Super Salad September!

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,878 Member
    Terri that bisque sounds tasty. Let us know the recipe if it's good.

Sabine the salad sounds delightful. I could make it with some cashews or something rather than cheese. I am not a fan of raw kale though (love it cooked), do they do anything to soften it up?

Met a friend after work for a couple drinks, so today was not totally ETL, but it was fun. I haven't seen her for months. We had a lot of catching up to do! But food-wise I was right on track today so I'm content.

• coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    I found the BEST salad at my work! kale, garbanzo, cabbage, almond and feta. I'm loving it. It comes with a balsamic. Sometimes I add a can of sardines instead of the balsamic, or salmon (my menopause diet), sometimes I eat as is.

Sounds good! I like to add sardines to my salads too, especially with balsamic as a dressing. I find the balsamic goes great with sardines.
  • coueswhitetail
    Thought you all might like this simple broccoli soup recipe. I hope to make it http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2KR44a_5v_A
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Coues! Nice to see you, how are you doing? Thanks for the recipe.

Mihani, that sounds like a nice break in the busy week! I'm sure you're right back to it today.

I've had a good first week back to ETL and feel much better. The scale doesn't reflect that, which was upsetting, but I'm trying to take the high ground and just keep on. I do feel better and want to keep feeling better. I actually signed up for the Happy Herbivore meal plans for a month to try. Has anyone tried them? It's all plant-based recipes and she gives you a shopping list, recipes, and tells you how to batch cook for the whole week in a few hours. I'm going to try it out this Sunday. I love streamlining the process! And something new makes the food more exciting too.

Terry, let us know how the dishes turned out.
    Sabine, awesome to find a go-to salad you love!

Karrie, I agree with Mihani, you have solidified my resolve to never do a Tough Mudder haha. But I am all the more impressed. I think it's a huge mental feat as much as physical by the sounds of it!

TGIF lovelies :) Anyone up to anything exciting this weekend? They are hosting the annual Vegan Fest this weekend in Toronto which I hope to check out (although it's supposed to rain, boo).
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    liapr wrote: »
    it's a huge mental feat

Yeah, that's really what it is... You have to stay focused and determined on finishing. It is very tempting to quit...
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    The Broccoli Mushroom Bisque is a big hit. We just finished it for dinner. I add thanksgiving spices,
    fresh rosemary, thyme, oregano, black pepper. Was very yummy.

Broccoli Mushroom Bisque
    www.DrFuhrman.com

Serves: 4
    Preparation Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
    1 head broccoli, cut into florets
    8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
    3 carrots, coarsely chopped
    1 cup coarsely chopped celery
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons Dr. Fuhrman's VegiZest (or 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash no-salt seasoning blend)
    2 cups carrot juice
    4 cups water
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/2 cup raw cashews
    1/2 cup Mediterranean pine nuts or additional cashews
    Instructions:
    Place all the ingredients except the cashews and pine nuts in a soup pot. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.

In a food processor or high powered blender, blend two-thirds of the soup liquid and vegetables with the cashews and pine nuts until smooth and creamy. Return to the pot and reheat before serving.

Note: If desired, pecans may be substituted for the cashews.

Had a flawless fuhrman week. :smiley: and down 3 lbs. Yeah!!!!! Starting to feel better so gonna try to go to the gym on Sunday.

Mahini: you night sounded fun.

Lai: hang in there the scale will budge.

Have a fun Friday night.
  • coueswhitetail
    Liapr.....I am well.....I still check in periodically, its just hard to keep up with everyone's posts....I don't post much but I check in on you guys even if I am not posting.....thanks for the bisque recipe tdh!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    - some people got hypothermic disorientation and wandered off course and ended up at the WalMart.

karrie - Those people did not get 'wander' off course to end up at the WalMart. They just saw 2 choices. One, full of mud, ice and hills, and the other with all of life's comforts. All of them. Under a roof, with heat. :huh:

You are one tough woman. Congratulations. You now know you have no limitations. Except perhaps, for electric shock therapy.

• tdh1991
    Happy Sunday night

Had a really strict weekend. I am starting to feel much better. :) Back at the gym today for a light workout and I still feel pretty good.

Wanted to share what I made for dinner was a big hit. Super yummy.

Lemon Cauliflower Risotto
    Chef Martin Oswald

Preparation Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
    1/2 onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1/2 cup low-sodium or no-salt-added vegetable broth
    6 cups very finely chopped cauliflower florets (tops of florets only, not stems)
    1/2 organic lemon, juiced and zested (I used juice of 2 lemons should have added zest)
    1 cup roasted red bell peppers, sliced
    1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
    2 cups spinach, finely sliced
    4 tablespoons raw almond butter ( way to expensive used teddi chuncky peanutbutter)
    2 tablespoons sliced chives, divided
    2 tablespoons raw almonds, chopped (did not add)

Add:

1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
    1/2 tsp orange curry powder

In addition to the chopped almonds, add a sprinkling of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seed, and a few "squirts" of Sriracha hot chili sauce.
    Instructions:
    Saute the onion and garlic in a stainless pot without water, stirring often until golden brown, about 7 minutes.

Add the vegetable broth and cauliflower and saute for 3 minutes. Add all other ingredients except the almonds and 1 tablespoon chives and cook for 3 more minutes or until cauliflower is al dente. Sprinkle the almonds and remaining chives over the risotto.

Per Serving:
    CALORIES 245; PROTEIN 10g; CARBOHYDRATES 18g; TOTAL FAT 17.1g; SATURATED FAT 1.7g; SODIUM 88mg; FIBER 7.4g; BETA-CAROTENE 943ug; VITAMIN C 167mg; CALCIUM 134mg; IRON 2.2mg; FOLATE 137ug; MAGNESIUM 102mg; ZINC 1.6mg; SELENIU
  • Mihani
    Recipes sound good Terri, thanks. Glad you're feeling better.

Busy weekend at the office, and a busy week coming up. It never ends. Or even lightens up a little.
  • Phoenix4me18
    Phoenix4me18 Posts: 133 Member
    Hi all! Whew. I think we might be into a bit of a more normal pattern with the family. Hopefully things will stay quiet for a while. My Grandma came home from the hospital and is on the road to recovery. She has some physical therapy to work through and a lot of dietary issues (she just found out about her diabetes) but, I think my Grandpa has a really good handle on things. He is taking care of her to the point of driving her nuts, so, as long as he is around she won't be trying to do anything silly. Now, if we can only get my aunt to stop sneaking homemade cookies to the diabetic we will be fine. GEESH!

Everything else has been relatively quiet. I feel like I have hit the "zone" right now of a pretty decent balance which is a nice feeling. I have enlisted a health coach to help get my food back on track, help keep it there and basically be a cheerleader as I finally work my way down the scale. She is truly a breath of fresh air, is extremely enthusiastic and is someone who has lost a considerable amount of weight and kept it off for years now. I am hoping having someone like that in my corner will help keep things going and help me stay focused on my smaller goals and not get overwhelmed by the ultimate goal weight. It was really good to hear that I was doing so much right already when it comes to things like water and exercise.

I hope everyone is doing well. Now that things are calming down a little hopefully I can be around a bit more.
  • liapr
    edited September 2015
    Mihani, I always feel worried for you - it seems to never lighten up! I'm not sure how you are still going, Ms. Energizer Bunny. Hope you're doing okay...

Terri, thanks for the recipe. I also had a strict weekend! My first in weeks/months/(years?!) lol. It felt so good to actually make it through a weekend without kicking myself at the end of it. I feel better and am trying to rely on that for reinforce my efforts (stupid scale).

I went to a vegan fest last night which was really cool! Lots and lots of cupcakes and brownies which I miraculously avoided. My friend and I ended up trying this amazing African vegan vendor - we had channa curry, rice + kidney beans, and collards/onions. It was delish and filling, especially in the cold drizzle!

I made my first attempt at the meal plans, which went so well. I made 5 meals in 2.5 hours!! I love it. I feel ready for the week :)
  • whats_her_name
    Lia, how's the Happy Herbivore meal plan? I went to the website to check it out, and it all looks very interesting - I'm wondering how you're finding it??

I had a busy weekend, as usual. We're back to working on the treehouse. It's not quite winter-ready yet - we need to seal it off 100% on the outside so that no critters claim it for their winter home...

Next spring we get to continue on with the fun by finishing the inside...

Anyway, when we got home from the cabin yesterday, I spent a good 90 minutes in the grocery store stocking up on all my veggies and other supplies. I'm going to have a OSG cooking spree all week. I'm making 2 different dishes every night - including a bunch of new ones I've not tried yet. I'm gonna stock up my freezer so I'm good and prepped!

I found pomegranates at the grocery store too, so I made up some of my favorite overnight oats. mmm...... It was so tasty this morning!

My Favorite Overnight Oats:
    1/2 cup almond milk
    1/2 cup oats
    1 tbsp ground flax seeds
    2 tbsp pure maple syrup
    1/2 cup pomegranage seeds
    1 tbsp cocoa nibs

mmmmmm.... you've gotta try it!

I don't have my cookbook with me right now, so I can't remember what the recipes are called, but I'm making the tomato sauce with mushrooms (it's so tasty!) -- I'm getting some spaghetti squash from a friend at work later this week, so I need my sauce ready!! My second dish for tonight is a new one I'm trying -- it's the noodle bowl with edamame and peanut butter sauce -- sorry, I should have brought my cookbook so I'd know what the heck it's called! I'm looking forward to it, because the picture looks so good!!

I've gotta wash & cut all the rest of my veggies for lunches - didn't get a chance to do that last night. So I'm just gonna hafta settle for a salad out somewhere today.

I also bought Poblano peppers -- I can't remember who posted the recipe, but it was awhile back, someone posted about Mexican Lentils. They have always appealed to me. I'm excited to FINALLY try them later this week too!!

I wish you all a wonderful week!!

• tdh1991
    Hi All,

I am still going strong, not even a slip up Yeah!. Yeah for you Lia :)

Next weekend will be a challenge. We are going to visit my son in Rochester and go the Patirots/Buffalo game next Sunday. Gonna have to figure that one out, will be challenging. The following weekend we are off to Nashville and Memphis. Busy times but fun.

I just ordered Dr Fuhrman's book Eating and Fasting for health--following this is suppose to help with imflamation. Will let you know what think after reading and following the program.

Karrie your tree house project sound fun. Right now I am in awe of you. I posted the receipe and it is delicious.
    I love love love pablano peppers.

Mexican Lentils
    www.DrFuhrman.com

Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
    1 cup lentils, uncooked
    1 cup frozen or fresh corn
    1 cup low sodium tomato sauce
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
    jalapeno or chilli peppers
    (server over polenta squares or stuff in peppers)

Instructions:
    Boil the lentils in 2 cups of water for 30 minutes and drain. Add corn, tomato sauce, onion, cumin powder and chili powder and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro.

Note: For an interesting variation, stuff into halved Poblano chili peppers.
    We love this recipe! I cut 2-3 poblano peppers lengthwise, and then stuff the mixture into each half. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
    Per Serving:
    CALORIES 241; PROTEIN 15g; CARBOHYDRATES 45g; TOTAL FAT 1g; SATURATED FAT 0.2g; SODIUM 14mg; FIBER 17.2g; BETA-CAROTENE 243ug; VITAMIN C 16mg; CALCIUM
  • Mihani
    Work is crazy as usual, I will catch up tomorrow. Boss is leaving town so we're scrambling to get a few things covered before he takes off.
  • Phoenix4me18
    Hi all. Great day yesterday. Food all on track, great 45 minute walk (at a faster speed!) as planned and lots of water. Really feeling great about the refreshed focus I have. So good I am going to reinstate weekly weigh ins. Having the monthly ones were nice as I was getting a bit obsessed with the scale and letting it rule my life. But, I feel like I am ready to get back to doing it a bit more regularly.

We got the dreaded call from the school nurse yesterday. Our youngest officially brought home a stomach virus. DH said when he got to the school one of the other boys our son runs around the neighborhood with was leaving the school ill as well. DD came home and informed us the friend she sits next to on the bus went home ill as well. Guess it is the season already. Our poor little guy took a nap when I got home from work, then was snuggled in bed by 8:30. As I tucked him in he looked up at me with big sad brown eyes and asked "can you please take tomorrow off?" Needless to day I am working from home today. I can't say no to that. After several checks overnight and this morning he is still running a pretty high fever. I hate it when the kids are sick. Just breaks my heart that I can't make it better for them.

Tonight is a soccer night for DD, which means a crock pot dinner and a nice long walk outside. I am looking forward to the walk. I need to keep working to find a way to stop getting blisters on the balls of my feet. So far new shoes and new socks have helped (smaller blisters) but, it would be nice to get to the point of just not having them.

Lia - the vegan fest sounds fun! So does the food you ate.

Karrie - a tree house??? Oh my gosh, how fun!! I am writing down the overnight oats recipe to try. I have been fixing these lately as well and love trying new ones. I get a lot of my recipes off of mywholefoodlife.com. She has a nice collection that the kids love too. Your cooking/prep plans for the week sound great!

tdh - you do have a busy couple of weeks ahead of you! Good luck at the game. I wish I had some advice on that one. Hope you have a great time!

Mihani - I hope among all the crazy busy work life you are able to find brief moments of calm. Whether it is on your commute or a brief moment at night. I can't imagine working a constantly crazy schedule. Hang in there.

Alrighty, need to go check in on the kiddo and eat breakfast. Will check back in later.
  • Phoenix4me18
    Morning all! Up at 5:45 to get in a workout before the day got crazy. LOVE morning workouts! Got in a solid hour on the treadmill which felt great. Last night was soccer night for DD and I spent an hour walking laps around the soccer park. I was able to walk my 6 laps faster and got them done in under an hour - which, is a super improvement! I have been killing my exercise and food lately and it showed on the scale with 4 POUND gone in the last week!! I am so happy! Looks like all the changes I have made lately are really paying off. Nice to finally have movement in a positive way.

Not much else to report. The youngest headed back to school today, so, hopefully he will be the only one to come down with the virus and we can keep everyone else healthy. We are still on "baby watch" for my youngest sister. Her official due date is Friday and the doctor has said if she doesn't go into labor by the 25th she will be induced then. We are all really just waiting for the call at this point. I have no doubt it is going to be a race to see who can get there first to see the baby. lol

Hope everyone is well and having great days.
  • whats_her_name
    NewMe9597 wrote: »
    Morning all! Up at 5:45 to get in a workout .... LOVE morning workouts! Got in a solid hour on the treadmill which felt great.
    ...I was able to walk my 6 laps faster and got them done in under an hour ... it showed on the scale with 4 POUND gone in the last week!!

That all sounds WONDERFUL!! YAHOO!!

I love getting my workouts finished in the mornings too. Feels so productive!!

• liapr
    Laura, your poor little guy! Glad he is feeling better. Congrats on the loss, that is HUGE!!! Wooohoooo!! Nice to see the work is paying off!!

Karrie, those overnight oats sound yummy! I am looking at trying some new ones. The meal plan actually has a Big Book of Breakfasts and there are some ONO on there I want to try - I'll report back once I do! I actually really like the meal plan. If nothing else, I'm excited about my healthy eating again. But I honestly can't get over how happy I am with the time portion; I don't have to make any meals during the week except the odd breakfast and I've been enjoying the food (I was worried I wouldn't, but I do). I think she does a 1 week meal plan for free too if you want to try it out! I'm going to mix in some other recipes next week though.

Terri, those mexican lentils sound awesome - they are on my list for next week!

Mihani, hang in there!!

I am down two pounds today too, woohoo!!! Finally!!! I am keeping on keeping on. Also I tried a new smoothie today: Spinach, pineapple banana, mango and water. It was light and refreshing and I could hide a lot of spinach! LOl.
  • tdh1991
    Long 12 hour day at work so busy. Had a hard time getting to 1000 cal today. Tomorrow is a new day. Eating so many vegetables is challenging. Off to sleep.

Good night