with you on “thoughts can be limiting” I think they can do exactly the opposite. I remember a guy who was a senior when I was a sophomore. My teammates loaded a bar with all the weights we had in the “gym” and asked him to come deadlift it. Nobody else was close to lifting it.

He was as strong as an ox, but never worked out. He worked so hard on his father’s farm, he didn’t want to work hard for football. He was simple-minded, so not likely to go far in life, but he had no set limitation on what his body could do.

He’d walk up and do it like he was picking up a box of copy paper. He didn’t have any conception that he couldn’t lift any bar loaded with weight. I have no doubt he lifted heavy things working for his father, but in reality as a deadlifter, he was untrained. Still, he lifted more weight than his body should have been able to, because of his mind.

So, I believe the mind can both hold us back and push us forward.
  • Inkratlet
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Or it was the lack of pre-conceived ideas (thoughts as fact), either negative or positive, that allowed him to approach the bar and lift it.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    Same idea. Lack of awareness probably means mind limits have been turned off.

Except for box jumps. Every time I try to zone out for box jumps, I miss. Lack of awareness doesn’t work for box jumps.
  • Inkratlet
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Not quite the same :) You're talking about using positive thoughts ("I know I can do this because I know of no reason why I can't") as being influencing. Which is a good approach for some and is used in some CBT's very successfully.

I'm talking about separating thought from fact - thinking you can/can't do something doesn't make it a truth. They are entirely separate things. I can think "I am not able to type this sentence" but the evidence (the fact that I am typing this sentence) suggests that thought is not truth. This approach can be taken to lifts. I understand that my thoughts are not fact therefore even if my thoughts are negative ("I can't snatch that") there is every chance they are untrue.

But, we digress :D this is not CrossFit
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    This might sound like a weird victory. I have anxiety and the box environment in general can be very triggering for it. I don't get exercise anxiety when I am powerlifting on my own @ my gym. Anyway, today I got to the box and I don't really know what set it off but I was just in a panic. I was ready to just go home but I decided to work on some olympic lifting stuff on my own. I hit a 15# PR on overhead squat. It still felt like a cruddy day because I didn't metcon on one of my goats but the fact that I did SOMETHING and PR'd was a success. Every bit that I do instead of running away when under duress is a victory in a) Crossfit and b) the struggle with the anxiety.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    This might sound like a weird victory. I have anxiety and the box environment in general can be very triggering for it. I don't get exercise anxiety when I am powerlifting on my own @ my gym. Anyway, today I got to the box and I don't really know what set it off but I was just in a panic. I was ready to just go home but I decided to work on some olympic lifting stuff on my own. I hit a 15# PR on overhead squat. It still felt like a cruddy day because I didn't metcon on one of my goats but the fact that I did SOMETHING and PR'd was a success. Every bit that I do instead of running away when under duress is a victory in a) Crossfit and b) the struggle with the anxiety.

Outstanding PR!

• bostonwolf
    Options
    ^love it.

Allan, we had an in-house comp this summer and had a snatch ladder. It was a row of barbells from 85 to 245 lbs in 10 lbs increments. You started at 85 and did the lift, stepped forward and did it again. You snatched until you could not any more, then clean and jerked, then clean. I PRd every one of them because I never asked what the weight was when I failed. Someone was writing it down for me. I had no idea what the weight on the bar was. I just stepped up and tried until I failed.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Last night was great for me. I PR'd my 5RM on front squats (235) and push press (190.) Also, the WOD had rope climbs and while I have been able to climb a rope for a while, I have never done it during a WOD but last night I did. I got up that rope 9 times and more importantly, got down successfully 9 times.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I PR'd my back squat today- 175 lb. Felt great!
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    CJMQ wrote: »
    I PR'd my back squat today- 175 lb. Felt great!

Yeah! Nice job!!!
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I PR'd my clean, back squat, chest press and deadlift in a tester class today!

Power clean - 62.5kgs up from 60kgs (137lbs)
    Back squat - 80kgs up from 70kgs (176lbs)
    Bench Press - 55kgs up from 45kgs (121lbs)
    Deadlift - 115kgs up from 110kgs (253lbs)
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Today I did my first RX workout with pull-ups! 40 kb swings at 35#, 30 walking lunges with plate overhead at 25#, and 20 pullups. Two rounds for time. It took me 19 minutes and I tore my hand on pull-up 35, but I did it!!!!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    ^That's awesome, I can't wait until I can get multiple pullups into a workout. Right now it's just a matter of losing weight.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    PRed my hang power clean @ 160 this week. Also PRed how many unbroken HSPU I could do (kipping) @ 17
  • bettytrhoades
    bettytrhoades Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    PRd my back squats today, up to 140 lbs from 115 lbs!!! :smile:
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Great work everyone!
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    linked two muscle ups together, and vastly improved my double unders