New members - tell us about yourself

Options

Replies

• thistimekc
    thistimekc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thistimekc wrote: »
    marekdds wrote: »
    Moving not only burns calories, you heart rate stays up for a bit, even after you have stopped. I lost my weight eating back 75% of my exercise calories. I didn't eat them all, b/c I don't completely trust the calories burned number or the food database. Super job on the steps!
    I work as a significant needs para for my school district. During summer school we have a morning and afternoon session with a 30 min PE time built in. I'm playing like crazy with the kids that's how I'm exceeding the 10,000 steps. I'm still not a big fan at the gym(all thought machines and buff people). I do like the pool this week I will hit the pool 2 times
  • Daisy58Duck
    Daisy58Duck Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just joined...turned 57 end of June...was doing great on the weightless ..working out with a trainer 3 days a week..cardio another 2 days a week then the wheels fell off..my husband had quadruple bypass surgery in April with complications & my cortisol levels have been off the charts ever since. He is now attending cardio rehab & doing well..however it took a toll on my health (even though I am still working out)
    Use & have for 1 year a vivofit which I love...have 3 cairn terrier kids, a retail healthy mutt shop, & 2 grown 2 legged kids. Maybe too much info?
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Welcome Daist! Sorry to hear about the hubs. Hope he recovers quickly. You need to take care of you. Very friendly and supportive group here.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Life tends to get in the way of our fitness journeys. Prayers for you and your husband. You can get back on track. This is a great group.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Just joined...turned 57 end of June...was doing great on the weightless ..working out with a trainer 3 days a week..cardio another 2 days a week then the wheels fell off..my husband had quadruple bypass surgery in April with complications & my cortisol levels have been off the charts ever since. He is now attending cardio rehab & doing well..however it took a toll on my health (even though I am still working out)
    Use & have for 1 year a vivofit which I love...have 3 cairn terrier kids, a retail healthy mutt shop, & 2 grown 2 legged kids. Maybe too much info?

Daisy, a message for your husband from another cardiac survivor. Although I got off WAY easier with a stent instead of bypass surgery, I have two good friends (and firefighters) who have had the quad. We all face the fact that the stats have 50% of us dead in 8 years. Get past that. *kitten* OWN your recovery. Fix all fixable lifestyle habits, eat and exercise like you're fighting for your life, because you are. Work through the depression that comes with this death sentence. It might happen tomorrow, it might happen in years, you might get eaten by a bear before it happens. We all owe a death, but with heart disease, it's right there every day. You need to find a way to live with it, and live your life like someone left the gate open.
  • shirinian1
    shirinian1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Joined MFP February 16th, 2015. I am 50 years old, 5'7. SW:196 CW:180. GW: 170. I have two daughters age 12 and 15... And hubby is 60. I have been up and down the same three pounds for two months... Plateau! Ugg!!! I walk about 7 miles a day and strength train once a week. Joined this group for support/motivation!
  • Bogglebo
    Bogglebo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Joined MFP over 3 years ago when I quit smoking, became very frustrated & gave up after a few months due to the frustration of exercising daily, watching the calories religiously but losing absolutely nothing. 44 lb increase later, turns out menopause & quitting a lifelong habit at the same time don't combine well and losing nothing was a good thing compared to the alternative.

Getting back on the horse now, full commitment and investment in a decent treadmill - 44 lbs plus the 44lbs I could have done with losing before I quite smoking makes for a hefty goal.

Managed to lose 15 kgs (33lbs) last year on Optifast - (practically starving) but promptly put 12 back on as soon as I ate like a normal person.

I believed my body was against me & I wasn't overeating compared to the normal sized folk, but, once I remembered MFP and logged on again - wow - the normal sized folk are overeating too haha

I'm 52 - live in New Zealand, have 4 children (27, 20, 18, 14) & 2 amazing granddaughters I have the pleasure of taking care of everyday. A very supportive husband - our youngest son has special needs so the treadmill is great for him as it's not easy trying to coax him out of the house for a walk in the middle of winter.

Looking forward to getting to know you all - I know the online quit smoking group I belonged to helped immensely in my ability to never puff again from the day I decided I was done :)
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Good for you, Bogglebo, for quitting smoking. Sounds like you have set yourself up for success this time around in your weight loss journey. Look forward to getting to know you.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Welcome everyone! Plateaus are the worst, so frustrating, we have a thread on that if you want to check it out. Bogglebo, you sound like me, wasn't making progress. so I quit and gained. Brilliant plan! Once I got serious and quit making excuses, it worked.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Welcome all, its great to have so many new ones. Whatever trail & tribulations we face in life. you will find some solace & support in this group. Looking forward to getting to know you all :)
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    KimberlyAndrews1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Married living in Virginia. I just turned 50 in April. I have 40 more lbs to lose originally it was 50, but I've already lost 10 lbs. I have a 5 day a week workout routine at Planet Fitness 5 days of Cardio and 4 days of strength training & abs. My goal is to get down to 140ish and to keep my blood pressure down and hopefully, eventually come off high blood pressure medicine. And of course, I want to look good in my clothes and I want to feel better/healthier.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Great plan! Welcome! You can do it.
  • SharonBrobst
    SharonBrobst Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am a 53 year young grandmother to 4 children (13,9,5, and 4 mos), and mother to two grown, married sons. I've been married for 32 years. I've never had too much of an issue with weight, and always tried to eat healthy for the most part. But in 2005 I was in a car accident and I have had chronic pain since making being as active as I once was difficult. So of course the pounds kept adding up. But honestly I still was okay with my size...well most days. And my husband loves me no matter what. At 5'7 and 179 lbs most would look at me and say "where do you need to lose weight?" I would laugh and say, "I know how to dress to cover it!" lol

Anyway...5 weeks ago I went to a cardiologist due to some concerns, and a family history of heart problems. My heart was fine, but my triglycerides were 300, I am borderline diabetic, and my good cholesterol is too low. So my doctor said I must lose weight and cut out the "bad" carbs and get some exercise. She said for now it's a warning but if I didn't make some changes I was at risk for a life of diabetes, stroke, or heart attack. So I am taking her warning seriously!

To date I am eating healthier, exercising, and I have cut out added sugar and bad carbs. I've lost 10 lbs! My doctor didn't give me a goal weight, but just said I need to lose. I was 120 way back when I got married, but even my hubby says I was too thin so for now my goal is 150 lbs, I'll see how I feel and go from there.

I look forward to getting to know others who understand how difficult it is fighting the aging process and trying to lose weight. LOL
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am a 53 year young grandmother to 4 children (13,9,5, and 4 mos), and mother to two grown, married sons. I've been married for 32 years. I've never had too much of an issue with weight, and always tried to eat healthy for the most part. But in 2005 I was in a car accident and I have had chronic pain since making being as active as I once was difficult. So of course the pounds kept adding up. But honestly I still was okay with my size...well most days. And my husband loves me no matter what. At 5'7 and 179 lbs most would look at me and say "where do you need to lose weight?" I would laugh and say, "I know how to dress to cover it!" lol

Anyway...5 weeks ago I went to a cardiologist due to some concerns, and a family history of heart problems. My heart was fine, but my triglycerides were 300, I am borderline diabetic, and my good cholesterol is too low. So my doctor said I must lose weight and cut out the "bad" carbs and get some exercise. She said for now it's a warning but if I didn't make some changes I was at risk for a life of diabetes, stroke, or heart attack. So I am taking her warning seriously!

To date I am eating healthier, exercising, and I have cut out added sugar and bad carbs. I've lost 10 lbs! My doctor didn't give me a goal weight, but just said I need to lose. I was 120 way back when I got married, but even my hubby says I was too thin so for now my goal is 150 lbs, I'll see how I feel and go from there.

I look forward to getting to know others who understand how difficult it is fighting the aging process and trying to lose weight. LOL

Welcome to our group. Sounds like your doing great. Looking forward to getting to know u :)
  • SharonBrobst
    SharonBrobst Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »

Welcome to our group. Sounds like your doing great. Looking forward to getting to know u :)

Thanks!
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi there everyone. I am the 50 year old mother of a 26 year old and 7 year old. Because of the 18 year difference in age, my husband claims our second child was my attempt to avoid an "empty nest" but I remind him I could not have done it on my own. :)

I joined MFP in April at 170 lbs. and now at 131 lbs. I don't know if I want to go much lower in weight but I do know I want to increase in general fitness. I have been walking a lot, jogging some and running a little. I have recently started lifting "baby" weights and have seen some improvement. ("Look! Look! Look Honey, I have a muscle!" Yes, my husband thinks I'm nuts.)

Soon, I may bump up to "girlie" weights.
  • MHTret
    MHTret Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new folks -- you'll find great support here!
  • marekdds
    Options
    Welcome everyone! Lot of smart knowledgeable people here, very supportive too.
  • hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is Carol and I am 52 years old. I joined MFP this year because a friend of mine asked me to because we started our quest to lose weight at the same time. I was on Calorie Counter and she was here so I switched over. She has stopped counting now but I am still here :)

I have two children, a girl 24 and a boy 27 years old. I have a wonderful, supportive fiance who I will marry on September 27th, of this year (on the beach in the Outer Banks). Part of the reason I wanted to lose weight was to look great on our wedding day and make him proud. He didn't care I was a bit overweight (which just makes me love him even more!).

I am down 39 and 1/2 pounds now (past my first goal weight and onto a final goal weight). I just need to take off 5 1/2 more and I will be super happy.

My whole little story is on my profile but at this point in time I am doing circuit training with some free weight lifting to tone my body along with some cardio. I still try to eat at a deficit as well but I'm a little over that since a deficit for me means around 1200 calories (and I love to eat). I still do great most days but occassionally I do let myself splurge for a day and then rein myself right back in.

Looking foward to seeing what is going on here in this group.
  • irisgal345
    irisgal345 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Iris! Been on MFP for about a month and so far have lost 4.5 pounds. This is a major success for me since I've been dealing with connective tissue disorder and hypothyroidism. Any loss is a good thing. Movement and exercise can be very difficult some days and easy as pie others. It's learning to work around the rough days that is making a difference for me. Looking forward to helpful hints, motivation and support. For me and for all of you. One day at a time!