Is it really just Calories In, Calories Out? What do you think?

Options

Replies

• xmikeyw
    xmikeyw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    nice thread good thoughts, alot has to be said for reduced to no sugar, no whites and sensible portions, i refuse the piece of meat my wife does not eat, I used to be a garbage can lol!!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    It's nice to have this island of civility and maturity here. I occasionally look around the main forums, and it reminds me of a phrase we use at the fire department, 'Not my circus, not my monkeys'.

PS Congrats on the drop Pro. Do you find the high cardio load affects moving up the numbers with your lifting?

Honestly sleep is the biggest determinant to my lifting strength and gains. I'm predisposed to add muscle easily but have a terrible time losing fat. It is a constant struggle.

Maybe just being older? But I need my rest days. I can't burn the candle at both ends. The body just says no!

The higher cardio helps everything. Resting heart rate, blood pressure, burning fat, 127 total cholesterol.

I hated running. Cycling is fun and I see more 50 year old people riding.

I talked to a guy day before yesterday about his grandkids and how he got them some bikes. I think he is in his early 60's and was just pulling in the parking area from a 25 mile ride.

I found my cardio of choice. And low impact on the joints so I do it longer.

Very positive all the way around.

• BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I've started taking to biking too. I'm just starting again so I'm not close to being in your league. However, I've found I really enjoy it more than walking or jogging. It's easier on my body but I still am getting a good workout. I also enjoy the scenery and the distance I can cover. Reminds me of riding when I was young, I lived on my bike back then.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    ^^^ I've started taking to biking too. I'm just starting again so I'm not close to being in your league. However, I've found I really enjoy it more than walking or jogging. It's easier on my body but I still am getting a good workout. I also enjoy the scenery and the distance I can cover. Reminds me of riding when I was young, I lived on my bike back then.

You popping any wheelies yet, BRaye? :) It's funny how once you get started exercising and seeing some results you start to want to do more and different exercises. I loved riding when I was a kid. Haven't had a bike in years. Should contemplate getting one.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    You popping any wheelies yet, BRaye? :) It's funny how once you get started exercising and seeing some results you start to want to do more and different exercises. I loved riding when I was a kid. Haven't had a bike in years. Should contemplate getting one.

No wheelies for me, but I am surprised at how quickly my pace has picked up. I can also really tell improvement in my leg strength. I found a bike at a local garage sale for $30 - someone's abandoned exercise commitment. I even got up an hour early today and did my ride before work, it was really enjoyable and I set a new fastest pace.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Is weight just CICO?
    Long term yes, short term weight change isn't just fat which confuses the picture - I can gain weight short term with a huge calorie deficit, I can also typically gain 1lb a day when I'm away on holiday (but only about half that is fat). Let's face it just drinking a pint of water adds a pound!

Further confusing items are that calculators are just a rough average and there's few people who are truly average - think bell curves....
    Then add that people are dreadful at logging intake accurately (just look at all the threads on the main forums "I'm only eating 1200/day and not losing" - vast majority are simply hopeless at logging).
    Then add that exercise and activity burns are estimates and most people either have blind and uneducated faith in gadgets or websites and unrealistic overestimates of their effort level.

Yes it's just CICO - but that doesn't make it simple.
    Adherence is complex and individual. My recipe for success was stopping blaming someone else for me staying fat, taking responsibility for what/how much I put in my mouth and overcoming hurdles which has prevented me from dedicating enough time to the exercise I enjoy (injuries and "me time").
    But that's my recipe and of those elements taking responsibility for how much we eat is really the only constant that applies to everyone.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Bravo!!! I keep preaching that, but sometimes I feel like I am talking to the walls. Well said.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Technically yes, but if your CI consist of beer, pizza, and donuts, you're going up reach your calorie goal very quickly, will be unlikely to be satisfied, be subject to cravings and binges, all of which diminishes your likelihood of long term success.
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    @lorrpb - What she said.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Is weight just CICO?
    Long term yes, short term weight change isn't just fat which confuses the picture - I can gain weight short term with a huge calorie deficit, I can also typically gain 1lb a day when I'm away on holiday (but only about half that is fat). Let's face it just drinking a pint of water adds a pound!

Further confusing items are that calculators are just a rough average and there's few people who are truly average - think bell curves....
    Then add that people are dreadful at logging intake accurately (just look at all the threads on the main forums "I'm only eating 1200/day and not losing" - vast majority are simply hopeless at logging).
    Then add that exercise and activity burns are estimates and most people either have blind and uneducated faith in gadgets or websites and unrealistic overestimates of their effort level.

Yes it's just CICO - but that doesn't make it simple.
    Adherence is complex and individual. My recipe for success was stopping blaming someone else for me staying fat, taking responsibility for what/how much I put in my mouth and overcoming hurdles which has prevented me from dedicating enough time to the exercise I enjoy (injuries and "me time").
    But that's my recipe and of those elements taking responsibility for how much we eat is really the only constant that applies to everyone.

As a core principal, yes, totally agree 100%, but for women there are hormones that enter the big picture and unfortunately makes the process more complex. Low estrogen alone can make a women gain weight.
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I do believe that it's basically CICO that matter in weight loss. However, I also think it matters (for each individual) where those calories come from. I've been really working hard the last couple of months and the results haven't been anything that I want. So, I'm tweaking the plan. This week I'm upping the protein and decreasing the carbs. I'm going to do this for about a month and see if the results improve. Fingers crossed!!

I also firmly believe (for me) that water is extremely necessary. If I don't drink enough water I don't see any results. I also have to exercise, because it makes me feel better and most importantly it lets me eat more food. ;)
  • marekdds
    Options
    Agreed! I really don't care for exercise. but it is no longer optional And yes, I get more food. YAY!
  • sebenza512
    sebenza512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This conversation has been delightful! I am a believer in CICO, but I eat low carb (more like low glycemic) because I can manage my blood sugar and cravings better this way. And I suspect that this also helps me discipline myself to plan meals for the week.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably complicated. Some of each. Not simple as a checking/savings account but more like a Goldman financial instrument, especially as we age. So inputs matter, and outputs matter, and finding our right individual mojito of inputs and outputs is essential!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,245 Member
    Options
    CICO is working for me so far (34 pounds down, 20-some to go). I'm 59, have been quite active for a dozen years (rowing, spinning, biking, etc.), but overweight most of my life (in the obese BMI range in recent years).

I'm waaay menopausal (went into menopause around age 45 due to chemotherapy), hypothyroid, and have bad knees (torn meniscus in one. general yuck in both).

I'm lucky enough to be retired now, which makes regular exercise easier. I miss it if I don't do it (feel cranky and generally poor), and I love, love, LOVE rowing - I do most other things just to stay in good shape for it. It would be harder to be active without that "love" thing going on. But being active didn't budge my weight - I could always, and easily, out-eat my activity level, even as a long-term (since 1974) vegetarian.

I sometimes wonder if my active life for the past decade-plus has helped my metabolism (more muscle?) so that being menopausal doesn't seem to be a problem for me. But I also didn't experience much weight gain when I was taking anti-estrogen drugs on account of the breast cancer, pre-active-life. (Just lucky for some reason, with respect to weight gain & hormones, I guess.)

It does seem like getting good sleep helps the weight loss (oh, yeah - I have sleep apnea & sleep interruption insomnia since chemo, too . . . heh).
  • camblin
    camblin Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think the inherent limits of MFP sometimes sets inconsistent goals. For example, whether I plug in .5 lbs per week or 2 pounds per week, MFP sets my calorie goals at 1200. Logic dictates that I cannot eat the same number of calories to lose two pounds as to lose half a pound. I know that as long as I eat less than 1100 calories a day and do not eat back my exercise calories (and most days, I walk/jog/step for about 2 hours) I will lose between 1.5 and 2 lbs a week. If I followed the calorie goals of MFP and relied on being able to eat back exercie calories, I am fairly sure I would stall. I think part of the trick with CICO is figuring out how your body works, and adjusting MFP recommendations to take that into account. That said, after I had part of my thyroid removed, it took a long time to figure out what dose of thyroid medicine allowed me to function properly, and for awhile, I could eat 700 calories a day and walk on the treadmill an hour each evening, and not lose an ounce.
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    camblin wrote: »
    I think the inherent limits of MFP sometimes sets inconsistent goals. For example, whether I plug in .5 lbs per week or 2 pounds per week, MFP sets my calorie goals at 1200. Logic dictates that I cannot eat the same number of calories to lose two pounds as to lose half a pound. I know that as long as I eat less than 1100 calories a day and do not eat back my exercise calories (and most days, I walk/jog/step for about 2 hours) I will lose between 1.5 and 2 lbs a week. If I followed the calorie goals of MFP and relied on being able to eat back exercie calories, I am fairly sure I would stall. I think part of the trick with CICO is figuring out how your body works, and adjusting MFP recommendations to take that into account. That said, after I had part of my thyroid removed, it took a long time to figure out what dose of thyroid medicine allowed me to function properly, and for awhile, I could eat 700 calories a day and walk on the treadmill an hour each evening, and not lose an ounce.

I have found similar things. However, I have noticed that I get more exercise calories if I lower my weight loss weekly goal. That is probably where the difference is. MFP will not allow us to go under 1200 calories a day. However, I have tried to lower my carbs and increase my protein and all I get for it is frustration. I like my carbs too much, I guess. Although I do keep it set a bit lower than what MFP sets for me. I have found that I need to keep my calories within 100 calories of the 1200 to keep up a weight loss. If I eat too many of my exercise calories back I will stall. I save those for special occasions now. Also, even though my tracking is pretty accurate (I weigh my food, etc, etc) we do eat out a couple of times a week and I figure that the uneaten exercise calories helps compensate for the hidden calories in restaurant meals.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is a real struggle to find the correct calories. Sometimes the same food and amounts will be listed at different calorie amounts. And some stuff, all you can do is estimate at best. If there is a disagreement in the database on the same food item I will plug in the higher. Still while I may be off here and there I find that tracking and keeping as accurate account of CICO is the only way I am going to be successful.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Personally, I could never do the 1200 limit. I admire those that can. I had to settle for losing slower, but I got there.
  • camblin
    camblin Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I could lose at 1500 when I started, but now if I want the scale to move, I have to stay below 1200. I don't think I eat any less, but I am always looking for ways to cut a few extra calories and have my little vices like sugar-free jello, and frozen juice pops that feel like a treat without adding a lot of calories.