China & Keto?

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
Get a load of this... the company I work for (and Disney) are going to send me to China!!! I am designing stuff for the new $4 billion park Disney is building in Shanghai... I have to go supervise the construction of some projects I am designing. I may be there for 2-4 weeks starting around August 10 (Lord willing).

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/15/travel/disneyland-shanghai-first-look/index.html

It will be an adventure to say the least. And part of the adventure will be staying Keto and eating Keto.
I'm thinking it won't be too difficult. I think they serve every kind of food that can be eaten, from bugs to weird seafood.

I'm will get a voice translator for my iPhone. I may visit my doctor and see if I should get any shots (typhoid, hepatitis, etc)

Any tips, suggestions, comments? I will NOT be taking any food from America on the plane.

Dan the Man from Michigan
Keto / IF / Sedentary
94 pounds down, 30 to go.

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Oh how awesome is that!! Enjoy your trip of a lifetime!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! And I would try to eat at more traditional restaurants, there will still be rice, but also lots of delicious unthickened soups.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm envious. You'll have a blast and no problem with the food -- plenty of seafood, duck, chicken, pork, and even beef.

Well, I did have one problem on a trip to Taiwan. Ehrm, just make sure the food is thoroughly cooked and you should be fine....
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    That is exciting!! I'm sure it will be a blast. You know how to eat low carb. I have every confidence in your ability. Enjoy!!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Try all the bugs! I wish we had more delicious bugs on the streets here. I've never actually tried any. But I want to.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I can see you back with a new statement: Dan the Bug Man!! You will be going on a high protein diet!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    That' so cool ! Take me with you ! I hear the crickets are good....
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You will probably have a wide choice of foods and be fed well, so you should be fine.

You might reconsider bringing a couple things with you.

On my two trips to Mexico I brought Costco pepperoni sticks (resealable pack) and about a half pound of Jarlsberg. Forgive the pun, but it saved my bacon more than once.

A trip to China is NOT worth messing your keto...
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    What an Adventure! I am so excited for you. If it is anything like the Chinatowns here in the states, you should find plenty of places with skinned animals hanging down for you to eat and boiled chicken feet make an excellent, healthy broth.

You can keep the bugs!!
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    That's freakin awesome Dan! Hope you have time to enjoy yourself in the midst of the work :).

As for food, I've never been. I can't tell you anything first hand, but if it's anything relatively similar to what I've seen on No Reservations or Bizarre Foods you'll have a plethora of options. Idk how the options will work with MFP as far as logging goes, but you know what you have to do.

It'll be GREAT!

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Aw wow! How exciting! I'm sure you'll have a trip of a lifetime. Have fun trying all of the food.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Have an amazing time!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great opportunity. Update us with your take of China when you return.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thank everyone for the well wishes!

Update. I went to Sate Department and they didn't like my birth certificate. It was issued in a year (1997) when there were a lot of fraudulent BC's. SO I have to get a "certified" one. The state of Texas says 10-15 working days to get a certified BC. So, things may get pushed back, IDK whats going to happen and am not worried about it. If it all works out ~ good, if it doesn't ~ good.

I can't have them push it too far back, because I just bought airline tickets to go to Dallas on the weekend of Sept. 12th. I have lost enough weight, to where I am now not ashamed of the way I look, so that (Lord willing) I will be attending my 40th high school reunion. I have always wanted to go to one of these events, but always banished the thought because of my fatness ~ morbidly obesity.

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / Sedentary
    95 pounds down, 29 to go.

It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    How awesome for you Dan!!!! Wish my job would send me somewhere!!
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I thought Texas had an expedited online process for birth certificates with overnight delivery. I had to do it a few years ago for my nephews. Maybe it wasn't certified. Good luck!
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

I can't have them push it too far back, because I just bought airline tickets to go to Dallas on the weekend of Sept. 12th. I have lost enough weight, to where I am now not ashamed of the way I look, so that (Lord willing) I will be attending my 40th high school reunion. I have always wanted to go to one of these events, but always banished the thought because of my fatness ~ morbidly obesity.

What a great NSV... I hope you have a great time and that the China trip works out! Quite a compliment to be selected as the resource for that project!
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    @DittoDan I had a phone call from my #1Son today and mentioned your situation to him. Some background: He has a PhD from Cornell in Animal Science and has worked for the past 6-7 years at Michigan State as a researcher in the biochemistry of cattle reproduction. Two or three years ago he went to China on a project the Chinese government had contracted with MSU. His comments: "Bring your meds." "You will sometimes find it difficult to know what you are eating." "There is no equivalent of the FDA protecting food safety." He had no problems. His boss was hospitalized with gastroenteritis. This wasn't the first overseas trip for either of them and his boss has been to China and India before.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    How exciting to travel to China. Plenty of street food there which is reality safe. You should have no problems. Also the conseriage at your hotel should be able to help you score anything specific if you need it.
  • PasPlus
    PasPlus Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I usually take the option of an apartment or hotel room with a kitchenette and go to the local markets for great fresh meat and leafy greens when in Asia for any length of time. Also, remember the Chinese food in China is not the same as Chinese food in the US or other western countries. They generally add less sugar for themselves - but they will look at you very strange if you decline the noodles or rice - a bit like saying - no really I don't want oxygen thank you. :-)

Have an amazing time.