New members - tell us about yourself

Options

Replies

• nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Marty, I just fully read your story. Harrowing. I am so glad you survived and are thriving. You are an inspiration. Heck, if you can come back from all that, not too many excuses left for the rest of us.
  • bmgrsgjag3
    bmgrsgjag3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a 53 year old woman who has always struggled with her weight. I've been up and down up and down. I have one 12yr old daughter who I would like to keep up with and a husband who runs (a lot).
    I live in the Chicago burbs, am in sales, want to be more healthy.
    I've been a couch potato due to some health issues over the fall and into the winter. It's been hard getting of the couch, but I'm determined to do it!

I'd like to lose 50 lbs.

My current weight is 187 (190 a week ago scared the daylights out of me....so a small bit of success). I'm 5''3' and glad I found a group for people over 50.

So on this journey I start, still trying to wrap my head around it.

Goals:

Eat healthier
    Log my food
    Aerobic type exercise (4x week)
    Weights 2X week
    5K steps/day

I've joined this group for inspiration, and after reading so many wonderful journeys, I have to say thank you already! I hope I can give back <3

• BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    bmgrsgjag3 wrote: »

Hi, welcome to the group. We have a very positive and experienced bunch here. I'm also in the Chicago burbs. We look forward to your participation.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    bmgrsgjag3 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm a 53 year old woman who has always struggled with her weight. I've been up and down up and down. I have one 12yr old daughter who I would like to keep up with and a husband who runs (a lot).
    I live in the Chicago burbs, am in sales, want to be more healthy.
    I've been a couch potato due to some health issues over the fall and into the winter. It's been hard getting of the couch, but I'm determined to do it!

I'd like to lose 50 lbs.

My current weight is 187 (190 a week ago scared the daylights out of me....so a small bit of success). I'm 5''3' and glad I found a group for people over 50.

Goals:

Eat healthier
    Log my food
    Aerobic type exercise (4x week)
    Weights 2X week
    5K steps/day

I've joined this group for inspiration, and after reading so many wonderful journeys, I have to say thank you already! I hope I can give back <3

Great to have you with us in our group. This is a group that inspires me everyday.. Im confident it will do the same for you :)
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Fugley01 wrote: »
    It'll be nice to talk with people in my own age group, especially about fitness. Most places I frequent are filled with the young folks who think supplements, not hard work, give you what you need. For me, whey protein, a healthy diet and hard work is all I need to succeed.
    On a good note, last night I picked up an Olympic weight bench for $40.00 off of kijiji. I have been looking at new benches but they were all around $200.00 or more for something decent.

Good luck with the weight training. I had been going to the local university gym, but we've got a good small gym at the fire hall now with a power cage, good bench and Olympic weights, about 390 pounds. I work out there now.

• biccielover
    biccielover Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello good to meet you all i am a 55 year old woman living in the Uk i am sadly divorced , needing to lose at least thirty pounds , have been to weight watchers and other slimming clubs but never managed to keep it off.
    Never tried an online group but seeing a lot of success stories encouraged me
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Biccielover, I have found the support to be very good on all levels. I think you will find it will help you reach your goals.
  • biccielover
    Options
    yes i,m getting more used to this now ,also could,nt always make a class that was a problem , going to give it a good go
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Hello good to meet you all i am a 55 year old woman living in the Uk i am sadly divorced , needing to lose at least thirty pounds , have been to weight watchers and other slimming clubs but never managed to keep it off.
    Never tried an online group but seeing a lot of success stories encouraged me

Welcome biccielover, great to have you with us :)
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    bmgrsgjag, Welcome! Great group here, supportive and smart!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    yes we are !!!
  • biccielover
    Options
    Thank you
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's wonderful to have so many new members joining us! Welcome to all of you, please tell us a little about yourself.
  • bmgrsgjag3
    bmgrsgjag3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    bmgrsgjag, Welcome! Great group here, supportive and smart!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm hopeing to get through this holiday weekend successfully! Happy 4th of July everyone!
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Our group is growing like weeds! It will be THE top group before long!
  • MHTret
    MHTret Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi all! What a great group -- I've spent the last couple of days catching up on previous posts and have learned so much. I'm not usually a joiner, never would do Facebook or other social media, but it will be great to have the support and information in the Over 50 group, and I know it will be a huge help.

I've been gaining weight since my 20's - have tried so many things over the years and lost a little, always to gain it back and more. Now I'm 65, retired, and determined to get a handle on this at last. I think the tool I've been missing is a fitness tracker! What an eye opener -- my normal daily activity would have made a sloth look hyperkinetic!!

So I'll be here, probably mostly lurking for a while, at least until I get the hang of this message board business, and I've joined the Walk the World group for even more motivation.

Thanks for the open invitation to join -- how wonderful to find such a positive crowd!!
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    MHTret, welcome. I am sure you will find that this group is easy going, supportive and likable. It is a shock to find out exactly how much one isn't moving, isn't it? An old friend of mine who lived here in NY for a while would often talk about how she "walked at least 10 miles a day" when she lived here. One day, I said "But you didn't." I mapped out her normal route for her. She was doing maybe about 3. It is astonishing how much we overestimate how much we move and underestimate how much we eat! LOL
  • MHTret
    MHTret Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    MHTret, welcome. I am sure you will find that this group is easy going, supportive and likable. It is a shock to find out exactly how much one isn't moving, isn't it? An old friend of mine who lived here in NY for a while would often talk about how she "walked at least 10 miles a day" when she lived here. One day, I said "But you didn't." I mapped out her normal route for her. She was doing maybe about 3. It is astonishing how much we overestimate how much we move and underestimate how much we eat! LOL

Oh, I'm so happy I'm not the only one! No doubt tracking calories and activity more objectively will be an enormous improvement. And kind of fun...
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Welcome MHTret! You have come to the right place. At our age, we don't have to kill ourselves at the gym, but we do have to eat nutritiously and MOVE!
  • brbrosius
    brbrosius Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Glad to be here. Have tried losing weight many times throughout my 53 years...always without the support of a group such as this. I am hoping that the support of this group will finally help me to get the weight off and keep it off. Thanks in advance.