New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Replies

• Fatgaz179
    Fatgaz179 Posts: 1 Member
    I have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Late May.
    After my 2nd GP visit I was told my Cholesterol had spiked. This was-I believe- due to eating Peanuts in replace of Crisps. Blood glucose remained the same so did my Blood pressure which is fine.

Anyway. In late July I joined My-Fitness-pal and followed advice on eating a low fat healthy wholegrain diet.
    My graphs show that generally my intakes have been in keeping within the guidelines.
    I have lost weight as well.
    So onto yesterday. I found a forum and was given advice to cut the Carbs ''good or ''Brown Carbs'' and bad ''White Carbs'' to reduce my blood sugar levels. Yet the wholegrain ''Good Carbs'' thing goes totally against the advice of the NHS and what my Nurse advised. But to try it out.
    I have decided to reduce my Carbs goal yet the Calculator is required to show 100% total for Carbs, Protein, and Fat. Am I OK to dramatically increase the Fats and Proteins?
    When I tried to adjust my Carbs goal to 25% intake it showed I had surpassed the new Carbs limits on everyday since joining, although they are well within the healthy eating guideline limits for non-diabetics.
    There is little I can do about the past but:-

What are the guidelines for Type 2 Diabetics some say less than 120 grams of Carbs or 25% of my total. others 30% 150 grams. What levels should I set them at?
    I have also been told to forget Calorie counting non-carbs meals and eat high fat natural versions of dairy products should I, if I cut Carbs? It goes against almost all Healthy eating guidelines I've heard.
    Today I have kept to my new Carbs level but find I'm ''told off'' for being too low on my Calories. I may have to do this on fasting days. I'm on the limits of my new Carbs and Fat Goal but a long way off Protein.

So what should I set for my goals bearing in mind my net Calorie goal is 2,000.
    And is there a Diabetic Food diary available?
  • rich_huber3
    rich_huber3 Posts: 4 Member
    Hello, about 2 months ago i went to clinic for stomach ache that wouldn't go away. When i got there they stuck me in hospital for three days.my blood sugar was 853.i oriiginally was told it was type 1 but that was changed to type 2. I have been in control and doing well. I have been scaling back my medication.I no longer need novolog and down to ten on toujeo from 70.i also take jardiance janumet and lisinopril. i think I've lost close to 60 pounds.
    I am looking for ways to eat healthy and cheap that i can put into this app . Any help would be appreciated.
  • caripink
    caripink Posts: 5 Member
    Hi I.m carol from Liverpool ,in England
    I,v recently come back to mfp,I, also am type 2,and have been for 14yrs and its no easier now than when diagnosed, its a struggle on a an everyday basis as u would all agree,the worse feeling for me is when I,v gone all day with a chocolate or biscuit,the craving gnaws away at me !!that's honestly what the feeling is,and although I,m very placid in personality, I feel very frustrated and upset and even angry cos the feeling is so powerful,.. Does anyone know why this is or how to deal with it!!please please and pretty please
  • q_m7909
    q_m7909 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I'm Meredith and diagnosed about 2 months ago. Still sulking lol but trying my best to really get into eating better. I've lost 10 lbs simply by cutting carbs, looking to add exercise to the mix so I can control sugars even better. Glad to have MFP and now a community to relate to!
  • lvelez0965
    lvelez0965 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2015
    Hi, I'm Liz. I was diagnosed in October of 2012. I'm on Metformin 1000mg 2x day, Glipizide 10mg 2x day and Januvia 100mg 1x day (just started on the Januvia a month ago). My numbers have come down out of the 300s, 400s and 500s that they were in pre-Januvia, but I'm still in the 200s (fasting). I am 110 pounds overweight and doc says the next step is insulin. I'm trying to avoid that. So, here I am. :smile:
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Hello, my name it Tenessa and I just recieved my diagnosis yesterday! I'm very confused at this point and plan on trying to set up an appoinment with a nutritionist. I look forward to the support and help I will get here!
  • ReginaPats
    ReginaPats Posts: 14 Member
    Three years ago, in January, February, March, had to be rushed to the hospital. The third time kept me in for observation. Changed my doctor, found more things wrong with then any other doctor. Also changed my Heart Doctor. Found out a year ago that I was a diabetic. Problem with me I liked sweets. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be changing my food habits. The doctor has me on I'm on metformin. Just found this site today. Was on Weight Watchers for a week, (month pass) decided to cancel and stick with this site.
  • ReginaPats
    ReginaPats Posts: 14 Member
    Lesa1129 wrote: »
    Hi! My name is Lesa and I was just diagnosed last week. Everything right now is very confusing when I go to the store it takes me hours as Im trying to read all the labels and Im still confused. The Dr set me up for a class March 4 but what do I do in the mean time. I know low carb but then I see some things say net carbs? What do I count? What do I eat? What do I really need to stay away from? The Dr put me on Metafomin and also said I need to go on Pravastatin since most diabetics have high cholestrol and mine is borderline. HELP!!!????

Lesa, get off sweets for one thing, they are a killer. I just started on this site today. Follow on this site, your daily routine. About 1200 to 1500 calories. Look for recipes, most fruits are good, baby carrots for a snack. I am wishing you all the best.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    A personal note to any previous and new posters...no one seems to go here to read and answer our " I need help questions" from this page...You will need to post your " I need help" questions down below in the Discussions part. I am new and do not have the knowledge to help with answers, but there are some very friendly, helpful and informative people down in Discussions! Just post your questions. I hope this helps someone. : )
  • believeit66
    believeit66 Posts: 9 Member
    Hi, I'm Marion. May 2015 I went into the ER with an angina attack (my first). In the ER, they asked me if I knew I was diabetic. I did not. My BG was 360 and my a1c was 11.6! They started me on metformin (1000mg twice a day) and glyburide 2x's a day. In hospital they never could get my BG below 200. After a week in hospital (had a cardiac artery by-pass x2), I went home and started eating low carb. I had to ask my doc to drop the glyburide because i was having a lot of hypoglycemic episodes once I got off hospital food (really, a hospital "diabetic" meal was things like mashed potatoes, pudding, cornbread stuffing, a roll at every meal... ). I haven't been able to afford doctors visits this summer due to some family emergencies, but monitor my BG 5x's a day. I took my a1c in August with a home kit and it was 6.3%! I'll be taking it again in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty sure it will have gone up a little as I've run out of metformin and don't have any more refills. The worst of the family finance issues are over though and I should be able to make an appointment in a couple of weeks.

I didn't know I was diabetic, but I was not surprised. I've had PCOS my entire post-puberty life, have a very strong family history, had gestational diabetes with my daughter and have had intermittent issues with what I thought was carpal-tunnel syndrome since having my daughter eleven years ago, but interestingly that has gone away this summer while on metformin and eating very low carb. I had lost 36lbs from May until August, but have gained back six pounds since running out of metformin... but i have to admit I haven't been as consistent with the low-carb eating over the past two months either. Getting back on track, because I want to live to see my kiddo grow up. I walk on a treadmill 3x's a week ... started on a treadmill because a) it's too bloody hot in north central Texas in the summer for a recent by-pass patient to exercise outside, and b) at first I was so weak and out of breath that I didn't want to get too far from help if felt dizzy or too fatigued ... I've come a long way since then!!!
  • javonjay76
    javonjay76 Posts: 48 Member
    Hi Everyone! I've been on MFP on and off for several years. I'm trying to stay committed this time. :) I was diagnosed with T2 in Jan 2012. Since then I've had a very hard time controlling my A1c last one in Sept 2015 was 9.2. In Oct 2015, I decided I was going to take control of my T2 because by my birthday in Mar 2016. I want my A1c to be at 6.0 or under it. So with the help of my Endo, I dropped Metformin, I can't tolerate the side effects. Now I'm on Victoza in the morning, Januvia in the morning and just added Lantus at night on Oct 19.

Have since a good slow downward trend. Was seeing fasting levels of 175 now seeing fast levels of 143....Still a work in progress. Been exercising and steadily increasing what I do and how much.

Well, I'm on my way to meeting my goals.
  • type2queen
    type2queen Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, just found the board. Have been a person with T2DM for 5 yrs. Once I stopped crying, I realized I could control it, diabetes didn't have to control me. So I started with the encouragement of my doctor to eat healthy. I have decreased my A1C from 10.8 to 6.3 and lost 87 pounds. I am no bikini model and have a way to go for my goal but I'm doing it! Believe it or not it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I hate to exercise though and I am at the point where that is the next step to make a difference. So here I go...
  • Jdc021
    Jdc021 Posts: 19 Member
    Hi,
    I am John in England. I got diagnosed diabetes type 2 on August 10, 2015 out of the blue. I was instantly put on metformin 500 mg. I was determined to get off the medicine and have a normal hba1c reading within three months. I have achieved that. In your figures it is 5.9% . I was burning 200 calories after every meal, by walking and modified my diet quite a bit. I use MFP with Endomondo. I also reprogrammed MFP for higher protein. I weigh 187lbs at six feet. I also refused to lose my xl size in t shirts. So I had to reduce my waist and keep my neck around 17 inches to keep that. I am now just looking to maintain, look for more interesting recipes, support others and see what my tri monthly hba1c result brings. There is no diabetes history in my family.

Good luck to you all!
    John
  • jasamjak67
    jasamjak67 Posts: 1,421 Member
    Hello, my name is Donnie. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about a year ago and I am glad I found this support group - knowing that there are many more people out there suffering like I am. My latest A1C reading was 6.5 - doc wants that number to get below 6.0. I am currently on 1500 mg of Metformin (500 AM - 500 PM - 500 before bed) but I am determined to lose my remaining 47 pounds and eliminate Metformin out of my daily life. I applaud all of you for not giving up and fighting hard - EYE OF THE TIGER my friends!
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Hi, I'm Jenn. I'm T2D, diagnosed in October 2014. Started taking my health more seriously in July 2015. I've lost 74lbs since then with 84lbs to go! I take metformin and tanzeum. I carb count and use my BMR to set my calories at a deficit. I'm happy to have found a group of diabetics that I can relate to!
  • lkrajain
    lkrajain Posts: 21 Member
    Hi, my name is Linda. I've been type 2 since they took my thyroid out in 2001. Because I have thyroid cancer that spread to my lungs, diabetes has taken a back seat and I definitely don't eat right. Interestingly enough, my A1C results over the years have been 7 or below, not bad for not watching what I eat, but since I'm exhausted all the time, I figured it's because of the higher blood sugars and the because I need to lose weight.

I've tried MFP before and wasn't successful because I didn't try hard enough. I'm trying again, joined some groups for support that I definitely need, and even made an appointment with a diabetes nutritionist.

Here's to 2016 and the start of my weight loss!

Thanks for listening.

• BethFerg
    BethFerg Posts: 2 Member
    Hello everyone! I'm very glad to find a group of people who struggle with the same disease. I was diagnosed a type 2 diabetics on December 14, 2015. I shouldn't have been shocked but I was. It definitely runs in my family but because I'm not over weight I thought I would get a pass. Not so! I've always been one of those people who could pretty much eat anything and not worry about gaining much. When I turned 50 I put on 20 pounds almost overnight and I just attributed it to age, menopause, slowing metabolism. And I continued to eat whatever I wanted. I began to suspect something wasn't quite right about nine months ago but put off going to the doctor. I finally went in early December because my medical insurance deductible had already been met. Sure enough A1C was 11.7. Doc immediately put me on metformin 2x day, gave me a meter to check glucose level first thing every morning. It took a few days to start coming down and then went up quite a bit at Christmas but has been coming steadily down ever since. I'm using MFP to log all food and exercise. At first I was terrified to eat anything! I'm reading every label but I'm having the biggest struggle trying to figure out what to eat for breakfast. Hoping to find some other picky eaters here!

Nice to find you all!

Beth,
    Olive Branch, MS
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Hi, I'm Judy. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in July, 2015. Actually, my doctor told me on my birthday. It was no surprise, but I was so depressed over it.
    What happened was, in November 2013, I had an ERCP procedure to remove a gallstone. The doctor nicked my pancreas which brought on pancreatitis. I knew something was wrong that night, so I went to the hospital in an ambulance and woke up 15 days later in ICU. My pancreas had contracted C-difficle, or I did, but either way, I had necrotizing pancreatitis as a result. As my daughter tells me, I was in a coma for 15 days, my lungs collapsed so I was on a respirator, and they would tell her from one day to the next that I wasn't going to make it through the night. I spent 4 1/2 months in the hospital, most of it in isolation because of the infection.
    Because of this adventure, I now have half a pancreas, and chronic pancreatitis. If I overeat certain foods (and I'm still trying to figure them out) I'll have a flare up for days. So, my doctor and I knew that one day I would have diabetes, I just hoped it would be when I was in my eighties or older.
    I've been taking the Diabetes workshops given by the Canadian Diabetes Association and logging my food choices and blood sugar numbers here on MFP.
    I'm really in a state of denial most days still. I also have (we think) some kind of rheumatoid arthritis and I'm taking prednisone for that. My doctor had said that raises blood sugar as well, and the rheumatologist is slowly weaning me off it. In my mind, once I'm no longer taking prednisone, I won't be diabetic anymore.
    I have very good doctors here in Ottawa, but in September this year, I got another 'collection' as they call it near my pancreas. They're not sure, but they think there may be a hole in my pancreas. It caused a fistula, so I have a drainage tube in my side ever since. Fingers crossed, they can take it out next week when I see them. The gave me a shot to slow down the draining, but it didn't really help. So two other options remain, another ERCP to put a stent in my pancreatic duct where it meets the small intestine (it may not be wide enough), or another surgery to find out if there is a hole or permanent fistula and remove that part of my pancreas. As you can imagine, I'm not looking forward to either one.
    Sorry for such a long introduction, but, excuse the language, I'm still really pissed off about the whole thing.
    There is no diabetes in my family except my granny who ate and drank too much all her life and it caught up with her in her eighties.
    So, I hope to check in with you all from time to time and see how things are going.
    Oh, and for the last two weeks my blood sugars have finally come down and stabilized. My doctor even said they were good. I started out with 14% A1C and my average daily blood sugars were never below 21. So, I must be doing something right.
  • tiffanysotoxo
    tiffanysotoxo Posts: 36 Member
    Hi Everyone! I was recently diagnosed in November that I had T2D, it was extremely shocking to me as my doctor assumes I've had it for about two years along with PCOS. Hearing that I had these two health complications were very hard for me to handle, but I was very happy to know I finally had some answers to why I was suffering from a lot of the symptoms I had. With this wake up call I realized I only have it's about time I get off my butt and become a healthier person. I take 1500mg of Metformin currently, I hope that soon I won't even need the medication anymore cause my goal is to kick this to the curb!