New members - tell us about yourself

Options

Replies

• justforme555
    justforme555 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Suzy. I am 49 but will be 50 in January. I am have been happily married for 27 years and have 3 children and also 3 grandchildren. I don't have a lot of weight to lose (15-20 pounds) but I am tired of trying fad diets just to lose the weight and gain it back. I know that if I eat healthy (with tracking) and exercise the weight will come off without being deprived of whole food groups. Being 5' 1" every extra pound shows. I also know that exercise is very important to keep my healthy and young:) Thank you for adding me to the group!
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. :) Before I introduce myself, can I ask a question first? Am I allowed to mention the word Paleo and the fact that I am trying to cut added sugar out of my diet?
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    We are a very friendly and mature group. We avoid the snarky bs of the general forums. We each have to find our own path to healthy. So, introduce yourself.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Suzy, welcome to the group. This really is a lifestyle change good luck to you.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Hello everyone. :) Before I introduce myself, can I ask a question first? Am I allowed to mention the word Paleo and the fact that I am trying to cut added sugar out of my diet?

Hi Leena,
    This is a Paleo safe zone. Tell us your story.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options

Hahaha... You'll get no flak from me. :D
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    So many inspiring stories here! I don't have an impressive or dramatic weight loss story. I was a twiggy kid but an overeating emotional wreck as a teen. I lost 30lb my freshman year in college and have kept it off for ~30 years, but not always with style or grace. Seems like I was bouncing between extremes in my 20's--binging, fasting, running 50mi/week. Maybe I settled down a little (got married, had kids, improved my relationship with food) in my 30's, but it wasn't until my 40's that I learned to eat less and genuinely enjoy it more. When I told DH I wanted to drink less wine but genuinely enjoy it more, he suggested buying more expensive wine--and that works! At 50 now, I can say maintaining has become easier mentally even if it is more work physically.

I sometimes gain 5lb during the summer then lose it in the fall. In 2014, though, what worked in the past wasn't working. I wondered if my age had slowed my metabolism. Upon closer inspection, I realized it wasn't that at all. For decades my work required heavy travel, and I never really realized how physically demanding it was. With a new non-traveling job, my metabolism hadn't slowed down but I had! Bought a food scale, started calorie counting, and what do you know--the math worked. I log on nutritiondata, but since discovering MFP, I have learned a lot of really helpful perspective from the boards, and I appreciate that a lot.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    57 yo married with two children 34 and 31 - 3 grandchildren - 6, 4 and 2 and another one on the way. Currently on meds for HTN, thyroid, and Type 2 Diabetes - I've always been heavy but now I need to get healthy. It seems the more I try, the more my other half tries to derail me. Unfortunately, with just the two of us at home its really hard to not get derailed. I'm tired when I get home from work.... I know I need to plan better and get motivated, I'm having a really hard time with that. Makes it even more difficult. Exercise is an issue - Zumba once a week, but the rest of the week isn't so good. I need some motivation and I know it needs to come from within. My legs and feet swell - I know if I lost weight it would certainly help.... the older I get, the harder it gets. I do much better when the grandkids are around.... who doesn't? My husband has health issues and doesn't do much to try and fix them, but that's more his problem than mine, except the stress that goes with it. I'm hoping that joining this group will help give me some of the motivation I need. I look forward to getting to know all of you

Hello, losing weight and exercising should help BP and maybe diabetes. I just read a story about a guy with type 2 that just got off his meds, dieting and exercising, in the main forum. It takes time so be patient! Once I cut the excess sugar out of my diet I could eat enough other food to satisfy my hunger and still be calorie deficient. I started walking every day and gradually increased the distance. Now I do 2 or more miles a day easily. I don't run except on a cushioned treadmill, but I do bike ride sometimes for a change. It may be difficult at first, with a thyroid problem, to motivate yourself. But soon you will be looking forward to going for a walk. Hope this helps get you started.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options

No problem here, I think our main concern here is losing weight. So the more ways we can accomplish that goal the better off we are!
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I think that with being over 50, we're all a little bit more accepting of other views. I haven't seen any snarky in this group yet!!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    sillymetwo wrote: »
    Hello everyone! My name is Sharon and I am 62 years old. I live in rural Alaska with my husband of 26 years, no children, but we do have 9 goats, 3 dogs and chickens. I have been trying for the past couple of years to get motivated to lose weight and exercise. I have about 55 lbs. to loose and I am getting so tired of feeling like I have sacks of potatoes tied around my waist weighing me down.

Anyway... I am so excited to have found your group and can't wait to get to know everyone.

So great to have u in our group Sharon, looking forward to getting to know u
  • BBee5064
    Options
    I'm so happy that we have so many new members in our group. Welcome aboard
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    My name is Leena and I am extremely grateful for your warm welcome. I am looking forward to getting to know you all. :)
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 56. I'm having trouble losing weight! I got back into powerlifting last year and I would like to lose my fat tummy and make it into a lower competition weight class. My favorite thing is the deadlift! It's tough as you get older though.
  • downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My name is Leena and I am extremely grateful for your warm welcome. I am looking forward to getting to know you all. :)
    Hi there! I am pretty new to the group also and have found them very inviting.
    I also am trying to cut out most of the added sugar since I find I feel much better when my carbs are pretty low and come basically from whole foods (veggies and a little fruit and bread).
    Of course it is a daily struggle, but being part of the MFP community has definitely helped!
    Welcome!

• marekdds
    Options
    Deadlifts? Amazing! The most I have ever done is about 90 lbs. welcome
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    Deadlifts - yep I'm impressed. :) I am fast approaching 60 and lifting a cup of tea is more my style.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Wow! Look at all these great people with their interesting stories! Looking forward to learning more from everyone.

• BBee5064
    Options
    I absolutely agree with you nikki.. we are definitely learning so much about each other
  • Lady_Lyrico
    Lady_Lyrico Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Suzy from the UK. I have been trying to lose weight over the last few months as I have been suffering from IBS and pains under my right rib. I have lost some weight before, but I have been overweight for most of my adult life, mainly because I love eating and lead a sedentary life.

I was recently told I have a fatty liver. I'm still waiting to find out the extent but in the meantime have been advised that a slow steady weight loss could reverse the situation. This has helped me focus on what is important, and MFP has been great in helping me track what I am eating. I still have a long way to go, but I know I can find the motivation and encouragement here to succeed.