Options
    Just took this a few minutes ago

Nice benefit of long term low carb diet and exercise

pjg7fsovyo4e.jpg
  • pugetsound
    pugetsound Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    saraphim41 wrote: »
    My 2 cents: don't minimize the HF part of this WOE. That's what keeps me away from the chocolate and chips!

Haha, gotcha! I've been researching HF recipes all night!

Well done for taking the 1st steps to a healthier, slimmer you. Im sure you will do great

Thank you so much for the tips and support!

I think the .5g/lb protein figure is for LEAN BODY MASS, not actual weight. It has something to do with figuring your weight (based on your BMI) if you had no fat! Thus, your calculation would be way too high.
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/zonediet/a/zoneprotein.htm

That makes much more sense! My lean body mass is only about approximately 130, so looks like my protein target should definitely be under 100 then.
    Welcome

I'm about 145 lbs less of body fat and 20 pounds of muscle added back in a year and a half now.

Lower carb at 60-80 most days.

Reversed type 2, diabetes, reduced blood pressure, slashed cholesterol <130now.

Got fit!

I did have a crappy diet I ate in excess... Eating crappy in moderation was not the answer.

Total overhaul of how I see food. New way to live and use food to fuel life

It really does work. Learn and proceed forth in confidence.

Wow! You're exactly the reason I'm doing this...I really hope I can be in your shoes someday. Fantastic work. And that blood pressure is great! I've been recording prehypertensive numbers lately and I'm going to do everything I can to lower it!

• GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!!
    A lot of great advice from everyone, all I can say if you put your mind to it you can achieve great results! I've been keto for 4 months and just recently upped my carbs to 40 grams, I originally started cold turkey with 20 grams or less. I'm now in maintenance and wanted to add more veggies and fruit. I so used to eating that way that I can hardly meat my carb and carries goal lol. Just not feeling hunger or need to eat bunch. This is not a diet but a lifestyle for me, you can do it to.
    Add me as a friend if you like
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I think you will have great success with this way of eating. Just wanted to say that I initially thought I would aim for 100g carbs but once I started actually doing it, I found I am usually between 40-75 grams. I don't have much to lose so I can't comment personally on that, but my SO started at 286 lbs. and two months later he is at 241 and many inches smaller. He needs to go back to the doctor and see if his health markers have improved, he had very high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

• CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    saraphim41 wrote: »
    HF is high fat. LCHF...sometimes seems more emphasis on the low carb part. Hand in glove----

Oh duhhh! Silly me. My brain wasn't plugged in at all last night. Thanks
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Welcome PugetSound! By the way, I live in Puget Sound as well...

I love that there are so many responses to your post that I can't read them all at one sitting! I started in the 350 lb range, and just hit 318 a month and a half in, so I am close to where you are. I'll shoot you a friend request, and if you aren't overwhelmed by the number of profiles to look at you are welcome to "stalk" mine. I record EVERYTHING I eat, compulsively, and my macros are staying about where yours need to be. Depending on whether I miss a meal or two my calories are ending up 1200 to 2000, mostly around 2000. The reason I am compulsively recording everything, weighing, (not measuring) is to be sure that I'm on target carb wise. MFP is the tool that is helping me with that and helping me with my macros.

The first step to getting your finances in order is to find out where every penny goes. I'm finding that for me the first step in getting my eating right is doing the same.

I am NOT trying to restrict calories - it is just turning out that way. I am not hungry, I'm eating very healthy, and eating to satiety. The last couple of days I started feeling "funny" in the afternoon, and started drinking several large glasses of water and had some boulion and that helped. There are a TON of tips that will make this so much easier.

One more thing - I BINGE RESEARCHED for a solid week before I took the plunge. And it was HUGELY helpful. I'm wired that way anyway, but knowledge is power, and the more info you get specifically from those who are committed to a ketogenic lifestyle (i.e. not dancing around the edges) the better off you are.

I am counting total carbs, NOT net (that was my downfall before), and am staying strictly under 20 grams. My sugar cravings have become almost non-existent. I WILL add in berries, etc, and up my carbs slowly, but that is a LONG ways in the future because I have so much weight to loose. I'm 58 and don't really have the time to dance around the edges of this.

It is time! Good luck, and know that you can do this!!
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    No one ever talks about how moderation is important with crack cocaine. Why is moderation important with carbs? Especially for people who know they're just as addictive and potentially more harmful? Screw moderation. Screw what "everyone knows."

People lose a lot of weight with low carb. Welcome. I know you'll be successful here. We have lots of supportive people.

This.

"Dancing around the edges" is what got me to 350 lbs.

The only way I'm doing this is because of the energy increase and the defeating of the cravings that comes for me at 20g of total carbs a day.

You might be different, and if so easing into things will be fine.

If I ease into things I'd be eating two tubs of popcorn and a half pound of nuts at a movie. :):/

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Do moderation in moderation. ;)
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add except hello and welcome!
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    No one ever talks about how moderation is important with crack cocaine. Why is moderation important with carbs? Especially for people who know they're just as addictive and potentially more harmful? Screw moderation. Screw what "everyone knows."

People lose a lot of weight with low carb. Welcome. I know you'll be successful here. We have lots of supportive people.

Right on! I jumped in at 20 grams carbs or less. I am usually below 10 grams. I know I could not start moderate and work my way down. I would not have been able to do that. So my first day of this WOL, was my last day of being vegetarian high carb. It worked. We are all different and we each know how we need to work this WOL the best way for us.

You will get so much help here! . . Welcome to this wonderful group!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I was just going to say what a few other folks have said, some people, like me, simply cannot step down slowly and reasonably in carbs. I could not stop the cravings without dropping my carbs low cold turkey. I just wanted to offer this perspective in case you encounter this when you start cutting out/down on fruits and such. it is a perspective that might help if you or your spouse have problems breaking your carb addictions.

Good luck!
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    pugetsound wrote: »
    DittoDan wrote: »

But for you, I would concentrate on the now, not worrying about the future.

I also want to agree with WAB, 100 grams of protein a day would be ideal, unless your are a body builder, triathlon athlete, etc. In other words, the macro thing is just a way to look how you're doing in general. Sooner or later you'll see this:

Limit your carbs to a set amount, like 40 grams @ day max
    Protein is a goal to reach: 100 grams a day
    Fat until your are satiated

That actually is a better way than macros.

I LOVE that top line. I may have to tattoo it on my arm so I can see it and remind myself of it in case I get too overwhelmed with the details.

Thanks for the advice on the macros! Sounds like a very reasonable plan!

I've been toying with the quote

" See this, it's the start of Retinopathy
    it won't get better
    But
    it doesn't have to get worse."