New members - tell us about yourself

Options

Replies

• Paulina1230
    Paulina1230 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »

That biggest loser challenge sounds great. What does it involve?

Its on this site. We started 4 weeks ago and we have certain challenges everyweek to earn more points for your team. You also earn points for excersising everyday, losing pounds every week, and some different types of games. I can just barely keep up with doing the normal challanges. The goal was to lose weight instead of gain this holiday season. Its working so far. There will probably be another one starting when this one ends after christmas.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    I read all the posts every day, but am shy about posting myself. It seems when I do post something somewhere, it's misread and taken out of context and things get out of control - that's the Internet for ya! Lol

Go for it. I live on the edge, and haven't been asked to leave yet. I do try to behave better here than on the power lifting forum though.

• BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info Paulina :)
  • shelleyrhea536
    shelleyrhea536 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel so inspired reading all of these success stories. I have of course tried many many diet schemes. Weight Watchers never worked for me. Couldn't wrap my head around the points. I joined Saturday. I am 56 and need to loose 80 plus pounds. I have been tracking my food with some BIG surprises. I guess I need to go to the app first before I order in a restaurant is the first lesson learned. Who knew a plate of chicken parmesean was 1400 plus calories. HOLY COW. I have exercised the past two days and am headed upstairs to the treadmill when I finish this post. I do know that I shall not be able to loose without the aid of exercise. I have no excuse. I am no longer working 40+ hours a week and currently am working from home. I have plenty of time to plan meals and exercise. Thank you for inviting me to the group. I have a question. Is it best to be accountable through this group, through friends on MFP, or just enter it and track myself. Also, do you find it more important to weigh yourself everyday or weekly? In years past, I wouldn't weigh at all and lost about 35 pounds with the aid of a gym membership where I met someone there daily. My group now meets at 6a and that is just too early for me.
    Thanks again for inviting me to the group. I look forward to a lengthy and successful relationship.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the group! You need to find what works for you. I weigh everyday b/c I can follow fluctuations and not freak out if I gain. Some weigh once a week or month or never, just depend on measurements or how their clothes fit. I too know exercise is not optional and have had some eye-openers with logging food. I have some good friends that I interact with daily on here, lets me know I am not alone. I didn't do well on my own. This is good for general discussions and questions, but I get more personal support from my mfpers. I do keep my list short. I don't know how people with scads of "friends" keep track of them. I am not a collector. Just remember, be patient and diligent, you can do this.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hi, Shelly. Welcome. I weigh most days but record the weight once a week.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    marekdds wrote: »
    Any ideas on getting the members we have now more active? Seems only a few dozen of us are here regularly.

Good point Jen.. It would be nice to see more members contributing. Not quite sure how we can achieve it

Right ..... some of us are here every day when we log our food and exercise. Others are not.

• Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    Any ideas on getting the members we have now more active? Seems only a few dozen of us are here regularly.

I don't know, but your post about what works for you was great. I like that you can post something like that without having to look for the appropriate place to post it. I think having too many 'topic' threads will only make this group become more like the main forum. We have good and appropriate 'topic' threads for this group. I hope more people post what is on their mind like you did.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I think partly why I like this group is because everything that is posted.is relevant to some aspect of weight loss or exercise. Also, all of us being of an age we are not prone to some of the silliness you find in the general forum. Or the tone. This is a good place to pick up new info and get support, and also we are good for a few laughs.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    I'm a scuba diver, and a member of a forum on ScubaBoard.com, where we have a small invitation only subgroup much like this one. We have a thread called 'Your life' where we post general updates on what's new with us, not necessarily specific like 'non-scale gains' etc. Maybe a thread like this would be good for this group, where you could post general thoughts of positive, or hell, negative things without figuring out which thread would be appropriate.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    I'm a scuba diver, and a member of a forum on ScubaBoard.com, where we have a small invitation only subgroup much like this one. We have a thread called 'Your life' where we post general updates on what's new with us, not necessarily specific like 'non-scale gains' etc. Maybe a thread like this would be good for this group, where you could post general thoughts of positive, or hell, negative things without figuring out which thread would be appropriate.

Could be a good idea. We aren't "just dieters" after all!
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Could be a good idea. We aren't "just dieters" after all![/quote]

I would not consider posting something that wasn't health related in this group. My above post does not imply that. If I want to post a non-health topic I have other places to post those things. A thread like this would be appropriate for non-health and fitness topics.
  • gmoo150
    gmoo150 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi all - I used MFP and followed this group last summer -- was so impressed with the support. Quit, though, when I decided to put my house on the market and make a major change to an apartment -- drove myself batty with the "should I/shouldn't I" and "keep this/donate this/toss this" questions, and sadly in my brain Stress=Comfort Food!

But I've moved now and am so tickled with my new place -- tiny but awesome and "just right"! So back on track to getting healthier. Have gone all things Garmin -- a VivoActive fitness tracker and their new scale -- and am working with a trainer three days a week (my splurge!).

I'm 65, retired in January, one son/DIL/grandchild (age 17) -- looking forward to getting to know everybody again!
  • RodaRose
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Welcome @gmoo150 ! ! :) 'Great to hear that you are loving your new place and new gadgets.

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Welcome gmoo150! Nice to see you back on track!

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to a busy fun board in 2016 !!!!
  • kyedo
    kyedo Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have not been very active in the group during the second half of 2015, and thought I would start the new year off by re-introducing myself. It also gets this thread back to the top so all the new members can easily find it ;).

My name is Ed, I am a 51 year old guy living in Louisville KY. I live with my wife and 15 year old son. I find that I have much better success at keeping my weight moving in the right direction (which is down), if I am on here tracking my intake every day. I also find that I get a lot of inspiration by seeing the success that all of you are having. It also keeps me motivated when I see all of the activity updates, whether it is walking, running, or lifting weights.

My MFP goals for this year:
    Keep the scale moving in the right direction each month
    Be a more vocal supporter/contributor

Please feel free to add me

• JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    @kyedo - Welcome back!
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Good to see you, Ed. :)