Hardest obstacle

Options
marekdds
marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
We have talked about a lot of stuff here, but haven't seen this. What is the biggest obstacle for you? Exercise, certain foods, time, lack of motivation, medical issues? Mine was the ease at which I made excuses why I couldn't do this. The list is endless. That, and I am a bit of a sugar freak. What is your bailiwick?

Replies

• nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Food. That is my bailiwick. I start out with the noblest intentions and if I am in my own environment, I am fine, since I don't bring bugaboo foods into the house. The minute I am turned loose somewhere else I will eat like a person rescued from a lifeboat after six months at sea. I Will THINK I am doing fine but when I add it up? Disaster. I wish I could just stay home for a year but I can't. I have got to get better at overcoming temptation.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Mine is social situations. I find it very hard to eat healthily. My diet is vegetarian & I struggle to find things to eat that are slimming. So I end up eating rubbish & feel rubbish afterwards. I'm a bit like u nikki. If I could stay home for a year i would be fine.
    But it has helped knowing I've got to record everything I eat & drink.
  • marekdds
    Options
    It is quite the challenge, when you are out of your element. When I cook it, I know what is in it.
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Coffee. Coffee is my archenemy. I drink it with too much cream and sugar. Although I always squeeze it into my daily calories it means I am eating less healthy foods than I should.

After 35 years of 4 cups a day, it is the one thing I just can not quit or even moderate.
  • irisgal345
    irisgal345 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    For me, it's medical issues. Undifferentiated connective tissue disorder is an auto-immune disorder that has many of the same symptoms as fibromyalgia, lupus, and thyroid troubles. Add to that medically induced hypothyroidism due to radioactive iodine treatment, the medicines I have to take, abs age and it becomes a nightmarish journey to lose weight. This also makes exercise a struggle as well. Some days I can walk for miles, but others its a struggle to just move around the house.
    By changing my eating habits I've been able to lose 4.5 pounds so far. I'm still learning my triggers to avoid bloating and gas issues which leads to weight sitting still or going up. I'm taking this just one day at a time.
  • marekdds
    Options
    I completely understand. I have Hashimoto's disease, probably had it for years before being diagnosed. It is a constant battle. Most days I am hypothyroid, sluggish and fatigued. Occasionally I am hyperthyroid with racing heart and high blood pressure. Blood tests every 3 mo to see what it is doing. Every day is "do I take the meds today or not?" Old age arthritis and achy joints, geez! I try to just ignore it and do what I have to do, but some days.....
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    ohgeeque wrote: »
    Coffee. Coffee is my archenemy. I drink it with too much cream and sugar. Although I always squeeze it into my daily calories it means I am eating less healthy foods than I should.

After 35 years of 4 cups a day, it is the one thing I just can not quit or even moderate.

I kind of like this though. You know that coffee is something you're just not going to give up, so you do the work around. Even though that means you might miss out on some other healthier options, at least you are not giving up something you enjoy. (I am also a coffee lover, but I do drink it black.)

Mine is food, especially portion control. I love to work out and exercise, but if I could just eat what I want and how much I want, it would be great. I just have to be so mindful all the time. If I like something I'm eating, I have a hard time stopping. It is getting better, but it is something I have to think about every day.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I guess balance? Not too much cardio, heavy on the weights. And not too many treats, even healthy ones.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Snacking after dinner while watching TV, while not really hungry, just from cravings, habit or boredom.
  • MSDave
    MSDave Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm a weekend commuter - have an apartment 2 hours from my home. In my apt, mostly healthy foods, no snack stuff, no sodas, etc. I get home on weekends to chips, crackers, sweetened drinks, restaurant leftovers.
    Very difficult for me to stay away from that stuff. Every weekend is a struggle.
  • marekdds
    Options
    I can really relate to the snacking after dinner. I am not hungry, my days are filled with healthy foods. I can plow thru some peanuts or cookies, sigh!
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Yea me too. That late night thing is a challenge. There's almost always some kind of treat calling my name from the cupboard. I plan to have somewhere between 100-300 calories left after dinner so I have room for some a snack. I try to choose something that will help me bring my macros and nutrients in line - doesn't always work out that way.
  • MamaJubleez
    MamaJubleez Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Its all hard but exercise will be the toughest. Like irisgal said, lots of the same health issues here. Some days are good and some days its hard to move. One day at a time and do the best you can for that day!
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Mine has been snacking on peanut butter of all things the last week and a half. blah
  • marekdds
    Options
    We each can only do as much as we can. We just have to remember that any improvement is a plus.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I tend toward the obsessive/compulsive. With me, it is all or nothing. Eat, eat, eat. Exercise, exercise, exercise. I can also be childlike in my habits. Eggs for breakfast every day. Salad for lunch. Rotation of chicken, steak, burger meat for dinner. I do love trying new recipes, though, so not completely lost :)
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    15 calorie sugar free Popsicles are my after dinner snack

I can have 3!
  • Bogglebo
    Bogglebo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think my biggest issue is, since quitting smoking 3.5 years ago and menopause...I'm never full, except on the rare occasion when I have takeaways from the fish and chip shop. Must be psychological because I don't feel feel full when we have homemade fish and chips - although we have an air fryer so the greasy stuff may make the difference.
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue is the "I deserve it" idea. example : "I've been working out and starving for months I've lost weight I'm tired I deserve that Double Bacon Cheeseburger and fries." When I hear myself saying things like this I know from experience that I'm breaking and I better get hold of my mind .
    Now I do have planned reward meals but spur of the moment impulse "what the heck can it hurt" meals . Just walk away.
  • marekdds
    Options
    I think that is why "this LAST time" I decided to only do what I can sustain forever. If I want a goodie, I eat it. It keeps me from binging. I also decided to lose slowly so I could enjoy food and not ever starve.