Resistant Starch and beans?

Options
2»

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    pennell12 wrote: »
    he also claims that Keto diets can cause heart problems and people have died from them. This really scared me.

There are many ways to implement "keto." Some of the early medical implementations were extreme and caused the body to waste important minerals, like selenium. A selenium deficiency can cause heart problems. People around here get plenty by eating eggs, for example.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist put me on meat-based keto because of my heart and my lab numbers have consistently dropped although I eat meat pretty much every meal. I would suggest Fuhrman's misinformed or working from his own bias. That's not to say the resistant starches aren't a good idea, but they aren't a cure-all or "the best" diet. The body is a complex chemistry set and each one works a little differently. To claim any diet is the best neglects this basic fact.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I have it. Read it

I took the good on eating more fibrous food and nuts

Left the rest.

• pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think this relates to might be the electrolyte issues some people have at the start. That is, you might have low potassium, magnesium, and sodium. Those are important for proper heart functioning. So, it's probably smart to supplement those during adaptation.

Yes, this is what he was referring to I think, Heart Rhythm things. Would a multivitamin be enough to supplement these things?
  • pennell12
    Options
    I have it. Read it

I took the good on eating more fibrous food and nuts

Left the rest.

Thanks!

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Would a multivitamin be enough to supplement these things?

Depends on the multivitamin and each person's nutritional needs. In my case, no. I take 3 Rx strength per day (I had WLS and have malabsorption) and I still had to add sodium, potassium, and magnesium supps. I was ok with 3 per day until I went into keto, then I needed to supplement. I always recommend you go to your doctor and get a blood panel done. Bloodwork sucks, but it'll tell you what you need to do, especially if you have other issues that excess micros might exacerbate.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think this relates to might be the electrolyte issues some people have at the start. That is, you might have low potassium, magnesium, and sodium. Those are important for proper heart functioning. So, it's probably smart to supplement those during adaptation.

Yes, this is what he was referring to I think, Heart Rhythm things. Would a multivitamin be enough to supplement these things?

Not for sodium. Just eat salty food. You only lose potassium if you lose too much sodium.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    One of Furhman's problems is he links most of his arguments against animal products to the China "Study" (my quotes). It is actually a survey with many variables for interpretation.
  • fastforlife1
    Options
    I just found this on La Vida Low Carb: "One of my Keto Clarity experts Dr. William Davis said people on a ketogenic diet can get an adequate amount of indigestible fibers to feed their gut flora while maintaining a proper therapeutic level of nutritional ketosis doing the things he shared in that except from my book above. Dr. Rosedale noted in my Keto Clarity podcast interview with him that it’s unnecessary to resort to resistant starch as has become in vogue lately to feed the microbiome. The fiber content of non-starchy vegetables provide a smorgasbord of food to feed the gut bugs without the insulin spike that accompanies such an approach. While it is indeed resistant, upwards of half of the carbohydrate content still impacts the metabolism raising blood sugar and insulin levels–making it less-than-ideal for a ketogenic dieter to be consuming. Instead, opt for the fibrous low-carb veggies to get the benefits of feeding the microbiota without the harmful blood sugar and insulin response."
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    Jimmy Moore has a few opinions: http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/if-this-is-how-i-eat-to-live-then-kill-me-now/832

:) I agree, let's just publish our food logs and rake in the bucks!

I am not a Furham apologist. This is basocally a vegan diet that is low carb. It might work for some people.

I wouldn't say it's low carb, per se, just whole plant food, low animal food focused. Given the amount of fruit, it can't possibly be low carb.

And probably a pretty healthy way to eat. There are many healthy ways to eat. The key for most of us is finding what works best for us, for our bodies. And that may change with time.

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I just found this on La Vida Low Carb: "One of my Keto Clarity experts Dr. William Davis said people on a ketogenic diet can get an adequate amount of indigestible fibers to feed their gut flora while maintaining a proper therapeutic level of nutritional ketosis doing the things he shared in that except from my book above. Dr. Rosedale noted in my Keto Clarity podcast interview with him that it’s unnecessary to resort to resistant starch as has become in vogue lately to feed the microbiome. The fiber content of non-starchy vegetables provide a smorgasbord of food to feed the gut bugs without the insulin spike that accompanies such an approach. While it is indeed resistant, upwards of half of the carbohydrate content still impacts the metabolism raising blood sugar and insulin levels–making it less-than-ideal for a ketogenic dieter to be consuming. Instead, opt for the fibrous low-carb veggies to get the benefits of feeding the microbiota without the harmful blood sugar and insulin response."

That is my diet

High fiber veggies and meat.

I used to think meat was the key but an adequate amount of veggies is key for me to get. I easily get protein since I like it.

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Just had to Google "resistant starch" because before this post I hadn't heard of it. I would like to know if anyone has tried adding more to their diet and have noticed positive results in regards to blood sugar readings.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I'm curious (not trolling), how do vegans do LC. I eat meat so it's foreign to me.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Just had to Google "resistant starch" because before this post I hadn't heard of it. I would like to know if anyone has tried adding more to their diet and have noticed positive results in regards to blood sugar readings.

I can only say my bg#s have come down reducing carbs.
    I not willing to add carbs to see if they go down further, or even stay the same.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm curious (not trolling), how do vegans do LC. I eat meat so it's foreign to me.

Low carb vegans are few and far between, and what I've seen suggest that it's still higher carb than most of us here do, but it boils down to a fair bit of soy and some nuts.
    Hi all,

Just got a new book called "The End of Diabetes" by Joel Furham, M.D. He claims that lchf is dangerous due to too much animal fats and protein. He advocates what he calls Resistant Starch in the form of beans and nuts.

What do you all think?

Frankly, I think Furhman's a jerk who resorts to ad hominem attacks and attempts at character assassination whenever he's challenged. Case and point, his responses to Chris Masterjohn regarding the health and longevity of the Inuit (Furhman also has at least one article dedicated to

Also, both Furhman and Campbell seem to think that "low animal products" equates to "no animal products."

Also, as others have pointed out, his primary source is the China Study, which has been debunked numerous times. His website appears to have numerous citations per article, but when you actually follow them, they're nearly all to other articles he's written. I followed a few once (on his diseaseproof site) and never did find the original sources/studies backing his claims. The things he does cite that aren't his own stuff either back the strawmen he's built (see Atkins/Paleo claim below) or are only tangentially related to the claims he's making (and that's not even getting into the validity of the studies, which, if you've been around this group for any length of time, you'll know that the vast majority of the nutritional studies are fatally flawed to the point of being invalid).

He also claims Atkins and Paleo are "low carb, high protein" diets, which they are most certainly not. Atkins is LCHF, and Paleo's macronutrient ratios are completely individualized.

But what about the testimonials that his diet works? That's simple -- anything other than SAD is an improvement. Anything that encourages whole foods is a vast improvement. It's also why vegan and vegetarian and Mediterranean and fruitarian and Paleo and carnivore all have pretty much the same amount of improvement across the board. The question then becomes -- of the people who stay on a given diet for years, who retains those health benefits, who at least stay level, and whose health declines?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

r/vegetarianketo has some threads where people do it as vegans. I thought there was a whole subreddit for it, but I can't find it anymore. It's probably not easy, but people manage it. Lots and lots of plant oils and high fiber veggies (I would guess).
  • fastforlife1
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    The question then becomes -- of the people who stay on a given diet for years, who retains those health benefits, who at least stay level, and whose health declines?[/quote]

Now that would be an interesting study.

• pennell12
    Options
    I think it would be pretty hard to stick with Furham's diet.