timg760 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    FistBump_BaymaxButler.gif
    Yep

• CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This threads too quite ATM... So Lessson - KEEP Going... Be Patient... It takes time, but is sooooo Worth it....

2 years ago, as a stupid Newb, i did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTyjOvFZi48&list=PL49Vbkb_-jP9jiTJepLFl8PDt42nRloXD&index=5

Last night i did this:

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    :open_mouth:
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,472 Member
    Options
    So after my shoulder injuries, my doc had me on a 30-day no-lifting restriction. After I was allowed back in the gym, I had to start ultra-light (25% max) and slowly work my way back up. The first few weeks felt ridiculous but pain-free, so I've been slowly increasing and now am up to 50% max. I don't know if it's just psychological or not, but it seems to me my muscles are smaller than they were before, so I'm looking forward to getting back above 75% again and making my muscles work for a living. My days of hitting PR's every few weeks are probably over, but I can still look forward to making strength gains, albeit more slowly.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Any kind of changes to routine, to like more reps lighter weight or such?
  • nossmf
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Several changes.

--> I used to go for powerlifting totals, doing sets of 1-3 on my main lifts and 4-6 on supplementals. Now it's sets of 5 on my mains and sets of 10 on the others.

--> Also some programming changes; when my work schedule changed and limited me to twice per week lifting, I broke my body parts up as chest/back and shoulders/legs. This caused a double-whammy on my shoulders, especially if I didn't get a day of rest between. Now I'm upper-body vs lower-body/abs/deadlift.

--> I used to be guilty of walking from my car to the bench press. Now I spend ten minutes to jog an easy-paced mile before I do some rotator-cuff warm-up exercises. THEN I go to the bench.

--> One of my old favorite exercises was the DB front-raise to work my anterior shoulders. However, between my chest work and OHP my doc says I'm already hitting my anterior delts hard enough, I need to spend more time focusing on my non-show muscles: rear-delts and hamstrings specifically. I also am upping work on my lats just a touch: I used to do a 1:1 ratio of chest reps/back reps, now it's more like a 1:1.5 ratio.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Bottom line, even though I've been lifting for over six years and long ago shed the "beginner" label, I'm still having to learn some lessons the hard way since I was only ever self-taught rather than hiring a trainer.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Previous actual squat 1RM tested in the gym (earlier this year) was 325. Today, I knocked out 5 sets of 5 at 325.

edit: Clarified that it was squat that I was referring to.
  • timg760
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Previous actual squat 1RM tested in the gym (earlier this year) was 325. Today, I knocked out 5 sets of 5 at 325.

edit: Clarified that it was squat that I was referring to.

Bet that felt good. I've had to break my 5x5 at 325 down to 8x3 !!
  • timg760
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Bottom line, even though I've been lifting for over six years and long ago shed the "beginner" label, I'm still having to learn some lessons the hard way since I was only ever self-taught rather than hiring a trainer.

Ditto. Though i've only been lifting about 2 years.
  • CarlKRobbo
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Right, so speaking of Lessons.. here's how NOT to do a PB...

Edit: Even tohugh it did Pass, So many mistakes, and i am a lucky *** not to get hurt by this..
    232.5KG\511Lbs on the bar at 91KG\200Lbs
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Strong squat.
  • CarlKRobbo
    Options
    Cheers SS!! I got 237.5KG\522Lbs after this, but failed on refs commands - Racked too early :(

Lesson #2.... Probably powerlifters (Experienced) Only..... If you ever get to the top of a lift, and feel you need to pass out.. Wait for the rack command... Or else you'll fail the lift that would have tied you for 3rd place in your first ever nationals :( (I'd have placed "joint 3rd" 4th via Wilks)
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Ugh, sorry to hear Carl. Regardless, big Congrats! F'n Strong! Thanks for sharing.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Not much but did a little max testing so time to post something in this one. After a year of lifting at gym am pleased with how things are going. Am 4'10" and around 137 body weight.

high bar squat = 195
    deadlift = 225

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Helps if I get my height right. Typing on this little tab let is a nuisance. I am 4'11.5"

Got bench at 110 and hoping to get 115 in the future.
  • adiboy2349
    adiboy2349 Posts: 20 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't know if I'm posting this in the right forum. However,

I'll be travelling to Orlando, Florida for a business trip this month & hence need some information regarding how Gym's operate in the US.

What is the average membership fee for a month? I'd be mostly working out 3-4 days a week. So, do I pay on the days I workout or for an entire month?
    Any suggestions of a good gym near Buena Vista?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    adiboy2349 wrote: »
    I don't know if I'm posting this in the right forum. However,

I'll be travelling to Orlando, Florida for a business trip this month & hence need some information regarding how Gym's operate in the US.

What is the average membership fee for a month? I'd be mostly working out 3-4 days a week. So, do I pay on the days I workout or for an entire month?
    Any suggestions of a good gym near Buena Vista?

I certainly don't mind you posting this here but a few suggestions:

1) Try making a thread in the main forums
    2) Try making a new thread in our group

Typically gyms here do 1 day passes or monthly. Some have contracts where you have to sign up for extended periods and some also have joining fees. I'd probably try to avoid both of those scenarios so that you can see if there's a place you can find where you just pay a 1 month fee and be done with it.