Fireworks! November workouts going off like a rocket

Options

Replies

• dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Rest Day for me! Except that I'll be commuting with my bicycle.

My hamstrings are sore from those romanian deadlifts I did yesterday. Sometimes it's nice to feel a little sore because it feels like I'm doing something.
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I got a bit stressed when I got there tonight and both squat racks were taken up. It's hard to find anywhere else to do deadlifts or OHPs in the small gym I was in this evening. I mean, I could make do - and I was just setting up to do so when the woman on one of the racks gave me a nod to say she was done. Woo!

Squats: 5x5 @ 62.5kg These small, small increments are working so far. I felt good.

Deadlifts: 1x5 @ 60kg I dropped back a few kilos as last time just felt a bit too much, like my form was off. I'm impressed with everyone deadlifting so much more than they squat - I'm going the other way!

OHP: 4/5/5/5/5 @ 21.5kg: That's the bar plus six wee 0.25 plates! I should probably count the weight of the clips at these small increments... The OHPs were hard. And man, I feel it now, with heavy arms. But - all good.

I did a few half-hearted dips and then scrambled for home and dinner.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Taking a rest day to make sure my knee isn't twinge-y for squats. It felt off this morning. Maybe Zumba isn't for me.

I'll do SL and yoga tomorrow. Ooooh, I'll have a few calories for some Prosecco!

It's going to rain this weekend, for the third weekend in a row, so maybe I'll bring out the kettle bell.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Happy bonfire night! Raining here so no fireworks of note....Hopefully it will clear up for all the weekend displays.

Anyway, did my workout and notice that I am spending a good amount of time focused on my form so I am pleased with that...getting into good habits early on.

SQ 5X5 @ 40kg
    BP 5X5 @ 30kg - had to wait for the right bench so this was done at the end of my workout.
    Row 5X5 @ 35KG

Also did some extras, Press ups, seated rows, mat and gumball stuff.

Feeling good but weary..... The cake overload at lunchtime is taking its toll....
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    It's raining here, but it still sounds like a war zone out there! Gave my quite a fright when some went off just outside the gym.
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Hmm, I should probably explain that that last post related to Guy Fawkes Night/ Bonfire night...
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Deadlift 1x10 165lbs (warm up 95/110/125/135/145) - these were to failure and I only cranked out 10. I used straps as I knew my grip would gas before I would. These totally kicked my butt, my legs were locked up after the set.

Front Squats 3x10 55lbs - I know I can lift more but my legs were really tired.

Planks

back to nanowrimo and protein smoothie
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    rest day. 100 bw squats done. i did the first 50 all strung together, then another 30 later, and finally the last 20 while cooking dinner.

i should probably give myself a quick reality check with the webcam tomorrow. but i'm liking this for the form practice and i plan to keep doing it on rest days. may invest in a small dowel rod though, as i want to maintain a good back and it's embarrassing to do them with a broom.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    rest day. 100 bw squats done. i did the first 50 all strung together, then another 30 later, and finally the last 20 while cooking dinner.

i should probably give myself a quick reality check with the webcam tomorrow. but i'm liking this for the form practice and i plan to keep doing it on rest days. may invest in a small dowel rod though, as i want to maintain a good back and it's embarrassing to do them with a broom.

Or...get a band and do OHS with it...so good for upper and mid-back activation to really maintain that core tension and neutral spine, reduce butt wink and pull your shoulders back for improved posture, improved bar shelf, and to counteract all the sitting (and possibly knitting).
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    Or...get a band and do OHS with it...

sold. i have been doing some bodyweight ohs, although not during this brand-new side-thing that i've started here. i still think that in my case, doing with the actual bar position that i'll use in real squats is also good just because i don't find that the grip and positioning come naturally.

so i'll experiment and mix it around

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Here are my numbers for today.

Squats - 5x65/70/75/80/85/90/95/100/105, 5x5x110
    Sumo squats- 5x5x95
    BP - 5x65/75/80 5x3x85, I felt weak so dropped down to 5x2x80
    BR - 5x5x85

I did a lot of squats because I really want to work that area. I am feeling good about my form while lifting the heavier weight. I almost feel like heavier cleans up my form.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Ariadnula wrote: »
    What does Canada do in November?

wrings rainwater out of all its clothing, waits for its glasses to de-steam (never happens) and reminds itself it won't see the sun again until may. *sulks*

There is Remembrance day and we wear poppies? But otherwise, what canadianlbs said lol.

Tried to go for some kind of volume, bodybuilding style deload workout, but I got this cold and I'm sleep deprived... I slogged through it at a snail's pace, but made it, somewhat.

Front Squats
    65x15
    75x16
    85x12
    95x8 -> 65x10

Stiff leg Deadlift (these are a lot harder than regular deads O_o)
    95x10
    115x12
    135x10 dbl overhand
    145x8
    150x8

Leg press
    90x10
    135x10
    160x3x10
    180x10

Seated Leg curl
    50x12
    60x12
    75x12
    80x12
    85x9

Leg extension + lunge jumps (per side)
    30x15 / 9
    45x13 / 10
    45x15 / 11

Seated calf raises
    45x15
    70x12
    80x12
    90x12

Bw squat x 30
  • ar9179
    edited November 2015
    Options
    De-loaded for squats. I'm such a ninny about my knees! The tweaked one felt fine, though.

Squat 135 5x5 No problems.

OHP 70 5 sets of 3 reps. Do I write it 5x3 or 3x5? I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure that out, just now. Anyway. Very. Freaking. Heavy. My body vibrated through all the lifts from the exertion. I'll be working my way up to 5 reps.

DL 195 1x5. Oh yeah. That's how you write it! I'm excited that I could finish these without losing my grip, which was close on the last rep. Next week I'll be back to the weight I failed at in June, right before a bunch of travel and a few de-loads.

I went to yoga prior to lifting. Thankfully, there were a lot of new people in the class so it wasn't too challenging.

Edited: OHP was 70 lbs, not 80! I think my brain is fried.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ar9179 - nice workout! I get confused on how to write them too! I think it's sets x reps X weights. And I messed up my BP in the last post if that's the case! LOL

I looked back and everyone has their own way!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Yesterday... didn't sleep very well the night before and definitely affected my workout.

Squats: 62.5kg - 5x5
    OHP: 25kg - 3/5/4/4/3
    Deadlift: 70 - 1x3

Today...

Bikram Yoga

Tomorrow...

REST DAY!!!
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Started 3x5 at 80% 1RM today because of slow to nonexistent progress on 5x5
    SQUAT 80
    BP 60
    PR 60
    So nice to get through in enough time to do accessories:
    Good mornings
    RDL
    Bridges
    Various back isolation work
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I had catch up session with pt today and he is amazed at my progress on 6wks lifting at hypertrophy.
    Benched 35kg for first time
    Deadlift 40kg after 8wks not lifting form perfect
    All rest of lifts going as planned.
    He wants me to stay at hypertrophy range increasing to 12 reps for another 4wks then I can go back to 5x5 pr program.
    Will still have to keep my ISO work going for weak side but all good.
    So looking forward to Mondays session in new gym by myself with the boys :smile:

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    OHP 1x10 72.5lbs (warm up 45/55/60/65) - These till failure. I got 10, probably could of gotten more if I had someone standing by the count for me. It seems massively easier for reps to failure that I just mindlessly go and someone else does the math, haahha!
    I had some gas left in the tank after that and I did 1x1 75 and 80lbs. I ran out of gas for 85lbs.

Farmers walks 25lbsx2

Yay, rest weekend now!
  • ar9179
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    ar9179 - nice workout! I get confused on how to write them too! I think it's sets x reps X weights. And I messed up my BP in the last post if that's the case! LOL

I looked back and everyone has their own way!

I hope I remember! That workout must have really gotten to me, because I got hung up on the sets x reps thing for a while and put the wrong weight for one of the lifts! Yeah, I was tired. LOL
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    trainer day

squat 80: he got me to really tighten my back before lifting the bar, but (un)fortunately did it in such a tactful way that by the time i had figured out his point i was good and frustration-style mad. fortunately a bit of mad makes it much easier to tighten the hell out of the upper back. squats went quite well.

ohp 55, didn't go well. i'm just frustrated and don't have a lot to say about it. there's some form stuff i've lost track of and i'll just need to go brood on my own mountaintop until i get it back. i know it's form because a very short while ago 55 pound overhead press was EASY. and then suddenly one day, just not. i know i have the muscle. i need to re-dial the execution.

bike ride to and from trainer. i'll say something about those rest-day bw squats. they seem to have made me suddenly hella strong on my bike.