Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Week 2 Day 1 finished. My time was slower than Saturday's. My perfectionist tendencies makes me want to feel bad about it. BUT, I showed up and did the best I could. That is not failing, right?

you did great.
    I've had a whole week of bad runs, but the trick is to keep going and not getting discouraged
    and distances change too. one week I had 6.1 miles, then 5.3 and then 6.5.
  • joy4strength
    joy4strength Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    Week 2 Day 1 finished. My time was slower than Saturday's. My perfectionist tendencies makes me want to feel bad about it. BUT, I showed up and did the best I could. That is not failing, right?

you did great.
    I've had a whole week of bad runs, but the trick is to keep going and not getting discouraged
    and distances change too. one week I had 6.1 miles, then 5.3 and then 6.5.

Thanks. This makes sense.
  • kat00_ca
    kat00_ca Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Started day 1 of week 4 yesterday. I felt great for the entire run although I did struggle a bit in the last 5 minutes. Mind you, my 5 min run started exactly when I went out of the shaded area so that hot sun really bothered me during that portion but it was a good mental exercise in pushing myself to keep running.
  • aleph_0
    aleph_0 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

It's not failing! You're doing fine, and I wouldn't worry too much about speed while you're doing the programme and training for endurance :) Just keep showing up and giving it your best shot!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    kat00_ca wrote: »
    Started day 1 of week 4 yesterday. I felt great for the entire run although I did struggle a bit in the last 5 minutes. Mind you, my 5 min run started exactly when I went out of the shaded area so that hot sun really bothered me during that portion but it was a good mental exercise in pushing myself to keep running.

ugh sun can be a killer
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options

That happened to me too, my time got a little slower and I felt a bit disappointed. But not too much because before this I didn't run at all! So that's a win, not a fail. Keep it up!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

Record the time for posterity but otherwise ignore it, you are trying to rebuild muscle memory, stamina and resilience. The time is irrelevant but is very hard to ignore. The first time I tried C25k I broke down due to constantly worrying about the time. The 2nd time through I took a much more relaxed attitude, it will be what it will be. Well done, good run and keep going.

• sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm not doing the C25K program per se, but I've started running on my own so I hope it's okay if I hang out with you guys.

I've NEVER thought of myself as a runner, but after getting fitter from swimming a lot this summer, I decided to give it a go--and it's been great so far! I ran two days last week and again today, so that's 3 sessions of 45 minutes each, mostly running (but still some walking). Looking forward to seeing us all become graceful marathon runners soon! :blush:
  • mbaker566
    Options
    me too, though I worried and still worry about my distance. but I can let a slow day roll off me now and move on to the next
  • sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »

Record the time for posterity but otherwise ignore it, you are trying to rebuild muscle memory, stamina and resilience. The time is irrelevant but is very hard to ignore. The first time I tried C25k I broke down due to constantly worrying about the time. The 2nd time through I took a much more relaxed attitude, it will be what it will be. Well done, good run and keep going.

Totally agree with relaxing and not stressing about time! I would always freak myself out by thinking about running. My heart rate would skyrocket, my morale would drop, and it was just counterproductive overall. Now I relax and enjoy my music or let my mind wander. So much more fun this way, and I feel better about my workouts. :)
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing so great!

I finally moved to my new apartment this past weekend. Although I graduated c25k a couple weeks ago, it was all treadmill running. Now that I live right on an amazing running trail, I reverted back to w6d1 to "redo" the program training outside. It was the perfect re-starting point and I'm looking forward to graduating in a few more weeks.

I also signed up for a 5k on October 25th and can't wait.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Everyone is doing so great!

I finally moved to my new apartment this past weekend. Although I graduated c25k a couple weeks ago, it was all treadmill running. Now that I live right on an amazing running trail, I reverted back to w6d1 to "redo" the program training outside. It was the perfect re-starting point and I'm looking forward to graduating in a few more weeks.

I also signed up for a 5k on October 25th and can't wait.

awesome B)
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    W6 D3 done. Yes! I did much more than the 2.25 miles. A total of 4.73 miles. Glutes felt it a bit, but excited.
  • faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    W8D1 and W8D2 done! After a couple of less than desirable weeks, I'm happy to be back to feeling good about my runs! I feel like I need to increase my yoga during the week because my leg muscles feel really tight during my runs.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    W2D2 done! I actually picked up the pace on the last repeat and started to actually run, not just jog slowly. I had a big smile on my face and it felt good. And then I was worn out. I have never run before in my life and not wanted to cry, so I am very proud of myself.
  • snha
    Options
    @katharmonic it feels great, doesn't it? Excellent work.
  • snha
    Options
    @faithan84 I am feeling these runs in my muscles. I've never practiced yoga though, is any particular art of yoga better for running than others?
  • endlessenigma
    endlessenigma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Yay! Congratulations! I feel ya. I just finished W2D1 and I feel great. Though I will say that I'm a bit shifty-eyed that I am actual running which is something I never thought possible! Such a great feeling.
  • TurquoiseViolet
    TurquoiseViolet Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    W1D2 done, treadmill on .5 incline, 1.7 miles, averaged 3.4mph

W1D1 was Sunday, no incline, 1.9 miles, averaged 3.8 mph
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    me too, though I worried and still worry about my distance. but I can let a slow day roll off me now and move on to the next
    That's the best attitude to have. As a MFP friend said in another forum some days it's " Average, Great or just get it done". The best advice I ever received when I started running was "Don't worry about the distance or time, slow down to a more comfortable pace where you could carry on a conversation ( sing along to your music ) with someone beside you and run to the next landmark, evaluate how you feel, make a small pace adjustment and pick out your next landmark". Put in the base time/miles/kilometers and you will improve. My 5km speed can vary from a slow Get it done 36 minutes to a Great PB of 28 minutes, its still 5km the time doesn't really matter.
    You are all doing Great and I am looking forward to see you start popping up in some of the other Running forums, Monthly Challenges once you have achieved your C25K or B10K.