New members - tell us about yourself

Options

Replies

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Welcome Carol and Iris. You have come to the right place!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Welcome all. This group feels like home. You will like it :)
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and have been on MFP since Oct 2013. 90 lbs down....keep gaining and losing the "last 5." Will test the waters here for a while and see how things go! Hi, Everyone!!! Good Luck!!!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Hello to our new members. We welcome u all & are very much looking forward to getting to know u.
    Feel free to post a topic etc
    :-)
  • lisalpwall
    lisalpwall Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I joined the half century club in April. I have 3 daughters (18, 25, 30) and 2 grandsons (2 & 8).

I have fibromyalgia and a few years ago I hit menopause, and my weight shot up 40 lbs to 190. I take meds for high blood pressure and pain meds. My stress level has been high because my husband has been laid off 3 times in 4 years and we have suffered many financial setbacks. He was also diagnosed with cancer last year and because of our financial situation has not been able to seek treatment. Our current household income is 1/10 what it was before he lost his job in January.

I have lost about 20 lbs...did Weight Watchers last year and lost 7 lb in several month, and quit. Then in December I started taking Thrive and I've lost 12 lbs. I really need to get active and form better eating habits so I can lose the rest of the weight and keep it off, and get off most of my prescriptions. I could really use friends and motivation.
  • marekdds
    Options
    This is a great group. You have substantial obstacles and so easy to get derailed. Remember your "me" time. Your family needs you to stay sane and healthy? Best of luck
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Welcome all newcomers. I hope you will all enjoy this group as much as I do.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I'm working on my last 10 lbs.

Doing lots of outdoor cycling and some weight lifting

Fitness is getting to be part of life not an add on

I enjoy MFP.

Lots of great success stories here !
  • hbctas
    hbctas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Hugh. I live in Tasmania (Australia) and turned 51 earlier this year.

After my wife of 25 years left me, I suffered from serious depression and everything in my life just imploded. I am 186cm (6'1") tall and weigh 89kg (196lb or 14st) and hate my big fat gut/belly. I've been slowly trying to increase my exercise and reduce my food intake and hope to get down to 78kg.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Welcome Hugh! You are on the right track. You can beat this. My daughter went to school in Australia and visited Tasmania. She loved it.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Welcome Hugh - Australia is on my bucket list. Taking control of your health and fitness can certainly be the best thing you can do for yourself. We're happy to help.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Hugh, I am sorry for your distress. I am sure it was a tough pill to swallow. It's a wonderful sign that you are beginning to rally and start looking after yourself. You will find good support and company here. Good luck.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard Hugh. You are now with a group of friends who genuinely care & will support u on your journey.
  • cjborkowski
    cjborkowski Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Connie & just joined cuz I'm looking for the motivation & support a groups gives. I'm 53, married with four kids (grown but not yet out of the house!). I lost 30 lbs last fall but got sidetracked over the holidays & long Chicago winter. I gained 20lbs back so I'm at it again, would like to reach my goal weight & keep it off! Looking forward to meeting everyone!
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Hi Connie, welcome aboard. I'm from the Chicago area too and yes, our past couple of winters have been brutal. Looking forward to getting to know you!
  • AFabulous50
    AFabulous50 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm 53 and this is my second time around on MFP. I first joined in 2012 and lost 36 lbs and felt great. Then life happened and I have gained it ALL back. This time I'm here for good!! I've already lost 13 lbs. logging food and walking, 6 days a week, with some strength training when I do DVDs. I've got 55 more to go and a lifetime of maintenance!
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Hi, Connie and AFab. Welcome. I hope you will both find support and encouragement here.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Hello. 60 yo female here. I've list 95 lbs in past 13 months, with about 55 left to goal. I wasn't sure I could lose weight or improve my fitness at age 59 but decided to check out a personal trainer who had recently opened nearby. I've been astounded at what I've been able to accomplish. My 1 year goal was to walk 1 mile without stopping. I achieved that in 3 months. I now walk 4-5 mes per day with no pain, do short run intervals, and walked a 10k in June with 17 min miles and no stops. This is huge for me because a year ago I could barely walk 1/4ile without excruciating pain and had difficulty walking up own driveway. Looking forward to this group and whst I can accomplish in the next year.
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Hello. 60 yo female here. I've list 95 lbs in past 13 months, with about 55 left to goal. I wasn't sure I could lose weight or improve my fitness at age 59 but decided to check out a personal trainer who had recently opened nearby. I've been astounded at what I've been able to accomplish. My 1 year goal was to walk 1 mile without stopping. I achieved that in 3 months. I now walk 4-5 mes per day with no pain, do short run intervals, and walked a 10k in June with 17 min miles and no stops. This is huge for me because a year ago I could barely walk 1/4ile without excruciating pain and had difficulty walking up own driveway. Looking forward to this group and whst I can accomplish in the next year.

Welcome to the group. Awesome testimony to what can be done!!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm 53 and this is my second time around on MFP. I first joined in 2012 and lost 36 lbs and felt great. Then life happened and I have gained it ALL back. This time I'm here for good!! I've already lost 13 lbs. logging food and walking, 6 days a week, with some strength training when I do DVDs. I've got 55 more to go and a lifetime of maintenance!

Good for you!! I agree with what you say about maintenance. When I get impatient with my rate of weight loss, I remind myself it doesn't really matter, because I will be following this lifestyle the rest of my life. So what if it takes me a few weeks or a few months longer than I want to achieve my goal weight? I also remind myself with each change I make that it is not a "temporary" change while I lose pounds, but something permanent I must be able to continue forever.