New members - tell us about yourself

Replies

• MHTret
    MHTret Posts: 33 Member
    Hi, brb... and welcome from one of the newest members of this group!
  • jsf57
    jsf57 Posts: 3 Member
    I've been on MFP for a while but never really thought to participate in a group until I say the Over 50 one. And after browsing around and seeing that this was a friendly group, I decided to join. I'm pretty much a lurker, but will try to participate as much as possible. I've been overweight most of my life except for a couple of years when I was at my ideal weight. I'm retired and have found that although retirement has been wonderful, it has caused me to be less active than I was when I worked. I do exercise every morning, except Sunday, around 6 a.m. At first, I was only doing 30 minutes, but now I'm up to 60 minutes on my stationary bike. It seems to help, but still the weight is slow to come off. So, with the support from here and continued exercise and calorie counting, I hope to continue to succeed.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    It's great to welcome all of the new members. Lurking is completely acceptable. I was a lurker too for the first 4 months on MFP. Then I slowly started posting here and there and now here I am co-leading a group and posting 20 times a day!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    MHTret wrote: »
    Hi all! What a great group -- I've spent the last couple of days catching up on previous posts and have learned so much. I'm not usually a joiner, never would do Facebook or other social media, but it will be great to have the support and information in the Over 50 group, and I know it will be a huge help.

I've been gaining weight since my 20's - have tried so many things over the years and lost a little, always to gain it back and more. Now I'm 65, retired, and determined to get a handle on this at last. I think the tool I've been missing is a fitness tracker! What an eye opener -- my normal daily activity would have made a sloth look hyperkinetic!!

So I'll be here, probably mostly lurking for a while, at least until I get the hang of this message board business, and I've joined the Walk the World group for even more motivation.

Thanks for the open invitation to join -- how wonderful to find such a positive crowd!!

Welcome to our group. Great to have u :)
  • BBee5064
    jsf57 wrote: »
    I've been on MFP for a while but never really thought to participate in a group until I say the Over 50 one. And after browsing around and seeing that this was a friendly group, I decided to join. I'm pretty much a lurker, but will try to participate as much as possible. I've been overweight most of my life except for a couple of years when I was at my ideal weight. I'm retired and have found that although retirement has been wonderful, it has caused me to be less active than I was when I worked. I do exercise every morning, except Sunday, around 6 a.m. At first, I was only doing 30 minutes, but now I'm up to 60 minutes on my stationary bike. It seems to help, but still the weight is slow to come off. So, with the support from here and continued exercise and calorie counting, I hope to continue to succeed.

Great to have u with us.. Seems like u got it sorted with your exercise
    Looking forward to watching your progress :)
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Welcome to all the new people. I am fairly new as well but think the people here are great. :)
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,204 Member
    Yes welcome everyone! I am usually quite the loner, but making contacts has really helped me stay on track.
  • BBee5064
    Dear all,
    Here u will find support, friendship, honest advise.
    When we are down... Someone will pick us up
    When we are up .... We are ready to pick someone else up

Welcome to our group ;)
  • thistimekc
    thistimekc Posts: 18 Member
    Thanks for all the well wishes. I appreciate it.

I figure you have three choices when something happens to you in life,

You can either let it DEFINE you,
    let it DESTROY you
    or you can let it STRENGTHEN you.

I'm working on the last one.
    So good to read your stories...All my young life I never weighed over125 lbs but after taking care of my elderly parents for 5 years and traveling for my new job I gained over 30 + lbs. I joined mfp and lost 25 lbs in 2013 only to gain it all + some...after I had to have corneal transplants times 3. It's like I never realized how much weight I had gained. Now I'm back on mfp, seeing better, and back to riding my bicycle. Determined to get healthy and stay that way. I'll be 56 in July. Jamie

• thistimekc
    thistimekc wrote: »

let it DESTROY you

So good to read your stories...All my young life I never weighed over125 lbs but after taking care of my elderly parents for 5 years and traveling for my new job I gained over 30 + lbs. I joined mfp and lost 25 lbs in 2013 only to gain it all + some...after I had to have corneal transplants times 3. It's like I never realized how much weight I had gained. Now I'm back on mfp, seeing better, and back to riding my bicycle. Determined to get healthy and stay that way. I'll be 56 in July. Jamie

let it DESTROY you

let it DESTROY you

• thistimekc
    I'm very new to this site and to texting. I am sure I will make errors or I will miss fire using my fingers so please bare with me. Heart to Heart thanks for sharing your story. I am sorry you've had so much to deal with and admire your tenacity for just keeping on.... Our stories we share help everyone to know that we are not alone in our struggles.
  • heart2health
    heart2health Posts: 99 Member
    As always, I'm still reading all of the new member posts and am inspired to continue on my own quest to better health and trust that each one of you have some way of connecting with others. Be kind to one another and live life to the fullest every day.

Welcome to all of our new members...

Heart2Health
  • AEDeb
    AEDeb Posts: 14 Member
    Hi. I'm new to this group and to the MFP community. I've been using MFP for four years but never reached out to the community. I was on a different site for that but I want to keep it all in one and MFP is excellent for tracking the food. I've been on a journey to lose fat and gain muscle. I have put on the muscle but now I need to concentrate on losing the fat. I'm a 51 year old married woman with two grown children and with every passing year it seems more important to be fit and healthy. My goal is to lose 25 lbs which doesn't sound like much but I'm only 5'4" so it makes a big difference. The body is going through changes so it's not always cooperating with me. I lose fat at a slow rate so the journey continues. I have a Fitbit zip. I do weight lifting in my basement and for cardio I use the treadmill and the stationary bike. I have great plans...just need to do it!
  • marekdds
    First you plan, then you do. Welcome!
  • thistimekc
    Just a little bragging I've been over my 10,000 step goal three days in a row. I've been getting my exercise in. My calorie goal is 1600, some days I have over 2000 calories to eat. In my mind I just can't imagine losing weight if I eat more than 2000. Please help me understand.
  • marekdds
    edited July 2015
    Moving not only burns calories, you heart rate stays up for a bit, even after you have stopped. I lost my weight eating back 75% of my exercise calories. I didn't eat them all, b/c I don't completely trust the calories burned number or the food database. Super job on the steps!
  • thistimekc
    Just a little bragging I've been over my 10,000 step goal three days in a row. I've been getting my exercise in. My calorie goal is 1600, some days I have over 2000 calories to eat. In my mind I just can't imagine losing weight if I eat more than 2000. Please help me understand.
    MHTret wrote: »
    Hi all! What a great group -- I've spent the last couple of days catching up on previous posts and have learned so much. I'm not usually a joiner, never would do Facebook or other social media, but it will be great to have the support and information in the Over 50 group, and I know it will be a huge help.

I've been gaining weight since my 20's - have tried so many things over the years and lost a little, always to gain it back and more. Now I'm 65, retired, and determined to get a handle on this at last. I think the tool I've been missing is a fitness tracker! What an eye opener -- my normal daily activity would have made a sloth look hyperkinetic!!

So I'll be here, probably mostly lurking for a while, at least until I get the hang of this message board business, and I've joined the Walk the World group for even more motivation.

Thanks for the open invitation to join -- how wonderful to find such a positive crowd!!

What is the walk the world movement
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    It's another group that started at a location in California and is logging their miles and doing a virtual walk hitting all of the U.S. States.
    I joined last week and a few of our other members are in it. We have a discussion thread with the details. I'll bump to the top of the list so you can find it.
  • BBee5064
    edited July 2015
    Great to have so many new members . welcome to u all
    Im also in the walk the world group. Great group :)
  • thistimekc
    marekdds wrote: »
    Moving not only burns calories, you heart rate stays up for a bit, even after you have stopped. I lost my weight eating back 75% of my exercise calories. I didn't eat them all, b/c I don't completely trust the calories burned number or the food database. Super job on the steps!