so there was this guy in the gym . . .

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    tiny human, very cute

Not much from last night but a slight update. I don't go to the gym all the time at 11 pm now, so I don't see the show off boys much anymore. Don't see them lifting together as much or making as much of a scene. Did see one of them last night though. He wasn't the small, lean guy who I'd see working alone on weekends. This was one of the ones who liked to leave the heavy weights and show off. He kept his shirt on this time and even so, one can see that he's making physique progress along with strength. Good that even with bro elements, there is progress and definite dedication. Got to give him props for that, even if he's annoying sometimes.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i think i was probably a few people's 'woman at the gym' today. because i was sitting on the floor like a preschooler, with my legs stretched out in front of me, just happily mashing and bashing every angle and inch of my quads with the 16lb kettlebell. i know it looked weird, but it just felt so good and finally something is making a dent.

my rectus femoris muscles have gone right out of their MINDS recently.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    The small gym only had two other guys lifting and the one guy running the desk. Desk guy walked around a bit at times, cooked his lunch and what not in some back room, and joked with the two guys a little. The two guys had their amusing moments. Couple of bros with potential for future stories. Though probably less stories if I pick this gym since the population is much smaller for sure. It was after 1 pm and just the three of us. One of them did cardio after their lifting but the other guy left instead of doing cardio. The one who did do it had little dumbbells he used during part of it to do sort of dumbbell press while using the elliptical thing. Of course, he had to wear a hoodie while doing the cardio.
  • canadianlbs
    edited October 2015
    Options
    fun conversation at trainer day today with mr 400-pound squat.

mr squat: i would totally wear a bee-keeper's helmet.
    someone: oh yeah? to keep bees
    mr squat: no, just for fun.
    *other people lose interest and wander away*
    me: like, just around the office and stuff.
    mr squat: exactly. you got it.
    me: what would be even better if some wise guy snuck up while you weren't wearing it and drew a big smiley face on the veil.
    mr squat: *eyes light up like lightbulbs*
    me: i would be the one who did that.
    mr squat: hell you say. i would do that MYSELF. that would be perfect.
    *both of us consider the idea for a while in complete happiness*
    me: what you really need though. is, like, if the veils could be replaced.
    mr squat: huh?
    me: like, you know. little square on the front that you can swap in and out. and then you could make -
    mr squat: *lightbulb eyes* a full set
    me: right.
    mr squat: oh YEAH. and then, in conversations, i'd be . . .
    me: "please hold one moment". and then you'd shuffle through your set to find the right face. in fact, what you need is - you know in 12-step programmes and stuff they give you those cards with the little faces on them. 'i'm feeling [ ]'
    mr squat: *ecstasy* i'm gonna do that. i am so gonna do that. oh god, i'm so happy right now.

i like mr squat.
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Four lost souls of teenage boys were in this afternoon. This was in the 'big' gym: some days I go to the big one which gets lots of big, buff guys and toned women, and other days I go to the 'wee' one near my work, which is in a posh area and mostly has mums and dads who stick to cardio and little weights.

Anyway, the big gym was pretty empty this afternoon, so my rest periods were spent watching these four wander around. They basically poked at each bit of equipment, then wandered off. A few bouncy squats with an empty bar in the rack (it was set up for me, at 4' 10", so it was funny to watch them try to get under it), a few awkward kettlebell raises (I couldn't call them swings), attempts at pull ups - but no more than five or six of anything. I felt sorry for them, they clearly needed direction! Usually there's one more forceful personality in a group, but this crowd just meandered.

I feel like the staff should step in and offer help, but I suppose they only do that if you ask for it? Anyway, I eventually had to just zone them out to quell my busy-body desire to help! I doubt they'd have been thrilled by an offer from a wee lady, anyway...
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Heading from the changing rooms towards the front area/exit I had some guy come up behind and pass me. He was pretty tall and moving faster, no big deal but he made a comment to me as he passed. Told me good job tonight. No one really interacts much with me at night so it was just kinda weird.
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Two things I noticed today. First - the changing room in the evening is a whole different world to the morning. In the morning it's all nakedness, people just strip. This evening there were lots of young women getting in a tangle trying to put their sports bra on top of their normal one and then wriggle the normal one out from underneath... it was quite bizarre to watch. And one girl just wore both...

Then there was the weird guilt I felt when a guy asked if I was finished with the rack, when I wasn't. I felt like I should give it to him. Luckily my trainer the other week was very firm on that one - it's YOUR rack, he said! Let people work in, if they want, but otherwise, tough it out! So I was nice, said no, I still had stuff to do....
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Yep, if you're using it then you don't need to give it away just cause someone might want to do something in it too. Most of the time, on the rare time anyone talks to me, it's to ask how many more sets or if I'm almost done. I've only had one person ask to work in but that was on the leg press.

There are a few times where that would change. I did have someone give me the deadlift area for my quick set because they were going to be there for over an hour and I just had a warmup and 1 working set to do. Was very nice of them to let me jump in quick to get mine done. I'd probably give up the rack/cage if I was doing lunges or good mornings cause I can clean that weight at this time, but for something like squat and overhead press, nope I'm sticking to the rack until I'm done. And yeah, I do bar lunges right now with the rack cause it's nice to have the safety just in case and they are right after front squats in my current program. You can be mindful of others but don't need to drop everything anytime someone might want the equipment. A little wait won't hurt them. :wink:
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    yeah same. i will sometimes give up the rack or suggest a trade, if my heart isn't really in it or i really should be doing warmups and stretching but just grabbed the rack because it was free. but otherwise, nope. most people are grownup about their disappointment if you offer to let them know when you're done. so at least that way they know that they're next.

in fact, in a way i think 'how many sets' is often actually code for 'can i be next?'.
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Thanks, and yeah, the guy who asked was fine about it. I kept an eye out for where he was working and let him know when I was about to do my last set.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Interesting afternoon session as I don't often go to the gym then, since I work afternoon/evenings. Had a few sightings of note.

1. Guy using lots of force to pull down the bar in lat pulldown. He had that momentum thing going in order to lift the heavy weight and then added more, which seemed too heavy. Needed a lot of momentum in order to pull it down some.

2. Young teen. Had to be maybe 15 max (looked quite young) but he was chill, just rocked on his workout. There were a couple actually but the one I noticed was working on his incline dumbbell bench press.

3. Carb talk between two random guys and a couple, female lifting and guy chatting with her. Somehow it got brought up that she's on practically no carbs (except veggies). The couple of guys asked a couple questions and they joked about it a little. She is prepping for something and working on losing a little cause carbs created water retention or something. On the other hand, me, I've been eating at least or over my carb recommendations in preparation for the 10k just cause, mmm carbs.

• Ariadnula
    Options
    So there was this girl in the gym...

She turned up in the squat rack next to me. I looked over, saw a super-slim, tall girl with a tonne of make up and thick, drawn-on eye brows ... So I have to admit I thought she'd just lift a few wee weights.

Ha. She started to warm up. And added more weight. And more. She got to 60kg - my max so far. Then she put on this dinky pink weight belt, and on she went. 100kg!

By this time I was having to sternly tell myself to stop staring! She was pretty amazing and awe inspiring.

Unfortunately, she later blanked me in the changing rooms when I nodded hello, but maybe she was completely knackered!

• dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Not sure what is going on at my gym these days. Saturday while doing yoga kept hearing load grunting noises from gym. I wasn't sure if the guy was lifting weights or having sex. The yesterday there was a different guy in the gym and I can't even begin to describe the noises from him. He grunted, groaned and yelled somewhat loudly. It wasn't anything profane just single words like, wow, great etc. It was great to see he was so proud of himself but kind of comical at the same time.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym so I really enjoy this thread!
  • stapark
    stapark Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I don't go to a gym so I really enjoy this thread!
    Haha! I really enjoy this thread too! Its just me...in the basement...sometimes with hubby and/or kids.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Well, today I was this gal, who, in the middle of a set of goblet squats, had to let out a smelly fart. I felt bad for the other people in the room >_>

Cuz, yanow, I'm sure they're over in their own clique going "this girl was totaly killing it, and then she decided to kill us too!" or something.

No but seriously, post-digestive-trouble gas is the worst. So embarassing D:
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    Well, today I was this gal, who, in the middle of a set of goblet squats, had to let out a smelly fart. I felt bad for the other people in the room >_>

Cuz, yanow, I'm sure they're over in their own clique going "this girl was totaly killing it, and then she decided to kill us too!" or something.

No but seriously, post-digestive-trouble gas is the worst. So embarassing D:

Hee hee--on some other thread somewhere on the Internet, this is being discussed...

I have to say, I usually come on this thread to report on someone doing something dumb, but in the last week I've had two nice things happen at the gym. Yesterday someone I'd never seen before asked if I would mind checking his deadlift form, and when I said yes, no problem, he thanked me and added, "I asked because you have such great form yourself."

Another day there was a guy I'd never seen before using the squat rack, and when I asked if he was done he said yes, and then he made the same tired joke I've heard before from other obnoxious young gym guys: "Should I leave these plates on for you?" when they have 225 pounds on there (and oh, how I wish I could walk up to the bar and squat that amount and shut them up). There was another guy within earshot who I see around a lot and who knows what he's doing (and comes in and gets it done without the preening some people do), and he said to the first guy, "Believe me, you only wish you could progress the way she does--she's getting really strong."

In both instances, I smiled for the rest of the day.
  • canadianlbs
    edited October 2015
    Options
    scrittrice wrote: »
    he made the same tired joke I've heard before from other obnoxious young gym guys: "Should I leave these plates on for you?"

what a total b.s.ish buttmunchy remark. put on your best dyel voice and face and just tell them no. because, really. what serious lifter skips warmup sets?

i do have one comeback that seems to not only shut down an individual piece of lameness or dickery - it actually crushes the problem right at the source. you just pretend like you don't know they were trying to troll you, and say 'yeah, a lot of people ask/tell me that'. you can use various tones and expressions with it, just so long as you make it so they have to TELL you they 'weren't serious'.

i like 'sort of mildly interested in the phenomenon but actually not really at all'. or 'oh, hey . . . you'll prolly be pleased to hear this'.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    scrittrice wrote: »

Another day there was a guy I'd never seen before using the squat rack, and when I asked if he was done he said yes, and then he made the same tired joke I've heard before from other obnoxious young gym guys: "Should I leave these plates on for you?" when they have 225 pounds on there (and oh, how I wish I could walk up to the bar and squat that amount and shut them up). There was another guy within earshot who I see around a lot and who knows what he's doing (and comes in and gets it done without the preening some people do), and he said to the first guy, "Believe me, you only wish you could progress the way she does--she's getting really strong."

In both instances, I smiled for the rest of the day.

To the first guy, I would like to have said "Sure, if you're too tired to re-rack your weights, I can do it."

The second guy is Grade A Awesome.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I was in the middle of doing squats when some random guy I've spoken to like once before started talking at me about how I didn't need to lift weights ("just do cardio... your body is great you just need to slim down a bit"). :rage: He kept calling me Sarah (my name's not Sarah). I basically blanked him until he went away but he was *kitten* annoying.

So I was feeling a bit defensive, when one of the gym's trainers came up to me and asked if I was being lazy... "No. I'm smashing it". He grinned and said "Yeah, I know you are." Strangely, that made me feel a bit better.