So...what does everyone's name mean

Options

Replies

• DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    One chapter of my life that gave me tremendous pride & pleasure was starting and directing a jazz acapella group. That group was called "Drawn To Scale", 3 women & 3 men. We sang in the Boston area from 1995 - 2000.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Mine is a mashup of my initials and my dear hubby's name. I worked for a tech company that had us use our initials for login handles, so using "cam" somehow on every new ID became my normal.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I usually make up a story about being a dyslexic webmaster, but mine dates back to 1997. Back to the days when there was often a single "webmaster" even at the now-giant corporations.

Yahoo launched their email service that year. It was an unusual launch because they used their corporate domain rather than something dedicated to email (like gmail for google, hotmail for microsoft, etc.). I figured I could pretend to be the yahoo webmaster by snatching the name "webmaster@yahoo.com," but they were smart enough to reserve that particular username. :)

Anyway, I have been a "webmaster" since the web was born around 1994, but now I go by the nom de plume Wab Mester. Just call me Wab. :)
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Haha, wow! Your stories are all great.
    For the guy who mentioned stalkers, that's the reason why I don't use my real name online. I had a stalker once. It wasn't fun. :(

My name and avatar are connected. My alias for a very long time online was Tenebrae. Neko is Japanese for cat. Teneko is a combination of Tene (short for Tenebrae) + ko which is a common suffix in Japanese names for a female. It pretty much means "child", but I guess you could think of it as being like -ita in Spanish.
    Teneko is also a combination of Te (even SHORTER version of Tenebrae) + neko (cat).
    I love cats.
    I was having out with some webcomic folks online a while back and ended up being added into one of their comics as a magical catgirl named Teneko. My avatar is a picture of her. =^_^=
    Weirdest thing about it is that sometimes people go to anime conventions dressed up as "me".

-T.
  • parkdad73
    parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If I told ya.....You know how it goes :)

Lol!
  • parkdad73
    Options
    I'm 42, have three crumb snatchers, and prefer manicured nature.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Mines pretty simple... I'm Canadian, eh? But properly pronounced where I come from "I'm Canadjin, eh?"
    @parkdad73, I like your explanation, lol.
  • chaychay48
    chaychay48 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My name is Michaela and in college someone mistakenly called me MaChayla in front of some sorority sisters which then led them to give me the nick name MaChayChay later to be shortened to Chay Chay. 48 is a number I use for everything for an unknown reason!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    parkdad73 wrote: »
    I'm 42, have three crumb snatchers, and prefer manicured nature.

Crumb snatchers.... LOVE IT

A twist on my real name Kimberly, my birth year and the northern Canadian grey wolf aka Timber Wolf who is a social pack animal, but often misunderstood and feared (not that I think I'm scary!). Anyhow, I think they are an incredible species and while I understand the frustration of farmers/ranchers with livestock concerns, as humans expand further into their natural habitat... everyone has to eat!
  • parkdad73
    Options
    This is a neat thread! Cool glimpse into people's personalities.
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Mine is not super exciting. I was named after my grandmother Odessa. When there were two of us my family nicknamed me Dessie.....Penn is a shortened version of my much longer last name.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Mine is quite boring... name Cari Miller followed by birth year and grad year.
  • mongoosealamode
    mongoosealamode Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    In high school a couple friends and I were watching some nature show about mongoose. The narrator was talking about what they eat and how they go after snakes and said "The mongoose is an opportunist". My friend perked up and said "You're totally a mongoose!" and it was my nic name thereafter. I added the 'A La Mode' part for my email address because mongoose was taken and I thought a mongoose(or myself) with ice cream on top was amusing.

I have been called variations of it too:
    Goose
    Moon goose
    Liz goose
    Goose bot
    and recently Mom goose

My friends from high school still call me Mongoose to this day.
  • mongoosealamode
    mongoosealamode Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    GSD_Mama wrote: »
    I'm obsessed with German Shepherd dogs, hence the name (and no, it's not Get *kitten* Done Mama) LOL

Haha well that's still what my brain sees
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    bobwest185 wrote: »
    I don't think mine requires an explanation. Sorry ya'll but accountants aren't the most creative people :)

:) is this really true? i thought it might be, but i don't know any accountants.

i'm not exactly a wizard either, i just like tomatoes.
  • keemra
    keemra Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Mine is just the first 2 letters of the names of my sweet kiddies. They all live on the opposite side of the globe from me now, so I do all sorts of things to keep them in mind and heart.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    keemra wrote: »
    Mine is just the first 2 letters of the names of my sweet kiddies. They all live on the opposite side of the globe from me now, so I do all sorts of things to keep them in mind and heart.

Cool! If I did that my name would be Secaja! :smiley:
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Old nickname from ex lol
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Ohhh keemra, mine would be "bimike" lol. What people might make of that...
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    bobwest185 wrote: »
    I don't think mine requires an explanation. Sorry ya'll but accountants aren't the most creative people :)

:) is this really true? i thought it might be, but i don't know any accountants.

I've worked on many accounts and have seen quite a bit of "creative accounting". Although that usually leads to dismissal. ;)