Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• phil230532
    phil230532 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Phil. I run, my wife runs, and my 2 daughters have completed a total of 6 marathons and 1 ultra. I do mostly 5k's but build up to run 1 or 2 half marathons usually where the daughters do their marathon. I have my weekly long run up to 10 miles, but I have 7 lbs. to lose by the race to be at my best running weight. Look forward to this group and the inspirational posts.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Fitness_WonderWoman Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new to this group. I'm Shay-lon, I'm an exercise Science college student! I really started road running 3 times a week.. With my roommate who introduced me to it. I go to a gym to workout, play softball and basketball during the week also and I do strength training during the week at least twice. I'm not a marathoner by any means.. I use to run distance in highschool until I switched to sprinter and I'm better with that but I wanted to join this group because I want to hopefully someday run a 5k to start with then.. Possibly 10k later in life. My life is hectic and with the weather getting cooler.. I'll probably be on the treadmill more so versus outside running. Anyone can add me, I accept all forms of motivation and good people!
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Susan, I’m 61, and this spring I went for my check-up and got labeled with the label NO one wants - OBESE. I decided I was not going to stand for that, so I joined MFP and started running for the first time with a great couch-2-5K program. (My family wanted to check me in for a mental health workup, but I talked them out of it. :D) Now I run twice a week with great group and then usually once a week treadmill. Between times I bike (trail or stationary depending on weather) and do some weight work. I’ve run three 5Ks over the last 2 months, and I usually do 4 miles on Wednesday nights with the group. Gradually building up my distance and frequency. Would love to join a group with others that have similar interests.
  • miss_vicky_5
    miss_vicky_5 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Vicky.
    I've been running on and off for years. I did two half marathons in 2007, and the following year was diagnosed with IT band syndrome, which for years I had problems coping with. Last year, I found a great running coach, who sent me to an equally great sports chiropractor, and between them, they have been knocking me into shape. I can now officially run five miles pain-free! So I'm psyched about that, but have recently found that my motivation has been waning (nothing to do with the encroaching cold weather here in NJ, of course :) ). I'm hoping this group, and making friends on MFP will get me motivated and running again.
  • 4dawgs
    4dawgs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Marcy, and am going to attempt to get back into the running groove. Will have to be treadmill for the most part, maybe a couple of outdoor runs. I am not a fast, seasoned runner, but I have "participated" in a few marathons in the last few years. Started doing the running "thang" about 5 years ago, got away from it after an injury two years ago, but I can still feel the urge to get up and go, so want to get the motivation I need here. I wish all on here nothing but the best, and let's do this!
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Nice thread and group. I'm not new to MFP, actually been here 2 years. But new account. I like to run. so I'll join group. :)
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I am Amanda. I can't say I ever enjoyed exercise but do so in order to lose weight ( if I exercise I eat better as don't want to undo the effort). I sort of got into "running" (slow jogging) earlier this year but broke my hand and pretty much spent 3 months eating. I want to use this challenge to clock up th km's to get me back into it.
  • tomfit1250
    tomfit1250 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Tom here. Just run to stay fit. No race in mind, though maybe fun sometime. I am shooting for 60mi in November. A high goal for me i think. Dont really track mileage. Usually calories. New Friends always welcome. Thanks!
  • marygoguen
    marygoguen Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My name is Mary, Im 44 years old and I started running for the first time in my life in the middle of August of this year. I started as a way to relieve my stress and I absolutely fell in love with it!! I run every day sometimes twice a day, ( did I mention my life was very stressful?
  • ameliasdanial213
    ameliasdanial213 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Amelia (Mia),

I participated in last months running challenge and I completed approximately 75 miles! I had a goal of 156 but I didn't get out as often as I had wanted! So I am going to aim for 100 miles this month and hopefully I will nail this one!

I just recently had my first child in June and after recovering from an emergency C-section I have been easing back into running since September! I usually run late at night after my little one has hit the hay!

There is a race in my province every summer called the Telly 10 which I am aiming to run in! It's always been am it b I have been meaning to scratch and I believe this year is my year!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I started running about 20 weeks ago. I finished the c25k, did the b210k and now am working on an Asics plan to run a half marathon. I want to run and to do it because I told myself I couldn't.
    doing my first race on thanksgiving. 8k.
    I'm so grateful that I have found running. I find great satisfaction in it.
    My dog comes with me on my short and medium runs. She seems to like it.
    14855237146_d3d197ce5c.jpgrcuddle by faith, on Flickr

I mostly run in the city at 4am but i want to start taking runs on trails. Not sure when I'll find the time as trail running doesn't seem like a good idea that early in the morning.
  • tomfit1250
    tomfit1250 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Logged 8 so far. On target.
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hey there hi there ho there, my name is Sam and I'm from Minnesota. I'm new to the group and new to running. I'm not involved in the current challenge because I kinda want to wait until I have a decent pair of shoes so I don't hurt anything, I don't think Converse are the best for running haha. I'd really like to get decent enough at running to be able to run on the trails next spring without feeling like an idiot and being able to do more than one mile.
  • caldarium2014
    caldarium2014 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Emma, I have been running for almost exactly 4 years, I have completed many races inc more 10Ks than I can remember a number of half marathons and even managed to finish the London Marathon in 2014 altho I ended up walking from mile 11 and had 5 blisters on the bottom of my feet at the end.

I am now in training for London 2016 and am hoping to get to 10 miles before Xmas with the proper training starting just after.
  • kennodogs
    kennodogs Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm Andrew and I'm from Adelaide, South Australia.
    I walk, run or cycle (or a combo) every day and need some extra motivation as I don't really seem to have any ultimate goals from my fitness.
    My primary sport is orienteering so mix alot of road running with bush/trail running.
    I occasionally do Parkrun on a Saturday morning with my 5km time around 19.30, and do a longer group trail run during summer on a Sunday.
    Not sure in miles what i should be aiming for a month so gonna start with 60 miles (100kms) and see how it goes.
    If anyone wants to add me please go for it as I could use the occasional kick along.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    MamaMollyT wrote: »
    Hi I'm Molly and recently lost my BRF (best running friend). She moved back to New Zealand and I'm finding I'm struggling to complete miles that used to fly by with great company. So hoping this gives me a kick in the pants to complete my 100 miles/month.
    @MamaMollyT Sounds like a great reason for a Road Trip to NZ for a visit/race. It's a beautiful Country.
    ghouli wrote: »
    Hey there hi there ho there, my name is Sam and I'm from Minnesota. I'm new to the group and new to running. I'm not involved in the current challenge because I kinda want to wait until I have a decent pair of shoes so I don't hurt anything,
    @ghouli Glad to hear that you are on the hunt for a good pair of shoes ( kicks). As a wise person once said to me - the shoe finds you - So connect to a local running club and ask them which local shoe store(s) they like the most and go get fitted - check out last years models as they will be discounted. Welcome to the Running Rat Pack.
  • jameseylefebure
    jameseylefebure Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm James, I'm a newbie to the group and figured I'd best say Hello!! :) Pretty new to running, 99.9% of it is done in the gym on the treadmill while the weather has been SHOCKING in Liverpool. I'm mainly doing a 5K every 2 days in the gym to push myself and I'm working on cutting the time it takes me to do. I'm mainly here to get tips, hints etc as next year my main goal is to run a marathon in September and use the time in between to get myself into better shape. (
  • Pmm5pla
    Pmm5pla Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hi there folks. I'm Pat, retired and living on the south East coast of Ireland.

I've been out of running for almost a year but thankfully it's coming good for me again. I'm back at it since early October and so far I've got no pain.
    My usual week is 2 runs each about 5k (3 miles) and some walking. Mostly I'm a biker but at this time of year, running is a great option.

Goal: I am seriously thinking about WALKING a marathon in 2016. Not yet fully committed but I'll see how it goes this winter /spring. .
  • bahrets
    bahrets Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am Sarah. I love to run. I recently quit a job that was unhealthy and sadly I fell off the wagon. I have done 5ks. 10ks and 3 ragnars. I am looking forward to this group. Also add me of you want. :)
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Venus. Earlier last year, I finally decided that I should do some of the things that my doctor suggested after seeing some warning signs of my previous physical checkups. I started with Pilates at first and later learnt that I should do some cardio too. At the end of summer last year, I started C25K. I ran my first 5k race in Thanksgiving last year.

Shortly after that, I fell off the running wagon. I lost motivation. Fortunately, after seeing us (my 10- and 12-year-old ran with me) finished the race, my husband caught the running bug. He started C25k and my pride just wouldn't let him catch up with my time so quickly that I started running again.

We have run a few more races since then. Even my 6-year-old ran with us now. We also started a running group within our friends. It has now become a social gathering for us and we tried to run together every weekend. On Thanksgiving last week, our family together with 4 other families ran the race that I did last year. It was so much fun!

I do not know if I truly enjoy running yet - I still finished most of my runs with the thought: "let's get this over with". But there is always this sense of accomplishment after each run and seeing my mileage increase in the activity log. I am also eager to see my speed improves. I'm 44 years old. I am sure the newbie improvement with stop eventually and my age factor will kick in. But I am going to continue to run.