Is it really just Calories In, Calories Out? What do you think?

Options

Replies

• golfmonk
    golfmonk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »

I agree with all that; I think most people do not have a clue on how much one really eats. I know from personal experience that I have eaten at least 3,000 calories a day days on end when I was gaining weight. Using a food scale and tracking made me realize (and correct) the number of calories taken in on a daily basic and allowed me to properly lose weight (approximately 60 pounds).

I have been in maintenance mode for about a year and track my body weight daily. If I get outside a -/+ 5 pound range, then I take action otherwise I record my food and enjoy my life!

YMMV.

JB
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's a good discussion, though.
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I just want to point out that there have been several MFP blogs lately on this subject, most saying that the type of calories do matter. I am also beginning to think that for some reason that strict CICO works a bit better for a man than a woman. My DH lost 50 pounds doing CICO only on MFP and without breaking a sweat and has been on maintenance for two years. Like golfmonk he just simply adjusts his calories and can easily maintain his target weight. For me it has not been that simple. I have to fight for every pound after I lost my first 90 pounds using just CICO. And yes, I weigh everything in grams and record diligently. As I mentioned above, I am going to try a lower carb diet when we return from vacation. It will be interesting to see if that changes anything with my weight loss.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I think women's mileage does vary. When we are young, our cycles cause flux. When we are mature, our lack of cycles cause flux. Of course, it isn't the only contributor. Having children can do a number on one's body. And, apparently, so can not having children. We just have more complicated physiologies and are not just smaller men who should get results from the same methods men use.. It can all ne overcome, in regards to weight, but it does take more effort and is a right pain in the *kitten*.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    HA. I typed in a r s e and it put little stars in its place. And I used that word cause I figured it was more acceptable!
  • KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I wish we had a universally easy and accurate way of measuring body fat. I think that is the one missing component in determining both CI and CO....after all, fat doesn't need or burn calories, but lean matter does. Yet it seems that all programs start with just weight in determining CICO. A woman my age, height, and weight should have different calorie requirements at 30% fat than at 40% yet that doesn't seem to get taken into account.
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I love the video. I live by his 'study of 1' theory. A good lawyer won't ask a question without knowing the answer. A person losing weight can use the same approach. If I am going to lose weight and keep it off, I am doing something forever. This is not a temporary thing. Forever provides ample time for experiments. If I have a question and can conceive of a way to answer that question, I would much rather answer my question by experience. My agenda is to do what's best for me. No one else has this agenda.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    KerryITD wrote: »
    I wish we had a universally easy and accurate way of measuring body fat. I think that is the one missing component in determining both CI and CO....after all, fat doesn't need or burn calories, but lean matter does. Yet it seems that all programs start with just weight in determining CICO. A woman my age, height, and weight should have different calorie requirements at 30% fat than at 40% yet that doesn't seem to get taken into account.

@KerryITD
    Ref the bolded part - that's not actually true.

Fat cells do require energy to maintain themselves, about 2 cals / pound / day.
    Compared to about 6 cals / pound / day for muscle.

Not a great difference really, nothing like as significant as the bro science merchants in the gym would tell you!
    Now if you could add a few pounds of kidney or heart at 400 cals/lb/day that would be handy. :)

There are TDEE formulas that take body fat percentage into account but as you say it's hard and/or expensive to get accurate BF% estimates.

• KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @sijomial, that's cool, I did not know that. Glad my fat cells aren't *complete* slackers, lol.
  • Mccmack
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »

This article is obnoxious
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    Part of me wants to believe it's all CICO but then I see folks like my brother-in-law... He's about the same age as me, a couple of inches shorter and he is svelte despite the fact that each day, he eats twice as much as me. Seriously. He never gains an ounce. sigh...

Thin people can have clogged arteries too. I hope he is really healthy.

E.

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,926 Member
    Options
    E_Brault wrote: »
    UncleMac wrote: »
    Part of me wants to believe it's all CICO but then I see folks like my brother-in-law... He's about the same age as me, a couple of inches shorter and he is svelte despite the fact that each day, he eats twice as much as me. Seriously. He never gains an ounce. sigh...

Thin people can have clogged arteries too. I hope he is really healthy.

E.
    So far, so good. At family events, he is usually one of the first to start eating and always the last to finish...
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Uncle Mac,

When I first met my former sister in-law she looked 20 years younger than she was actually! The whole family seemed wired that way. Upon my divorce, my former husband finally promised to eat better and he looked amazing! His sister died two months later. So, reach out and see if he will take your advice.

Be well.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    E_Brault wrote: »
    Uncle Mac,

When I first met my former sister in-law she looked 20 years younger than she was actually! The whole family seemed wired that way. Upon my divorce, my former husband finally promised to eat better and he looked amazing! His sister died two months later. So, reach out and see if he will take your advice.

Be well.
    Four years ago, his maternal uncle suffered a heart attack. It looked like he was going to pull through but then he had a second attack which proved fatal. My bro-in-law resembled his uncle and I think this served as a wakeup call. He still out-eats me but I'm fairly sure he's seeing his family physician regularly.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    That is sad, Uncle Mac

But it is becoming clearer to me every day - that I can barely take care of myself. I don't mean anything bad by that. I just mean, I used to cook, clean, grocer, errands and work 4 professional jobs. Now I am about twice that age and I'm sure I didn't have nearly enough self care. So right now I am being a little selfish and beginning to figure out (all over again) what it takes to be really good to me.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Taking care of oneself is only selfish when it's done to the exclusion or detriment of others.

Is there a word for taking care of others to the exclusion and detriment of oneself?

I spent the past couple of decades being the sane parent in a dysfunctional marriage. I became obese by not caring for myself as I spent all of my energy either working or taking care of my family. Now I'm working out and doing yoga most nights and slowly regaining my sense of self.
  • Mccmack
    Options
    There is a reason why they tell people to put the air mask on themselves before their children on an airplane. Your time serving others is not wasted time. Your loved ones are watching and they are blessed when you are blessed.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    http://www.dbtcenteroc.com/the-gift-of-self-centeredness/

Maybe think of this as "self-centered."
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    You can't fulfill your commitments to others before you make a commitment to yourself.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    http://www.dbtcenteroc.com/the-gift-of-self-centeredness/

Maybe think of this as "self-centered."

@RodaRose, great link.