The Bro-ctober workout thread; SUPAHSET!

Options

Replies

• bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Got a stomach virus Friday night, it was awful and violent. Recovered Sun/Mon. Forced myself to do SL 5x5 last night, but still felt a bit off/weak, so I scaled the weight back a little.

Squat 5x5 95lbs
    Bench Press 5x5 70 lbs
    Bent Row 5x5 70 lbs

Did some different variations of ab crunches in between a couple sets. Today I'm planning on cardio- probably a lovely little jog down the trail in this beautiful weather here for about 3 or so miles.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Morning all!

Lifted last night - still recovering from this chest thing so no accessories this time

Squat 5x5x140lbs
    OHP 5x5x80lbs
    Deadlift - the warm up sets for this weight were ridiculous so I had to scale them back otherwise I wouldn't have been able to pull my working weight but in the end my working set was 1x4x230lbs woohoo!!! that used to be my 1RM - I love this programme!

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Another rant on the weather in SoCal. These are my lifts from yesterday. It was so humid I was getting wet from it before the sweat started from the heat.

Bench Press 1x8 45/65/75/85/90/95/100, Failed 105. I benched more than I thought I could, so I was quite happy.

Dumbbell rows 3x10 35lbs.

I figured this lifting day would be the good day to do conditioning... once it's not hot and humid out!

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Nice work everyone. Awesome deadlift @psych101 *envies a little*. I'm hoping to get a 1rm of 215 before my vacation and one day, 225.

16 - Lower Power

squats 3x5 @ 165 - okay though last rep at the very end was rough, had to fight not to let my hips go up first.
    deadlift 4x3 @ 195 - better this time, calluses hurt a bit though, also did sumo for 5 reps at 145 for fun.
    leg press 220 3x8 - slightly less than last time, won't increase much till after 10k.
    standing calf 3x10 @ 60 - eh, it has odd jumps so it was 45 or 60, so did more this time
    leg curl 4x8 @ 70 - was occupied at first, so out of order but it went fine.

That is all for today. Tomorrow is freight day at work and Friday will be long run.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I worked out on a Tuesday since Monday was a holiday. It will be a shortened workout week for me since I won't have access to the gym on Saturday (so only 2 SL workouts).

Squats: 5x5 @ 150 lbs. My GOD these were hard. I was afraid to go all the way down for fear I couldn't get back up again but I managed. The bar is hurting my shoulders too (even though I have a foam cushion) so I think I'm going to stay on this weight for a while.

Overheard Press: 5x5@ 55lbs. I tried going up to 60 lbs. but just couldn't do it so I stayed at 55 lbs. It was pretty hard and may have to stay on this weight for a while.

Deadlift: 1x5@ 185 lbs. Okay, this was waaaay too hard. I swear I'm going to get a hernia, plus my hands just can't grip well. I still haven't gotten gloves yet.

gym challenges: 50 body squats, 1 minute leg lift,1 minute plank. Done!

Question of the day: Is it possible to train for a half marathon and stick with SL as the runs gets progressively longer later? I would hate to lose all the SL fitness.
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Right, I feel I can properly join in this now.

First night at the gym after my session with the trainer. And he was there with another client, so I was on best behaviour, wanting to show I had learned...

Squat: 5x5 @ 55kg
    Row: 5x5 @ 41.5kg
    Bench: 5x5 @ 24kg

I had squatted 60kg on Tuesday with the trainer but I wasn't confident I could do it without him standing over me, so I backed off a bit. I have my fractional plates, I'll add a kilo at a time now!

The trainer popped over at one point to say I was doing really well, but to push down more with my heels, which indeed I had been forgetting.

The bench was a bit embarrassing. I suppose I was tired, but after a warm up with 6kg and 10kg dumbbells, I picked up 16kgs, lay down ... And could not move the things. At all!

So, somewhat embarrassed, I put the 16s back and got 14s. And the same thing happened. I ended up with 12s, which thankfully moved! And actually felt too easy. Interesting...

I swear I did bench press with a 30 kg barbell last week. But maybe dumbbells are harder? My trainer told me I'd be better with them, as my left arm is weaker than my right, and also because I am a bit afraid of getting stuck under a barbell :-) But I'll see how I go.

And man, I did proper rests in between after he was insistent about how important it is. I mean, I know that, but it's boring and it makes the whole session so much longer! But I will behave now, especially as I get to heavy weights for me.
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Hmmmm, just read the FAQ on here, and maybe I'll go back to the barbell for the bench after all! Smaller increments would be a good reason, if nothing else.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Nice work @Ariadnula and yeah, I find dumbbell weight and barbell to vary greatly. I'm up to 100 lbs (barely got 105 for 3 reps recently) for barbell bench but I'm still working with 30s for dumbbell. I don't know the kg conversion though. I like using both db and bb for bench. Also, it's common for one to be a little weaker than the other, so can base the dumbbell weight on the weaker arm as you work up, while with barbell the stronger side can compensate a little for the weaker one.
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Ah, thanks, interesting about the differences. I'll experiment, I suppose. And yeah, the conversion - I just halve the pounds to get some idea. So your 105lb lift is ... Well, I'd guess at 52kg.

And ... I just went and checked and its 47kg so I obviously need to halve it and then go a bit lower!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    1 rm testing for squats160 x 1 165 x 1 170 x 1 175 x 1 180 fail
    Then 5x8 @100 well it might have been 6x8 but lol I'm not sure
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    conversion from kg to pounds is 2.2 ;-)

nice work, @Ariadnula. you remind me of me: a strange combination of rararrgh lemme at it! and wanting to be well-behaved. for what it's worth, bench is really hit and miss for me too. i can bench like a boss on one day, and then in the following week be completely feeble at it. i think it's a good one to keep telling yourself to trust the process and not let the numbers define your whole life.

i didn't have an official workout today, but you'd never know it. technically, today was the second rest day at the end of my week, but i woke up and discovered my air squats were working perfectly - like they'd never heard of me having problems at all. and then i realised that trainer-day tomorrow is not going to have squats anyway, so i went in and did it. like the ancient earl who wakes up with his first erection in decades, and tells the butler to get the car ready and not tell her ladyship, so he can smuggle it up to london and use it before it leaves him. that was me. i took my glutes and re-discovered hamstrings off to the gym. just to do squats. i did 5x5 at 85 again, and felt really comfortable. so after that i did 1x4@90 as well, just to prove to myself that i probably 'could have' taken the increment and gone up to 90 if i'd felt like it.

i also ran. sprints were just not happening - i could not get the mechanics of running for real to work, due to various muscles too tight and so forth. so i gave up on that but after my squats i went back to the treadmill and did a more c25k type thing. 30/60 seconds between brisk walking and super-duper slow jog, for idk five or six cycles i guess. i actually liked it. the really slow pace let me just concentrate on coming down on my heels and making my posterior chain take the hit. which felt good in an almost massagey type way. and at the end i ended up turning the last 'run' into a full half a mile with no walking in it.

and finally, 2x5 front squats with the 30lb bar as accessory. idk what to say about front squats. f or some reason my body's decided to love them, and it seems like that's coinciding with lots of good things for the back squats, so i'm just going with it.

very very happy and ready to eat everything.

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I was really not feeling like lifting today, as if the motivation was not there at all. I don't know what convinced me, but I got out there and did something at least.

OHP 1x8 45/55/65/70/72.5 failed 75lbs - 8 reps is particularly brutal for OHP. At 65lbs on the 6th rep I was like omg these are rough. I thought I'd stall at 65 or 70. I didn't think I'd get 72.5. That puttering around at elevation did some good and I didn't lose anything.

There was accessory work to be done, but I don't have the equipment, so I did some Farmer's walks holding 25lb plates. Ow my hands.

Bleh, if only I can get my eating back in check. I've been having problems getting back to tracking my food after all these vacations/going out of town in a row.
  • Ariadnula
    edited October 2015
    Options

nice work, @Ariadnula. you remind me of me: a strange combination of rararrgh lemme at it! and wanting to be well-behaved. for what it's worth, bench is really hit and miss for me too. i can bench like a boss on one day, and then in the following week be completely feeble at it. i think it's a good one to keep telling yourself to trust the process and not let the numbers define your whole life.

Good advice - I think bench is going to be an interesting one.

And ha, I'm trying to defeat my personality here - I'm a bit rush-ahead-and-do, over-enthusiastic, I-know-what-I'm-doing and it can backfire on me. I recently got our wedding album printed and was so keen to get it done that I didn't pay as much attention as I could have done. When it arrived I realised my husband's eyes are closed in one photo. Erk. He just rolled his eyes (open) at me, but still, I felt like a twit. Take Your Time, woman...

like the ancient earl who wakes up with his first erection in decades, and tells the butler to get the car ready and not tell her ladyship, so he can smuggle it up to london and use it before it leaves him.

Heehee. I'm confused, though - is he transporting this precious cargo towards her ladyship, who is in London, or sparing her the burden, as it were?
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    And I should probably say, I *have* been lifting for a while, just not very ambitiously. So I kind of do know what I'm doing, but just want to be sure before I go into new big-weights territory.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Yesterday:

Squats: 50kg - 5x5 (same weight as last time, but my form is getting better)
    Bench: 28kg - 5/5/4/4/4
    Row: 35kg - 5x5

No cardio today as I had to book it home to make dinner before my driving lessons... I am looking forward to the day when my Thursday/Friday nights are not comepletly booked from the time I get off of work until 9:30pm. :frowning:

Today:

Restoration Yoga (aka napping.. with yoga blocks)

Tomorrow:

Rest day!!!
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yesterday night was lift day

Squat 5x5 95 lbs
    OHP 5x5 50 lbs (whew, #thestruggleisreal)
    Deadlift 1x5 110 lbs I've done more weight, but I skipped the DL last week, so I lowered it a bit.

Tonight is either a play volleyball for a few hours or take a long bicycle ride night. Haven't decided yet.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    6 mile jog this morning. Last long run until the 10k.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Ariadnula wrote: »
    Ah, thanks, interesting about the differences. I'll experiment, I suppose. And yeah, the conversion - I just halve the pounds to get some idea. So your 105lb lift is ... Well, I'd guess at 52kg.

And ... I just went and checked and its 47kg so I obviously need to halve it and then go a bit lower!

Typically it's a 2.2 ish conversion from kg to lbs. So divide by half, then remove 10% of said half. (100lbs / 2 = 50 - 5 = 45kg)

So the other way around, you add 10% then double. (let's reuse the same numbers for demonstration purposes: 45 + 5 (4.5 rounded) = 50 x 2 = 100lbs

It just seems easier to do it that way than to think about 2.2, lol.

I've also gotten really proefficient at plate maths. With me around, no one needs an app! ;P
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Ariadnula wrote: »
    Heehee. I'm confused, though - is he transporting this precious cargo towards her ladyship, who is in London, or sparing her the burden, as it were?

i think he's smuggling it out. the original joke that i read has the butler saying 'shall i inform her ladyship, my lord?' and the earl saying 'no no, we won't trouble her. why don't you get the car' etc.

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    So I think I went a bit too far today lol had to lie down after my stretching - not enough fuel and trying to do too much I think lol I just get so carried away and I love to feel all the different lifts!

Squat 5x5x145lbs
    Bench 5x5x100lbs these hurt and were a grind!!
    Row 5x5x115lbs man I love these!!

Super set of fun 3x8
    Lat pull down
    Bicep barbell curl
    Single arm dumbbell row
    Single arm bench press
    Arnold press
    Push-up pike thing on Swiss ball

There are not enough foodzzzzz in the world!!