Resistant Starch and beans?

Options
pennell12
pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
Hi all,

Just got a new book called "The End of Diabetes" by Joel Furham, M.D. He claims that lchf is dangerous due to too much animal fats and protein. He advocates what he calls Resistant Starch in the form of beans and nuts.

What do you all think?

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll play... Dangerous how?
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I believe everyone is entitled to eek out a living. All authors deserve a payday.
    I'm also of the belief one person's science could be another person's fiction.

My diabetes sees beans as carbs and should be avoided. Nuts hurt my teeth so
    I can't tell what they do to my diabetes.

Over the last few months I've "written my own book" its called "My Food Log"
    It's under public domain here at MFP, it tells the story of
    how I got my diabetes under control.
    It's a simple read but I like it.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    What do I think? I think eating plants and plant products in any amount beyond seasoning or medicinal amounts is harmful. The best food for humans is animal fats and proteins. Hmm, I should write my own book and make money.
  • KenSmith108
    edited September 2015
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    What do I think? I think eating plants and plant products in any amount beyond seasoning or medicinal amounts is harmful. The best food for humans is animal fats and proteins. Hmm, I should write my own book and make money.

:smiley: There you go! :smiley:
    :smiley: Fame & Fortune :smiley:

• KenSmith108
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    Ok, I'll play... Dangerous how?

Something to somebody could be dangerous.

If I were trying to sell a book I'd want a very eye catching title.

Controversy sells well.

• fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My girl friend lost 40 or 50 pounds with his mostly vegan diet. She's gained most of it back a year later - from the over-consumption of nuts. (I think.) It's interesting that since I started eating more meat, I am no longer craving nuts. I think that most of the health benefits that people see from his program is the (almost total) reduction of grain in their diet.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    OP, do you have specific concerns that are pushing you towards Fuhrman? If so, maybe we can help.

But if you're leaning towards a veggie approach, Fuhrman's probably better than most. At least he's low sugar and low grains, so you'll get some benefit from that. And it's hard to gain weight just by eating a ton of veggies, so you'll probably lose weight, and that'll help too.

As far as resistant starches, the idea is that they're low GI and they feed your gut bacteria. I don't know about you, but when I feed my gut bacteria too much, I bloat and fart. Not my idea of a good time. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    My fats from meat most days are currently from three strips of bacon. I think many many many people confuse LCHF with LCHP. In my case I really have to keep my protein around 70 grams daily to keep from getting knocked out of ketosis or at least dent it. Selling books is hard I am sure.
  • pennell12
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    OP, do you have specific concerns that are pushing you towards Fuhrman? If so, maybe we can help.

But if you're leaning towards a veggie approach, Fuhrman's probably better than most. At least he's low sugar and low grains, so you'll get some benefit from that. And it's hard to gain weight just by eating a ton of veggies, so you'll probably lose weight, and that'll help too.

As far as resistant starches, the idea is that they're low GI and they feed your gut bacteria. I don't know about you, but when I feed my gut bacteria too much, I bloat and fart. Not my idea of a good time. :)

I am not saying I plan to follow Furham's diet. I was just wondering what people think. He says fish has no benefit at all which surprised me and we should all be following a plant based diet. I was also curious about the concept of "resistant starch" and what folks think about it. That's all.

• pennell12
    Options
    My girl friend lost 40 or 50 pounds with his mostly vegan diet. She's gained most of it back a year later - from the over-consumption of nuts. (I think.) It's interesting that since I started eating more meat, I am no longer craving nuts. I think that most of the health benefits that people see from his program is the (almost total) reduction of grain in their diet.

I just happened to see his book in my local bookstore. He is a low carb advocate but not a high fat or protein advocate. He says too much animal protein can hurt the kidneys and too much saturated far causes heart problems. This is not what I have read recently from other lc proponents. Just curious.

• nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    If he is stil pushing the 'dietary saturated fat' causes heart problems he needs to update his scientific research - that has been proven untrue. Now hi fat combined with hi sugar and hi carbs - that's another story.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Jimmy Moore has a few opinions: http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/if-this-is-how-i-eat-to-live-then-kill-me-now/832

:) I agree, let's just publish our food logs and rake in the bucks!
  • pennell12
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    Jimmy Moore has a few opinions: http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/if-this-is-how-i-eat-to-live-then-kill-me-now/832

I am not a Furham apologist. This is basocally a vegan diet that is low carb. It might work for some people.

• FIT_Goat
    Options
    pennell12 wrote: »

I am not a Furham apologist. This is basocally a vegan diet that is low carb. It might work for some people.

We have several vegetarian and vegan members of this group. So, in that respect, I will say that it does work for some people. I certainly don't think animal fats and proteins are harmful, in any way. So, if someone was convinced they need to try and do this in a vegetarian/vegan manner only because they've been led to believe eating animals will harm them, then I would hope they realize the truth.

For many people here, this way of eating is hard enough at the start. It is even harder when you're convinced that the staple foods (for most people) are actively unhealthy. There's nothing harmful about meat. If you don't want to eat it for ethical, taste, or other reasons then that's fine. If you're only avoiding it because you think meat will kill you, you've been misinformed.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

Fuhrman is low carb? I think he might disagree with you. His diet can be pretty high carb, but the carbs are usually low GI.

• FIT_Goat
    Options
    From his site: https://www.drfuhrman.com/weightloss/compare.aspx
    The Nutritarian diet style incorporates the three basic, irrefutable facts about diet and health for the greatest likelihood of weight loss success and superior health even in one’s later years of life:
    • Vegetables, beans, fruit, nuts and seeds are good for you.
    • Excessive amounts of meat or other animal products cause disease.
    • Eliminating refined carbohydrates will aid in sustainable weight loss and overall health.

He claims those three statements are basic and irrefutable facts, but they're not. They're just strongly held opinions that he has. While I might agree with the last opinion, the first two have little to no basis in science. Actually, the way the second one is worded is flat out wrong. Even if there was a strong relationship between eating animal products and disease (which there isn't), there's no research strong enough to be able to claim that they "cause" disease. People who carry lighters are more likely to be smokers. Carrying lighters doesn't cause people to become smokers.

The first one is pure speculation and is based off of misleading studies. Most studies that show increasing vegetables, beans, fruits, nut, and seeds in the diet as beneficial don't account for the fact that these foods typically replace the highly processed "junk" foods and refined carbohydrates in someone's diet. What he claims are irrefutable facts, remain nothing more than opinion.

Of course, if he said his diet was based on "three basic, strongly held opinions about diet and health," he wouldn't be very good at marketing his diet.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Excessive amounts of most anything can cause negative results. :)
  • pennell12
    Options
    Again, I am not a fan of Furham but just read his book. He cites many studies to support his claims. I have read other studies that say the opposite. As a TT2 diabetic, My bottom line concern is how to deal with this disease in the best way possible. That;s why I am seeking out all of your opinons. I had never heard of this guy before I picked up his book. I have read a LOT from others who are lchf proponets and am trying to follow that.

PLease don't shoot the messenger here but he also claims that Keto diets can cause heart problems and people have died from them. This really scared me.

If anything, I am just looking for some reassurance that this is not correct. I cannot live as a a Vegan though I prere not to eat a lot of red meat. Just never liked it.
  • pennell12
    Options
    I am also interested in the concept of Resistant Starch and if anyone here works with that? I have read a few posts here and there about it.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited September 2015
    Options
    PLease don't shoot the messenger here but he also claims that Keto diets can cause heart problems and people have died from them. This really scared me.

I have no idea what he is referencing with that claim. Most people see vast improvements in cardiovascular health markers when eating keto (increased HDL, decreased trigs, etc.) and don't have problems. The only thing I can think this relates to might be the electrolyte issues some people have at the start. That is, you might have low potassium, magnesium, and sodium. Those are important for proper heart functioning. So, it's probably smart to supplement those during adaptation.

It helps to remember that cholesterol and heart disease are not strongly linked until the numbers are just insane (way, way higher than even the numbers typically considered too high). High triglycerides combined with low HDL seem to be strong indicators that something is wrong, although we can't be sure that they cause it and aren't just a symptom of something else happening.

Edit: Here's more on this: http://www.livestrong.com/article/536384-ketogenic-diet-and-heart-failure/
    Studies indicate that the original ketogenic diet can initiate a heart condition, whereas the weight-loss version reduces the risk factors for heart disease. This suggests that overweight individuals with heart failure may benefit from following the weight-loss version of the ketogenic diet. Following the original diet, however, could present a risk for heart patients.
    If anything, I am just looking for some reassurance that this is not correct. I cannot live as a a Vegan though I prere not to eat a lot of red meat. Just never liked it.

It's not correct. It's not at all correct. He has an agenda that he's trying to push.